Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Anxiety Consuming My Life.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zshkhan

zshkhan

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:53 PM

*hope i posted this in the right forum, if not my apologies....

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. This past new years eve, I woke up crying and shaking, and sweating profusely, I felt like the world end was ending, and I was going to lose my entire family, and had strange thoughts about losing sense of reality. I called my doctor and they gave me Xanax 0.5mg, and I became very tired but the symptoms went away. The next day I woke up and felt like another attack was coming but all it was tightness in my stomach, and diaharrea, along with feeling anxious. The feeling would not go away, and I started having the crying spells again, so we went to the ER and they gave me some medicine called Ativan through an IV, and I was out like a light, and woke up feeling fine but loopy, this was on Sunday. I went to work on Monday, and felt the same anxiety symptoms, so I took a xanax and went to work which was a bad idea. We went to see the psychiatrist and he started me on Citalopram 20mg, along with Xanax as needed, along with a FMLA three week leave, which I dreaded because everyone around me (my family) was going on through their daily life, and I feel like a miserable prisoner in my own mind watching the world go by sitting on the couch. Well its now, Friday, and everyday including today, my symptoms in the morning always start with having to go to the bathroom, and having loose stools, and feeling anxious, no desire to eat at all, and then having to take a xanax to calm things down, and then by around noon-one i can eat something, and by evening i feel normal. this same repetitive cycle for a week now, will it ever go away?

all i can remember is this happened once to me about five years ago, and it diminished in about a week or two, but i didnt take medication because we were not insured.

i feel so hopeless and hope the citalopram does something.......has anyone felt like this?

#2 Violet31

Violet31

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

Hi zshkhan and welcome to DF :welcomeani:

I have definately felt the way you described so youre not alone. Please dont worry more than you need to when youre going through an anxiety attack. Im glad youre on medication, but there are other things that might be useful to

Citalopram helps a lot, but you need to give it time to kick in. It can give you side effects like the anxiety you describe, upset stomack is a classic, but it goes away. Your anxiety will feel slightly worse the first few weeks or 10 days, but its an effective medication.

I suggest CBT, a very effective methode of getting control of your thoughts, regular meditation and relaxation and exercise on a daily basis.

Im glad you found us. Keep telling us how you feel and you have our support.

Warm regards,
When you´re going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Viktor Frankl

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Use adversity      Declare Independence 

Violet :rose:

Posted Image

#3 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

Hello, I just wanted to chime in and *assure* you that once the citalophram kicks in you will feel far less anxious. There *are* the initial start up effects of taking an anti-depressant but they slowly vanish over time and this can include insomnia, diarreah, increased anxiety but these all fade away with time. Anxiety can be a problem in itself or more usually it is a *symptom* of depression. Either way when the citalophram kicks in and it does take a full two months to get like 85% of its effectiveness (I personally think it takes a full three months for an AD to totally kick in 100%) the anxiety will go away. The xanax will help along the way to curb the anxiety, but you have to have time and patience for the citalophram to do its thing.
The lack of appetite is also due to the citalophram but that will improve in time also, its the anxiety that is doing a number on your appetite and you have to get that under control, and the diarreah will go away also given time. These are common start up effects of the medication. If they dont go away then perhaps this particular AD is not for you and you may need to be started on another one, but I would allow a bit more time. Oh and also get some acidophillus tablets from the pharmacy, they keep these in the refrigerator and they are great to help with keeping your intestinal flora going good and might help the diarreah.... always take acidophillus when taking anti-biotics also, they replenish what the anti-biotics **** off in your intestinal flora and stop diarreah from happening on anti-biotics also... fyi...
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users