Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Do Other Agoraphobics Support Themselves?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ladytron

ladytron

ID: 53607

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

Can someone tell me an honest solution to making some money from home? I know so many people want to do it and most of it is a scam but I am really desperate. I am 36 and live with my sister, her kids, and her fiance and I feel so ashamed of myself. Everyday I just look online, reading, looking at youtube. I've looked at job boards. I am so terrified of being homeless someday. I have been before, I was staying with my dad and stepmother, they don't understand severe social anxiety and panic and agoraphobia. My stepmom says all you ever do is stay on the internet all day. I am on disability but it is not enough to pay for an apartment, electric. Even if someone said here have a free apartment I would be paralized. I feel like I can't live alone. I know I am a little old to be feeling like this. I need a way to make some income online. I am willing to do it all day. I've been reading about blogging but so far, I don't see anything that isn't a scam or something that seems so great but winds up being alot of time for pennies. There has to be something. I can't sell things on ebay. I live in a rural area and don't have a car. :(

#2 crabshk

crabshk

ID: 49990

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

search for "how to make money reader's digest" on google and click on the first link. there are some tips there on blogging and such.
Dx: Depression. My Meds: Vistaril, prozac, Seroquel.
Meds that didn't work: Lexapro made me more depressed. Buspar=more anxiety. zoloft, wellbutrin=nausea.

#3 Violet31

Violet31

ID: 47678

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:37 PM

Hi ladytron,

Do you have any skills, education or experience you could put to use?

Warm regards,
When you´re going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Viktor Frankl

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Use adversity      Declare Independence 

Violet :rose:

Posted Image

#4 KairasAsh

KairasAsh

ID: 19858

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

I would love to read a blog from someone in a similar situation to myself! You'd get traffic from my IP address, that's for sure. I'm still pretty young so my parents support me, but I make pocket change from answering surveys from Angus Reid. I mean pocket change, like you make enough to buy a giant gumball each week and that's about it.

If you have a craft or skill, you can set up a shop on Etsy and sell your handmade creations. You're going to need an ally though, to pick up supplies and run things out to the post office for you.

In Remission from Depression! It is a constant battle!

#5 ladytron

ladytron

ID: 53607

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

Well, I don't really have a skill, unfortunately. I have thought in the past of writing a book, I have been through a lot of hell in my life and people love to read about other peoples pain, but I would be scared to death that someone I know would find out it was me. I know this seems stupid, I have isolated myself and have an interesting but shameful past. I'm very private and keep to myself. Also it costs money to get a book out which I just don't have and no one I know has it either. I started two days ago on hubpages (link below) but it seems that you have to write about computers, gadgets, or how to make money to actually get any attention on there. I've looked around and havent really found anyone who actually makes much money, but it is kindof like a myspace or facebook where you can meet other people and talk about problems, but I already have facebook and myspace. I just wonder how other people who have these kind of disorders survive? I am lucky to have my sister. I guess most people have family or are married. Otherwise, I don't know how they do it. I've tried selling on ebay before, I sold kids clothes, which is suposed to be a hot market but in reality I just didn't make much. Besides blogging, ebay, and selling things does anyone have any other ideas?
Where you can just use your computer? That is NOT a scam?

#6 Violet31

Violet31

ID: 47678

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

Hi ladytron,

Lots of people work from home, translators, writers, scriptwriters, copyeditors etc. There is also telemarketing you can do at home. If you don´t have a skill, study if you can or learn by yourself online at home.

It´s great to get involved in projects, it will motivate you. If you´re on benefits, check if you can study. In my country you will get money for studying and it´s a lot higher than regular benefits.

By all means, start on your book. Believe in it and write it. J.K. Rowlings wrote Harry Potter when she was on welfare and even though it took her seven years to write it and publish, look where she is now.

Good luck.

Edited by Violet31, 31 October 2010 - 05:31 PM.

