Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Which Side Effects Have You Had From Citalopram/lexapro?

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Side Effects Have You Had From Citalopram/lexapro? (316 member(s) have cast votes)

Which side effects have you had?

1. Voted Nausea (113 votes [14.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.99%

2. Voted Headaches (89 votes [11.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.80%

3. Voted Fatigue (171 votes [22.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.68%

4. Voted Dry mouth (105 votes [13.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.93%

5. Sexual dysfunction (149 votes [19.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.76%

6. Voted Other (specify) (127 votes [16.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_bayosgirl87_*

Guest_bayosgirl87_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

I've been taking Citalopram a little over a year and a half, and other than a little nausea and headaches at the beginning, have not experienced any side effects from it. I was just wondering what everyone else's experience has been.

#2 Violet31

Violet31

ID: 47678

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:00 AM

Hi bayosgirl87,

If I remember correctly, I had nausea, beating heart, headache and general feeling of being sick, horrible depression and I kept grinding my teeth. I was like this for a month.

I get nausea, beating heart and headache when I increase the dose, but that is only for a few days.
When you´re going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Viktor Frankl

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Use adversity      Declare Independence 

Violet :rose:

Posted Image

#3 chevy7298

chevy7298

ID: 56118

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

teeth clenching x100.. i hate it

#4 colasc08

colasc08

ID: 52901

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

NO side effects!!!! My sexual function is back and i never had nausea or vomitting like so many report. Feeling great! On 10mg lexapro

teeth clenching x100.. i hate it

#5 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

ID: 53269

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:17 AM

Not on it now but when I was I had sexual problems.
  • kreativitE likes this
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#6 shio

shio

ID: 32490

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

Hmmmm the only side effect would be - if I don't take it at the same time of the day i get mild withdrawl feelings and irratiable - (citalopram for 1 yr)
~ If you could just open up to other people, you'd soon find that you have more than one safe haven.~
Major depression, PTSD, Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety

#7 Cipralex

Cipralex

Just Registered

ID: 56495

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:48 PM

ive been one cipralex for 1 year and abit. first 3 mths 10 mg.... tired as fuzz for days in and out, very stupid and forgetful. crying mode when im driving or alone but would never know why i wanted to cry. no feelings at all, got into two fights had no morals or affection... im not a bully or ******* i just felt cold blooded i didnt feel like myself. i didnt care as much as i used when i wasnt on any meds. dox said cipralex is a really good drug... it felt i had no choice but to take it, i lost alot of weight then gained it after the 7th month on cipralex, the last time that i seen my doc which was town weeks ago he cut my pill in half and being on it for almost a year now i feel 90 percent better on 5 mg.... i just cut the pill and takem' every monring rather at night it helps cuz at night the drug keeps me up... at 10 mg thou it really put me out of place while i was on the drug 5 mths in id feel like getting a atttack and it would go away quickly... i noticed when being with certain girls i get it.... i dunno why quite crazy, i was on two dates both women were brown in colour, first one had a mad anxity attack.... second same thing but not as bad.... i still dont know what it is if it them or not.... now that im not seeing them i feel fine.... its confusing with me.. after them i was randomly trying out dating.... i dont seem to have any issues with myself with white girls... ?? werid? i dunno i just hope you get better and not have to take any sorts of drugs.... cipralex thou i think is best..... from experience and reading so much.... my theory 20mg winding down to 10 every day intsead of 20 every other day and then and then 10 mg winding to 5 mg etc... u get the point....... and 10 mg a day winding down to 5 mg daily is what im taking now and i cant be more happy i feel better with a dosage not missed but at a lower dosage.... i dont believe it is right to upset the cycle buy having it in your body one day and not the next....?? very unstable.... neways i talk to much please let me know how your coping with your health........ merry christmas

