Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Starting Cymbalta, Switching From Celexa

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleM

DoubleM

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:08 PM

Hi, I am new here to the Depression Forums and I was just wondering if anyone has switched from Celexa to Cymbalta and what their transition was between medications as far as dose titration. My psychologists goal is to get me up to 60mg Cymbalta. I am currently on 40mg Celexa. He has me lowering the Celexa to 20mg and starting to take 30mg of Cymbalta for 1 week. Then stopping the Celexa completely after 1 week and raise the Cymbalta up to 60mg. Also I was wondering if anyone out there is taking Cymbalta for OCD as well. I always get very anxious and my OCD tends to flare up when switching medications. I am trying to stay positive about the switch but I have had some bad reactions to other meds in the past so that's why I worry. I hope this isn't going to be a difficult period for me transitioning and I really hope the Cymbalta is the answer.

The Celexa seems to be relieving some of the OCD symptoms, I can tolerate them for the most part (still have daily symptoms) but it doesn't seem to help the depression and anxiety. I am hoping Cymbalta will, while still keeping my OCD in check.

This is my 1st SNRI, I have taken a few SSRIs before. Only really prozac has helped me but that has pooped out. I have tried Zoloft, Luvox and Celexa since the prozac stopped working. I also tried adding Wellbutrin and Abilify to the SSRIs but I did not tolerate them.

If you could please share your experiences with Cymbalta with me if you have been or are in a similar situation as me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

#2 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

HI DoubleM

Thanks for posting about your medicine switch. Such switches can be a challenge sometimes, cant' they? It sounds like you have a good plan with your doctor. Don't be hesitant to call your doctor between appointments for coaching or to share what's going on.

It doesn't surprise me that the OCD symptoms might be more intense when you are switching. Alot of the medicines have an activating effect - at least at first - and can make us more likely to get in OCD like loops. Reminding yourself that it is the med or the OCd and not just you can be helpful. That is be kind to yourself.

Everyone is different when it comes to start up side effects. Most typical with Cymbalta would be nausea (eat some food before taking the med) and some activtation. I don't know that Cymbalta has been widely tested with OCD, but it can be helpful with anxiety once it has kicked in fully. So, I can see why your doctor is trying it out with you.

Let us know how it goes.

Tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#3 DoubleM

DoubleM

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:12 PM

Thank you Tim. I appreciate you taking the time to post a reply to my topic.

My current psychiatrist said that I should stay on the 20mg of Celexa and 30mg of Cymbalta and then raise the Cymbalta to 60mg and drop the Celexa after 1 week. At first didn't know whether to just go from the 40mg of Celexa to 60mg Cymbalta all at once right away. (I am assuming this is something he should know and not have to question, but he was) Then he spoke about 3 days only. Then he decided on a week. I called my old psychiatrist and he said 2 weeks before dropping the Celexa completely and raise the Cymbalta to the recommended dose. I am currently with the newer psychiatrist due to insurance limitations in coverage.

It is probably rare to encounter someone who switched from 40mg of Celexa to 60mg of Cymbalta to ask what their process was in switching between the 2. But if there is someone out there, if you could share your experience I would appreciate it greatly.

I have switched other meds before and the switching process was typically a month long. So I guess I am going to go with the 2 weeks instead of 1 week of staying on both since my psychiatrist gave me an extra sample bottle of 7 30mg Cymbalta pills when I asked him. (I have 14 30mg Cymbalta pills in total) and then a script for 60mg of Cymbalta plus enough Celexa to cover the switch as well.

#4 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:31 AM

DoubleM

I'm glad you called your first doctor. That way you can see that there is probably no set protocol for these things. That even the doctors are kind of experimenting. If taking the slower option seems to make sense to you, than that sounds like a good plan. If you don't feel bad effects, you can always move it along a bit faster.

Tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#5 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

Hi DoubleM ,

Well nowadays most Doctors just do a straight switch on the same day and don't bother with weaning down anymore. However Doctor or Psychiatrist is going to do thing ' their way' and you have no choice but to go along with it.

I hope you do well with your switch to an SNRI like Cymbalta , as it sounds like you have been on several SSRI to date.

