Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How To Help Someone Who Is Paranoid And Delusional?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bluebelle

Bluebelle

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

Hi everyone,

I hope this finds you all well, or as well as you can be.

I had no idea where to turn to advice, not sure if this is the right place.

I'm a member of a (non-mental-health) forum and there's someone I chat to regularly there. She hasn't told me what her exact condition is but that she suffers from paranoia, delusions, fixations and psychotic episodes. She's on a lot of medication including anti-psychotics and sees her GP, nurse and psychiatrist regularly - she is not due to see them for a few days though. She also has had eating disorders and self-harmed - don't know how much that is ongoing.

Well she's just posted and is clearly very unwell from several things she said. I don't know how to help - I want to respond but don't know what to say that won't make things worse. She is very paranoid about going the doctors, feels they will harm her. She knows something is wrong and said she is taking a lot of haloperidol. I've seen her unwell before but not as much as this and she has ended up getting help and being ok.

I don't live anywhere near her and I don't actually know her other than as a username and someone I have come to care for.

Could anyone advise how to respond - or would I be better not to?

Thanks,

BB

#2 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a member of a (non-mental-health) forum and there's someone I chat to regularly there. She hasn't told me what her exact condition is but that she suffers from paranoia, delusions, fixations and psychotic episodes. She's on a lot of medication including anti-psychotics and sees her GP, nurse and psychiatrist regularly - she is not due to see them for a few days though. She also has had eating disorders and self-harmed - don't know how much that is ongoing.

Well she's just posted and is clearly very unwell from several things she said. I don't know how to help - I want to respond but don't know what to say that won't make things worse. She is very paranoid about going the doctors, feels they will harm her. She knows something is wrong and said she is taking a lot of haloperidol. I've seen her unwell before but not as much as this and she has ended up getting help and being ok.

I don't live anywhere near her and I don't actually know her other than as a username and someone I have come to care for.

Thanks,

BB

Hi I am not to sure if what I say will help but from what you are saying she could just be misdiagnosed and maybe on the wrong medication. I am not a doctor I am just being subjective. Perhaps skizofrenia (spelling?) I have had paranoia episodes and I was put on a low dose of zyprexa which helped. Maybe this person needs to reassess the meds with a doctor. When I was at my worst I was admitted to the psych ward and I met someone who had the Skizo illness and she was so afraid of the doctors and thought everyone was after her. I hope that helps.
The Guy. - Love is patient, love is kind, love never fails.

#3 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hello, my advice, is to not get involved with suggesting anything other than seeing a good *psychiatrist* for her condition. We are not allowed to diagnose or recommend medications on DF. It really takes an up front and close contact with a good professional for a proper diagnoses and treatment. I would recommend that if she is only seeing a general praction (which I doubt if she has these kind of problems) that a good psychiatrist would be a better professional to see, they are the experts in USA, Canada and Australia.
You could do harm to suggest, or recommend anything other than seeing a good psychiatrist as alas neither we nor you are in any position to help her. Just be a good friend and support person for her to talk to is the best therapy you can provide for her. She has got to help herself by getting proper medical attention and there is nothing more you can do than suggest a psychiatrist.
Sorry but I recommend hands off, just try and push her to see a psychiatrist if she isnt, perhaps you can allay her fears and help her with that issue, but that is all you can really do.
Good Luck
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#4 r90

r90

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

Hey there Bluebelle,

How sweet and kind from you to truly care about your friend, how rare such things are nowadays! Well of course we're not mental health professionals, but from my own experience and also her on DF, I can suggest some tips:

*Always encourage her to follow her treatment and to regularly take her medications as prescribed.

*Try to be as positive as possible with her, because sometimes psychotic episodes can be as hard as you can imagine.

*Always support her under whatever condition she's in, those people do lack emotional support and listening ears.

I hope I was a bit helpful...

r90
Borderline Personality Disorder: Is it just a diagnosis label or a constant chaos of suffering?

DepressionForums.org is a community support group for mental health issues, our job is to support, if you're seeking a medical advice or treatment, please refer to a qualified mental health professional
Posted Image

#5 r90

r90

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

...Perhaps skizofrenia (spelling?)...

theguy, how have you been? It's schizophrenia.
Borderline Personality Disorder: Is it just a diagnosis label or a constant chaos of suffering?

DepressionForums.org is a community support group for mental health issues, our job is to support, if you're seeking a medical advice or treatment, please refer to a qualified mental health professional
Posted Image

#6 Bluebelle

Bluebelle

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

Thank you all for your kind replies. You have helped me feel better!

I guess I'm not interested in what the diagnosis is, that's not my job! My instinct was to encourage her to see her doctor or one of her team - was just afraid she'd think I was part of the conspiracy and I didn't want to make her paranoia worse.

r90 - thank you, that helps a lot, I will follow those guidelines.

Have sent her a message - tried to keep it simple as she says she is confused and reading is hard. Mainly just sent her love and good thoughts and I will keep an eye out for her.

I really appreciate your support - thanks again.

BB xxx

#7 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:35 PM

Since being on Wellbutrin I have had more energy and less depressed! I hope this keeps up!
The Guy. - Love is patient, love is kind, love never fails.

#8 r90

r90

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:19 AM

Since being on Wellbutrin I have had more energy and less depressed! I hope this keeps up!

Glad to hear that!

Posted Image

#9 Guest_lucyvp_*

Guest_lucyvp_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

BB

Bluebell,
This woman is very lucky to have you as an online friend. I would guess that she does not have many friends in her life. This is someone with very heavy-duty mental health problems, probably paranoid schizophrenia. She has professional helpers if she chooses to seek them out. I believe you do her a great service by listening to her. I do not believe that there is anything more you can or should do, except to continue being there for her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users