Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Any of you ever feel depressed and happy at same time??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 marmitejar

marmitejar

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 04:10 PM

I'll just mention first that I've not been diagnosed as Bipolar. I often feel quite happy but also depressed underneath. Does anyone else feel like this?

I'm having CBT counselling for self-esteem but I've never asked whether I could be Bipolar but I suspect I am. I do get times where I am impulsive - feel v high and want to do everything I can think off and arrange loads of things to do but then cannot carry them out because I am suddenly depressed again!!! When I'm high I think I can sdo anything I put my mind to and often arrange things I cannot possibly do. I posted something about asking my counsillor about Bipolar but I chickened out when I was face to face with her. I really like my CPN but am still a bit wary about mentioning Bipolar in case she thinks I'm just reading too much into my moods. Can you have mood swings and not be bipolar??? xxxxxxx
"When life sank down for a moment, the range of experience seemed limitless...Her horizen seemed to her limitless..." Virginia Woolf

#2 Neatoboy

Neatoboy

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:22 AM

Hi marmitejar

I'm not bipolar but suffer from depression. I have often felt happy but also depressed underneath like you expressed. Unfortunately I can't shed any light on the subject but thought I'd let you know that you're not alone!

Neatoboy
:hearts:
If you feel like letting go, (hold on)
When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on
- REM

Homer: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." Posted Image

#3 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:52 AM

Hiya marmitejar,

Yes, you can have mood swings and not be bipolar. It's called Life from my experiences. =) I would ask the therapist to be 100 percent positive that you either are or aren't bipolar though, we're not docs here. You'd be ******* two birds with one stone though if you were to ask. You'd rid yourself of the worry if you're not or be diagnosed as bipolar and be able to take it from there. It's better to get treatment asap in life than later on if you are bp.

Edited by Epic, 07 May 2006 - 10:53 AM.

So understand
Dont waste your time always
Searching for those wasted years
Face up... make your stand
And realise youre living in the golden years.

#4 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,850 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:11 AM

I would definitely ask my therapist for a diagnosis. You may be in CBT (BTW an excellent therapy) but it works for all types of mental illnesses. I think having a direct dianosis helps in many ways. It at least allows us the ability to seek information about what we have. You can have the mood swings you describe and not be fully bipolar. Is there anyone else in your family with bipolar disorder? It sometimes runs in families that is why I ask..
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#5 wolfram

wolfram

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:10 PM

Yes you can be happy and depressed at the same time. I have experienced it and have come up with a different therory on depression. Most people view depression as a line, Depressione on one side, Happy on the other. Like neg and pos numbers

Depression (-)---------------------0-------------(+) Happy

I view it like a bar graph. On bar is the depression stessors combined (i have not been able to sepparate them out reasonabley) And the other bar is the Happy stuff combined (for the same reasones as depression) The Difference or gap between the two is depression. For me, depression seems to be like an excited state versus a negative state. It feels like something is there, and when I am less depressed, it seems like someting is "missing". I think there is a set number for the difference between the two columns that "triggers" depression. However if the happy stuff is greater than the difference between the two you can be happy and depressed at the same time. I am working on a model for bi-polar that is simular but has 3 bars, Depression, Happy("normal"), and manic but there are somethings I need to work out.

0...................................-
0...................................|
0...................................| - Depression
0...................................|
0...................................-
Deppresion...................Happy
Stressors......................Stuff

Anyway, maybe this helps maybe it does not.

#6 Neatoboy

Neatoboy

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:45 PM

I have the same opinion as you wolfram that happy and depressed are not opposites and therefore you can feel them at the same time.

Neatoboy
:hearts:
If you feel like letting go, (hold on)
When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on
- REM

Homer: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." Posted Image

#7 cakemix

cakemix

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:30 PM

I'll just mention first that I've not been diagnosed as Bipolar. I often feel quite happy but also depressed underneath. Does anyone else feel like this?

Yes.
I've never been diagnosed as being Bipolar either.

#8 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,850 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:48 AM

marmitejar,
How are you doing? Just checking in with you as haven't seen you back for a few day.
Sheepwoman :baaa;
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users