Remember you can always switch back to Prozac at a later date as it can become effective again after you have been off it for a while. I know many people who have gone back on SSRIs that 'pooped out' on them , and go back on 6 months later to find they work again.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#6 gaddoesnotmeangood

gaddoesnotmeangood

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:29 AM

Hi DoubleM, Any sort of switch is difficult, it is harder for some than others, but if you haven't tried an SNRI before for your OCD it is probably a really good choice. Effexor is another SNRI which worked very well for my anxiety, depression and OCD....Please bear in mind that OCD and GAD (Generalized anxiety disorder) are very very close in symptoms besides the repetitive actions (with GAD its thoughts only) so any anti-d that is good for GAD will more than likely help with your OCD. Im on day 2 of cymbalta, but am having to take 3mg of clonazepam per day as Im having some other major life d-ramas and its just bad timing....I was on 30mg of mirtazapine, but have just dropped that off completely.

#7 Dakotawest

Dakotawest

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hi, I am new here to the Depression Forums and I was just wondering if anyone has switched from Celexa to Cymbalta and what their transition was between medications as far as dose titration. My psychologists goal is to get me up to 60mg Cymbalta. I am currently on 40mg Celexa. He has me lowering the Celexa to 20mg and starting to take 30mg of Cymbalta for 1 week. Then stopping the Celexa completely after 1 week and raise the Cymbalta up to 60mg. Also I was wondering if anyone out there is taking Cymbalta for OCD as well. I always get very anxious and my OCD tends to flare up when switching medications. I am trying to stay positive about the switch but I have had some bad reactions to other meds in the past so that's why I worry. I hope this isn't going to be a difficult period for me transitioning and I really hope the Cymbalta is the answer.

The Celexa seems to be relieving some of the OCD symptoms, I can tolerate them for the most part (still have daily symptoms) but it doesn't seem to help the depression and anxiety. I am hoping Cymbalta will, while still keeping my OCD in check.

This is my 1st SNRI, I have taken a few SSRIs before. Only really prozac has helped me but that has pooped out. I have tried Zoloft, Luvox and Celexa since the prozac stopped working. I also tried adding Wellbutrin and Abilify to the SSRIs but I did not tolerate them.

If you could please share your experiences with Cymbalta with me if you have been or are in a similar situation as me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I am going through the exam same drug change and milligram change that you are. How are you doing? I haven't gotten up to 60 mg yet. I think that comes Monday.

#8 DoubleM

DoubleM

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:21 PM

I have been on 60mg of Cymbalta for 2 weeks now. I experienced some anxiety and agitation during the switch but I dealt with it and stuck it out. It wasn't as bad as I had envisioned it to be. Right now I feel about the same as I did before I switched and I was on the Celexa, maybe a little bit better as far as depression has gone. OCD hasn't really changed. Haven't seen that great of an improvement yet but it is still early.

My main problem is I developed an annoying twitch in my right eye/eyelid/eyebrow and it is progressing. It is really annoying. I am going to the doctor tomorrow and I am going to ask him about it and what I should do. I am guessing he is either going to deny it is from the Cymbalta like most doctors do, or say to stick it out and see if it goes away in another month. But I definitely can't live with it.

Has anyone else out there experienced eye twitching from Cymbalta or any other SSRI?

#9 justkate

justkate

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

I have been on 60mg of Cymbalta for 2 weeks now. I experienced some anxiety and agitation during the switch but I dealt with it and stuck it out. It wasn't as bad as I had envisioned it to be. Right now I feel about the same as I did before I switched and I was on the Celexa, maybe a little bit better as far as depression has gone. OCD hasn't really changed. Haven't seen that great of an improvement yet but it is still early.

My main problem is I developed an annoying twitch in my right eye/eyelid/eyebrow and it is progressing. It is really annoying. I am going to the doctor tomorrow and I am going to ask him about it and what I should do. I am guessing he is either going to deny it is from the Cymbalta like most doctors do, or say to stick it out and see if it goes away in another month. But I definitely can't live with it.

Has anyone else out there experienced eye twitching from Cymbalta or any other SSRI?

Ah, I just started having eyebrow twitching, also on the right eyebrow. I was only on celexa for about a month, just switched that to trazadone a few weeks ago. I am also taking welbutrin. This twitching has been going on for the last 2 days or so, and I can't stand it. I won't see my doc for another month, but if you find anything else out please let me know! reading on google, there may be some foods to include di your diet that might help it go away (someone said bananas worked for them). I'll try that out and see if it works.

#10 DoubleM

DoubleM

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

Ah, I just started having eyebrow twitching, also on the right eyebrow. I was only on celexa for about a month, just switched that to trazadone a few weeks ago. I am also taking welbutrin. This twitching has been going on for the last 2 days or so, and I can't stand it. I won't see my doc for another month, but if you find anything else out please let me know! reading on google, there may be some foods to include di your diet that might help it go away (someone said bananas worked for them). I'll try that out and see if it works.