#8 gigio

gigio

Just Registered

ID: 56418

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:21 AM

Hi

I am new to the forum... I am trying to go off Lexapro. I was on it 4 years, for depression. Dose was, for the last year, 40 mg daily, 50 mg when I was premenstrual. I have been trying to wean off it since August, first by taking 150 mg Wellbutrin daily along with decreasing doses of Lexapro; now I am on 300 mg. Wellbutrin as well as 25 mg Lamictal (dose will be increasing) but had stopped Lexapro when my Wellbutrin dose increased and Lamictal was added. I am still experiencing a lot of "brain shocks" from Lexapro as well as mood swings, sometimes pretty bad ones, crying for little or no reason, feeling really angry, bad mood and outlook, etc. I spoke to my psychiatrist today and he was kind of at a loss; told me to add 10 mg of the Lexapro on the days I feel really bad. So I did today and I feel more stable but truthfully I hate taking even one medication now am on three?? Considering trying Neurostar TMS, which my doc's office has, but still unsure about it. (A little info about other meds I was on: first started with Wellbutrin 6 years ago - took that for a few months, decided I didn't want to take meds. Not too long after that I saw I really needed to take meds so went on Zoloft which worked really well for a year or so and then I decided didn't want to take meds again. Well that didn't exactly work out so my next drug was Lexapro. Psych later added Adderall to help with my weight gain complaints and I noticed how it also improved my concentration and mood but I made myself stop using that as it didn't really help me to lose weight after a certain point and also I wasn't sleeping.)

So, in a nutshell, I would say my side effects while taking Lexapro were : drowsiness, weight gain (main reason I insisted switching to Wellbutrin), and my sex life was not as good as it had been (def better on Wellbutrin). I would also say that my nightly teeth grinding and daily jaw clenching worsened , too, although I didn't realize that could have been a side effect until I read some of these posts. I always had that problem in a big way, anyway, but dentist had commented on more wear on my teeth in the last year or two. Also, something the psych found interesting: I would experience those brain shocks whenever I was premenstrual and that's why he had me add the extra 10 mg (to the normal dose of 40) daily at that time. The brain shocks are the worst thing, I think. Of course weight gain is not a great thing, either lol.

Hope that helps and if anyone has any suggestions for me I would love to hear them!

Edited by gigio, 29 December 2010 - 12:32 AM.

#9 UMustang

UMustang

ID: 53397

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

Three major side effects
  • Delayed ejaculation. I could typically last a little longer than the average before taking Cipralex but after I started I found that I tired out before I could finish. Really messed with my head because I found it embarrassing. When we were having sex, my wife would mention it to me and it sounded like she was disappointed in me and so I started to push her away and our sex life declined drastically (keep in mind, we were in the first year of marriage and had quite an active sex life prior to Cipralex)
  • Chattering teeth/jaw clenching. Not noticeable to anyone but I could feel my jaw tremble, similar to my teeth chattering when I was cold. Would find myself clenching my jaw at other times to the point where my jaw muscles were really sore
  • Bruising. This has gone away, but I was getting weird bruises, particularly on my legs. The weirdest one was my eye; I went to put in my contacts and I ended up looking like I had a black eye.
I've been off Cipralex for a week now and on Celexa. Haven't seen any evidence of 3), 2) is still there, and currently my wife and I are apart so can't really tell you about 1)

Diagnosis - Clinical Depression, 28 years and counting

Medication - 60mg Celexa daily

Problem Drinker, been dry since March 1, 2013

Currently - In a good place

#10 Emilk

Emilk

Just Registered

ID: 56807

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

Ugh.. both Celexa and Lexapro DID NOT work for me Posted Image

I started Celexa when I was 14, and stayed on it for about and year and a bit.

First side effect that I noticed... EXTREME weight loss. Its hard to me to believe when people report weight gain from Celexa. I started at 141 lbs, and within 3 months I was down to 115 lbs. (Keep in mind that i'm 5'8" so at 115 pounds I looked disgusting..) Celexa took away all my desire to eat, and becuase of it I became severely anorexic.

