Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Anyone Taking Xl At Night Instead Of Morning??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 ihateworking

ihateworking

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:26 AM

Hi all, I'm entering my 5th week on Wellbutrin XL 150mg, which I've been taking when I wake up in the morning. I also take Lexapro 5mg at bedtime. I'm having some seemingly paradoxical responses to the Wellbutrin: TIREDNESS (I could fall asleep any time I sit down); INCREASED appetite (very disappointing); and DECREASED libido (***???). However, the Wellbutrin has been great at REDUCING my anxiety (go figure), so I do want to give it a fair trial.

Has anyone else experienced daytime fatigue on the XL version and, if so, is it resolved by taking it at night? I've tried a couple of times but had bad insomnia from taking it before bed, and then my whole regimen gets screwed up by switching back and forth from am to pm and vice versa.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has had success resolving any of the above issues by taking their Wellbutrin XL at night so I know whether it's worth sticking out the insomnia for a few nights to get on track.

Thanks much!

#2 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:33 PM

Hello, I have heard that Wellbutrin is a stimulating medication and best taken in the AM, actually have you tried to take the Lexapro in the AM also as it to is stimulating, most all AD's stimulate your brain to produce more happy hormones and perhaps the Lexapro in the PM is causing you to get sleep but not proper sleep i.e. the deep REM sleep that we need, so I suggest you try taking both medications in the AM and these will stimulate you throughout the day and then at night time you might get better quality sleep, believe it or not there is good quality sleep and bad quality sleep and if the lexapro is causing bad quality sleep, taking in the AM will help you get better quality sleep at night.

Please note, I am not a professional, but this is a recommendation based on a poll on DF that shows that 78% of people take their AD in the morning because of the stimulating effect VS 22% that take it at night as it either it makes them sleepy (some people an AD does make them sleep) or they just dont know any better. I think if you took both in the AM that you will find you get better quality sleep at night since again lexapro can be stimulating. Also I take an anti-anxiety medication (if you have any) at nighttime to help me sleep better also, as anti-anxiety medications are known to make one sleepy as a side-effect to calming you down.

Plus you might also ask your doctor about this as its best to get a professional opinion as we on DF are not professionals only trying to offer advice based on our own experiences. Good Luck.
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 ihateworking

ihateworking

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:46 PM

BetterOff, I really do appreciate your replies to both of my recent posts about Wellbutrin XL, but I would REALLY LIKE to hear from someone who is ACTUALLY TAKING Wellbutrin XL, has had experiences similar to mine, and is now doing well on the drug. I've been on ADs for over 12 years and already know plenty about them as a class of drugs.

Anyone?

#4 AstraKryon

AstraKryon

• Just Registered
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

I take mine in the morning - started a week and a half ago on 10mg XL - and have been feeling very energyless. BUT, I thought it may be because I was weaning myself off Zoloft and that my body was doing strange things.

It has also increased my appetite, which is really strange - I am one of those people who eat less when taking anti-depressants and I struggle to have an appetite (although I gained weight on Zoloft).

I am going to see how it goes, and then may start taking mine at night as well.

AstraKryon

#5 ihateworking

ihateworking

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

That's weird, it's increasing my appetite too. Everyone else seems to feel more energetic and less hungry, and I'm getting totally the opposite effect. I'm wondering if I need to jump up to the 300mg dose. Let's keep each other posted-- maybe the appetite thing will settle down when we get used to the drug. I sure hope so, because I've gained weight on every AD I've ever taken except for Pristiq. I was on it 8 weeks and lost 8 pounds. I had no appetite at all. I wish I could have stayed on it, but I was irritable and anxious and I thought 8 weeks was long enough to know whether those side effects would dissipate. It also made me constipated and I had some really bad acne and hair loss while I was on it. I've actually read that some people are having good results on Pristiq+Wellbutrin, but I don't know if I want to go there!

I take mine in the morning - started a week and a half ago on 10mg XL - and have been feeling very energyless. BUT, I thought it may be because I was weaning myself off Zoloft and that my body was doing strange things.

It has also increased my appetite, which is really strange - I am one of those people who eat less when taking anti-depressants and I struggle to have an appetite (although I gained weight on Zoloft).

I am going to see how it goes, and then may start taking mine at night as well.

#6 AstraKryon

AstraKryon

• Just Registered
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:36 PM

I also gain weight on every AD! I initially lost some of Zoloft, but after a year, started gaining a lot. Strange - because I don't eat much, exercise every day (play squash), am a vegetarian on a low fat diet, etc etc - all the right things!

Will keep on watching this post for replies and what you find!

Astra

AstraKryon

#7 Ryan_P

Ryan_P

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:17 PM

BetterOff, I really do appreciate your replies to both of my recent posts about Wellbutrin XL, but I would REALLY LIKE to hear from someone who is ACTUALLY TAKING Wellbutrin XL, has had experiences similar to mine, and is now doing well on the drug. I've been on ADs for over 12 years and already know plenty about them as a class of drugs.

Anyone?

I too was taking Wellbutrin with Lexapro; Lexapro worked well for me, but the sexual side effects, along with a couple of others, were a bit much, so my psychiatrist put me on Wellbutrin 150 mg and 10mg Lexapro. A month later, he seemed alarmed that I was still taking Lexapro with it, which I thought was strange considering how many people I've heard that have taken Lexapro or other SSRIs in conjunction with Wellbutrin. I just upped to 300mg this week, and so far my anxiety seems higher, but my anxiety is always higher when upping / changing medication regardless.

Best of luck to you with your dosage!!

#8 ihateworking

ihateworking

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

Hi Ryan_P, thanks for your feedback-- are you still on the Lexapro 10mg? I'm down to 5mg, and I don't know whether or not I'll be weaning off of it completely. I've tried before and it was awful, but it may be easier now that I'm on Wellbutrin. Has the increase to 300mg of Wellbutrin helped out with the sexual side effects of Lexapro?

I was on Lex 10mg for over a year, and honestly I didn't have any sexual side effects (women may respond differently) but I did gain a boatload of weight and was very unhappy about that, since I work out regularly. It made me crave sugar and carbs constantly, as if I was in a perpetual blood sugar crash. Just awful. Also, increasingly I felt as if I was in a total fog-- I had no motivation or drive to do anything with myself. Not depressed, just didn't care.

So I went down to 5mg, and at first I felt fantastic-- the cravings went away, I lost a ton of weight, and I felt more energetic. But after 4 months I felt the old dark feelings sweeping over me, and I knew I needed to do something before winter came. So I tried the Pristiq, that didn't work out so well, and now I'm back on Lex 5mg with the Wellbutrin. I'd like to try amping the Welly up to 300mg to see what happens. If I feel as tranquil as I do right now, then maybe I can drop the Lex. Unfortunately, my libido is way down since I started the Wellbutrin and my appetite is way up. I'm hoping this will change over time.

Anyone?

I too was taking Wellbutrin with Lexapro; Lexapro worked well for me, but the sexual side effects, along with a couple of others, were a bit much, so my psychiatrist put me on Wellbutrin 150 mg and 10mg Lexapro. A month later, he seemed alarmed that I was still taking Lexapro with it, which I thought was strange considering how many people I've heard that have taken Lexapro or other SSRIs in conjunction with Wellbutrin. I just upped to 300mg this week, and so far my anxiety seems higher, but my anxiety is always higher when upping / changing medication regardless.

Best of luck to you with your dosage!!

#9 Heath

Heath

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

Tried taking it at night just to see if there would be a difference... crazy dreams! so I went back to taking it with breakfast.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users