Advertisement
ja4445

Cymbalta Weight Loss Or Gain? Poll

171 members have voted

1. 1. Did you gain or lose weight on Cymbalta?

• Gain
    • Lose
    • Same
    • Dont know

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

70 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

Lets find out! :smile:

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Hi Ja:

I haven't been on it long enough to tell. Interesting variable is to what extent does the Cymbalta (or any AD) cause the weight gain and how much of weight gain is a sign that the depression is lessening and appetite is returning.

Tim

Posted

I agree with Tim;I think is not the medicine itself doing it but us feeling better and enjoying life!!! :Coopclapping:

Posted

Hi Ja:

I haven't been on it long enough to tell. Interesting variable is to what extent does the Cymbalta (or any AD) cause the weight gain and how much of weight gain is a sign that the depression is lessening and appetite is returning.

Tim

Tim, didnt know you were on cymbalta also. So am I. You comment really interests me because so far on cymbalta, I have had next to no appetite, nothing stimulates me to eat. Its so bad, I am currently on liquid protein drinks for support. I am hoping that when Cymbalta kicks in, my appetite for things will return. Your reasoning behind this sounds very valid, so I would like to ask any posters following this thread, did you have a loss of appetite when starting an AD and did your appetite improve when you started feeling better, because its starting to really worry me that I can barely force myself to eat anything. I cant let myself get weak, I am keeping active, but still my appetite is next to zero. It frightens me to say the least...

Would love other responses if this is a correct scenario, i.e. when you feel better, your appetite returns! thanks...

Posted

I've been taking Cymbalta now for about 3 months....mostly at 60mg and 90mg...a short stint a while ago at 120mg and now I'm back to 120mg for the last 2 1/2 weeks. Again, the typical disclaimer: We all react differently to these meds. That being said, I'd have to say that Cymbalta has definitely curbed my appetite significantly. However, one of the biggest reasons why I finally decided to wean off of Effexor after 9 years this past Spring (bad move in hindsight) was because of all of the weight I GAINED through those years that I blamed mostly on the Effexor. So, for me, while my overall response to Cymbalta has been less than spectacular so far to say the least, the loss of appetite and weight has actually been a welcome side effect....at least for the time being that is. However, it's not to the point where I just cannot bear to eat ANYTHING.....but it is a significant change that I do not feel can be linked to my peak & valley battles with depression ever since weaning off of Effexor.

Posted (edited)

Hi MidageDad. I heard some good things about Cymbalta so hopefully it will work for you.

Lindahurt

Edited by lindahurt

Posted

My experience has been that on Effexor I ate like a horse!!!

I was sooooo hungry all the time......

I am now on cymbalta and def have less appetite. It's not non existent, just a bit more normal!!!

Posted (edited)

I was taking 90mg of Cymbalta. It was the best antidepressant that I had ever taken in terms of my mood - it improved so much on the Cymbalta. BUT, the weight gain was absolutely terrible, and ultimately lead to my having to stop taking Cymbalta. The Cymbalta didn't increase my appetite, and it didn't cause me to eat any more than normal, I just continued to gain weight regardless. My psychiatrist theorised that it was really slowing my metabolism. I was gaining about 1kg per week. I went on a strict diet, did lots of exercise, tried different types of exercise, but nothing at all helped, so eventually I had to stop taking Cymbalta. Cymbalta is supposed to be weight neutral, but both my gp and psychiatrist have told me that they have had other patients/clients who have also gained weight on it. I still feel really sad about the fact that I had to give up Cymbalta because of the weight gain.

