Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Thinking About Coming Off Mirtazapine, Tapering Advice Or Experiences?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Mel d

Mel d

ID: 50965

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:19 AM

Hello, I have been on Mirtazapine for nearly 7 months now I worked my way up to the maximum 45mg then with stomach and feeling faint problems the doctor reduced it down to 30mg which I took for a month but still experienced the same problems so now I am down to 15mg and have been for the last 2 weeks and still experiencing the stomach and feeling faint but the stomach has got a little better.
I went to my new drs yesterday who has told me 3 ways to taper, I wish that he told me one way that would have been much easier.
Firstly he said with Mirtazapine you can just stop it without tapering then I explained when I went down from 30 to 15 I had servere nausea for a couple of days thats when he said take 15mg every other night or cut the 15mg in half which is a bit of a job as the sol tabs are very small.
Has anyone come off Mirtazapine completely and what did you go through once you were finally off them?
My dr said the worse thing that could happen is depression can come back but I believe this takes months to happen but I am not sure.
Thanks in advance

#2 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

ID: 50382

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hello, really we cannot tell you the best way to phase off, just follow the instructions of the doctor. You can just continue to reduce the dosage by halfing the med again and again until you are at such a small piece of the pill you can stop. There is no hurry in the phasing off as with each reduction in dosage you should experience less and less withdrawal effects.
I hope not taking any AD is the proper thing for you. I know everyone reacts differently when phased off an AD. Some continue to do okay, some start to have depression creep back in pretty fast within a matter of weeks, some perhaps months. So there is no hard or fast rule, but I do advise you to keep an eye out for depression to start creeping back and you may need to just switch to another AD you tolerate better. Its a matter of trial and patience with any AD. Just be careful you are doing yourself an injustice by not taking anything at all is my real advice here.
Good Luck and hope you can do this, and also be aware that it can take different tries by different AD's to fine *the one* that works best for you, incase you have to start up again.
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 i_wish

i_wish

ID: 55646

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

Have you considered taking the 7.5 mg dose in regular pill form instead of trying to break the very delicate 15mg sol-tabs in half? I didn't know if you knew that they made the 7.5 mg. pill. I sure wish they would come out with a 7.5 mg sol-tab version. I'm on 22.5 at the moment and trying to break those 15mg. pills in half can be difficult.
Best wishes,
i_wish

#4 Mel d

Mel d

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

[quote name='i_wish' timestamp='1296415390' post='717316']
Have you considered taking the 7.5 mg dose in regular pill form instead of trying to break the very delicate 15mg sol-tabs in half? I didn't know if you knew that they made the 7.5 mg. pill. I sure wish they would come out with a 7.5 mg sol-tab version. I'm on 22.5 at the moment and trying to break those 15mg. pills in half can be difficult.
Best wishes,
i_wish.

Hello, yes its difficult breaking a sol tab in half, I took my first 7.5mg last night and had immediate insommia my stomach hurts and I feel sick and have no appetite and dizziness, hopefully its just a set back and nothing else as I can't bare not having any sleep.
Has anyone experienced these symptoms while withdrawing from Mirtazapine?
Thanks

#5 Mel d

Mel d

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:37 AM

Day 2 of reduction of 15mg to 7.5mg, slept a bit better then the first night but still feeling sick all the time and a little anxiety, don't know how long I can cope with the nausea and no appetite but going to take domperidone to see if this helps.

#6 Mel d

Mel d

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:11 AM

Day 4 of reduction from 30mg to 7.5mg, still feel very sick, stomach cramps, fuzzy head and definately upsetting my IBS.
Managed to get hold of my gp to get advice he seems surprised of the withdrawl but we have decided perhaps I am rushing to come off so have decided to go back up to 15mg for 2 weeks and then he will prescribe liquid form Mirtazapine costing them £66 so I was told by the pharmasist and only one company makes it here in the uk.
Then after the 2 weeks taper very very slowly.

#7 flavadave

flavadave

ID: 55982

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:43 AM

Iknow that a friend of mine has had success tapering paxil by using a solution to reduce his dose by 10% every week or other week. Paxil is a really rough one when it comes to discontinuation syndrome so I suspect this method would work well with mirt. I would discuss something similar with my doc and dont be afraid to back up or hang out at a higher dose for a while if you start to feel bad. It just takes time so dont push yourself.