Second, (and worst) side effect, Sexual dysfunction. Inability to orgasm, and basically.. I just felt numb down there. Sex feels like nothing. Ive been off of Celexa for 2 or 3 years now and I still don't know what sex feels like :( It still lingers with me, and i'm starting to wonder if i'll ever recover. Its a horrible, horrible relationship killer...
Another thing to mention was that while on Celexa, I didnt feel depressed per se, but I dont remember feeling very happy. Kind of like a numbness, monotone feeling.

Lexapro was a whooole different story. Tried if for a week, and it was the worst week of my life. Nausea, Migraines, Chest Pain, Insomnia, Vomiting..
I felt High, and not a good high. My mom even commented that I had dialated pupils. I'm glad i didnt continue on it. My doctor pushed me to stay on it and wait out the side effects, but I've heard sooo many stories about extreme weight gain on lexapro... thats the last thing I want Posted Image

#11 faith85

faith85

ID: 55804

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

Citalopram caused me an EXTREME migraine. I just started on it two days ago. The first day I was fine, but then the second day, my headache was so bad, I couldn't lift my head of the pillow. I had to call in work because I was so sick. There was nausea as well, but I am cutting a wisdom tooth, which caused me to be nauseous in the past, so I can't definitively say it was the medication. BUT, I still have headache today. Also, clenching of jaw and grinding of teeth which is not helping the wisdom tooth that is cutting. I didn't take the pill today. I know I should have because everyone says the symptoms go away after a couple of days, but that headache was not worth it. I was also unable to sleep on it. My mind was wondering more than without it and my anxiety level shot through the roof. I am better off without it. I am going to doctor tomorrow to try and switch meds.

#12 GonzoGirl

GonzoGirl

ID: 57058

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:08 AM

Big nausea, excessive fatigue, insomnia, a little bit of jaw clenching and my appetite's vanished, I'm shrinking. Luckily no sexual dysfunction :)
"This is Bat Country...." - HST

#13 SquareOne

SquareOne

ID: 35976

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:18 PM

Does this sexual dysfunction for men tend to go away, or is it just part of the deal?

Edited by SquareOne, 20 January 2011 - 03:19 PM.

#14 Guest_bayosgirl87_*

Guest_bayosgirl87_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

SquareOne-sometimes side effects go away in time, sometimes they don't. One thing you could try is reducing your dose. When I increased mine from 20 to 40 mg, I was unable to orgasm. That lasted about a week before I was fed up and went back to 20. Problem solved. Posted Image

#15 Cipralex

Cipralex

Just Registered

ID: 56495

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

Hey, i noticed you said you stopped taken your meds at certain times. was that you or your doc telling you to stop them? gaining weight too? honestly it helps alot if your active in the gym no matter how bad you feel. from experience i feel better on days i work out, i was on cipralex for 1 year 10 mg aday every morning, and now taking 5 mg aday. my only advice is for you to do more research and tell your doctor how you feel, im not a fan of any meds just like you but all i can say is you should stick with cipralex if anything it does work, it worked for many people but you have to be patient with it and i winding off any drug should be smaller dosages everyday rather than your full dosage ever other day... well i hope to catch up with you more!! take care

Hi

I am new to the forum... I am trying to go off Lexapro. I was on it 4 years, for depression. Dose was, for the last year, 40 mg daily, 50 mg when I was premenstrual. I have been trying to wean off it since August, first by taking 150 mg Wellbutrin daily along with decreasing doses of Lexapro; now I am on 300 mg. Wellbutrin as well as 25 mg Lamictal (dose will be increasing) but had stopped Lexapro when my Wellbutrin dose increased and Lamictal was added. I am still experiencing a lot of "brain shocks" from Lexapro as well as mood swings, sometimes pretty bad ones, crying for little or no reason, feeling really angry, bad mood and outlook, etc. I spoke to my psychiatrist today and he was kind of at a loss; told me to add 10 mg of the Lexapro on the days I feel really bad. So I did today and I feel more stable but truthfully I hate taking even one medication now am on three?? Considering trying Neurostar TMS, which my doc's office has, but still unsure about it. (A little info about other meds I was on: first started with Wellbutrin 6 years ago - took that for a few months, decided I didn't want to take meds. Not too long after that I saw I really needed to take meds so went on Zoloft which worked really well for a year or so and then I decided didn't want to take meds again. Well that didn't exactly work out so my next drug was Lexapro. Psych later added Adderall to help with my weight gain complaints and I noticed how it also improved my concentration and mood but I made myself stop using that as it didn't really help me to lose weight after a certain point and also I wasn't sleeping.)

