Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

tired while just starting Prozac

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 curtis

curtis

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:42 AM

hey guys, I just started taking 40 mgs of Prozac about 2 days ago. I noticed a complete change since I started taking it. It seems like I am able to suppress and control my obsessions a lot more. But I noticed I am very tired and my eyes seem very tired. I was on this before but stopped for a few months to try Lexapro. Is this a common side effect and if so will it abate in time. Because it feels good not to have the constant panic and anxiety now I just want to get rid of this tired feeling.........
  • joe miller likes this

#2 greeneyes01

greeneyes01

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:11 PM

hey guys, I just started taking 40 mgs of Prozac about 2 days ago. I noticed a complete change since I started taking it. It seems like I am able to suppress and control my obsessions a lot more. But I noticed I am very tired and my eyes seem very tired. I was on this before but stopped for a few months to try Lexapro. Is this a common side effect and if so will it abate in time. Because it feels good not to have the constant panic and anxiety now I just want to get rid of this tired feeling.........

I am curious how Prozac works for you. I just started Zolof 9 days ago and I am too sleepy for even work. Dr put me on Lexapro today, I am sooooooooooooooo tired on this stuff.

#3 Catching-a-Breath

Catching-a-Breath

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:15 PM

hey Curtis

Yeah :hearts:

You sound really good.

I took Prozac several years back. It seems like it made me sleepy, at first, but that wears off.

That made me happy, to read your post---sounds like you are doing better, my friend.

Keep me posted!!

#4 Rosie

Rosie

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

I have been on Prozac (20mg) for about 3 months now, and I am still sleepier than I used to be. It is not as bad as it was during the first few days, but I do wish that I could WAKE UP.

#5 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:33 PM

I'm taking Lexapro, not Prozac, but I was also much more sleepy the first few weeks. That wore off for me. Hopefully it will wear off for you as well!

Glad to hear that you are feeling better!

KA
Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#6 curtis

curtis

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:38 PM

hey guys, thanks for the great replies. I seem to be waking up after I ate lunch. I really think this dose may work for me I am so happy.... I have such a long way to go but it will be worth the trip.... By the way Green eyes, if you are tired on Zoloft, try Prozac. I was on Zoloft when I first learned I had ocd in 99. I took it for a week, it made me so tired and I could not perform sexually which really bothered me.... So the Doc put me on Prozac and it worked. It is supposed to energize you more. If you start on 20 mgs, you probably will not feel the tired feeling...... Thanks again guys

#7 Guest_Fiona_*

Guest_Fiona_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:17 PM

The first few days I started on fluoxetine, I slept... then it made me really alert and awake. I've been on it for 4 or 5 months, I feel like I've gone backwards. Tired all the time, unable to concentrate and function at work.

Is it common to become "immune" to it? Or for it to stop working? Or is it what I'm scared to admit.... a backward step in my depression?

#8 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:56 PM

The Prozac may possibly be "pooping out" on you; that occasionally happens to people.
If this continues, talk to your doctor. S/he may be able to tweak the dosage or add on another med, or have you switch meds.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says: "I'll try again tomorrow."
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#9 peaceful in ny

peaceful in ny

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:04 PM

I have been taking prozac for about two months now. Before that I was on celexa for many years. I dont really see any changes in me. I guess I am not as anxious as I was. I was hoping for a major change and it is kind of disappointing. my main problems are panic and anxiety but I do have some depression also. Hopefully with more time it will get better. :hearts:

#10 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,603 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:45 AM

I had more energy when I started Prozac. I didn't have the lethargic or fatigue feeling at all. Our bodies all respond differently to meds. Maybe my energy response is unique. I took prozac for 10 years before it started losing its effect. It is a great med for depression and to me has had the least amount of SEs.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#11 corduroyndenim

corduroyndenim

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:36 AM

Yeah, I've been on Prozac for about three months now and I'm still experiencing some drowsiness, and my sleep patterns have changed a bit. But I find a little tiredness easier to overcome than a total, debilitating, puddle-on-the-couch depression, so for me it's an acceptable tradeoff.

#12 skaisnotdead

skaisnotdead

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:35 PM

This is my 6th day on just 10 mg of Fluoxetine (eventually the psychiatrist plans on getting me up to about 80 mg, but I'm pretty young so we're having to work up to that slowly).

Before getting on this, I used to sleep 2-4 hours a night, 5 if I was really lucky! I woke up constantly throughout the night and no matter how tired I got I just couldn't sleep. And that was bad, because with my OCD and depression...I just laid in bed thinking during all the time that I was awake. My thoughts made me even more depressed, so I hated nighttime.