#8 Ricardo

Ricardo

ID: 37038

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

Hi. After about 2 years on Remeron @ 30mg I decided about two weeks ago that I feel ready to come off it. Having had horrendous experiences coming off Cipralex and later Paxil, I planned to go 30- 22.5 - 15 - 7.5 - 0 over a period of 4 to 6 weeks. I cut the pills into (approximately) 4 pieces of 7.5 mg and tried a week at 22.5mg. No bad side effects but I really noticed the sedative effect at the lower dose and decided to skip the 15mg and go straight to 7.5mg. Still no side effects except a bit of anxiety which I attribute to being slightly nervous about coming off a/d completely. After 3 or 4 nights at 7.5 I stopped completely and really feel pretty good - no brain zaps, vertigo, depersonalization, weeping...nothing like my previous experiences. I'm not sleeping as deeply, obviously, but I am feeling much more alert, more energetic. Hoping to settle into a regular sleep pattern and life without depression from now on. I must say that Mirtazapine has been a great medication for me and wish everyone good luck whether on or coming off this drug.

#9 Mel d

Mel d

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

[quote name='Ricardo' timestamp='1296747161' post='718728']
Hi. After about 2 years on Remeron @ 30mg I decided about two weeks ago that I feel ready to come off it. Having had horrendous experiences coming off Cipralex and later Paxil, I planned to go 30- 22.5 - 15 - 7.5 - 0 over a period of 4 to 6 weeks. I cut the pills into (approximately) 4 pieces of 7.5 mg and tried a week at 22.5mg. No bad side effects but I really noticed the sedative effect at the lower dose and decided to skip the 15mg and go straight to 7.5mg. Still no side effects except a bit of anxiety which I attribute to being slightly nervous about coming off a/d completely. After 3 or 4 nights at 7.5 I stopped completely and really feel pretty good - no brain zaps, vertigo, depersonalization, weeping...nothing like my previous experiences. I'm not sleeping as deeply, obviously, but I am feeling much more alert, more energetic. Hoping to settle into a regular sleep pattern and life without depression from now on. I must say that Mirtazapine has been a great medication for me and wish everyone good luck whether on or coming off this drug.

Hi, Its good to hear a good story about Mirtazapine when I have read so many bad things about it, I don't know why I am having a bad time with reduction but I have only been on it since 1st August 2010. I have also read that if coming off meds too fast you can get withdrawl but I thought with Mirtazapine you didn't get withdrawls but anyway I don't know how long to leave it before I give in.

#10 flavadave

flavadave

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

Leave it at least until you feel stable at the new dose, but more optimally until you feel physically and emotionally ready to make you next drop. Go very slow at first until you find your threshold. Starting out, I would give it a minumum of two weeks before dropping.

You decide when you're ready to drop. Noone else.

#11 Mel d

Mel d

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

[quote name='flavadave' timestamp='1296763292' post='718806']
Leave it at least until you feel stable at the new dose, but more optimally until you feel physically and emotionally ready to make you next drop. Go very slow at first until you find your threshold. Starting out, I would give it a minumum of two weeks before dropping.

You decide when you're ready to drop. Noone else.

Hi, I thought that I was at a stable dose at 15mg, I have come down from 45mg though since a week before Christmas I went down from 45mg to 30mg with just 1 day and night feeling unwell, which was good and then 30mg to 15mg around 2 weeks ago and now 15mg to 7.5mg a horrific 4 days of hell, I really want off these because I have been through a lot being on them with stomach problems been hospitalized twice and had off visits to the hospital they cannot find a cause for the stomach problems.

#12 MsLoveMozart

MsLoveMozart

Just Registered

ID: 57404

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

I have been on 15mg Mirtazipine for 5 years and started coming off at Xmas. Tried before but went back on them because of withdrawal effects. This time went VERY slowly. Cut down to 7.5mg at first. Waited for 2 weeks - the effects didn't start for a fortnight before and this time was no different. Felt really rough after a couple of weeks: sleepless, stomach problems, pins and needles.

Started feeling a bit better after another week and reduced dose down to a quarter. After that, had a problem as the tablets are too small to cut into smaller parts. So - got a 10ml syringe, crushed up a tablet, mixed in 10ml of water, filled the syringe and then took 2ml, then 1.5ml, then 1ml then (last night) nothing. Still woke up at the hole of dawn but I read on another blog that it will take at least 6 weeks of "nothing" before feeling completely normal again - so am not expecting miracles anytime soon!

Generally, feel more alert without the Mirtazipine but getting a bit weepy now and then for no reason. Quite nice to feel emotion again, though. Was getting a bit emotionally dead on the drugs.

#13 Mel d

Mel d

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:09 AM

[quote name='MsLoveMozart' timestamp='1296854759' post='719080']
I have been on 15mg Mirtazipine for 5 years and started coming off at Xmas. Tried before but went back on them because of withdrawal effects. This time went VERY slowly. Cut down to 7.5mg at first. Waited for 2 weeks - the effects didn't start for a fortnight before and this time was no different. Felt really rough after a couple of weeks: sleepless, stomach problems, pins and needles.

Started feeling a bit better after another week and reduced dose down to a quarter. After that, had a problem as the tablets are too small to cut into smaller parts. So - got a 10ml syringe, crushed up a tablet, mixed in 10ml of water, filled the syringe and then took 2ml, then 1.5ml, then 1ml then (last night) nothing. Still woke up at the hole of dawn but I read on another blog that it will take at least 6 weeks of "nothing" before feeling completely normal again - so am not expecting miracles anytime soon!

