Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Switching From Celexa To Effexor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 San_miguel

San_miguel

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

Hi all,

A few questions. I have been on celexa since mid may this year. Started off at 20 mg and since mid sept have been on 60 mg (the max dose). I still don't feel any better.
I should say this is to treat anxiety and panic and now probably depression. The only thing that kind of keeps it under control is klonopin but I keep upping the dosage,

My dr has suggested that I switch to effexor.
My dr says I can switch straight away, is that true? No tappering?
Do you think effexor is a better alternative? Will it help with all 3 issues I've been having?

Thanks in advance
Cheers

#2 roman13

roman13

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

Hey there San,

I've switched from Celexa to Effexor
, however I did taper off the Celexa while slowly going onto Effexor at the same time. Now I take 225 mg of Effexor for Panic attacks, anxiety and depression. I like it WAY better than Celexa, way less side effects. It also really seems to help with minimizing the amount of anxiety and panic I've had/ been having. Recently upped my dose of Effexor after 150mg stopped working. So still waiting to see if it helps me a bit better.

You may want to talk to your doc about
slowly going off of Celexa, sometimes just stopping is not the best, but hey, what do I know? Good luck, hopefully Effexor will help you like it did, me!

Peace and love

-r13

Be good to yourself today.

#3 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

Hi San_miguel,

Yes it is normal to do a straight switch to Effexor from Celexa nowadays.

Effexor is a more powerful antidepressant and it would act on your depression, panic and anxiety. Do allow up to 6 weeks for it to be fully effective. Any side effects will ease off in time.

Do visit the Effexor forum for more information.

Celexa is an SSRI AD
Effexor is an SNRI AD

Best wishes with your new medication.

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#4 San_miguel

San_miguel

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

Hey there San,

I've switched from Celexa to Effexor
, however I did taper off the Celexa while slowly going onto Effexor at the same time. Now I take 225 mg of Effexor for Panic attacks, anxiety and depression. I like it WAY better than Celexa, way less side effects. It also really seems to help with minimizing the amount of anxiety and panic I've had/ been having. Recently upped my dose of Effexor after 150mg stopped working. So still waiting to see if it helps me a bit better.

You may want to talk to your doc about
slowly going off of Celexa, sometimes just stopping is not the best, but hey, what do I know? Good luck, hopefully Effexor will help you like it did, me!

Peace and love

-r13

Thanks for the quick reply. Did effexor completely cure your anxiety? It's just completely taken over my life now. The next attack is always just around the corner
Cheers

#5 San_miguel

San_miguel

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hi San_miguel,

Yes it is normal to do a straight switch to Effexor from Celexa nowadays.

Effexor is a more powerful antidepressant and it would act on your depression, panic and anxiety. Do allow up to 6 weeks for it to be fully effective. Any side effects will ease off in time.

Do visit the Effexor forum for more information.

Celexa is an SSRI AD
Effexor is an SNRI AD

Best wishes with your new medication.

Jim Bow

Good to hear. I just hope I can get some in Afghanistan. It was my doc in Canada who suggested the switch but I was not sure if the meds were available over there.

#6 roman13

roman13

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Did effexor completely cure your anxiety? It's just completely taken over my life now. The next attack is always just around the corner
Cheers

Hey again San,

It didn't take ALL of my anxiety away, I still need clonazepam or ativan for the occasional panic attack, but it DID take about 90% away!
Good luck!

-r13

Be good to yourself today.

#7 San_miguel

San_miguel

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

So, a little update

Doc put me on 75mg of Effexor XR today. Stopped the celexa cold turkey. Next week i move up to 150mg is all looks good.

Still have the Klonopin to take only if needed (did not need it today).

Cheers

#8 San_miguel

San_miguel

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:46 AM

Little Update.

After 1 week at 75mg Effexor XR i was moved up to 150mg (today was the first dose).
The last week was OK, i only needed the Klonopin once. The Late Afternoon anxiety i get was very mild and fought past it. The Effexor also caused no real side effects that i could tell and i also slept at night.