Ever since I started Fluoxetine I've been soooo tired and I sleep ALOT. I actually really enjoy it...it's something I've never really experienced before because I've had depression all my life so I just never slept. But this is great to me. I mean I don't like going around everywhere feeling exhausted, but I do like falling asleep really fast at night so that I don't have to lay there thinking.

I'm hoping this side effect doesn't wear off...but I have a feeling it probably will eventually. =( And I'm REALLY hoping I don't go back to my insomnia a few weeks after I've been on this stuff. That would suck.

The only thing that I really hate about sleeping so much is that I have these recurring nightmares with themes of death and suicide and loneliness....and also just these really bizarre grusome dreams that make me want to stay awake.

Edited by skaisnotdead, 29 October 2006 - 11:37 PM.

#13 Grover

Grover

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:00 PM

I just started on it yesterday and while I'm tired like I normally am it seems about 12 hours after I take it I start to get REALLY sleepy. Last night I finally had to go to bed at 930 and right now I'm starting to droop again. It's bad enough my husband thinks I'm avoiding him without me being unconcious so early at night. :hearts:

#14 Slevin

Slevin

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:03 AM

I have been on 20mgs of Fluoxetine for the past 2 years and all i feel is i want to sleep .If i am lucky i might get an energy boost every once in awhile.While i am at work i feel tired but i usually try to work harder to overcome this feeling.It also has lowered my motivation to zero.I like the easy to go to sleep part but after two years of this side effect it is getting old .Seeking better ideas now or maybe new medicine to try.

#15 springtimeofhisvoodoo

springtimeofhisvoodoo

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:37 PM

I have been on 20mgs of Fluoxetine for the past 2 years and all i feel is i want to sleep .If i am lucky i might get an energy boost every once in awhile.While i am at work i feel tired but i usually try to work harder to overcome this feeling.It also has lowered my motivation to zero.I like the easy to go to sleep part but after two years of this side effect it is getting old .Seeking better ideas now or maybe new medicine to try.

Unfortunately yeah, the sleepiness does stick around. At least it did for me. But I'm looking into other reasons why I'm sleepy - like adrenal fatigue.
Prozac x8 years, Wellbutrin x1 year, Prozac/Wellbutrin combo x2 months, Prozac again x1 year, Currently Prozac-free for ONE YEAR!!! -YAY!

#16 cathyrenee

cathyrenee

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:58 PM

Hello - new to the forum, but not depression/Prozac.
I took Prozac for about three-four years, eight years ago. Certain problems went away and my life situation improved so I felt able to do without it and had done so without problems until recently. I live in New Orleans and did not lose everything in Hurricane Katrina, but my life, as well as many others', has changed considerably. After realizing my new bout with depression and related problems wasn't going to fade away as my immediate anxiety after the storm disappeared, I went back to my previous psychiatrist and he has re-prescribed Prozac under its generic name fluoxetine.

After that preamble, here is what I'm curious about. When I took Prozac the first time, I immediately felt "something" - decreased appetite, a little lethargy, I felt very "still." I started the flux. yesterday (20 mg), and cannot tell I've taken anything. No hint of anything at all - I might as well have taken two aspirin.
Reckon this is normal? I know I'm not going to feel a significant change in my overall mental state for a few weeks, but to not even notice that I've taken something seems unusual. Any thoughts?
thanks for any input

#17 kerrypoodle

kerrypoodle

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:32 PM

I've been on prozac for 2 weeks now and ive had getting straight to sleep at 1st with no dreams for the 1st week and the added sleepyness, i thought this was just me catching up after having iregular sleep....now i cant get to sleep at nights but can easily sleep not long after ive took my 20 mg

#18 springtimeofhisvoodoo

springtimeofhisvoodoo

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:24 AM

I took Prozac for about three-four years, eight years ago. Certain problems went away and my life situation improved so I felt able to do without it and had done so without problems until recently. I live in New Orleans and did not lose everything in Hurricane Katrina, but my life, as well as many others', has changed considerably. After realizing my new bout with depression and related problems wasn't going to fade away as my immediate anxiety after the storm disappeared, I went back to my previous psychiatrist and he has re-prescribed Prozac under its generic name fluoxetine.