When you´re going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Viktor Frankl

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Use adversity      Declare Independence 

Violet :rose:

Posted Image

#7 Maddy14

Maddy14

Just Registered

ID: 58404

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

Hi Ladytron, I too have suffered from Agoraphobia since I was 20, now am 51 years old. I called myself a functional Agoraphobic, where I was able to hold down a job, as long as it was within 10kms from home. I am married but I have always been the main income earner. I have my own vehicle so I could pull over and have my panic then proceed to get to work or where I needed to be. It has been hell, not an easy life. I also raised 2 very intelligent children. Now my health has been giving me trouble, physically, so I am taking an online bookkeeping course so if I need to I can maybe work from home running a bookkeeping business. I have applied for disability but could be denied as you have to be near death from what I hear before they will give it to you. Anyway I do understand what you have lived with. You probably think I am different because I have functioned a bit more than what you are able to at this point, but believe me we are not much different. You have to quit beating yourself up, easier said than done as I do the same. I am embarrassed by my condition, as I have to have my son or daughter go with me to get to many places that are only 10-15 min's from home. I no longer have the panic attacks as I have been taking many naturopathic products which has helped me greatly. I am much calmer, but still a scared to venture outside my comfort zone. I want to but am so afraid. Maybe you can take a course similar to what I am doing to help you make a legit earning, doing something you enjoy. I love numbers so that is what drew me to bookkeeping. I too live in a rural area, but with the vehicle I was able to get to a job that was no more than 10 min's away. If you could go to a naturopath, they can help you alot. Everything I have taken gave me absolutely no side effects. I have an extreme fear of drugs, even was scared to swallow the naturopathic stuff until I tried and found no side effects. It got easier in time. You should not feel that you are any less of a person just because you are agoraphobic or suffer panic attacks. No one could possibly understand unless they have lived it themselves. I wish you luck, you can move forward with positive results, just take small steps, you can do it....I know you can.

#8 tamsynx

tamsynx

ID: 43503

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

(I just took a course in online writing so I picked up some hints ;)
Hubpages is mainly a way to get yourself noticed by having written something (you can write about anything). You can also try writing for Yahoo! (not much pay - go to Yahoo Associated Content). If you have any kind of writing background there are a lot of writing jobs out there (even on Craigslist). If they ask for samples of your writing you can show them what you did on Hubpages. Once you have a few writing gigs under your belt you can work up to writing content for web sites or even being the editor for a web site. You generally need a paypal account for this too, but the basic account is free.

edit: And yes, I know all this because that's what I'm trying to do :) PM me if you need more info, or links.

If you're a good typist, you might be able to try working as a medical transcriptionist. They listen to tapes of doctor and type it up. But you have to be fast. I don't know how you get the tape though; you may need someone to pick it up and drop it off. There should be info on that at one of your local employment agencies (hopefully on-line).

And please don't feel ashamed. It's not your fault that there's some weird chemical imbalance in your head. You're doing your best!
:bestwishes:

Edited by tamsynx, 20 February 2011 - 11:23 AM.

I am not a doctor. All I can do is offer my opinion.

#9 Achelois

Achelois

ID: 50989

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:15 PM

Can someone tell me an honest solution to making some money from home? I know so many people want to do it and most of it is a scam but I am really desperate. I am 36 and live with my sister, her kids, and her fiance and I feel so ashamed of myself. Everyday I just look online, reading, looking at youtube. I've looked at job boards. I am so terrified of being homeless someday. I have been before, I was staying with my dad and stepmother, they don't understand severe social anxiety and panic and agoraphobia. My stepmom says all you ever do is stay on the internet all day. I am on disability but it is not enough to pay for an apartment, electric. Even if someone said here have a free apartment I would be paralized. I feel like I can't live alone. I know I am a little old to be feeling like this. I need a way to make some income online. I am willing to do it all day. I've been reading about blogging but so far, I don't see anything that isn't a scam or something that seems so great but winds up being alot of time for pennies. There has to be something. I can't sell things on ebay. I live in a rural area and don't have a car. :(

Graphic designer, freelance journalist....have 2 friends as mentioned, work from home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users