Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta Weight Loss Or Gain? Poll

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Cymbalta Weight Loss Or Gain? Poll (146 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you gain or lose weight on Cymbalta?

1. Gain (55 votes [37.67%])

Percentage of vote: 37.67%

2. Lose (41 votes [28.08%])

Percentage of vote: 28.08%

3. Same (24 votes [16.44%])

Percentage of vote: 16.44%

4. Voted Dont know (26 votes [17.81%])

Percentage of vote: 17.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ja4445

ja4445

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

Lets find out! :smile:

#2 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

Hi Ja:

I haven't been on it long enough to tell. Interesting variable is to what extent does the Cymbalta (or any AD) cause the weight gain and how much of weight gain is a sign that the depression is lessening and appetite is returning.

Tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#3 hope101

hope101

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

I agree with Tim;I think is not the medicine itself doing it but us feeling better and enjoying life!!! :Coopclapping:

#4 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

Hi Ja:

I haven't been on it long enough to tell. Interesting variable is to what extent does the Cymbalta (or any AD) cause the weight gain and how much of weight gain is a sign that the depression is lessening and appetite is returning.

Tim

Tim, didnt know you were on cymbalta also. So am I. You comment really interests me because so far on cymbalta, I have had next to no appetite, nothing stimulates me to eat. Its so bad, I am currently on liquid protein drinks for support. I am hoping that when Cymbalta kicks in, my appetite for things will return. Your reasoning behind this sounds very valid, so I would like to ask any posters following this thread, did you have a loss of appetite when starting an AD and did your appetite improve when you started feeling better, because its starting to really worry me that I can barely force myself to eat anything. I cant let myself get weak, I am keeping active, but still my appetite is next to zero. It frightens me to say the least...
Would love other responses if this is a correct scenario, i.e. when you feel better, your appetite returns! thanks...
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#5 MidAgeDad

MidAgeDad

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

I've been taking Cymbalta now for about 3 months....mostly at 60mg and 90mg...a short stint a while ago at 120mg and now I'm back to 120mg for the last 2 1/2 weeks. Again, the typical disclaimer: We all react differently to these meds. That being said, I'd have to say that Cymbalta has definitely curbed my appetite significantly. However, one of the biggest reasons why I finally decided to wean off of Effexor after 9 years this past Spring (bad move in hindsight) was because of all of the weight I GAINED through those years that I blamed mostly on the Effexor. So, for me, while my overall response to Cymbalta has been less than spectacular so far to say the least, the loss of appetite and weight has actually been a welcome side effect....at least for the time being that is. However, it's not to the point where I just cannot bear to eat ANYTHING.....but it is a significant change that I do not feel can be linked to my peak & valley battles with depression ever since weaning off of Effexor.

#6 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hi MidageDad. I heard some good things about Cymbalta so hopefully it will work for you.

Lindahurt

Edited by lindahurt, 05 November 2010 - 05:24 PM.

Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#7 snowman73

snowman73

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:32 PM

My experience has been that on Effexor I ate like a horse!!!

I was sooooo hungry all the time......

I am now on cymbalta and def have less appetite. It's not non existent, just a bit more normal!!!

#8 Sare

Sare

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:14 AM

I was taking 90mg of Cymbalta. It was the best antidepressant that I had ever taken in terms of my mood - it improved so much on the Cymbalta. BUT, the weight gain was absolutely terrible, and ultimately lead to my having to stop taking Cymbalta. The Cymbalta didn't increase my appetite, and it didn't cause me to eat any more than normal, I just continued to gain weight regardless. My psychiatrist theorised that it was really slowing my metabolism. I was gaining about 1kg per week. I went on a strict diet, did lots of exercise, tried different types of exercise, but nothing at all helped, so eventually I had to stop taking Cymbalta. Cymbalta is supposed to be weight neutral, but both my gp and psychiatrist have told me that they have had other patients/clients who have also gained weight on it. I still feel really sad about the fact that I had to give up Cymbalta because of the weight gain.

Edited by Sare, 07 November 2010 - 05:15 AM.

