Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Lorazepam (Ativan) With Zoloft

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 anxiouslydepressed

anxiouslydepressed

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

Hi,

I have started taking Zoloft 2.5 months ago for depression and anxiety, but have only very slowly increased the dose and now reached the dose my pdoc thinks should be right for me (150mg). At the beginning I had a severe side effect of anxiety and panic attacks, which then subsided, but I am still experiencing more anxiety than before the Zoloft. I have been taking Lorazepam (Ativan) for this side effect. It helps me sleep and somewhat with the anxiety during the day, but also makes me very drowsy and hurts my memory. I would like to whin off it now that my Zoloft dose will be stable for a while. I stopped taking it during the day and am currently only taking 1.5 pills (0.75) at bedtime.

I would be very interested to hear about people's experience with Lorazepam together with Zoloft (or any other SSRI). When can I expect the increased anxiety to subside? Should I stop taking Lorazepam and how? I have asked my pdoc, but would like to learn more.

Thanks!

#2 JessiG

JessiG

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

2 1/2 months is very quick to go to 150mg. That's probably where the anxiety is coming from.
The doc did me the same way. Went from 50 to 100 and gave me ativan. The ativan was weird... I didn't like it. It also didn't seem to help.
That was in 2002. Not sure if this has helped any but the anxiety should go away with time as your body adjusts.

#3 blackfreedom

blackfreedom

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

Lorazepam, Clonazepam etc are Benzodiazepines
I am on sertraline and Clonazepam.
Antidepressents are known to work very well withBezodiazepines for short term. (for ocd, anxiety and mania)
You can read more about these on wikipedia

#4 anxiouslydepressed

anxiouslydepressed

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Jessi and blackfreedom. I have read plenty about these drugs. I was wondering though what people's experience is when trying to get off a "benzo" while keeping to take an SSRI. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users