Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta Success Story

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 punkerplus

punkerplus

Just Registered

ID: 53345

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

Hello everyone,

Long time reader here, but I don't post often. I noticed that when I was trying to read about Cymbalta, there were very few success stories, and I just wanted to share mine to let people know that this drug can help.
I'm 20 years old, and Cymbalta was the first med I was ever put on. I was having problems with depression and some anxiety as well. When I first started Cymbalta, I hated it - it made me feel very uncomfortable for the first week, and incredibly anxious. I started at 30mg and went up to 60mg gradually. After about 3 weeks, I started feeling a bit better, day by day. I'd say around the 5th week I was feeling the full effects, and I felt amazing - I don't think I realized how depressed I was until I got out of it. I've been on the drug for about 3 months now, and I can honestly say that it saved my life. I still have my bad days of course, which I think we all do, but this drug has really helped me a lot. I've also lost about 20 pounds, which I'm not complaining about.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to talk to you about my experience with Cymbalta. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it has certainly helped me. I'm doing much better in school now, and my social life has turned itself around as well.

Have a good day everyone!

#2 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

ID: 51914

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:56 AM

Hi punkerplus:

Thanks for the post and the helpful information. Welcome to DF. I'm delighted that Cymbalta has been helpful for you and your positive experience is surely support for others.

Tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#3 MindBody

MindBody

Just Registered

ID: 57863

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

It's wonderful that you've found it so helpful! My Dr. suggested Cymbalta for what may be cyclic depression -although serious depressions runs in my family - my mother passed last April after years of taking Amitriptyline for depression and fibromyalgia ( she couldn't wake from it one morning) .... now here I am at 37, survivor of a serious car wreck who bounced back really well but then got hit with nerve pain I cant find relief from -anyway - when i feel good I stay positive I can find help.... but my dr suggested Cymbalta - I took it ONCE - 30 mg last Friday and awoke from sleep approx 2 hrs later with Diarrhea and nausea from hell - you'd think I'd eaten bad chicken for a year ;) - I didn't take it again...but here I am almost a full week (It'll be a week tomorrow) since taking one tablet and still have bad diarrhea...even have tried Pepto Bismol to stop it !

Cymbalta made me yawn incessantly, made me feel like I was completely disengaged from the world around me, nausea so bad and diarrhea that has yet to resolve - I would not recommend this med to anyone.

#4 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

ID: 50382

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

Hello, just wanted to chime in that I found cymbalta to be a very good anti-depressant, I worked my way up to 60 mg and felt much better mentally, but alas I developed a rash on it and had to discontinue it as a rash means I am allergic to it. But it did help my depression while I was on it and I still respect the medication. also its a medication that works on two happy hormones i.e. it boosts your seratonines *and* dopeamines where as SSRI depressants only stimulate your serotonins.
I would recommend this medication in a second, it was a shame I was allergic to it, but alas, I could not maintain taking 60 mg which is the proper level for depression. I wish i could have though, its my fourth try on an anti-depressant in eight months but alas i developed an allergic reaction to all four.
I am now on trazadone and my rash has gone away and each day I am feeling better so it appears this may be the *one* for me, only time will tell.
You cannot not recommend a med to anyone just because you have a bad reaction to it. Other people may do quite well on Cymbalta and I have read lots of success stories on DF about it, and its tried and proven by the FDA to be a good anti-depressant and its track record is quite good...
Glad to hear you hit it off with cymbalta, success stories like yours will make alot of people feel more comfortable taking this med with stories like yours. Positive experiences are always welcome on DF...
Thank you for sharing yours.
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#5 hope101

hope101

ID: 50416

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

I am on 30mg for 6 months now and I feel great;no side effects...o well I got my appetite back and from being anorexic I got to gain some weight...but I am happy and give 100% every day!

#6 Nappers

Nappers

ID: 54885

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:48 AM

Glad it's working for you. I love it!
YOU'RE A SURVIVOR! DON'T FORGET THAT! - All Things Are Possible With God!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users