#9 sweetsmile79

sweetsmile79

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

Hi, I have been on a number of these drugs, I am coming off Cymbalta and it was fine in the beginning but I was still getting depressed and crying and now my Doctor put me on Pristiq, I will am on my third day or sorry 4th days this evening and right now I just get little dizzy spells, tingling in the lips. I can't say weight gain or loss is from the pills cause ppl say you gain on birth control but I say if you get off your bum and eat healthy you can lose cause I was on the pill since I was 16 for a total of 14 years and I lost 70lbs, sadly I gained back a good chunk but I stopped eating right and exercising but going to start again. I am a person who has cronic depression which makes me sad cause I have a loving fiance and two amazing step kids a job I love but starting to dislike cause the atmosphere, and I'm also over weight again. which has me depressed. I have read some ppl say they were put on Pristiz with folate but my doctor didn't recommend that but maybe she thinks I am taking it cause After I am married I will be trying for a baby and she told me to start taking it, sadly just like the pill I never take it every day or at the same time. Also I'm nervous about taking multi vitamins cause of something I read but I could be wrong, anyone have experience with Pristiq and can share some information on? I'm tired of being tired and I hate taking pills so this is challeneging for me. Thank you for your time.
sweetsmile79

#10 Sare

Sare

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:03 PM

Hi Sweetsmile, welcome to the DF :-) In terms of you wanting to hear from anyone who has experience with Pristiq, perhaps it might be better to post on the Effexor/Pristiq area of the forum because you are more likely to get people taking Pristiq to read your post and be able to reply to you about their experience of the med. Good luck.

#11 rmalcolm88

rmalcolm88

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:44 PM

Lets find out! :smile:

I'm currently going off Cymbalta, but in the 2 1/2 months that I was on it I found I was constantly hungry, had no will power to not eat, and I gained about 10 lbs.

#12 shade5555

shade5555

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

Gain, definitely gain.

In the first 2 weeks I gained 10 pounds. Seriously. And my diet had not changed. . I assume some of it was water that has just never gone away. Over two years it was 35-40lbs. I have been an emotional eater, and therefor as my spirits improved after being on the drug, I was working out regularly and eating quite well. In fact, I did Weight Watchers, which had been successful for me in the past, and after 4 weeks (including heavy cardio) had not lost a pound. This may be a weight neutral drug for some, but definitely not for me.

#13 juliej

juliej

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:27 PM

Gain. No doubt. Gained 25 lbs. in a year. I am hungry all the time, crave carbs, and tired all the time. This is a total contradiction of the way I was before.

#14 bigtwins99

bigtwins99

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

Gain. No doubt. Gained 25 lbs. in a year. I am hungry all the time, crave carbs, and tired all the time. This is a total contradiction of the way I was before.

Me too, but about 7-9lbs. I'm very petite, though. But I am constantly craving food and have no energy or motivation. I just want to lay around all day and eat.

#15 ISOpeace4all

ISOpeace4all

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

Lost lost lost...

Its strange, I go from pains in my stomach(needing now to carry around some Pepto), yes, that bad....to no pain(yay!)...to this uncomfortable bloating feeling.
I must say that I am hopeful that this will subside because the recurrent mini-headaches at the base of my head are getting less and less frequent.

I gotta tell you though, if I had to pick, I pick happy. Not that I want to gain weight, been fat and I'm not a fan.
Huge Fan of Happy.
On Cymbalta 60, I getting closer to my sunshine everyday...it is changing my life.
Fingers crossed for happy for all!

Peace...out. =o ]

#16 Kim1969

Kim1969

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:27 AM

Neither gain or loss for me but I was only on cymbalta for 3 months and am now tapering off to go back on citalopram.

#17 renee1963

renee1963

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:09 AM

I take 120mgs of cymbalta, and it works great for me but also take 150mgs of trazadone at night. I find it hard to eat in the mornings after taking my cymbalta but eat like a pig after I take the trazadone. I gained over 100 pds on seroquel over 7 yrs but lost most of it after stopping. I've been on cymbalta for a little over 3 yrs and haven't gained much. I think its the trazadone. I'm going to stop to see how i do. I love this site. I have not even thought about my how my meds affected my weight. So much information here.