So, in a nutshell, I would say my side effects while taking Lexapro were : drowsiness, weight gain (main reason I insisted switching to Wellbutrin), and my sex life was not as good as it had been (def better on Wellbutrin). I would also say that my nightly teeth grinding and daily jaw clenching worsened , too, although I didn't realize that could have been a side effect until I read some of these posts. I always had that problem in a big way, anyway, but dentist had commented on more wear on my teeth in the last year or two. Also, something the psych found interesting: I would experience those brain shocks whenever I was premenstrual and that's why he had me add the extra 10 mg (to the normal dose of 40) daily at that time. The brain shocks are the worst thing, I think. Of course weight gain is not a great thing, either lol.

Hope that helps and if anyone has any suggestions for me I would love to hear them!

#16 nahin

nahin

ID: 55832

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:18 PM

Had some headaches in the beginning, sexual problems (kinda still persists) and panic attacks.

Tho I do think my meds are working. I was not able to cry before. Now atleast I can cry. With tears wich is unusual for me.
And I saw that wisdom excels folly as light excels darkness. The wise man's eyes are in his head, but the fool walks in darkness. And yet I know that one fate befalls them both. - Ecclesiastes 2:13-14

#17 Unperson

Unperson

ID: 57108

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

The fatigue I experienced while on lexapro was debilitating. I was sleeping 14 hours a day on average and only really got up to eat or go to work. At work all I could think about was sleep, no exaggeration.

I felt extremely relaxed and actually kind of enjoyed that sedated feeling when I had nothing to do, but it's not practical for everyday use for me. I was on it for less than a month, so I couldn't really gauge how effective it might have been.

This above all: to thine own self be true.

#18 kels

kels

ID: 22731

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

Been on Citolopram (Cipralex/Cylift and now generic Citolopram) for 4 years and 3 months. Dosage was 10mg for 6 weeks, then 20mg for 1 years then 40 mg till now. Initial symptoms were yawning and dry mouth. These lasted the first few weeks. Still have a dry mouth more often than not. Bigest side effect was weight gain... 34kg(75lb) over the whole period, mainly on belly and breasts. Eating habits haven't changed too much and for the last 9 months I've been activly trying to lose weight to no effect (have actually still gained weight). So am considering going off meds to lose the weight (also want to try for baby) and will see how it goes. Am just a bit worried about withdrawal symptoms....
Light travels faster than sound...
...that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Go and concatenate yourself.

#19 missclaudia123

missclaudia123

ID: 57229

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

Lexapro made me feel sick and very tired. I was falling asleep in class and sleeping as soon as I got home,. Therefore, no homework was getting done.
Sometimes the pain's too strong to bare...and life gets so hard you just don't care. You feel so alone you just sit and cry...every second you wish you could die. Then you start thinking who would care...if one day they woke up-and you weren't there.

#20 Wilo77

Wilo77

ID: 57403

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

I get abit of nausea but I find if I can eat something after iI take my dose it helps. Only been on a full dose 20mg since Wed.

