Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Prozac And Tremors

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Blue_Envy

Blue_Envy

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

Yea so today I was counting the coins in my piggy bank and watching a show when all of a sudden my hands started shaking. At first I thought I was trippin, but then I realized I wasn't. Everything I did today was just like any other day. The only exception is since I forgot to take my dose this morning, I took it in the afternoon. I am on 20mg of fluoxetine and this is my 7th week. I have never experienced shaky hands before. I quit drinking since I started taking Prozac, and I very rarely have caffeine. I don't drink coffee nor soda. I ride a motorcycle almost everywhere so I really need full function of my limbs. I can barely even type this message. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this. This is also the 1st drug I've taken for depression.

#2 BetterOff

BetterOff

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

Yea so today I was counting the coins in my piggy bank and watching a show when all of a sudden my hands started shaking. At first I thought I was trippin, but then I realized I wasn't. Everything I did today was just like any other day. The only exception is since I forgot to take my dose this morning, I took it in the afternoon. I am on 20mg of fluoxetine and this is my 7th week. I have never experienced shaky hands before. I quit drinking since I started taking Prozac, and I very rarely have caffeine. I don't drink coffee nor soda. I ride a motorcycle almost everywhere so I really need full function of my limbs. I can barely even type this message. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this. This is also the 1st drug I've taken for depression.

Hello, just wanted to say hi and welcome to DF, its a great place to be. First you may want to check out the prozac forum, you might have to scan back through alot of posts but eventually you will hit one that closely relates to your question and you can read the posts, and comments.
Having said that though, tremors can be a side effect of fluoxetine, but since you are into your 7th week and should have adapted to it fairly well, this could just be a one-time event. I have heard of a side-effect popping up longer than the 6 to 8 weeks but its rare, usually only occurs once and thats about it. I would suggest riding this out, if you have an anti-anxiety med, it might help, and dont worry about it. If it happens again, then ask your doctor about it. It *could* just be a one-time occurance as you are pretty far along and getting adapted to the med...
Good Luck... p.s. if really concerned about it, PM (private message) one of the moderators, I think they will agree with me, and they are more knowledgeable than I....
p.s. I dont think this is the reason but it is good to take the med as close as you can each day to your regular scheduled time....

Edited by BetterOff, 28 September 2010 - 08:31 PM.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

Hi Blue_Envy ,

Unfortunately this tremor is a side effect of Prozac and a few other SSRI ADs . Do see your Doctor if it is affecting your ability to Drive and Work.

Normally this side effects settles down after a while, but my advice would be to see your Doctor now for his professional opinion. Do keep a written journal or just a sheet of paper to track exactly is happening to this tremor.

There are add on medication which can stop this tremor, however do see your Doctor.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#4 warpysaint

warpysaint

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:35 PM

Not to freak you out or anything, but you might inquire as to whether or not you have a family history of epilepsy. I am biased here, having had a seizure that began as some twitching in my arm, but I was taking several medications at the time, and stopped taking one of them without tapering (which is a good way to cause problems for yourself incidentally.) It most likely is just a start-up side effect that will subside with time, but it is a good idea to make note of your side effects and discuss them with your doctor.

-WS
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

"I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime..." -Big CountryPosted Image

#5 Blue_Envy

Blue_Envy

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:53 PM

Not to freak you out or anything, but you might inquire as to whether or not you have a family history of epilepsy. I am biased here, having had a seizure that began as some twitching in my arm, but I was taking several medications at the time, and stopped taking one of them without tapering (which is a good way to cause problems for yourself incidentally.) It most likely is just a start-up side effect that will subside with time, but it is a good idea to make note of your side effects and discuss them with your doctor.

-WS

Actually my auntie had epilepsy. I had it too for about a year. I only had 3 episodes; the doctors figured it was because of my near drowning experience I had when I was 6. I haven't had any seizures for 20 years.

#6 AndIAloneSurvived

AndIAloneSurvived

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

I think the tremor might be dose related. I take 20mg/day with no tremor, but if I forget and accidentally take 2 (total = 40 mgs), i start to tremble all over...
At the end of the day, I'm just another man in a panda suit.

#7 ocarina

ocarina

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hi, I had this while on fluoxetine the second time. I also had very bad jerking in my legs so that sometimes I could not walk well. It never went away and was one reason I had to switch to Lexapro (after 4 months). I think it's good to bring this up with your doctor if it doesn't stop. Your dose may need adjusting (maybe it is too high).
Melancholic depression, 3 severe episodes, feel pretty good in between episodes though. Currently on 2.5 mg/day Lexapro and supplementing with fish oil, vitamins, tyrosine, exercise and light box. Whew!

Any advice I offer is just that - advice and opinions. I have no degrees that are at all related to the medical field.

#8 Panacea90

Panacea90

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

just wanted to post that I am experiencing muscle twitches as well, and this is my 1st day of taking Prozac. I am also on Wellbutrin XL 450 mg and Buspar 60 mg, and ive been on both of these for several months with virtually no side effects. For those of you who know anything about this, does this side effect of prozac wither away with time (for most people) ? Also, does this twitching continue once you stop the medication ? That is what I am most worried about, if this is causing any long-term damage ? The tremors are noticeable with my arms/hands and neck. From what I have read, it is not so unusual to get these tremors...

#9 ocarina

ocarina

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

just wanted to post that I am experiencing muscle twitches as well, and this is my 1st day of taking Prozac. I am also on Wellbutrin XL 450 mg and Buspar 60 mg, and ive been on both of these for several months with virtually no side effects. For those of you who know anything about this, does this side effect of prozac wither away with time (for most people) ? Also, does this twitching continue once you stop the medication ? That is what I am most worried about, if this is causing any long-term damage ? The tremors are noticeable with my arms/hands and neck. From what I have read, it is not so unusual to get these tremors...

As I said, the tremors never went away for me the whole time I was on Prozac (4 months-ish) :\ I was also worried that they would become permanent after I stopped the Prozac. Well, it's been a year off the Prozac and very occasionally when I'm stressed out I get tremors/jerkiness, which I never used to before the Prozac. But they are very rare now and much less severe when they do come. So I think it was not permanent for me.
Melancholic depression, 3 severe episodes, feel pretty good in between episodes though. Currently on 2.5 mg/day Lexapro and supplementing with fish oil, vitamins, tyrosine, exercise and light box. Whew!

Any advice I offer is just that - advice and opinions. I have no degrees that are at all related to the medical field.

#10 skipaheartbeat

skipaheartbeat

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

Hi BlueEnvy

I'v been on Prozac at 20 mg for over a year now and have just upped my dose to 40mg. Since upping it, I also have had quite terrible trembling hands (which come and go depending on the time of day and what I've been doing/eating). I don;t remember having them the first time I went on Prozac, however I am definitely more anxious during this episode, so it could be that. Generally when I have an episode, and change or up my meds, it seems all the side effects are actually my symptoms of depression or anxiety exaggerated. Also I do definitley remember on starting Prozac, that the side effects came and went over the first two months so it wouldnt surprise me if you get a side effect in week 7...and I didnt get full benefit of Prozac till about week 9 or 10. Hope thats helpful, and that it subsides soon

xx
Severe depression/anxiety 2002, tried several AD's till settled on Sertraline 50mg day for 6 years, talking therapy for 1 year and CBT for 18 months. Discontinued Sertraline October 2008, depression slowly returned over 5 months. Began Fluoxetine 20mg February 2009, and awaiting psych support. Currently signed off work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users