Edited by Sare

Posted

Hi, I have been on a number of these drugs, I am coming off Cymbalta and it was fine in the beginning but I was still getting depressed and crying and now my Doctor put me on Pristiq, I will am on my third day or sorry 4th days this evening and right now I just get little dizzy spells, tingling in the lips. I can't say weight gain or loss is from the pills cause ppl say you gain on birth control but I say if you get off your bum and eat healthy you can lose cause I was on the pill since I was 16 for a total of 14 years and I lost 70lbs, sadly I gained back a good chunk but I stopped eating right and exercising but going to start again. I am a person who has cronic depression which makes me sad cause I have a loving fiance and two amazing step kids a job I love but starting to dislike cause the atmosphere, and I'm also over weight again. which has me depressed. I have read some ppl say they were put on Pristiz with folate but my doctor didn't recommend that but maybe she thinks I am taking it cause After I am married I will be trying for a baby and she told me to start taking it, sadly just like the pill I never take it every day or at the same time. Also I'm nervous about taking multi vitamins cause of something I read but I could be wrong, anyone have experience with Pristiq and can share some information on? I'm tired of being tired and I hate taking pills so this is challeneging for me. Thank you for your time.

Posted

Hi Sweetsmile, welcome to the DF :-) In terms of you wanting to hear from anyone who has experience with Pristiq, perhaps it might be better to post on the Effexor/Pristiq area of the forum because you are more likely to get people taking Pristiq to read your post and be able to reply to you about their experience of the med. Good luck.

Posted

Lets find out! :smile:

I'm currently going off Cymbalta, but in the 2 1/2 months that I was on it I found I was constantly hungry, had no will power to not eat, and I gained about 10 lbs.

Posted

Gain, definitely gain.

In the first 2 weeks I gained 10 pounds. Seriously. And my diet had not changed. . I assume some of it was water that has just never gone away. Over two years it was 35-40lbs. I have been an emotional eater, and therefor as my spirits improved after being on the drug, I was working out regularly and eating quite well. In fact, I did Weight Watchers, which had been successful for me in the past, and after 4 weeks (including heavy cardio) had not lost a pound. This may be a weight neutral drug for some, but definitely not for me.

Posted

Gain. No doubt. Gained 25 lbs. in a year. I am hungry all the time, crave carbs, and tired all the time. This is a total contradiction of the way I was before.

Posted

Gain. No doubt. Gained 25 lbs. in a year. I am hungry all the time, crave carbs, and tired all the time. This is a total contradiction of the way I was before.

Me too, but about 7-9lbs. I'm very petite, though. But I am constantly craving food and have no energy or motivation. I just want to lay around all day and eat.

Posted

Lost lost lost...

Its strange, I go from pains in my stomach(needing now to carry around some Pepto), yes, that bad....to no pain(yay!)...to this uncomfortable bloating feeling.

I must say that I am hopeful that this will subside because the recurrent mini-headaches at the base of my head are getting less and less frequent.

I gotta tell you though, if I had to pick, I pick happy. Not that I want to gain weight, been fat and I'm not a fan.

Huge Fan of Happy.

On Cymbalta 60, I getting closer to my sunshine everyday...it is changing my life.

Fingers crossed for happy for all!

Peace...out. =o ]

Posted

Neither gain or loss for me but I was only on cymbalta for 3 months and am now tapering off to go back on citalopram.

Posted

I take 120mgs of cymbalta, and it works great for me but also take 150mgs of trazadone at night. I find it hard to eat in the mornings after taking my cymbalta but eat like a pig after I take the trazadone. I gained over 100 pds on seroquel over 7 yrs but lost most of it after stopping. I've been on cymbalta for a little over 3 yrs and haven't gained much. I think its the trazadone. I'm going to stop to see how i do. I love this site. I have not even thought about my how my meds affected my weight. So much information here.

Posted

Hi. I need to add myself to the "weight gain" side of the poll. My depression IS lessening, but I am definitely not eating more, am not craving extra carbs or anything, there has been zero change in my life. I started Cymbalta two months ago and I VERY quickly gained 12 lb's (maybe more by now), which is very unusual for me. I am short, so those extra 12 lb's adds up very quickly and now I am actually getting depressed because of my weight. I know it is Cymbalta. I KNOW it is. The gain just keeps piling up faster and faster. Since I am very resistant to depression meds, my psychiatrist was displeased with me wanting to decrease or stop the med since it DOES work for me. I can't handle losing my wardrobe with no money to buy more, the ability to leave my house without being so mortified with feeling fatter and fatter...my anxiety and depression are now worse due to the weight gain. It's counterproductive for me.