After that preamble, here is what I'm curious about. When I took Prozac the first time, I immediately felt "something" - decreased appetite, a little lethargy, I felt very "still." I started the flux. yesterday (20 mg), and cannot tell I've taken anything. No hint of anything at all - I might as well have taken two aspirin.
Reckon this is normal? I know I'm not going to feel a significant change in my overall mental state for a few weeks, but to not even notice that I've taken something seems unusual. Any thoughts?
thanks for any input

yeah, that happened to me too. the first time I ever started it I had major side effects. Now every start-up is pretty low-key for me as i have been on and off so many times. are you taking a brand name pill or generic? is it a different company making it than what you took before? check out those things, they make a difference to some people (myself included).
Prozac x8 years, Wellbutrin x1 year, Prozac/Wellbutrin combo x2 months, Prozac again x1 year, Currently Prozac-free for ONE YEAR!!! -YAY!

#19 cathyrenee

cathyrenee

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:23 PM

thanks for any input

yeah, that happened to me too. the first time I ever started it I had major side effects. Now every start-up is pretty low-key for me as i have been on and off so many times. are you taking a brand name pill or generic? is it a different company making it than what you took before? check out those things, they make a difference to some people (myself included).

Thanks for your reply - as a matter of fact, I was taking brand name Prozac and am now taking generic fluoxetine. I thought they were supposed to be the same, but are you saying there could be a difference in the formulation?

#20 Ntc233

Ntc233

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

i just started taking prozac, this is my third or fourth week. the first week i was on 10mg but after that she bumped me up to 20mg. She told me it would give me energy and take care of anxiety as well as the deep depression. Well, i have to say i have gotten better controlling my emotions/depression.i feel mellow, i dont feel as hopeless. my mood swings have mellowed out, the only thing is i am ALWAYS tired. and ive been feeling sick-like car sick almost. unease feeling in my stomach and frequent headaches.
dont get me wrong id rather be mellow and on the verge of sleeping 24/7 than going insane and hopelessly depressed.but i want to enjoy like physically AND emotionally, not just one or the other.hopefully these side effects will go away, im seeing her in a few weeks, i hope it gets better.

also, does anyone have manic depression? my doctor mentioned something about it and i felt like i had it because i had most of the symptoms, but i was under pressure at the time so i just said no and left. However she did say if i had manic depression the prozac would make me worse, and i dont think its gotten worse. but i was just wondering so i can keep track of my moods.even though they say its different for everyone.
thanks.

#21 ocarina

ocarina

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

I had that side effect my second time on Prozac (not my first time though). I'm sorry to say it never really went away. It's a nasty feeling, I know. :whatsthat: But I would wait a week or two if possible (unless it's completely interfering with your life) and then talk to your doc... maybe 40 mg is too much...
Melancholic depression, 3 severe episodes, feel pretty good in between episodes though. Currently on 2.5 mg/day Lexapro and supplementing with fish oil, vitamins, tyrosine, exercise and light box. Whew!

Any advice I offer is just that - advice and opinions. I have no degrees that are at all related to the medical field.

#22 Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

I started on 10 mg generic Prozac about a month a ago - upped it from 10 mg to 20 but am going back down to 10 and am going to stay on 10 and take it in the afternoon because otherwise I stay tired ALL day. I am also considering taking it every other day as my doc said some people do this and because Prozac has such a long 1/2 life this works better - especially in re: to the fatigue. I take generic Wellbutrin 2 x day as well (100mg sr in a.m. & another dose at lunch). I've struggled w/depression/anxiety/bipolar for years..only recently did I decide to actually do something about it. I've posted this before - I wish I had. A lot of good years were wasted that didn't need to be. Good luck to everyone and thanks to all who share their stories/experiences. It helps a lot of people.

#23 SLM

SLM

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:08 PM

Hello,
I just started Prozac 3 days ago, and it has made me a bit tired. I am trying it bc my dr says it could help with my low energy. Other meds gave me too many side effects.. Wellbutrin was great, but the ringing in my ears was unbearable.. Abilify made me feel "flat" and caused bad constipation/bloating, and Cymbalta was EXTREMELY sedating.
My obsessions were flaring up, so he also said that Prozac is good for stopping obsessive thinking.
So, I am looking for reassurance that more energy is around the corner.. I am pretty sure that I have some chronic fatigue issues.

Any more GOOD Prozac experiences out there as far as energy and controlling obsessions???
100 mg Oral Dissolving Lamictal
20 mg Viibryd and going up to 40 mg (titration package of samples)

trying to remedy fatigue, OCD, *supposedly* bipolar II (mostly depression)
largest issues: *extreme fatigue* and depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users