Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

1St Week - Wellbutrin Xl

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 amdew717

amdew717

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

I suffer from dysthymia and have been too bothered by different side-effects of most medications to stay on many of them.

I've been on Nardil for many years with good success, however the decreased sex drive and inability to orgasm caused me to seek a change. I just got into a new relationship and didn't want to deal with these sexual issues, so I asked my Dr if we could try Wellbutrin. I took the immediate release verison back in the mid-90s and don't remember how well it helped depression. I do remember feeling agitated, having insomnia and a very increased sex drive.

I am now 57 years old, and have been on Wellbutrin XL for nearly a week, i increased to 300mg after 4 days at 150mg.

So far, my depression seems worse, i have NO energy, and my sex drive is LESS than before I began taking it. I don't know if it's the XL which is different, but this feels nothing like i experienced before on the immediate release.

How long should I wait until i begin to see:
a. lifting of depression
b. increase in sex drive
c. increase in energy

I am also taking Seroquel 75 mg to help me sleep.

I would appreciate any and all feedback.
Thanks very much - James

#2 AstraKryon

AstraKryon

• Just Registered
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

I am on my 9th day of Wellbutrin XL, and started with 300mg today.

I have not really had a major change in mood or sex drive, except that I sleep worse than before. I am used to that, though. I take Stillnox to sleep (zolpidem), but it doesn't really work anymore. Just puts me on a high, which I don't really want now.

You should definitely give it a chance, wait a few weeks (if you can - I know how long that sounds when one is so depressed).
AstraKryon

#3 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

Hello, *all* AD's have initial side effects, sorry there is no side-effect free anti-depressant because it is stimulating your brain to produce more happy hormones. To be blunt but honest, the first two weeks on starting up on an AD can be pretty bad, I experience increased anxiety, insomnia, and trust me it does a real number on lowering intitally your libido. I mean you are going to feel ansy and nervous especially during the first two weeks and not much in the way of positive results. Thats how all AD's work because again they are stimulating your brain. Week three shows a beginning of the side-effects starting to slowly taper off but it slowly diminished in week four five six etc... and can take 2 months to finally smooth out on an AD and to make the final evaluation. I hate to say this but it takes time and patience to get your AD *and* dosage just right. I have had to play around for 7 months to where I finally think I have my dosage worked out right, I had to stop taking two AD's because I developed a rash which means stop asap as allergic to the medication.
Finally I am on one where I am not experiencing any rash and its taken frankly three months to fully kick in, so please have patience and try to stick with the med for a while longer, because so many people rush into their doctors and say I cant take this stuff because of the insomnia and anxiety etc... and have the doctor put them on something else only to experience the same thing again. Most doctors know their stuff and will inform a patient that they are going to go through initial side-effects that can be quite disturbing like also confusion, lack of appetite or increased appetite etc... but these do fade with time.
If you are having agitation and insomnia, ask your doctor for an anti-anxiety medication as it will help you get through some of the worst side effects, an anti-anxiety medication you can take one before bedtime and it should help you sleep better or better yet ask for a sleeping aide! Also best to take an AD like wellbutrin in the AM and not the PM as a post on df says that 78% take in the morning because of the insomnia thing, remember it *stimulates* your brain to produce happy hormones and thus taking it right before bed is not a good thing to do, however, some people say that it makes them sleepy (a minority but still it does to some people) and then they take it in the PM...
anyway I hope this helps, your libido *will* come back but its going to take a while sorry to say, but this is going to happen with any AD so best to just stick this one out as already on the first week and give it a go. Your doctor should have scheduled you for a re-evaluation in about a month to six weeks... so talk to him then if you feel this med isnt working out for you but I think all AD's need to be given a full two months to evaluate them, its unfortunately a time and patience thing.
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#4 kingdelta

kingdelta

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

hey im on wb too. its my 10day and ues i had side or deptessiom effects. imsomnia. netveurs comgusiom agitared feelimg sick my pdoc warned here for and switch to another med is no solution. it starts over again. yes they are hell

#5 amdew717

amdew717

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm actually even taking WELLBUTRIN. The pill say "Wellbutrin XL" so I guess I must be.
But everything i'm experiencing is so opposite of what everyone else seems to be reporting.