#21 katkin

katkin

ID: 29837

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

I started taking Lexapro about 2 weeks ago. So far it's given me pretty nasty insomnia, headaches, a general "fuzzy" feeling, and the jaw clenching a few other posters mentioned. I'm seeing my doctor soon about the insomnia cos it's making it really hard to function well.
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel–a facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal. We are intimately related. May we never even pretend that we are not.”-- Mr. Rogers

#22 slk2000us

slk2000us

Just Registered

ID: 57874

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:01 AM

I have had the 10 mg Lexapro for about a week now and still haven't started taking it cause I am scared of how the side effects will affect me. I am a stay-at-home mom and can't be completely out of it with my son at home. Any suggestions on what to expect the first few weeks on this dosage?

#23 Achelois

Achelois

ID: 50989

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

Hey, i noticed you said you stopped taken your meds at certain times. was that you or your doc telling you to stop them? gaining weight too? honestly it helps alot if your active in the gym no matter how bad you feel. from experience i feel better on days i work out, i was on cipralex for 1 year 10 mg aday every morning, and now taking 5 mg aday. my only advice is for you to do more research and tell your doctor how you feel, im not a fan of any meds just like you but all i can say is you should stick with cipralex if anything it does work, it worked for many people but you have to be patient with it and i winding off any drug should be smaller dosages everyday rather than your full dosage ever other day... well i hope to catch up with you more!! take care

Hi

Total loss of libido...

#24 neurochem

neurochem

ID: 58239

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:30 PM

Citalopram totally killed my sex drive. Still isn't the same as it used to be...not that I ever get any to begin with. haha... :/
It was love at first oxytocin release.

#25 Ocdadhd

Ocdadhd

ID: 58044

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

I've been on 10 mg Celexa for about 6 weeks now. First week, just an occasional headache and unbelievable yawning fits. I was hilarious for a few days the second week...kind of miss that side effect :boredsmiley:

Weeks 3-5 I Slept with my arms tightly wrapped around my head, that was weird and ended in sore shoulders when I woke up. I sucked on my bottom lip from weeks 3-4.

Since day 2-3 I am much more outgoing, can talk without stuttering and forgetting what I was going to say before finishing the sentence. This led me to be very shy my whole life. Stuff kind of blurts out so now instead of being ADD, I am more ADHD. I might talk a little too much, but am so excited that I can at all. Finally, to be able to converse!!! This is the warm, caring person, I knew was inside of me that could never get out. People have always thought I was less intelligent because I was incapable of expressing myself other than in writing. My family referred to me as "eccentric," knowing that I occasionally surprised people with making comments that showed there really was something going on "upstairs."

From weeks 2-5 I was very interested in sex, but could not orgasm. Now, that seems to be getting better (interested and can orgasm) although my spouse is a butt-head so I am interested and then look at him and think better of it.

No weight gain or loss. I am not hungry much, but tell myself to eat so eating is less compulsive and more frequently pre-planned.

I still bite nails and pick at myself, but wanted to see how 10 mg did before going up to higher doses. My Rx is for 20 mg and I split the pills, taking 1/2 at night. I don't even care that much if I am scarred physically...I can talk! Totally unexpected result, but I don't want it to go away again.

Edited by Ocdadhd, 15 February 2011 - 04:15 PM.

OCD - onychophagia, dermatillomania, adhd, Have a bi-polar spouse who won't get help, considering divorce.

#26 nah1258

nah1258

ID: 58423

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:26 PM

I have had the 10 mg Lexapro for about a week now and still haven't started taking it cause I am scared of how the side effects will affect me. I am a stay-at-home mom and can't be completely out of it with my son at home. Any suggestions on what to expect the first few weeks on this dosage?