Maybe is was just coincedence but about 2 hrs after my first dose of 150 Effexor today, i started to get this nervous feeling for no reason. I waited it out but after awhile went for the .5mg Klonopin to help.

I will wait this out for a couple of more weeks at 150mg to see how it goes. Is it possible that a lower dosage is more effective? As you can probably tell i am desperate to find a solution to this Anxiety/Panic issue as it has gone on way to long and started to cause depression.

Thanks Again

Cheers,

#9 jenbri

jenbri

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

Hi San-Miguel,

I switched gradually from Celexa to Effexor XR. I'm up to 375mg (for major depression) and in addition take 375mg Lamictal (for epilepsy & depression). I had depression, but am depression-free right now. I've heard it can also relieve social anxiety, but so far I seem to fear people as much as I used to. I ran out of meds thinking I had another bottle and stopped taking Effexor. After 2 days I felt kind of yucky . I ordered some more and started back on full dose which cured the ickies right away. I decided to make sure it was the lack of Effexor that caused the sick feeling and stopped again. Same thing happened. I stopped a third time when I mistook Percocet for Effexor. No side effects this time; maybe the Percocet helped?

#10 angelwings17

angelwings17

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

Little Update.

After 1 week at 75mg Effexor XR i was moved up to 150mg (today was the first dose).
The last week was OK, i only needed the Klonopin once. The Late Afternoon anxiety i get was very mild and fought past it. The Effexor also caused no real side effects that i could tell and i also slept at night.

Maybe is was just coincedence but about 2 hrs after my first dose of 150 Effexor today, i started to get this nervous feeling for no reason. I waited it out but after awhile went for the .5mg Klonopin to help.

I will wait this out for a couple of more weeks at 150mg to see how it goes. Is it possible that a lower dosage is more effective? As you can probably tell i am desperate to find a solution to this Anxiety/Panic issue as it has gone on way to long and started to cause depression.

Thanks Again

Cheers,

Hey there,
I suffer from Anxiety and Panic as well, I was on Celexa for 4 years, came off it for 2 years. Then when I had massive relaps I tried celexa again didnt work, I came off it over a few weeks then went onto Efexor. Started on 37.5mg, after a couple weeks I had a really great week then crashed, so moved up to 75mg. No panic attacks, but the fear of them and the contant anxiety was still there. So i've been moved up to 150mg, been on that for 8 days now, still no improvement. I'm very sleepy atm, I'm not sure weather its side effects from going up or what. I'm very desperate to find a solution to my panic/anxiety as well. And it has started to cause depression for me too. If you ever want to talk since were in a simalar situation you can always message me :)
GAD W/ Panic Attacks and Agoraphobia - Clonazepam 0.5mg as needed - Effexor 75mg - Zopiclone 7.5mg

#11 queserasera4

queserasera4

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Hi San Miguel if you are still here and to all of you who have done this switch -  just wondering how the switch worked for you long term.  Seeing that you have not been on the site for a while San Miguel I hope it means that you are well.

I have been on lexapro since December last year, so 4 months from 10mg to 20mg and now coming back to 5mg this week.  The doctor wants to try me with effexor and I have the script ready to fill.  She has suggested that I reduce the dose gradually and wait a week then go on the effexor.

Fatigue and ongoing lack of motivation/concentation and sadness continue for me so hence the plan to switch. 

My children are on school camp for three days and yesterday I forced myself to do something I normally have enjoyed in the past - exercise.

I took my pushbike near to where I live to the waterfront where there is a 14k sealed path - a beautiful ride.    I rode down to the end secured the bike then walked back along the waterfront 14ks to the car.  I then drove back to the bike, unlocked it and felt the need to do more so did the return ride 28ks.   Then drove home to the empty house but was satisfied that I had achieved something.

Today stretches ahead and I have lots and lots to do about the house.

I am tempted to do a straight switch and deal with any side effect consequences if they are not damaging and just short term.

If anyone else has comment to offer that would be appreciated.

Best wishes.

#12 queserasera4

queserasera4

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

bump

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users