I have been on 60mg of Cymbalta since November 15th. Twitching in right eye is still going on throughout the day (varies from every few seconds to every few minutes). I am fed up with it. It is completely driving my nuts. I am not positive it's from the Cymbalta but it can't just be a coincidence that it started once I started taking the medication. I asked my psychiatrist about it and he has no clue (he doesn't have a clue about a lot of things, he is too old and needs to retire and I think his memory is gone). Like many other psychiatrists he doesn't admit to the medication having side effects. I have another appointment with him tomorrow and I am contemplating switching back to prozac. I need to find another psychiatrist. I don' know if I should stick out the meds or not until then.

Edited by DoubleM, 28 December 2010 - 03:10 PM.

#11 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

doublem:

Sorry about the twitching, that must be irritating. And your sense that it might be time to find a new doctor may be solid intuition. Only advice, don't leave your current doctor until you find the new one.

Tim

#12 DoubleM

DoubleM

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:09 PM

doublem:

Sorry about the twitching, that must be irritating. And your sense that it might be time to find a new doctor may be solid intuition. Only advice, don't leave your current doctor until you find the new one.

Tim

Twitching has definitely lessened but I feel no better than I did on the Celexa. My motivation and concentration are still suffering (I am worried that I might have ADD, it feels like it is). I don't know whether it is that I am on the wrong medication or the wrong dosage, or it is a symptom of my depression and the medications aren't working at all. But I can't seem to focus or motivate myself. I am currently unemployed and I can't even find the motivation to find a job any more since I have tried so long without success. I try to read articles online and I find it very hard to read and concentrate lately and I find my eyes jumping around the page and not taking in the information. Daily tasks are harder to complete as well. My thoughts seem to become blocked a lot of times. My OCD is still overwhelming at times too especially with certain things. I am thinking of going back on Prozac again (I was on prozac from age 12 to age 27). I don't know what to do anymore but I am in a rut and I can't seem to get out of it. I am just scared. It doesn't seem like the therapist or the psychiatrist are helping either. And it is getting harder and harder to help myself. I have an appointment with the psychiatrist tomorrow and I am going to tell him how I feel (I have before) and see what he says but he probably will just ask me if I want to stay on the Cymbalta or switch back to the Prozac and then I will have to decide myself because he doesn't seem to make the decision.

Edited by DoubleM, 18 January 2011 - 04:14 PM.

#13 Guest_lucyvp_*

Guest_lucyvp_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:17 PM

i can''t help you about the eye twitch, but I can let you know that for me, the Cymbalta took a very long time to "kick in." Hang in, if you can.

#14 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

DoubleM:

I hope that you can have a good conversation with your doctor. Either way seems like a reasonable choice. It is a hard decision. I'd ask your doctor if maybe the prozac might be more effective with the OCD symptoms than the Cymbalta. I don't know the answer to that question, but it might be worth asking.

tim

#15 DoubleM

DoubleM

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

DoubleM:

I hope that you can have a good conversation with your doctor. Either way seems like a reasonable choice. It is a hard decision. I'd ask your doctor if maybe the prozac might be more effective with the OCD symptoms than the Cymbalta. I don't know the answer to that question, but it might be worth asking.

tim

I went to the doctor today. He rushed me out because he was running late. Like I anticipated he didnt say much and asked what I wanted to do. He said I could raise the Cymbalta to 90mg or switch to Prozac and lower the Cymbalta to 30mg and start the Prozac at 10mg. Then go up to 20mg of Prozac after a week and stop the Cymbalta. I explained to him when I was on Prozac I was on 60mg. He said I would have to build back up to that again. I think if I was only on 20mg of prozac I would go crazy. It didn't make any sense. I think this doctor is too rushed, has too many patients, and is too old and needs to retire. I try to get help from a doctor and I can't even get help. The therapist is the same way. It is like me against the world. Nobody cares or wants to help. They are in it for the money, bottom line.I have to see the doctor again in 2 weeks. I am trying to find another doctor but I either can't find good reviews online or there are no reviews at all and I don't want to just pick a random doctor because it will most likely turn out bad.

Edited by DoubleM, 19 January 2011 - 01:11 PM.

#16 KayRBee01

KayRBee01

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

I realize how old this post is but hopefully you will see this.  I am about to switch to Cymbalta after being on Celexa for about 3 yrs.  So I'm wondering if you did stay on Cymbalta or if you switched back to Prozac.  I was on Prozac for about 8 yrs many years ago and it certainly helped me at first but I gained 40lbs while I was on it.  Prozac also stopped working for me eventually.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users