Generally, feel more alert without the Mirtazipine but getting a bit weepy now and then for no reason. Quite nice to feel emotion again, though. Was getting a bit emotionally dead on the drugs.

Hi, I have gone back up to 15mg the last 2 days and feel no different my stomachs still hurts everymorning I think its IBS playing up,and feeling unwell so I will probably try 15mg for a few more days then try alternate days of 7.5mg because I want so badly to come off these pills as I am emotionless and hate it.
I will be picking up my prescription on Monday for liquid Mirtazapine and probably try to drop a couple of mg a week or 2.

#14 Mel d

Mel d

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:03 AM

Hi, I have gone back up to 15mg and have been on them 3 days but still feel terrible I can barely get out of bed in the morning and feel so tired but can't sleep and my IBS is terrible.
Been back to the drs and has given me something for IBS. I can't remember feeling this tired on the 15mg, I am waiting to pick up my liquid Mirtazapine so hopefully here tomorrow.
The thing that concerns me is that I am getting those bad thoughts again but have tried to keep busy, the dr has told me to drop 1mg per wk to come off Mirtazapine does this sound too quick?

#15 flavadave

flavadave

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

You know, this might be way off, but I remember reading that it's important to drink a lot of water when you're taking mirt because it can mess with your guts absorption of water leading to harder stools and constipation. I did notice that I had a harder time getting everything out when I started. Maybe drinking more water and adding a probiotic would help? I take Udo's Choice adult formula with every meal and I always go multiple times a day. Make sure you keep the probiotic cold though since there are live organisms in it.

As for it being too fast, I wouldn't think so.

#16 Mel d

Mel d

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:31 AM

Hi, Thanks for all your replys I have finally got the Mirtazapine liquid now and I am now taking 11.25mg anxiety is a bit of an issue this morning but have been to my councillor and feel better. The tapering plan of my dr is 1ml is 15mg but as I am down to 11.25mg the amount in liquid is 0.75ml then everyweek go down by 0.1ml, so next week to round it down my dose will be 0.6,then 0.5 and so on.
Has anyone got any more experiences tapering off of Mirt?
Thanks

#17 Mel d

Mel d

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:45 AM

Hello, I am taking 10.5mg of Mirtazapine liquid which is 0.7ml, but I am having difficulty with anxiety it seems to just happen without thinking anything.
Has anyone experienced anxiety whilst coming off the meds?
Thanks

#18 Mel d

Mel d

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:31 AM

Hello, I am on day 2 of reduction of mirtazapine and I am taking 0.6ml/9mg.
My anxiety has decreased but this morning I woke up at 6 oclock with flu like symptoms, Headache at the back of my head, a little nausea,sore throat,stuffed up nose and generally feeling awful.
Does anyone know whether the flu like symptom is a withdrawl side effect or a allergy?
Thanks

#19 Mel d

Mel d

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:20 AM

Hello, I am now down to 0.5ml/7.5mg of Mirtazapine and only have a slight stomach ache but manageable.
My mood has been better then ever since reducing the dose,I don't feel so drugged up in the mornings.
I have noticed that I don't get indigestion/heartburn anymore like I did on the sol tab version, so anyone suffering from heartburn try the liquid form Mirtazapine.

#20 Pam5231949

Pam5231949

ID: 61694

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

Hello, I am now down to 0.5ml/7.5mg of Mirtazapine and only have a slight stomach ache but manageable.
My mood has been better then ever since reducing the dose,I don't feel so drugged up in the mornings.
I have noticed that I don't get indigestion/heartburn anymore like I did on the sol tab version, so anyone suffering from heartburn try the liquid form Mirtazapine.

Hi Mel d,

I just saw your posts, and was wondering if you made it off Mirt. I tried in March, but had to reinstate. Now I'm tapering really slowly and am down to 1.2 mg, but anxious to go off entirely. Last time, I jumped off at 1.05 mg, and after 10 days had intense stomach pain, nausea, and then insomnia. It was awful. Hope you are doing well. Pam

#21 machine

machine

Just Registered

ID: 70064

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:52 PM

hi , i was always on 15 mg , and now i want to give them up , all i do is sleep , not good !

#22 ZHBully

ZHBully

ID: 69644

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

Hi machine,

At doses up to 30mg the tiredness effect is more prononouced - at higher doses it is meant to be more stimulating (though that wasn't noticeable in my experience). Perhaps you could talk to your dr about increasing your dose if tiredness is too much of a problem?

Ultimately I guess you have to decide for yourself if the tiredness effect is making you feel worse than your moods are alone. If that is the case, but you don't feel ready to be 'free range', maybe your dr could suggest other medication too?

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users