Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Wellbutrin And Short Term Memory Loss...so Scary

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Layna

Layna

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:23 AM

I'm on day 7 of Bupropion 150SR. I was driving today and suddenly forgot where I was. It was like I blanked out on the previous 10 minutes of my driving. I couldn't remember which way I had turned and nothing, nothing looked familiar for a minute or 2. This was a very familiar drive as well. I do it 2 times a day, 3 days a week. I started to panic and thought about pulling over because I was so disoriented. Then, I decided to keep driving and see if I started to remember things, I still felt panicky. So, I saw a familiar road sign and remembered where I was going, then wondered how I got there. I could remember NOTHING about the previous 10 minutes of driving, turns and everything. It's like I was asleep or something.

It makes me a little nervous to drive, because these are back country roads and it would be very easy to have a head on collision or run off the road into a tree. Is this a common side effect and will it go away?

#2 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

Hi Layna,

This disorientation can happen on meds and often just driving normally when you are running on auto pilot, and from research you are acutally driving more safely!

Do have a chat with your Doctor if you really are getting disorientated more than once , and don't really remember things you have to remember, like driving.

Keep you driving to a minimum, if you can, just to be sure it is the medication that is the cause. Do see you Doctor though.

I must admit that on long journeys I often run on auto pilot and realise that I have covered a long distance without remember passing all those junctions! Perhaps I was daydreaming.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

I'm on day 7 of Bupropion 150SR. I was driving today and suddenly forgot where I was. It was like I blanked out on the previous 10 minutes of my driving. I couldn't remember which way I had turned and nothing, nothing looked familiar for a minute or 2. This was a very familiar drive as well. I do it 2 times a day, 3 days a week. I started to panic and thought about pulling over because I was so disoriented. Then, I decided to keep driving and see if I started to remember things, I still felt panicky. So, I saw a familiar road sign and remembered where I was going, then wondered how I got there. I could remember NOTHING about the previous 10 minutes of driving, turns and everything. It's like I was asleep or something.

It makes me a little nervous to drive, because these are back country roads and it would be very easy to have a head on collision or run off the road into a tree. Is this a common side effect and will it go away?

Hello, just wanted to say hi and offer a little advice. I have been through 3 AD's in my lifetime. Confusion is often a side-effect as well as short-term memory loss when starting an AD, especially in the first two weeks. Its normal as your brain chemistry is being altered. Other side effects can pop up too like lack of sleep or too much sleep etc... If you check back through some posts here on the wellbutrin forum, and keep go back further and further, you will finally find a post that addresses this problem and fits your questiont to a *t* and then its good to read the comments and advice there. To allay your fears, the first two weeks can be hard on alot of people, but week three starts to show an improvement and gradually as you progress your short term memory will improve and confusion will go away. Its a gradual process but can take a usual 6 to 8 weeks to fully adapt. (some people adapt faster others take a little longer, each person has a different metabolism and thus reacts to an AD differently). During this adaptation time, if you have to get out and drive, do make an effort to drive extra carefully and try and focus as hard as you can. I sometimes even make a map of where I am going so if a situation arises just like yours, I have notes to refer to and this calms me down that I have directions pre-written out and at hand to help me out. I try and keep my driving to a minimum during the first two weeks just for the reason you mentioned. Play it safe!
Hope this allays your fears, it is common but does go away... Feel free to PM me if you have other questions about side-effects or continue using this thread to post your questions. Other people will come on with advice and comments and suggestions perhaps better than mine.
Good Luck...
p.s. sometimes during the first two weeks, it might even be best if you have someone take you where you want to go, this will relieve the stress and panic that could occur if you are on your own. I do this also.... the above suggestion was in case you have to go it alone during this adjustment period...
Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#4 mom2pg

mom2pg

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

It could just be adjusting to the Bupropion, but it does sound somewhat like an absence seizure which can leave you very confused. I would definitely talk with your dr.

#5 Layna

Layna

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:49 PM

It was different from being disoriented. Although everything did look a little odd. It's like a section of my memory was gone or I had done it asleep. It was a blank out. A little different from just daydreaming on a mundane drive that you do all the time. I thought maybe I had missed a turn. I just couldn't remember how I got there. I remember getting in the car and the first couple of minutes of the drive, but then I couldn't remember which way I had come.

I have to drive alone. Well, not alone, but with my children, which is even worse. It is very difficult to focus on the road right now. I hate feeling like this when I drive. It feels like I'm driving while drinking, which I unfortunately did a couple of times in college. But, the blank out and then memory loss was weird and then I felt so panicky.

#6 mom2pg

mom2pg

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

It was different from being disoriented. Although everything did look a little odd. It's like a section of my memory was gone or I had done it asleep. It was a blank out. A little different from just daydreaming on a mundane drive that you do all the time. I thought maybe I had missed a turn. I just couldn't remember how I got there. I remember getting in the car and the first couple of minutes of the drive, but then I couldn't remember which way I had come.

I have to drive alone. Well, not alone, but with my children, which is even worse. It is very difficult to focus on the road right now. I hate feeling like this when I drive. It feels like I'm driving while drinking, which I unfortunately did a couple of times in college. But, the blank out and then memory loss was weird and then I felt so panicky.

That sounds so very much like a absence seizure. They are mild seizures where they only last for seconds and you usually will have just a blank stare, and then come back around and feel confused and disoriented. Wellubtrin is known to cause seizures in some patients. I would highly recommend you see your dr. and ask him about this.