#18 Olivia222

Olivia222

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hi. I need to add myself to the "weight gain" side of the poll. My depression IS lessening, but I am definitely not eating more, am not craving extra carbs or anything, there has been zero change in my life. I started Cymbalta two months ago and I VERY quickly gained 12 lb's (maybe more by now), which is very unusual for me. I am short, so those extra 12 lb's adds up very quickly and now I am actually getting depressed because of my weight. I know it is Cymbalta. I KNOW it is. The gain just keeps piling up faster and faster. Since I am very resistant to depression meds, my psychiatrist was displeased with me wanting to decrease or stop the med since it DOES work for me. I can't handle losing my wardrobe with no money to buy more, the ability to leave my house without being so mortified with feeling fatter and fatter...my anxiety and depression are now worse due to the weight gain. It's counterproductive for me.

I'm about to at least go down to 30 mg from 60 mg, and I am scared of the withdrawals. I am sure I will be back to read up on those more as well. Thank you for your time.
I wish everyone luck.

*sad to be fat, and sad to be sad*

#19 gnat

gnat

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:00 PM

Wow, it's hard to make sense of this poll. It is equally split. My doctor just switched me to Cymbalta from Celexa, and I already have had issues in the past controlling my weight. I hope this new medicine doesn't make it even harder on me.

Edited by gnat, 08 April 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#20 DangerDanger

DangerDanger

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

Lost lost lost...

Its strange, I go from pains in my stomach(needing now to carry around some Pepto), yes, that bad....to no pain(yay!)...to this uncomfortable bloating feeling.
I must say that I am hopeful that this will subside because the recurrent mini-headaches at the base of my head are getting less and less frequent.

I gotta tell you though, if I had to pick, I pick happy. Not that I want to gain weight, been fat and I'm not a fan.
Huge Fan of Happy.
On Cymbalta 60, I getting closer to my sunshine everyday...it is changing my life.
Fingers crossed for happy for all!

Peace...out. =o ]

I had the same results in terms of the stomach pain, but I guess my body reacted differently. Because I was constantly nauseous or having stomach pains, I would start snacking because it seemed like filling it up was the only thing that lessened the pain. I had a hard time with fruit too, because I only seem to like citrus-y type fruit (which the acid would upset my stomach) so I ended up filling up on junk food/plain carbs that didn't upset my stomach.

The two months that I was on it I gained about twelve pounds. I also had the recurrent mini-headaches, so that coupled with the nausea made it difficult to exercise.

I definitely understand where you are coming from, Olivia. No matter how good an AD is on my mood, if it makes me gain weight my self-confidence plummets - your quote 'sad to be fat, sad to be sad' is the best way I've heard it put. Good luck with weaning off it! It was a very difficult process for me, I'm still having brain zaps even though it's been a week since my last dose.

Edited by DangerDanger, 08 April 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#21 maniaso

maniaso

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:42 AM

i have been on cymbalta for 1 yearand i did not gain weight !!!!!! i feel neither tired nor excited!!!!! just relaxed more

Edited by maniaso, 20 April 2011 - 08:45 AM.

• Phoenix1 likes this

#22 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

A little weight gain (acceptable) and lots and lots of exercise to keep it that way.
  • englishrose likes this

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#23 Chickpea

Chickpea

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

I just started taking cymbalta a week ago.

I'm terrified of weight gain because I have an eating disorder. My psychiatrist said I wouldn't gain weight and that most people lose weight but what I'm finding on the internet is that so many people gained weight. I don't think I could cope... what should I do?

#24 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

Meds effect us differently. Not everyone will experience an increase in appetite. You won't know what side effects you may experience until you give it a try. If it increase incoporate exercise and plan healthier meals and snacks. If it becomes too bothersome and you can't control your eating then speak with your doctor about it.

But, I completely understand your fear of gaining weight, as that has always been one of my main concerns with antidepressants. I have been hospitalize on several occasions for bipolar, ptsd, and anorexia/bulimia and compulsive exercising in the past. I would not comply to any med that caused an increase in my appetite. But I first gave the meds a chance before asking my doctor to prescribe me something else.

Lindahurt
  • Phoenix1 likes this
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#25 dharma241

dharma241

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

I'm terrified of weight gain because I have an eating disorder. My psychiatrist said I wouldn't gain weight and that most people lose weight but what I'm finding on the internet is that so many people gained weight. I don't think I could cope... what should I do?

