Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Increased Zoloft....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gingerj

gingerj

ID: 16527

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

Hello,
It has been a VERY long time since I posted here but have a question for the Zoloft takers:
I have increased my Zoloft from 100mg to 150mg this past Friday; feel a bit better; much less anxiety but have been feeling a bit weepy at times and waking up with a slight nervous stomach. My question: is this side effects of a dose increase and it will subside?? How long should I give Zoloft time to work as if it doesn't work at 150mg, my doc wants to change my med and I really don't want to!!

Thanks
ginger

#2 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

ID: 35694

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

Hi gingerj,

Well I do not take Zoloft but know it well. The side effects you mention are fairly typical of the increase in your dose.

In my opinion give the increased dose another 4 weeks and if are not feeling better by then you Doctor may well want to switch you to another medication.

If it is not going to be effective it is pointless taking it after that time.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

ID: 50382

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hi gingerj,

Well I do not take Zoloft but know it well. The side effects you mention are fairly typical of the increase in your dose.

In my opinion give the increased dose another 4 weeks and if are not feeling better by then you Doctor may well want to switch you to another medication.

If it is not going to be effective it is pointless taking it after that time.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Hello, just wanted to agree with Jim Bow, you do have to allow some time for an increase in dosage to take effect. The side effects of an increase can be just like starting a new AD but perhaps a tad less.. Plese dont get upset over the time it takes to get a medication *and* dosage perfect, it can take some time and I know it can be frustrating but once you get there on proper med *and* proper dosage, the whole process will be worth it.
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#4 gingerj

gingerj

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for your responses! I have wanted to join this Zoloft forum for a while now but just been reading posts.
So increasing the dose can increase anxiety and symptoms before leveling out?? I remember this happening when I started the med initially. I think after about 2 weeks I noticed a big difference. And I don't think the anxiety or weepiness is nearly as bad as what it was. So how long should I give the increased dose a chance? I ahte the roller coaster of emotions with anxiety/depression. I am almost 6 months postpartum as well and believe some of it is due to hormone adjustments of my body. I just hate switching meds due to fear of side effects and worrying if it will work for me or not.

#5 awesomo

awesomo

ID: 53545

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:50 AM

My dose was just increased to 100mg and I can't focus for the life of me. Which sucks, considering I have exams to study for (one of which is tomorrow :/ ). 
Also, I'm experiencing some mood swings (small things make me much angrier than usual). Waking up with a "nervous stomach" - yep, I've experienced that too. Feeling wired, more anxious than usual... I'm getting that too at the moment. No weepiness since the initial side-effects (of starting Z @ 50mg) wore off, though.

But these sorts of things are to be expected from playing around with brain chemistry... you can't eat your cake and have it too, unfortunately. So unless you're sure the side-effects are untenable, and outweigh the depression by far, I'd recommend waiting at least 3 weeks to give the meds a chance.

Of course, it depends on your priorities and the way the meds work for you personally (or don't, as the case may be).

In my case, I'm willing to go through almost anything to get the potential benefits, so from that point of view, I suppose my emotional tolerance for side-effects is a bit higher than average. I'm more than willing to take the stick as long as I end up getting the carrot, so to speak... so take my advice with a pinch of salt. 

#6 gingerj

gingerj

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

My dose was just increased to 100mg and I can't focus for the life of me. Which sucks, considering I have exams to study for (one of which is tomorrow :/ ). 
Also, I'm experiencing some mood swings (small things make me much angrier than usual). Waking up with a "nervous stomach" - yep, I've experienced that too. Feeling wired, more anxious than usual... I'm getting that too at the moment. No weepiness since the initial side-effects (of starting Z @ 50mg) wore off, though.

But these sorts of things are to be expected from playing around with brain chemistry... you can't eat your cake and have it too, unfortunately. So unless you're sure the side-effects are untenable, and outweigh the depression by far, I'd recommend waiting at least 3 weeks to give the meds a chance.

Of course, it depends on your priorities and the way the meds work for you personally (or don't, as the case may be).

In my case, I'm willing to go through almost anything to get the potential benefits, so from that point of view, I suppose my emotional tolerance for side-effects is a bit higher than average. I'm more than willing to take the stick as long as I end up getting the carrot, so to speak... so take my advice with a pinch of salt. 

Thanks! I feel the same way. I really am willing to take what I need to if it makes me feel better; I just hate the road to get there! A couple of weeks of side effects and ups and downs should be nothing compared to feeling good again! I know we will eventually get there again :) I will hang on longer as tomorrow it will only be 1 week at 150mg dose. I just feel scattered most of the time and woke up really early this AM and couldn't go back to sleep. Arghhh, its hard to adjust to meds when you need to focus on work, my 2 yr old and 5month old!! Its good to know others experience the same feelings :)
Thanks for your support!!

#7 gingerj

gingerj

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

Oh and something else....have any of you experienced weight loss on Zoloft?

#8 Sare

Sare

ID: 54550

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:50 AM

I found Zoloft to be weight neutral. It sounds like you need to give the Zoloft at least another couple of weeks to see if there is any improvement with the increased dosage. And it does sound like all of the things you are experiencing at the moment are as a result of increasing your dose of Zoloft - especially as you said that you experienced these kinds of things when you first started on Zoloft. Good luck with it - I hope the increased dose works out for you :-)

#9 Imaworrywart

Imaworrywart

Silver Member

ID: 53939

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:25 AM

Oh and something else....have any of you experienced weight loss on Zoloft?

I haven't lost much weight yet, -2 lbs-but I definitely am not eating as much. I would welcome the weight loss. I really do not have a big desire to drink, which is a good thing too. I'm pleased that Z doesn't make me have sugar cravings or other munchies.

Imaworrywart
A wonderful hope for the future carries me through but sometimes living in the moment stumps me.

Imaworrywart

Follow my rants and ramblings
http://valleydachs.blog.com/

#10 jb123

jb123

ID: 51996

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:31 AM

What dosage are you taking worrywart?

#11 Imaworrywart

Imaworrywart

Silver Member

ID: 53939

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:07 PM

What dosage are you taking worrywart?

50 mg. My 2nd med. I've been on it for about 5 weeks. It's helping some. Not as much as I'd like but my doctor and I are agreeing that I give it another 4 weeks or so and then I might increase the dosage.

Imaworrywart
A wonderful hope for the future carries me through but sometimes living in the moment stumps me.

Imaworrywart

Follow my rants and ramblings
http://valleydachs.blog.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)