Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Wellbutrin & Anxiety - Natural Remedies

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kazy_anne

kazy_anne

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

I take Zyban (basically Wellbutrin SR) 150g once a day in the morning. I believe it has helped my depression some & made big improvements to my motivation. But the biggest draw back for me is the jitteryness & sensation of anxiousness that it gives me. I really hate this sensation because it feels like a contant reminder that i'm drugged up. I find that exercise does help a tiny bit, but there are times when either my schedule or bad weather doesnt allow this.

Are there any herbal remedies (or any other suggestions) that anybody has found workd well to combat this wellbutrin side effect?

Many Thanks

Kazy Anne

#2 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

Hello, just wanted to chime in that you are right that wellbutrin is great for depression and motivation but also known for causing increased anxiety. I am not a profession, this is just hearsay on DF and other places. Herbal remedies I do not know, but I know alot of doctors will prescribe an anti-anxiety medication for you to take to control the excess anxiety. If you even call your doctors nurse and ask her to ask the doctor about prescribing an anti-anxiety medication, it can probably even save you a trip going in to see the doctor as he should know that wellbutrin does or is known to cause increased anxiety and probably he will prescribe something over the phone to your local pharmacy. If not then make a trip in to see him as yoiu needent suffer this way if you have an anti-anxiety medication on hand.
Good Luck and keep us posted on how it goes, others may join in with a known anti-anxiety over the counter herbal help, but I am not aware of any effective ones myself....
Good Luck...
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

Hi Kazy:

How long have you been on the Wellbutrin? If it hasn't been too long, like less than 3 months, there is still a chance that the jitterness might go away.

I'm glad you are exploring options.

I'd have a talk with your doctor. It could be that herbal or otherwise there might be some things that will help with the side effect you are having.

Tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#4 AstraKryon

AstraKryon

• Just Registered
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

Hi Kazy Anne

I am also on Wellbutrin, 300mg, and it has not made me jittery. I believe it is because I am also on a mood stabiliser, Lamotrogine. I am not bipolar, but when I tried anti-depressants before I was on Lamotrogine (which is a fairly neutral mood stabiliser, I think - not making you gain weight or anything nasty like that) I would get very jittery. And worse.

Natural remedies have never helped for me.

I don't like it when people ask questions and get replies of "go and see your doctor" - most of us HAVE been to our doctors and psychiatrists, but we also just need to ask other people how they feel or what they have experienced.

We also have a compulsive "chimer-inner" on this forum who has not taken Wellbutrin, but always has to answer!

I hope you find a good remedy from someone who has tried WB AND has actually tried a natural remedy that helped. I have heard that Valerian helps.

I must add that I took Xanor for the first few days of being on Wellbutrin, and that made me very calm.

AstraKryon

#5 ihateworking

ihateworking

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

Well said, AstraKryon!!!

And regarding the jitteryness, I'm finding that the XL formulation does not make me jittery-- in fact, I feel so relaxed on it, I can take it at night. Are you able to get that formulation where you live? If not, Valerian root has worked very well for me as a sleep aid, so that might be helpful to calm your jitters during the day. If you're open to trying a prescription anti-anxiety med, a very small dose of Klonopin (like .25 mg) might work well to reduce the anxiety without making you groggy, even if just to get you through this period until the jitters go away on their own. If the Wellbutrin is helping you in other ways, it may be worth giving this a try temporarily. I've used Klonopin in small doses on an as-needed basis for about a year and never felt the need to take it more than three times in a given month. I don't think it's nearly as addictive as people fear, as long as you aren't taking it daily and in larger amounts.

Hope everything works out for you.

Hi Kazy Anne

I am also on Wellbutrin, 300mg, and it has not made me jittery. I believe it is because I am also on a mood stabiliser, Lamotrogine. I am not bipolar, but when I tried anti-depressants before I was on Lamotrogine (which is a fairly neutral mood stabiliser, I think - not making you gain weight or anything nasty like that) I would get very jittery. And worse.

Natural remedies have never helped for me.

I don't like it when people ask questions and get replies of "go and see your doctor" - most of us HAVE been to our doctors and psychiatrists, but we also just need to ask other people how they feel or what they have experienced.

We also have a compulsive "chimer-inner" on this forum who has not taken Wellbutrin, but always has to answer!

I hope you find a good remedy from someone who has tried WB AND has actually tried a natural remedy that helped. I have heard that Valerian helps.

I must add that I took Xanor for the first few days of being on Wellbutrin, and that made me very calm.

#6 kazy_anne

kazy_anne

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

Thank you for everybodies advice. I think wellbutrin XL probably would be my best option but unfortunatly its not available in the uk.

Also for reasons I cant really go into my regular doctor is unaware I am taking this medication. I think my doctor would be unlikley to prescribe me any anxiety meds as when i went to see her about the fact i was having seriuos trouble sleeping, she was not willing to prescribe drugs even though the problem at the time was pretty servere. I think she might prescribe them to me if was having panic attacks, but i think i'm pretty far from that stage... its more an underlying sense of anxiousness most of the time.

Also I forgot to say that in addition to 150mg Zyban, I have also been prescribed 50mg zoloft/sertraline - which i believe should have some anti-anxiety affects. I'm quite concerned about the unknown affect that all these drugs are having on my body, which is why i'd prefer to find a herbal remedy.

After looking into the herbal stuff a bit more, I had been considering trying Rhodiola - but some things i've read suggest that combined with wellbutrin this might be a further stimulent as opposed to relaxant. I think I might try relora... anybody heard of this or had any experiances?

#7 angelwings17

angelwings17

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:54 AM

Hey there,

The only natural anti anxiety remedy i have come across is Valerian. And Ive tried all sorts.
It will also help with sleep when taken at night.
GAD W/ Panic Attacks and Agoraphobia - Clonazepam 0.5mg as needed - Effexor 75mg - Zopiclone 7.5mg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users