Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Prozac Vs Lexapro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ppge4

ppge4

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some research on Lexapro and Prozac and I've heard great things about both. Is there one that is "better" to try first? Is there a difference between going from Lexapro-->Prozac vs Prozac-->Lexapro if I have to make the switch?

By the way, I've been on 150mg of Wellbutrin for about 8 months now. It has worked to some degree, but I'm still experiencing depressive symptoms. Daily fatigue has always been a big issue with me. Thanks!

#2 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

Hi ppge4 and Welcome to DF,

Both Prozac and Lexapro are effective SSRI medications and it is difficult to say which one is better than the other as it very much and individual response to either.

Like any medication it take people time to see if it is going to be effective for them , so if you do decide to switch from Wellbutrin it would take a while before either medication would prove to be as effective or not.

Have you considered asking your Doctor to review your Wellbutrin and perhaps increase it a little to see if that makes a difference.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 ppge4

ppge4

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for the reply.

My doc wants to add an SSRI in addition to the wellbutrin and just keep both at relatively low doses. I'm tempted to try Lexapro first, because I hear there are less side effects (i.e. fatigue).

#4 mom2pg

mom2pg

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the reply.

My doc wants to add an SSRI in addition to the wellbutrin and just keep both at relatively low doses. I'm tempted to try Lexapro first, because I hear there are less side effects (i.e. fatigue).

I have taken both and I would have to say that Prozac worked the longest for me. It seems that if you have a large anxiety component than Lexapro might be a better choice. I currently take Effexor XR and my dr. just put me on Wellbutrin about 5 days ago. I have felt better the last few days. Don't be concerned about what dosage you require, some people require high doses of their meds to get the best results. I don't know what dose of Wellbutrin you are on but is there an option to increase your dose before adding on an SSRI?

I wish you the best!

#5 m3grl

m3grl

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:26 AM

Hi, I have given some input on that in the Wellbutrin section. Title: Adding 10 mg ofLexapro to Wellbutrin. Hope this helps.

#6 ocarina

ocarina

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

Agreed that Lexapro is generally a bit better if you're suffering anxiety, but Prozac is a little bit more stimulating (for many people, of course YMMV) so that can help with fatigue...
Melancholic depression, 3 severe episodes, feel pretty good in between episodes though. Currently on 2.5 mg/day Lexapro and supplementing with fish oil, vitamins, tyrosine, exercise and light box. Whew!

Any advice I offer is just that - advice and opinions. I have no degrees that are at all related to the medical field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users