Hello,
I just started cymbalta after the effexor I've been on for a few years stopped working. It is too soon for me to tell if I've gained weight but I do notice that I am CRAVING carbs and sugar...I have been wanting to wolf down pastries and bread...things I have not had any interest in eating for a long time. The effexor decreased my appetite so I hope I can remain weight neutral. Two tools I'm using are a food log so that I can remain accountable to myself and exercise to ward off the urge to nap. I could sleep all day if I let myself but the weather has been nice so I walk more or just do some jumping jacks to get going.

Hope this helps.

Sheila.

#26 Thimble

Thimble

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

Chickpea - I was just wondering how it was going a month in.....

#27 1000milejourney

1000milejourney

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

Hmmm
I've been on Cymbalta about 3-4 weeks. No changes to my diet or amount of exercise (or lack of) have been made, but I have noticed some weight gain. That sucks, cause just today someone commented that they could see dramatic change in me recently... That I seemed more calm, overall just brighter and happier. I'm on 90mg. It does seem to be helping, I've managed to jump in and get some cleaning done (that I never would have done before). Really don't want to change meds AGAIN. I plan to start a log to track weight gain before I decide to switch again, though. I have such LOW self-esteem that extra weight on my already heavy body would be devastating to me and my progress towards even a smidgen of happiness.
The Journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. ~ Lao-tzu (Thank you, MofP!!)

One of the worst decisions I ever made led to the best thing that ever happened to me. ~ 1000MJ

What you think about me is none of my business. ~ author unknown

Depression is like a prison where you are both the suffering prisoner and the cruel jailer. ~ Dorothy Rowe

Why do you stay in prison when the door is wide open? ~ Jalal ad-Din Rumi

I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know. ~ Ernest Hemingway

#28 Katakee

Katakee

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

I lost way too much weight on Cymbalta.

#29 Blam

Blam

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

Hi to all the poor souls that not only gained a ridiculous amount of weight on this evil drug as i did but had to put up with other debilitating side effects. I'm glad it seems to help some people but from what I have researched it seems to do a hell of alot more damage. Please let people you know who are thinking about going on this drug to research it themselves and draw their own conclusion. I wish somebody had told me. Apart from the 50 Pounds I gained in two years i was on this drug it was the loss of living in the land of the living missing enjoying my children robbing my extremely patient husband of the woman he married and subjecting my family to a person they no longer recognized.I seem to have gone on a rant and I was only going to reply saying it put weight on me which is an absolute nightmare to shift Please forgive me. Best wishes to all

#30 1000milejourney

1000milejourney

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

Hmmm
I've been on Cymbalta about 3-4 weeks. No changes to my diet or amount of exercise (or lack of) have been made, but I have noticed some weight gain. That sucks, cause just today someone commented that they could see dramatic change in me recently... That I seemed more calm, overall just brighter and happier. I'm on 90mg. It does seem to be helping, I've managed to jump in and get some cleaning done (that I never would have done before). Really don't want to change meds AGAIN. I plan to start a log to track weight gain before I decide to switch again, though. I have such LOW self-esteem that extra weight on my already heavy body would be devastating to me and my progress towards even a smidgen of happiness.

I wanted to chime back in here with an update to how I am doing on Cymbalta... Ihave been on it another 2 1/2 weeks (about six weeks total) not noticing much of an improvement in my depression. I am on 90mg still, wanting to go to 120mg. But I have gained about 10 pounds on it. I am also on methadone which causes intense sugar cravings and weight gain. However, I have been on methadone since February and even with the sugar cravings was able to maintain my weight. Now, on the Cymbalta I am gaining even though if anything I have decreased my carb intake. I have started a food log, and a walking routine (only for a couple days now, I'll let u know if I stick with it and if it helps.) Today I got some bad news, though... My blood pressure has started being high (132/102 when I normally would run a perfect 120/80), a side effect of Cymbalta according to this doctor (it wasn't my psychiatrist who found the high blood pressure). She said it can even cause a "hypertensive crisis" and that has me worried. She even recommended I back off on the walking (I was walking very fast), until I can get it back down. I hope taking a few days off doesn't cause me to lose my motivation. I dont want to quit getting exercise, but I am seriously thinking about switching AD's!!! Definitely not sure I should try 120mg with this new problem, but feel like 90mg isn't helping as much as it should be.
The Journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. ~ Lao-tzu (Thank you, MofP!!)