Hi There
I have just read loads of the posts on lexapro and I stopped here to reply to you because I think I can tell you a lot of what to expect and its not all bad.I have taken it a few times over the last ten years.In my experience the stronger the side effects at the beginning the better the drug works for you when these side effects start to wear off.When I first took it my dovtor told me that I would initally feel worse but I didnt take much notice of what he said.So I def felt worse not realising why.Alll the nerves in my body especially my hands and gums started to tingle but def not a nice tingle..to be honest a horrible feeling.there is also strong side effects sexually.I cant say what it is like for women but def not nice for a man!! delayed and often no ejaculation is very embarressing and confusing.also for the first two weeks felt very down. the up side is this..I suffer from generalised anxiety disorder, constant stress in my chest,short of breath, not able to sleep and always worrying.Lexapro is a wonder drug to get rid of these symptoms after two weeks.also much better mood and gives me a great appetite for life and getting off my butt.has a brill relaxing effect too.the second half of last yr was very bad for me( I was not taking any meds) just life got pretty bad.So I went back on lexapro and within two to three weeks I was transformed.The way i see it is this..it gets me out of rough spots and the 'only' reason I wont continue it is the sexual side effect which for me personally does not really wear off with time and so I changed to Valdoxan.I am doing ok now and I have to say again, lexapro is brill except for the sex side effect but you must give it at least 3 weeks and try put up with these effects.I can only hope for you as a woman the sexual side effect wont be as severe.
wishing you the best of luck and dont be scared of it.

Nah

#27 tinypenguin

tinypenguin

Just Registered

ID: 27812

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

The main reason I stopped taking it was the sexual side effects (extreme difficulty with orgasm). My libido was fine... I just could never get off. So frustrating!

I gained weight, too, but I had lost so much from being depressed/not eating that it was a relief to put some pounds back on. Though that may have been more related to my appetite coming back once I was on the Lexapro- no real way to tell I guess.

#28 Kim1969

Kim1969

ID: 59165

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:43 PM

I started on 10 mg citalopram and had nausea. Increased to 20 mg. Nausea went by third week. I felt great - normal. Am not so interested in sex though. It's not so bad though. I was suicidal before and am now so much happier!

#29 accidentallybrilliant

accidentallybrilliant

Just Registered

ID: 59468

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:13 PM

Okay, on 3rd day of taking 20 mg citalopram...

I started getting side effects within 3 hours of the first pill. Slightly anxious, fuzzy/foggy head, beating heart, and loss of appetite (not really nausea). Nose goes from stuffy to dry and back again. Feel slightly warm overall. Hard to sleep, and when I do fall asleep it isn't for that long.

Also, I'm experiencing an increase in libido, which seems very contrary to what other people are saying their experience is. For me, it's actually an overall improvement to sexual function, the only downside being that it takes quite a while and a lot of effort to finish, as it were. Granted, this may change when I've taken the medication for a longer period of time, but for now... no complaints in that department.

Did anyone else actually get "improvements" to sexual function when taking citalopram, even if it was short lived? I wanna know if this is really out of the ordinary.

#30 ratfood

ratfood

ID: 58412

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:34 AM

The side effects do not go away over time with the SSRI's. It's part of the reason they work so well, but also part of the problem. I guess it's worth it, though, as depression feels pretty bad--indescribable for those that have never truly experienced an episode complete with psychomotor retardation, huge weight loss, and actuall attempts to end it all.

#31 stateofplay

stateofplay

ID: 51268

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

I have been on 30 mg of Citalopram for nearly 1 year, I am a 40 year old male.

My side effects include;

No sexual desire, numbness and an inability to enjoy an orgasm. I can orgasm, but not while having intercourse. It takes ****** ages and makes it sore and isn't worth it when it does happen as the feeling is just not the same. I get sexual urges, as in when I look at my wife I can desire her there and then but it wears off in seconds, whereas before, well you know.

Teeth Clenching! i didn't realise it until I read this thread, but I teeth clench all the time and have had to have one of my molars filed down!

Aching limbs/bones when I wake in the morning. I cannot lie in, and the only way to resolve it is to get up and move around. I go running 4 times a week, and so this is a strange feeling for me as I can run without any pain.

Sleeping, I take a sleeping tablet every night. That is gonna be a problem soon, as I am hooked on them, they are so great!

