Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Wellbutrin - Romantic / Sexual Feelings

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bradoonee

Bradoonee

ID: 50850

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

Hi, I just wondered if any of you guys who are taking Wellbutrin have felt it helped with lack of romantic / bonding feelings and your sexual desire.

I'm currently taking St John's Wort (makes you climax more easily vs other SSRIs) but looking at alternatives such as Wellbutrin and Oxcytocin because I just want to have the feelings and yearnings I have for women back and I need something to kick start that process.

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers.

#2 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

ID: 51914

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

Bradonee:

Wellbutrin is tested and known as having very few and typically no sexual side effects.

Tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#3 Bradoonee

Bradoonee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

Bradonee:

Wellbutrin is tested and known as having very few and typically no sexual side effects.

Tim

Mm but does it enhance your libido that's my question. For instance I can climax more easily now I've switched to St John's Wort from Sertraline but I wouldn't really say my libido has improved. I don't think I fundamentally get more horny than before. Okay I'd say its nicer being able to climax more easily but its just my concentration is all over the place where as before it was just simple I'm in the mood and I do what I need to do.

At the moment, my mind doesn't know whether its coming or going and the genuine horny feelings I use to get when I saw a hot girl just aren't there in the same way as before. Of course I don't just want to have sex with a girl with all this bs running through my mind ruining the experience for her and for me.

What I really want to establish if Wellbutrin will enhance my libido and hopefully create more feelings of lust and excitment for women both sexually and romantically.

Can elaborate a bit more because I'd like to know.

Cheers.

#4 Bradoonee

Bradoonee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:55 PM

Anyone?

#5 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

ID: 51914

• Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

Bradoonee:

It is just so hard to tell because there are so many variables. Wellbutrin might have a positive effect on libido and feelings not just functioning. A physician is going to know best.

Exercise is often very helpful in terms of how one feels about one's self in terms of overall health as well as sexuality.

Tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#6 imrj

imrj

ID: 21371

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

proper and stable levels of sex hormones are key to libido, not an antidepressant....have blood work done and check your hormone levels (male = testosterone, female = estrogen)

#7 Bradoonee

Bradoonee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

proper and stable levels of sex hormones are key to libido, not an antidepressant....have blood work done and check your hormone levels (male = testosterone, female = estrogen)

Had those checked and I'm all good.

I personally think normal sex drive with normal feelings unhindered can only be achieved with good dopamine levels running through the brain plus no uncertain or conflicting thoughts going through ones mind at the same time.

I still have no fn idea how I'm in this place I'm at. Its literally beyond my understanding or anyone else it would seem. Yeah, I've got sex drive but its confused because my emotional feelings for women are tempered. I simple don't want to f a girl without much feeling but I may have to just to try and get back into some sort of groove.

Anyways I'll just have to plough on. Its frustrating as hell because recently I've been seriously on my game and this bs in the back of my mind has essentially been screwing it right up. E.g. my friend and I happen to go out for dinner with 2 gorgeous women after chatting to them for the first time the other day and yet it was all screwed up because I felt little or nothing during the actual 'date'. Seriously f this bs. Its a joke I want my life back!!!

Anyways I know frustration gets me nowhere but I'm sick of the fact that psychiatrists can do jack all. I mean seriously why am I paying my tax for this kinda bs inexusible useless service that NHS hardly even provide.

Again sorry guys I'm just seriously annoyed.

Edited by Bradoonee, 29 October 2010 - 08:14 PM.

#8 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

ID: 53269

• Platinum Member
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

Bradoonee:

It is just so hard to tell because there are so many variables. Wellbutrin might have a positive effect on libido and feelings not just functioning. A physician is going to know best.

Exercise is often very helpful in terms of how one feels about one's self in terms of overall health as well as sexuality.

Tim

Bradoonee,

I agree with Tim. I've been on wellbutrin and I like it because it doesn't have sexual side effects. I think that other factors also play a role like Tim said. For me it would be exercise, self-esteem, body image, desire, and so on. Hope it gets better for you.

Edited by lindahurt, 29 October 2010 - 09:24 PM.

Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#9 Bradoonee

Bradoonee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

Bradoonee:

Tim

Bradoonee,

I agree with Tim. I've been on wellbutrin and I like it because it doesn't have sexual side effects. I think that other factors also play a role like Tim said. For me it would be exercise, self-esteem, body image, desire, and so on. Hope it gets better for you.

Hi Linda,

Yeah, I'm going to try it.

I was getting kinda better but have had hearing problems recently and that's unfortunately interfered with my music making enjoyment which has thrown me a bit. I just need something to kick start my enjoyment of stuff like that again.

Anyways thanks for your supportive words.

I'm planning on trying it soon or either 5htp/Tyrosine.

#10 amdew717

amdew717

ID: 56471

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

Hi Linda,

Yeah, I'm going to try it.

I was getting kinda better but have had hearing problems recently and that's unfortunately interfered with my music making enjoyment which has thrown me a bit. I just need something to kick start my enjoyment of stuff like that again.

Anyways thanks for your supportive words.

I'm planning on trying it soon or either 5htp/Tyrosine.
[/quote]

Bradoonee:
I'm VERY INTERESTED in what happened with the WB. I TOTALLY RELATE to where you're coming from. I took WB immediate release back in 1995 and the one thing I did experience was increased sex drive. So I'm trying it again for that very reason but I can't remember how long it took for that (unexpected) effect to happen. I'm on WB XL 300mg for 3 weeks now and I have LESS sex drive than before I began, so I'm hoping for a miracle in the coming weeks. If nothing's happening after 6 weeks, I think I will bag this experiement.

Please post an update on what's happened in the last 2 months.
Thanks, James

#11 SilverMoon

SilverMoon

ID: 47677

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

Yes Wellbutrin improved my libido. I think it was secondary to the improvement in energy and self confidence. Also Wellbutrin makes me want to eat healthier and exercise which are both key in improving libido. Eating a good amount of fruits and vegetables is considered to boost sex drive.

#12 amdew717

amdew717

ID: 56471

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

Silvermoon,
can you tell me about how soon from when you began WB that your libido improved?
also, which form WB were you taking? Immediate release, XR, XL?

So far, I have no increase of libido, movtivation or energy.
Thanks, James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users