One of the worst decisions I ever made led to the best thing that ever happened to me. ~ 1000MJ

Depression is like a prison where you are both the suffering prisoner and the cruel jailer. ~ Dorothy Rowe

I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know. ~ Ernest Hemingway

#31 lukn4hope

lukn4hope

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

When I was on Cymbalta, I was able to diet and actually lost 50 lbs.
  • englishrose likes this
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. The information provided by me is intended purely for entertainment purposes.

#32 1000milejourney

1000milejourney

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hmmm

I wanted to chime back in here with an update to how I am doing on Cymbalta... Ihave been on it another 2 1/2 weeks (about six weeks total) not noticing much of an improvement in my depression. I am on 90mg still, wanting to go to 120mg. But I have gained about 10 pounds on it. I am also on methadone which causes intense sugar cravings and weight gain. However, I have been on methadone since February and even with the sugar cravings was able to maintain my weight. Now, on the Cymbalta I am gaining even though if anything I have decreased my carb intake. I have started a food log, and a walking routine (only for a couple days now, I'll let u know if I stick with it and if it helps.) Today I got some bad news, though... My blood pressure has started being high (132/102 when I normally would run a perfect 120/80), a side effect of Cymbalta according to this doctor (it wasn't my psychiatrist who found the high blood pressure).
She said it can even cause a "hypertensive crisis" and that has me worried. She even recommended I back off on the walking (I was walking very fast), until I can get it back down. I hope taking a few days off doesn't cause me to lose my motivation. I dont want to quit getting exercise, but I am seriously thinking about switching AD's!!! Definitely not sure I should try 120mg with this new problem, but feel like 90mg isn't helping as much as it should be.

Well I've been checking my blood pressure and it's been fine every time! I don't think that woman knew how to take a BP!!?? I will continue to monitor it. But the weight gain is getting worse. For the past 14 days I've been checking my weight, I've gained 7 POUNDS!!!! that's like 1/2 pound a day!!! It's making me feel so much worse. I already hate myself and my appearance. Why can't I LOSE my appetite like most depressed people? Instead I shove all I can get in my mouth! I alwAys have, all my life if I feel stressed or depressed I've always turned to food. Especially now that I have quit drugs. Food is my new feel good drug. But I don't feel good now. When I was on opiates, I lost so much weight. Some from nausea, but mostly from having a one track mind (drugs, drugs, drugs), and not willing to spend a penny on anything else. Now it's just food. I hate it. I hate being so overweight. But I can't resist it, don't know what to do.
Like I said before... I've always eaten like this but managed tO stay about same weight til I started Cymbalta. Now being on two drugs that can cause sugar cravings (methadone and I think Cymbalta too) I'm just out of control. I will continue to walk, but I have got to learn how to control my cravings.

#33 1000milejourney

1000milejourney

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

Go back to doctor Monday and I'm gonna see if he will raise my dose of Cymbalta to 120mg. Does anybody know if that is the highest dose they can prescribe? My walking seemed to help, lost a few pounds in a week and a half. Haven't walked last 3 days and feel like a total loser now. Gonna try to make myself go today. That's why I hate starting to exercise, tho. Walked like 7 days, lost four pounds. Stopped walking x3 days- gained most of it back. Maybe there will come a day when I don't feel this way, but right now I feel like I'm gonna have to exercise like a mad woman every day of my life to keep on top of my weight problem. Feels like such a daunting task, but just like every thing else in life, whats the alternative? Ughh. Just so low today- every day- and very very overwhelmed.

#34 1000milejourney

1000milejourney

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:17 AM

Go back to doctor Monday and I'm gonna see if he will raise my dose of Cymbalta to 120mg. Does anybody know if that is the highest dose they can prescribe? My walking seemed to help, lost a few pounds in a week and a half. Haven't walked last 3 days and feel like a total loser now. Gonna try to make myself go today. That's why I hate starting to exercise, tho. Walked like 7 days, lost four pounds. Stopped walking x3 days- gained most of it back. Maybe there will come a day when I don't feel this way, but right now I feel like I'm gonna have to exercise like a mad woman every day of my life to keep on top of my weight problem. Feels like such a daunting task, but just like every thing else in life, whats the alternative? Ughh. Just so low today- every day- and very very overwhelmed.