The tablets seem to make me more calm, even at times of extreme stress. I almost feel as though I have been desensitized. My cat was run over, I picked her off the road, normally this would have been distressing, but I didn't feel anything. This worries me. I don't feel human.

I still have depression, so I need medicaton, but I am worried that I losing all my sensitivity, with regard to others around me, and sexually.

#32 Adam72

Adam72

Just Registered

ID: 59590

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:59 PM

After 5 weeks on 10mg. No side effects.:confusedread:

#33 Eiwra

Eiwra

ID: 59000

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

Has anyone had WATERY mouth as a side effect? I've had it for 10 days at least and I wasn't particularly hungry :upside:

#34 ScratsNuts

ScratsNuts

Just Registered

ID: 60017

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:00 AM

I have only just started taking Citalopram 20mg yesterday, and have already felt quite a number of side-effects.
Dry mouth, sleepy, nausea (pretty much consistent) and have also felt, weak, shaky and woke very early this morning. Pretty much no appetite and difficulty recognising the difference between hunger and nausea (but I've always had that problem).

I'm still feeling mild side effects from yesterdays dose, but I just persuaded myself to take the second dose. Hope it isn't quite so bad today.

#35 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

ID: 57536

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

I started taking 10mg of Lexapro Saturday and LOVE it! I'm so happy! The first few hours of the first dose off and on I felt mild anxiety, but by the 5 to 6 hour, I literally felt this calmness settle over me and it hasn't gone away. There was a lot of yawning the first day and some mild jaw clenching. It does make me feel very sedated, so I won't be able to take it too early or it will be hard to do things...

It's just fantastic, though... I couldn't be depressed if I tried!

:Coopclapping:
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#36 Smileyface

Smileyface

Advanced Member

ID: 52237

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:51 AM

I take citalopram 20 mg and I have the following side effects, feel sick, very jumpy, poor concentration,poor sleep and heart burn.

#37 annlovesjam

annlovesjam

Just Registered

ID: 60526

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

I've been on 10mg of Celexa for about 3 months along with 300 mg of Wellbutrin, which I was taking before I started Celexa. The combo is great for my depression. Wellbutrin alone wasn't doing it. BUT Celexa has killed my sex drive and Wellbutrin does not seem to help one bit. My sex drive was great on just Wellbutrin. I want to get off Celexa as soon as I can. My husband has been very patient and above all wants me not to be depressed. But I really miss my sex life.

#38 looneytoon

looneytoon

ID: 59640

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:06 AM

I've been on lexapro for three weeks and have gained 10 lbs! I was already 15 lbs over my usual weight but attributed that to menopause, but now I'm really depressed about it. I feel bloated all the time and even though I walk about 3 miles a week, I'm tired all the time and sleep in 2-4 hour intervals. Mentally I do feel better but I wonder is it worth the other side effects?
  • CatieB likes this

#39 cutehobbit

cutehobbit

ID: 24251

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:42 AM

i had to switch from citalopram as it was making me so tired and demotivated...
  • sad_girl06 likes this
CuteHobbit Bellydancer
A shimmy solves everything

#40 Kristen84

Kristen84

Just Registered

ID: 60628

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

I have been prescribed Celexa and Klonopin for Anxiety. I am honestly worried about all the people in various forums talking about weight gain. I worked so hard to lose 55 pounds after my last baby, and if I gain weight I will be so upset and depressed. I eat when I am anxious and when I am depressed, so wouldn't this medication not make me gain weight since I won't have issues of anxiety and depression anymore? I have been taking my meds for 6 days now, and I have absolutely no appetite. I am going to voice my concern about weight gain to my Psychiatrist, and see if he will put me on Adderall or something to counteract the weight gain side effect. I suffer from low self-esteem and body issues, and as bad as it sounds, I would rather deal with anxiety and social phobia, than gain weight!

Side effects so far: no appetite, diarrhea, teeth clenching, drowsy, poor coordination

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users