Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

What time of day do you take your Prozac?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nocturne

nocturne

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:06 PM

I did a search and couldn't find a thread about this, so I'm starting a new one. I'm on day 2 of Prozac, and it is causing me a significant level of drowsiness starting about 3 hours after I take the pill. I've taken the pill at around 10am both days, and my starting dose is only 10mg. I was on this med for 9 months about 7 years ago, but I don't remember much about it other than it helped me and didn't disrupt my life enough for me to remember any side-effects. I guess I'm wondering if I should switch to taking it in the evening, or if the sedative effect will wear off in time. When do you take your medication, and why? Just curious to see how my fellow Prozac-ers are dealing with this.

#2 Rosie

Rosie

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:18 AM

I take 20mg at about 7:00 a.m. every morning. I too get pretty sleepy, but it is at about 1:00 p.m. (6 hours later). I don't think that I get as drowsy as I did during the first few weeks though. From what I have read up on this, most of the side effects diminsh after the first few weeks. I would suggest that you just pick a time that you are most likely to remember to take it. I hate it when I get to work and realize that I have forgotten to take my meds.

#3 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:55 AM

You can respond differently to a med the second time around.
I agree with Rosie - these start-up side-effects often diminish. If it's too hard for you to wait it out and your doc has no objections, you can always try taking your dose in the evening to see if that helps.
Good luck - let us know how you're doing!
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says: "I'll try again tomorrow."
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#4 peaceful in ny

peaceful in ny

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:22 PM

I take my prozac and inderol right before I go to bed. I am such a freak about taking meds and it makes me feel better to be able to go to bed and not think about it.

#5 Penny64

Penny64

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:46 AM

I take mine in the a.m. as it activates me.

Let your past make you better, not bitter.

#6 RobK

RobK

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:32 AM

My son takes it in the morning before school. We started in the evenings but he had some restless nights, so we switched. Doesn't seem to be a problem now.

#7 curtis

curtis

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:37 AM

I alos take my 40 mg in the morning... It gives me a feeling of energy and motivation..... :hearts:

#8 nocturne

nocturne

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I'm now on Day 8 of Prozac, still taking it in the morning, and the drowsiness during the day is pretty much gone. I seem to be sleeping ok at night too, so I guess I'll stick to taking it in the morning for now. As for other side effects.....I'm sweating like a pig and my stomach isn't very happy most of the time. Yuck.

#9 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,940 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:34 AM

Prozac works the best when taken in the morning as it works to boost you during the day. The "average" dose for this med is 20mg. I found that Prozac at night kept me awake. The morning drowsiness wears off when you take this med. It usually only lasts a short time. Prozac no longer works for me (I was up to 80mg with no relief) and now am taking two other ADs which are working great for me.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#10 Alisa

Alisa

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:28 PM

i take mine in the morning when i'm eating breakfast, if i take it at night i can't fall asleep
josh & alisa
12.18.05 <3

#11 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:53 AM

I would always take mine in the morning.

#12 Bianca

Bianca

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:58 AM

Prozac works the best when taken in the morning as it works to boost you during the day. The "average" dose for this med is 20mg. I found that Prozac at night kept me awake. The morning drowsiness wears off when you take this med. It usually only lasts a short time. Prozac no longer works for me (I was up to 80mg with no relief) and now am taking two other ADs which are working great for me.
Sheepwoman :hearts:

I'm glad you've found something else that is working well for you. I dread to think that if I have to go back on Prozac long term that the effects won't last. I was on a high dose too for a number of years and it continued to work extremely well for me. So much so that I manged to ween myself right off it, though after two months, I'm having to go back onto it.

#13 wiggles

wiggles

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 04:32 AM

I did a search and couldn't find a thread about this, so I'm starting a new one. I'm on day 2 of Prozac, and it is causing me a significant level of drowsiness starting about 3 hours after I take the pill. I've taken the pill at around 10am both days, and my starting dose is only 10mg. I was on this med for 9 months about 7 years ago, but I don't remember much about it other than it helped me and didn't disrupt my life enough for me to remember any side-effects. I guess I'm wondering if I should switch to taking it in the evening, or if the sedative effect will wear off in time. When do you take your medication, and why? Just curious to see how my fellow Prozac-ers are dealing with this.

iI have deen on prozac 20mg for a week. I started taking it in the morning but the side effects were bad. I felt spaced out , sick and had a very bad head. I have now started to take them when I go to bed. I think it has helped, as I do not feel so tired and spaced out during the day. However the sickness is still bad. I have not experienced any sleep issues yet but I do take zopiclone which gives me a good nights sleep.

#14 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:50 AM

One of the possible side-effects with Prozac is a flu-like feeling. You've only been taking it for a short time, and the good news is that these start-up SEs often lessen over time, as your body has a chance to adjust.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says: "I'll try again tomorrow."
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users