#7 JustDawleyGirl

JustDawleyGirl

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

That sounds so very much like a absence seizure. They are mild seizures where they only last for seconds and you usually will have just a blank stare, and then come back around and feel confused and disoriented. Wellubtrin is known to cause seizures in some patients. I would highly recommend you see your dr. and ask him about this.

"Absence seizure"? I haven't heard of that... I, too, am experiencing short-term memory loss (Day 19 of an increase of WB XL from 150mgs to 300mgs), but mine is manifesting differently. I don't seem to experience any short-term memory loss "in the moment" (e.g. while driving), but after-the-fact, like hours later or a couple days later. For example, last night I restlessly fell asleep trying to recall what I did on Friday and I couldn't for the life of me remember, except that I went to work. I finally got up and started rummaging through my purse for receipts or anything that would jog my memory, and going through my BlackBerry to see if I could recall what I did and where I went. This really scared me--I am a single mom of a 6-year-old so I am on my own. I finally remembered this morning when I went to get something to wear to work and saw the jeans I wore on Friday, which caused me to remember that I volunteered in my son's class that morning, went to work, and we went to Macaroni Grill for dinner after school.

I experienced this mildly off and on while on the 150mg XL, but nothing to that extent or startling. While I admit my side effects (dry mouth, tense neck/jaw, hand tremors, agitation, and isomnia) have gotten better or decreased since the increase of my dosage of WB as well as an improvement in my depression and mood, this memory thing has become more of an issue and my anxiety is higher. (I take 2 mg of Xanax during a panic attack or intense feeling of anxiety, but this is usually every other day or so, and only once per day--I've read up on the Xanax withdrawals or stopping it and don't want to risk any kind of seizure, though I've never been prone to them in my life yet, so far).

Has anyone else experienced this? Could this be attributed to the dosage increase and my body adjusting to it? There isn't a history of Alzheimer's or other degernative memory issues in my family history and that's the last thing I want to think...but now I'm questioning everything. I'm 38, by the way, in case anyone wonders if my age could be a factor. Any similar experiences or advice is appreciated.

Thanks, JustDawleyGirl
Right now I can't care about how everyone else will feel
I have enough hurt of my own to heal

I will learn to let go what I cannot change
I will learn to forgive what I cannot change
I will learn to love what I cannot change
But I will change, I will change
Whatever I, whenever I can

~LeAnn Rimes "What I Cannot Change"

#8 Chicagoman65

Chicagoman65

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hello, just wanted to say hi and offer a little advice. I have been through 3 AD's in my lifetime. Confusion is often a side-effect as well as short-term memory loss when starting an AD, especially in the first two weeks. Its normal as your brain chemistry is being altered. Other side effects can pop up too like lack of sleep or too much sleep etc... If you check back through some posts here on the wellbutrin forum, and keep go back further and further, you will finally find a post that addresses this problem and fits your questiont to a *t* and then its good to read the comments and advice there. To allay your fears, the first two weeks can be hard on alot of people, but week three starts to show an improvement and gradually as you progress your short term memory will improve and confusion will go away. Its a gradual process but can take a usual 6 to 8 weeks to fully adapt. (some people adapt faster others take a little longer, each person has a different metabolism and thus reacts to an AD differently). During this adaptation time, if you have to get out and drive, do make an effort to drive extra carefully and try and focus as hard as you can. I sometimes even make a map of where I am going so if a situation arises just like yours, I have notes to refer to and this calms me down that I have directions pre-written out and at hand to help me out. I try and keep my driving to a minimum during the first two weeks just for the reason you mentioned. Play it safe!
Hope this allays your fears, it is common but does go away... Feel free to PM me if you have other questions about side-effects or continue using this thread to post your questions. Other people will come on with advice and comments and suggestions perhaps better than mine.
Good Luck...
p.s. sometimes during the first two weeks, it might even be best if you have someone take you where you want to go, this will relieve the stress and panic that could occur if you are on your own. I do this also.... the above suggestion was in case you have to go it alone during this adjustment period...

Hi, what if you are well past the "adjustment period?" I have been on WB 450/day for abouy 16 months now. Before that I was 300/day for about 3 months. I had no real issues starting off other than a little shakiness/twitchiness in the hands. I am also on Fluoxetine.

Anyway, over the last, oh, 6-8 months, I have been having real serious "brain farts" where I would completely forget to do something, or something someone said, or what I wanted/was looking for etc. More than just "where's my blackberry" but stuff like completely forgetting to call a client, or drafting an email and not sending it, thinking full well I had done so Also, have noticed some transpositioning---hearing or reading XYZ and then converting it to ABC. In my business precision is everything and if I deal with ABC instead of XYZ, well everything is completely wrong, I look like a fool and jeopardize my job.

Long and short of it is this: Since these episodes are occurring more frequently now, might it be the Wellbutrin? Can you develop a "side effect" almost 2 years into treatment? It worries me because it makes me terrified that i have done something wrong or not done something ALL THE TIME now! I was never like that before (sure I made mistakes, but not with this alarming regularity or of this magnitude!)

I am ok with all the underlying depression issues for now---do not feel in jeopardy there. I may roll back the WB to 300 for a while to see if it helps curing the brain farts.

Has anyone else been thru this? Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users