I'm about to at least go down to 30 mg from 60 mg, and I am scared of the withdrawals. I am sure I will be back to read up on those more as well. Thank you for your time.

I wish everyone luck.

*sad to be fat, and sad to be sad*

Posted (edited)

Wow, it's hard to make sense of this poll. It is equally split. My doctor just switched me to Cymbalta from Celexa, and I already have had issues in the past controlling my weight. I hope this new medicine doesn't make it even harder on me.

Edited by gnat

Posted (edited)

Lost lost lost...

Its strange, I go from pains in my stomach(needing now to carry around some Pepto), yes, that bad....to no pain(yay!)...to this uncomfortable bloating feeling.

I must say that I am hopeful that this will subside because the recurrent mini-headaches at the base of my head are getting less and less frequent.

I gotta tell you though, if I had to pick, I pick happy. Not that I want to gain weight, been fat and I'm not a fan.

Huge Fan of Happy.

On Cymbalta 60, I getting closer to my sunshine everyday...it is changing my life.

Fingers crossed for happy for all!

Peace...out. =o ]

I had the same results in terms of the stomach pain, but I guess my body reacted differently. Because I was constantly nauseous or having stomach pains, I would start snacking because it seemed like filling it up was the only thing that lessened the pain. I had a hard time with fruit too, because I only seem to like citrus-y type fruit (which the acid would upset my stomach) so I ended up filling up on junk food/plain carbs that didn't upset my stomach.

The two months that I was on it I gained about twelve pounds. I also had the recurrent mini-headaches, so that coupled with the nausea made it difficult to exercise.

I definitely understand where you are coming from, Olivia. No matter how good an AD is on my mood, if it makes me gain weight my self-confidence plummets - your quote 'sad to be fat, sad to be sad' is the best way I've heard it put. Good luck with weaning off it! It was a very difficult process for me, I'm still having brain zaps even though it's been a week since my last dose.

Edited by DangerDanger

Posted (edited)

i have been on cymbalta for 1 year and i did not gain weight !!!!!! i feel neither tired nor excited!!!!! just relaxed more

Edited by maniaso
Phoenix1 likes this

Posted

A little weight gain (acceptable) and lots and lots of exercise to keep it that way.

englishrose likes this

Posted

I just started taking cymbalta a week ago.

I'm terrified of weight gain because I have an eating disorder. My psychiatrist said I wouldn't gain weight and that most people lose weight but what I'm finding on the internet is that so many people gained weight. I don't think I could cope... what should I do?

Posted

Meds effect us differently. Not everyone will experience an increase in appetite. You won't know what side effects you may experience until you give it a try. If it increase incoporate exercise and plan healthier meals and snacks. If it becomes too bothersome and you can't control your eating then speak with your doctor about it.

But, I completely understand your fear of gaining weight, as that has always been one of my main concerns with antidepressants. I have been hospitalize on several occasions for bipolar, ptsd, and anorexia/bulimia and compulsive exercising in the past. I would not comply to any med that caused an increase in my appetite. But I first gave the meds a chance before asking my doctor to prescribe me something else.

Lindahurt

Phoenix1 likes this

Posted

I just started taking cymbalta a week ago.

I'm terrified of weight gain because I have an eating disorder. My psychiatrist said I wouldn't gain weight and that most people lose weight but what I'm finding on the internet is that so many people gained weight. I don't think I could cope... what should I do?

Hello,

I just started cymbalta after the effexor I've been on for a few years stopped working. It is too soon for me to tell if I've gained weight but I do notice that I am CRAVING carbs and sugar...I have been wanting to wolf down pastries and bread...things I have not had any interest in eating for a long time. The effexor decreased my appetite so I hope I can remain weight neutral. Two tools I'm using are a food log so that I can remain accountable to myself and exercise to ward off the urge to nap. I could sleep all day if I let myself but the weather has been nice so I walk more or just do some jumping jacks to get going.

Hope this helps.

Sheila.