Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Smoking And Effexor/pristiq

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 urkel123

urkel123

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:22 AM

hi everyone,
im jaclyn and thought you guys may be interested in this.
ive changed meds alot this last year and definately noticing changes in my smoking depending on what im on.
for example effexor makes me smoke alot more than i normally would. one week exactly after being on pristiq i quit smoking without trying at all.
just didnt want to anymore.
it was great!
then i hit a down turn in winter and was put back on effexor.
boom 7 days later smoking again....
now im back on pristiq, day 7 and only had 1 cigarette today (my usual is 10ish)
anyone else experience smoking cessation on pristiq?
or the greater cravings on effexor?

#2 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

hi everyone,
im jaclyn and thought you guys may be interested in this.
ive changed meds alot this last year and definately noticing changes in my smoking depending on what im on.
for example effexor makes me smoke alot more than i normally would. one week exactly after being on pristiq i quit smoking without trying at all.
just didnt want to anymore.
it was great!
then i hit a down turn in winter and was put back on effexor.
boom 7 days later smoking again....
now im back on pristiq, day 7 and only had 1 cigarette today (my usual is 10ish)
anyone else experience smoking cessation on pristiq?
or the greater cravings on effexor?

Hello, welcome to DF and its a very valid question you are asking. I do know the answer is *yes* in that different AD can cut cravings for smoking and some can stimulate cravings for smoking, however, each person is different with different metabolisms and adapt to AD's in a different way. So what may cut your smoking desires for you, may stimulate smoking desires in others. Sorry but there is no cut and dried answer for this. I have heard that Wellbutrin is well known for cutting smoking desires and actually prescribed to help cut smoking in the past but I am not aware of much more than that. I never could adapt to Wellbutrin myself so have no personal experience with it...
Others will come on with perhaps better knowledge and advice than I but I do know that *yes* different AD's can effect your desires to smoke more or less...
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 urkel123

urkel123

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

thanks for the reply betterOff,
i have no issues with it really. if i smoke i smoke.
id rather not, part of the reason ive returned to pristiq.
i just hoped this post may be interesting or comforting to someone to know that it can affect things that arent on the docs side effects sheets!
i gain weight and smoke lots on effexor and lose weight and dont smoke on pristiq and they are supposed to essentially be the same drug!
crazy meds

#4 Jeanya61

Jeanya61

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

I'm on Pristiq and I've actually noticed I am smoking more! Bummer, I had quit and with this last mixed episode I started back up. I will quit one day soon.

#5 ladyengineer

ladyengineer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:05 AM

I found an article that indicated that smoking did not affect the absorption of Effexor but does affect Cymbalta. The link is posted below and was a very interesting article:

<<Please PM Mmber for Link>>

Edited by Hircon, 10 October 2010 - 12:29 AM.
link removed - TOS

Ladyengineer

#6 ladyengineer

ladyengineer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:41 PM

I have been practically chain smoking since being on Effexor. I'm moving to Cymbalta, so maybe that would help me with the smoking too! That would actually be a nice side-effect!

Ladyengineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users