• Announcements

• Lindsay

National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016   05/01/2016

Proclamation 9433 of April 28, 2016 National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016 A Proclamation Nearly 44 million American adults, and millions of children, experience mental health conditions each year, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress. Although we have made progress expanding mental health coverage and elevating the conversation about mental health, too many people still do not get the help they need. Our Nation is founded on the belief that we must look out for one another—and whether it affects our family members, friends, co-workers, or those unknown to us—we do a service for each other when we reach out and help those struggling with mental health issues. This month, we renew our commitment to ridding our society of the stigma associated with mental illness, encourage those living with mental health conditions to get the help they need, and reaffirm our pledge to ensure those who need help have access to the support, acceptance, and resources they deserve. In the last 7 years, our country has made extraordinary progress in expanding mental health coverage for more people across America. The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from discriminating against people based on pre-existing conditions, requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services in individual and small group markets, and expands mental health and substance use disorder parity policies, which are estimated to help more than 60 million Americans. Nearly 15 million more Americans have gained Medicaid coverage since October 2013, significantly improving access to mental health care. And because of more than $100 million in funding from the Affordable Care Act, community health centers have expanded behavioral health services for nearly 900,000 people nationwide over the past 2 years. Still, far too few Americans experiencing mental illnesses do not receive the care and treatment they need. That is why my most recent Budget proposal includes a new half-billion dollar investment to improve access to mental health care, engage individuals with serious mental illness in care, and help ensure behavioral health care systems work for everyone. Our Nation has made strong advances in improving prevention, increasing early intervention, and expanding treatment of mental illnesses. Earlier this year, I established a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force, which aims to ensure that coverage for mental health benefits is comparable to coverage for medical and surgical care, improve understanding of the requirements of the law, and expand compliance with it. Mental health should be treated as part of a person's overall health, and we must ensure individuals living with mental health conditions can get the treatment they need. My Administration also continues to invest in science and research through the BRAIN initiative to enhance our understanding of the complexities of the human brain and to make it easier to diagnose and treat mental health disorders early. One of our most profound obligations as a Nation is to support the men and women in uniform who return home and continue fighting battles against mental illness. Last year, I signed the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which fills critical gaps in serving veterans with post-traumatic stress and other illnesses, increases peer support and outreach, and recruits more talented individuals to work on mental health issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This law will make it easier for veterans to get the care they need when they need it. All Americans, including service members, can get immediate assistance by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK or by calling 1-800-662-HELP. During National Mental Health Awareness Month, we recognize those Americans who live with mental illness and substance use disorders, and we pledge solidarity with their families who need our support as well. Let us strive to ensure people living with mental health conditions know that they are not alone, that hope exists, and that the possibility of healing and thriving is real. Together, we can help everyone get the support they need to recover as they continue along the journey to get well. NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2016 as National Mental Health Awareness Month. I call upon citizens, government agencies, organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to raise mental health awareness and continue helping Americans live longer, healthier lives. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
punkerplus

Cymbalta Success Story

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello everyone,

Long time reader here, but I don't post often. I noticed that when I was trying to read about Cymbalta, there were very few success stories, and I just wanted to share mine to let people know that this drug can help.

I'm 20 years old, and Cymbalta was the first med I was ever put on. I was having problems with depression and some anxiety as well. When I first started Cymbalta, I hated it - it made me feel very uncomfortable for the first week, and incredibly anxious. I started at 30mg and went up to 60mg gradually. After about 3 weeks, I started feeling a bit better, day by day. I'd say around the 5th week I was feeling the full effects, and I felt amazing - I don't think I realized how depressed I was until I got out of it. I've been on the drug for about 3 months now, and I can honestly say that it saved my life. I still have my bad days of course, which I think we all do, but this drug has really helped me a lot. I've also lost about 20 pounds, which I'm not complaining about.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to talk to you about my experience with Cymbalta. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it has certainly helped me. I'm doing much better in school now, and my social life has turned itself around as well.

Have a good day everyone!

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Hi punkerplus:

Thanks for the post and the helpful information. Welcome to DF. I'm delighted that Cymbalta has been helpful for you and your positive experience is surely support for others.

Tim

Posted

It's wonderful that you've found it so helpful! My Dr. suggested Cymbalta for what may be cyclic depression -although serious depressions runs in my family - my mother passed last April after years of taking Amitriptyline for depression and fibromyalgia ( she couldn't wake from it one morning) .... now here I am at 37, survivor of a serious car wreck who bounced back really well but then got hit with nerve pain I cant find relief from -anyway - when i feel good I stay positive I can find help.... but my dr suggested Cymbalta - I took it ONCE - 30 mg last Friday and awoke from sleep approx 2 hrs later with Diarrhea and nausea from hell - you'd think I'd eaten bad chicken for a year ;) - I didn't take it again...but here I am almost a full week (It'll be a week tomorrow) since taking one tablet and still have bad diarrhea...even have tried Pepto Bismol to stop it !

Cymbalta made me yawn incessantly, made me feel like I was completely disengaged from the world around me, nausea so bad and diarrhea that has yet to resolve - I would not recommend this med to anyone.

Posted

Hello, just wanted to chime in that I found cymbalta to be a very good anti-depressant, I worked my way up to 60 mg and felt much better mentally, but alas I developed a rash on it and had to discontinue it as a rash means I am allergic to it. But it did help my depression while I was on it and I still respect the medication. also its a medication that works on two happy hormones i.e. it boosts your seratonines *and* dopeamines where as SSRI depressants only stimulate your serotonins.

I would recommend this medication in a second, it was a shame I was allergic to it, but alas, I could not maintain taking 60 mg which is the proper level for depression. I wish i could have though, its my fourth try on an anti-depressant in eight months but alas i developed an allergic reaction to all four.

I am now on trazadone and my rash has gone away and each day I am feeling better so it appears this may be the *one* for me, only time will tell.

You cannot not recommend a med to anyone just because you have a bad reaction to it. Other people may do quite well on Cymbalta and I have read lots of success stories on DF about it, and its tried and proven by the FDA to be a good anti-depressant and its track record is quite good...

Glad to hear you hit it off with cymbalta, success stories like yours will make alot of people feel more comfortable taking this med with stories like yours. Positive experiences are always welcome on DF...

Thank you for sharing yours.

Posted

I am on 30mg for 6 months now and I feel great;no side effects...o well I got my appetite back and from being anorexic I got to gain some weight...but I am happy and give 100% every day!

Posted

Glad it's working for you. I love it!