I've got:
NO ENERGY
NO SEX DRIVE
more ANXIETY than I ever dreamt possible
DEPRESSION, way more than before I started.

I've been on it before, although it was immediate release; i'm taking XL 300mg and this is DAY 8.
I don't ever recall this type of experience before. I would expect:
Insomnia (i am waking earlier),
agitation (i'm too depressed to be agitated right now)
sweating (today i was actually chilly while working out - and every minute at the gym was a struggle!)

QUESTION: Should I stay the course? If so, should I continue at 300 or drop back to 150? Dr suggested maybe doing this. I'm not sure I want to. I'm a big guy 6 ft, 210 lbs.

Hoping for a miracle,
James

#6 ihateworking

ihateworking

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

Hi, I'm just into my 5th week of WB XL 150 mg and am FINALLY starting to feel a lift. I, too, have been experiencing paradoxical effects, such as fatigue, increased appetite, and reduced sex drive. My sex drive has not improved but everything else is getting better, so I'm hoping the libido will kick in too. My doc told me to go up to 300mg but I haven't started that yet-- wanted to wait till after the holidays. Good luck!

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm actually even taking WELLBUTRIN. The pill say "Wellbutrin XL" so I guess I must be.
But everything i'm experiencing is so opposite of what everyone else seems to be reporting.

I've got:
NO ENERGY
NO SEX DRIVE
more ANXIETY than I ever dreamt possible
DEPRESSION, way more than before I started.

I've been on it before, although it was immediate release; i'm taking XL 300mg and this is DAY 8.
I don't ever recall this type of experience before. I would expect:
Insomnia (i am waking earlier),
agitation (i'm too depressed to be agitated right now)
sweating (today i was actually chilly while working out - and every minute at the gym was a struggle!)

QUESTION: Should I stay the course? If so, should I continue at 300 or drop back to 150? Dr suggested maybe doing this. I'm not sure I want to. I'm a big guy 6 ft, 210 lbs.

Hoping for a miracle,
James

#7 amdew717

amdew717

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

[quote name='ihateworking' timestamp='1293813091' post='706981']
Hi, I'm just into my 5th week of WB XL 150 mg and am FINALLY starting to feel a lift. I, too, have been experiencing paradoxical effects, such as fatigue, increased appetite, and reduced sex drive. My sex drive has not improved but everything else is getting better, so I'm hoping the libido will kick in too. My doc told me to go up to 300mg but I haven't started that yet-- wanted to wait till after the holidays. Good luck!

Thanks for your input. My only reason for trying WB was for the positive sexual side-effect I once felt on it. If after 6 weeks i'm feeling no better in that aspect, I will probably discontinue it.
Keep me posted on how the 300mg works for you. Thanks!

#8 amdew717

amdew717

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

THE 4 WEEK MARK UPDATE!!!

The news is NOT GOOD! Here's how I feel after 4 weeks on WB XL 300mg (1st 4 days was at 150mg). I also take Seroquel 75-100mg to help me sleep over the horrible insomnia caused by the WB:

1) ANXIETY is through the roof. Pdoc put me on Buspar 15mg 2x day which I've taken for 2 WKS. The thought of almost ANYTHING gives me ANXIETY!
2) APATHY - No interest in anything, even music which was always my salvation no matter how bad I was feeling.
3) More DEPRESSED than before I started
4) NO SEX DRIVE, even the sight of sexy pictures or visualizing people having sex is unappealing, sometimes repulsive, also gives me great ANXIETY.
5) NO MOTIVATION, especially at work or doing anything around the house, it's all a MAJOR EFFORT
6) NOT MUCH ENERGY
7) Don't want to get out of bed in the morning because of ANXIETY
8) Rarely have an appetite but that's a good thing, since I wanted to lose weight anyway. Sometimes after eating I feel like I could vomit, although I don't but still an unpleasant after-effect.

Thats about all - I see the Pdoc on Monday, so we'll see where we go from here. I know it's still early, but I just find it hard to believe that this could all miraculously turn around.
But as skeptical as I feel, I might still be willing to hang in there with it.
Maybe a decrease in dosage to 150mg might give me a better result.
Maybe switching to SR, might give me a better result.

Any and all FEEDBACK/ENCOURAGEMENT is appreciated. :welcomeani:
Thanks everyone!
James :sadwalk:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)