Still walking, gaining weight. On 120mg of Cymbalta for a month or two now and I still don't feel like its working at all. Also, I am soooooo sleepy on it. Like, fell asleep driving and hit another car sleepy. I take anywhere from 300-600 mg of caffeine pills every day to try to combat the sedation, which helps a little but not enough to function. I told my doctor about it but he didn't change anything. I am so frustrated and sick of switching meds.

#35 TigerLily6

TigerLily6

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

I have been on Cymbalta for a month now and have a lack of appetite, especially right after I take the meds. When I am hungry, I want sweets and pretty much only sweets. I usually eat pretty healthy, so I probably haven't seen any weight gain/loss because instead of eating a lot of healthy food, my body wants a smaller amount of higher fat food. I'm only a month in, though, so we'll see how this goes.

#36 cici19

cici19

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

Posted Image I have been on cymbalta for a year. This is the only medication that really works for me, and i don't want to change it. But, I have gain 35 lbs and i'm going crazy. I read that some people had diet and lose the weight. Anyone has any idea on how to lose the weight and continue taking cymbalta.

#37 cici19

cici19

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

Posted Image Which type of diet?

#38 robin2az

robin2az

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

When I first went on Cymbalta I dropped 10 pounds in a week. I'm 5'9" and was 123 pounds and went to 113 at the end of that first week. My family said I looked gaunt and way too skinny. That was about 5 years ago. I went off it when I was pregnant with my first baby (gained maybe an extra 20 pounds during that pregancy), but went on it afterwards and lost all the weight and got back down to 125 in about 3 months or so. Just had my second baby and as soon as the baby was born I went back on it. I lost a bunch of weight right away and am still losing. It gives me ZERO appetite. I have to force myself to eat most of the time. I'm back at work now (had the baby 2 months ago) and feel very tired all the time. I am also Hypothyroid so it's always hard to tell if I feel tired from the Cymbalta, because my Thyroid is off, or because I'm up with a baby in the night (though it's really only about once time a night). I'm on Cymbalta for anxiety/mild OCD. And it makes me feel a little jittery and helps a little with the OCD. I was on Wellbutrin before the Cymbalta and am thinking about going back on that. There was a steady weight loss with Wellbutrin as well.

#39 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

When I first went on Cymbalta I dropped 10 pounds in a week. I'm 5'9" and was 123 pounds and went to 113 at the end of that first week. My family said I looked gaunt and way too skinny. That was about 5 years ago. I went off it when I was pregnant with my first baby (gained maybe an extra 20 pounds during that pregancy), but went on it afterwards and lost all the weight and got back down to 125 in about 3 months or so. Just had my second baby and as soon as the baby was born I went back on it. I lost a bunch of weight right away and am still losing. It gives me ZERO appetite. I have to force myself to eat most of the time. I'm back at work now (had the baby 2 months ago) and feel very tired all the time. I am also Hypothyroid so it's always hard to tell if I feel tired from the Cymbalta, because my Thyroid is off, or because I'm up with a baby in the night (though it's really only about once time a night). I'm on Cymbalta for anxiety/mild OCD. And it makes me feel a little jittery and helps a little with the OCD. I was on Wellbutrin before the Cymbalta and am thinking about going back on that. There was a steady weight loss with Wellbutrin as well.

Hi Robin,

One of my initial side effects with Cymbalta was a decrease in appetite to the point of losing weight, but after I got through the start up stage, my appetite returned (and thus the weight). I would most definitely inform your MD if you are continuing to lose weight, although you have a great deal going on and also have a thyroid condition, so all of these could be factors.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise
Posted ImagePosted Image

#40 crazyguy

crazyguy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

I have been on cymbalta for almost 2 years and I have lost about 25 lbs. I don't believe the weight loss was from cymbalta but more from joining a gym, working out more and taking up yoga. The reason I had 25 lbs to shed was mainly due to taking fluvoxamine for 2 years. During those 2 years on fluvoxamine I definitely put on some fat and that was the main reason for discontinuing fluvoxamine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users