Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Alternative Medication To Venlafaxine?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 popsicle7

popsicle7

ID: 51802

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

I have decided that the increased dose of venlafaxine (150mg - 225mg) is not working. I have a psychiatrists appointment on 25th and think he may suggest an alternative medication. I am anxious about this. I had a bad reaction to Citalopram and Fluxotene did not work very well. I also didn't respond well to Dusolepin. Anybody else changed successfully from venlafaxine and what did you change to.

Thanks Popsicle.

#2 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

ID: 35694

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

Hi popsicle7,

Well you are currently tasking an SNRI (venlafaxine) which is a more powerful AD than the SSRI you had before.

Im my experience most people who don't get on with venlafaxine tend to be given another SNRI like Cymbalta (duloxetine) as it know to to be a much milder SNRI medication.

See what your Doctors says, as there are many newer medication on the market. As you know it is a case of trial and error with a lot of ADs before you get the effective one.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 popsicle7

popsicle7

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

Hi Jim Bow

Thanks for your quick response. Just wondered what you meant when you said Cymbalta was much milder medication.Does that mean it doesn't work as much? Just feeling a bit anxious about everything.

Thanks again.

Popsicke 7

Hi popsicle7,

Well you are currently tasking an SNRI (venlafaxine) which is a more powerful AD than the SSRI you had before.

Im my experience most people who don't get on with venlafaxine tend to be given another SNRI like Cymbalta (duloxetine) as it know to to be a much milder SNRI medication.

See what your Doctors says, as there are many newer medication on the market. As you know it is a case of trial and error with a lot of ADs before you get the effective one.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

#4 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

ID: 35694

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

Hi popsicle7,

Sorry I meant it is kinder to the system, not as harsh as other SNRI.

It is as effective as any other AD medication.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#5 popsicle7

popsicle7

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:45 AM

Thanks, Jim Bow that is reassuring. I will wait to see what happens on the 25th.

Popsicle 7

#6 nickyc

nickyc

ID: 42318

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

How long have you been on 225mg? I get the feeling that you're not giving them enough time.

#7 popsicle7

popsicle7

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

Hi Nickyc

Thanks for your input , I've been on the higher dose for nearly 6 weeks now and am getting worse rather than better. I do think they aren't working as I've been crying and that is not normal for me on this medication.

popsicle7

How long have you been on 225mg? I get the feeling that you're not giving them enough time.

#8 Achelois

Achelois

ID: 50989

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:22 PM

I have decided that the increased dose of venlafaxine (150mg - 225mg) is not working. I have a psychiatrists appointment on 25th and think he may suggest an alternative medication. I am anxious about this. I had a bad reaction to Citalopram and Fluxotene did not work very well. I also didn't respond well to Dusolepin. Anybody else changed successfully from venlafaxine and what did you change to.

Thanks Popsicle.

I switched to Mianserin lately, from he same reason, Effexor stopped working.
Now Mianserin starts working and it solves my insomnia problem...will give it a chance.

There are many meds out there, you will find the right one for you!

#9 nickyc

nickyc

ID: 42318

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

Hi Nickyc

Thanks for your input , I've been on the higher dose for nearly 6 weeks now and am getting worse rather than better. I do think they aren't working as I've been crying and that is not normal for me on this medication.

popsicle7

I'd recommend peaking to your GP within the next few days to talk about how you've been feeling and then discuss what you can do :-)

I was originally prescribed Fluoxitine which definitely didn't work and later switched to Citalopram. Citalopram did help, but it took a few months to just start working. My depressive symptoms improved the longer I was on the medication. I switched to Velafaxine last year as I was convinced that Citalopram wasn't doing it's job (as I was very sleepy). I'm feeling much better with Velafaxine but it's hard to stay what's contributed to that (e.g. diet, my thoughts, environment etc).

What bad reactions have you had? The process of trying something else can be tough and GPs don't like recommending it (from the conversations I've had) unless it's necessary. Switching from Citalopram to Velafaxine was extremely difficult for me but it was worth it considering the fact I now have fewer side effects.

I'm actually seeing my GP tomorrow regarding my medication and the next steps.

#10 popsicle7

popsicle7

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

When I tried Citalopram I had a panic attack so didn't take anymore. I was then prescribed fluxotene 20mg which was upped to 40mg after a few weeks. This did help a bit but I did still have some really bad times where I would feel like someone had died. I tried to come off them but started to feel much worse. When I went back to the original dose they never seemed to work again. My GP switched me to Venlafaxine with was no problem they worked really quickly and I felt fine on them for nearly 18 months. I still had ups and downs but my downs were not the extremes I had experienced in the past and I felt I was 'normal'.

I'm going to see a psychiatrist which my GP recommended as I was very anxious about switching meds again. She gave me the choice of switching to Cymbalta or upping the dose of Venlfaxine. I chose the increased dose. I will wait and see what the psychiatrist says.

Hope you had some positive feedback from your GP.

Thanks

Hi Nickyc

popsicle7

I'd recommend peaking to your GP within the next few days to talk about how you've been feeling and then discuss what you can do :-)

I was originally prescribed Fluoxitine which definitely didn't work and later switched to Citalopram. Citalopram did help, but it took a few months to just start working. My depressive symptoms improved the longer I was on the medication. I switched to Velafaxine last year as I was convinced that Citalopram wasn't doing it's job (as I was very sleepy). I'm feeling much better with Velafaxine but it's hard to stay what's contributed to that (e.g. diet, my thoughts, environment etc).

What bad reactions have you had? The process of trying something else can be tough and GPs don't like recommending it (from the conversations I've had) unless it's necessary. Switching from Citalopram to Velafaxine was extremely difficult for me but it was worth it considering the fact I now have fewer side effects.

I'm actually seeing my GP tomorrow regarding my medication and the next steps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users