Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Depression And Intermittent Explosive Disorder

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 malapp1

malapp1

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

Depression and Intermittent Explosive Disorder

Does anyone suffer from, or know of anyone who is suffering from Depression and Intermittent Explosive Disorder. I am in dire need of help, my marriage is about to end and my wife is going to trial for Domestic Violence and Assault.

My wife is 51 and she has been diagnosed with Major Depression and she does not take her medication. In the past, there has been alcohol and illegal substance abuse. She has never had a relationship that has lasted more than three years. She has frequent outburst of rage and anger. The anger has turned violent on several occasions.

Most recently, just before Christmas she had a violent outburst. During this episode, she turned violent and was subsequently arrested for domestic violence. She was under a tremendous amount of stress associated with her child's hospitalization for a psychotic episode.

Normally, she first becomes withdrawn and then she will start subtle but purposeful verbal attacks that continue to escalate with no provocation. This will normally take one to two days. Usually, she will become very angry and extremely abusive towards loved ones. Frequently, these episodes will lead to a physical attack.

She does not remember what she was mad about, she will take some meaningless reason and use it as justification and ignore whatever it is she did. I have seen these episodes last for days or even weeks. She has seen pictures of what she did during this last attack. Despite the photos and her arrest, she does not believe that she did it. She can't remember what she was angry about and is so certain that she didn't do it, she has plead innocent to the charges.

Yesterday, a friend attempted to converse with her about the attack. She is adamant that the attack was justified but refuses to acknowledge that she did it. She has absolutely no idea what set her off and continues to hold the belief that it wasn't her.

Can anyone cast some light on this subject.

Edited by lindahurt, 26 January 2011 - 09:06 AM.

#2 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

Hello, I am not a doctor or professinal but I highly recommend see a psychiatrist for a diagnosis and perhaps medication. A general practioner is okay for usual issues like depression, but I think or suspect her mood swings are indicative of perhaps a different disorder, I can only suggest that maybe she is bi-polar ??. See we cannot make diagnosis's here on DF, it takes a professional of which we are not. Different illnesses require different medications, if she is only depressed, that calls for an anti-depressant, if she is bi-polar that calls for a *mood stabilizer* etc. etc... Definately she has problems as you fully realize. If in the USA, Canada or Australia, a psychiatrist is the expert on this type of diagnosing and prescribing medications, I would get a referral from a general practioner and get her in to see a psychiatrist asap...
Sorry I have no other advice for you...
Good Luck and do get her in to a psychiatrist asap... there are issues here that right now I think are beyond a therapist who eventually will be good for her to see also as talk therapy can help with anger issues, but since she has problems even remembering these outbursts, thats a little more major and how can a therapist help her with talk therapy when she cant even remember. Once on a medication and stabilized, then she might be able to make use of a therpist to help her cope with her condition.
Good Luck and best wishes.
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 malapp1

malapp1

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

I wish I could get her to a doctor, she has a no-contact order and has fled the State and she has done nothing but deny that there is a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users