Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dar

Are depressed people more intelligent than other people?

86 posts in this topic

Posted

youve got to be kidding me...def no correlation, if anything its an inverse relationship

now if you want to examine something linked to depression, look at wealth..it seems that far and away depressed people are either poor or barely surviving...i make no claim to be intelligent, but its always interesting to see people call themselves intelligent and at the same time are living on welfare or having to eat ramen noodles and take the bus. there are literally endless ways to make a decent (if not great) living, using any number of skillsets or intelligence types (IQ, EQ, artistic, etc), so when push comes to shove, why is it that most depressed people cant cut it?

What an absolutely ridiculous post. Where are you getting this information from? Seems like it's just a rant against people who 'take the bus'. You, sir, have no idea what you are talking about.

Go and get an education!!

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I agree. I know lots of people who are suffering from depression who have plenty of money and not a single financial problem in the world.... including myself. Furthermore, I think the depression you speak of is not the typical depression we are speaking of. Circumstantial depression due to lack of funds or education is a totally different thing buddy. I, personally, was speaking of those of us who suffer depression no matter what our circumstance. I am really sorry if you are having financial problems and can't cut it, but speak for yourself, and consider getting a financial advisor. Furthermore, to know what we are talking about, you should atleast get educated on depression. In the future, please have enough consideration to think about what you are saying. You rudely insulted everyone who actually suffers from depression.

Posted (edited)

youve got to be kidding me...def no correlation, if anything its an inverse relationship

now if you want to examine something linked to depression, look at wealth..it seems that far and away depressed people are either poor or barely surviving...i make no claim to be intelligent, but its always interesting to see people call themselves intelligent and at the same time are living on welfare or having to eat ramen noodles and take the bus. there are literally endless ways to make a decent (if not great) living, using any number of skillsets or intelligence types (IQ, EQ, artistic, etc), so when push comes to shove, why is it that most depressed people cant cut it?

Money is not everyones only ambition in life. I dropped out of a university course where my average grade was an A/A- so that i could spend more time with my son, and becuase i was having physical health problems at the time. Why? Becuase i put my sons upbringing higher on my list of priorities than getting a degree and having a flash job i can boost about to all my friends in an attempt to make myself look more important. I would prefer that my child is emotionally healthy and has a mother who has time to be there for him. I can always resume my studies at a later date. I cant go back in time and raise my child all over again!

Im a single parent, but that was becuase of a relationship breakdown with his father, i had my son when i was living with his dad at the age of 22. I am 30 now. I went to university in my twenties because i didnt come from a privaliged background and couldnt afford to do it beforehand.

I also spent a vast majority of my 20's and later teens looking after an elderly disabled mentally ill mother so a lot of my time was taken up with that. She passed away in march 2005 at the age of 73 from puenmonia.

However talented a person maybe there are sometimes other things that are more important than making your mark on the world in the form of a career and a flush bank account.

I put human feelings first, money comes somewhere down the bottom of my list.

Edited by Angelofshadows

Posted

I was thinking of a line in a song, if your not ##at the world, your just not paying attention.

Hmmph, this is a curious idea. Myself, I found intelligence detracts from getting better, from making changes. My mental activity is a form of resistance.

It has been my experience intelligent people have a harder time when they/we try to change. Thinking about stuff, cause and affect, logic, knowledge, are not necessarily helpful in dealing with feelings. There is a tremendous difference between a thought and a feeling. Trying to understand feelings by using my mind, is like trying to fix a car with a rubber band.

I hope this post takes a different turn. I believe what is important is to listen. I would venture to suggest depression and feelings of worthiness are related ideas. Consequently, I don't think it is a good idea to judge on this forum. Rather, take what you like and leave ther rest. If you are right, then somebody else must be wrong. I encourage everyone to please keep judgments to a minimum, or to yourself.

We are all responsible for keeping this a safe place. It is important that everyone feels safe to express themselves here.

Posted (edited)

Jm187, I am not sure if you are trolling with that response, but if you really don't understand this, I think I can explain.

Money is not intelligence. Money may be a small part of intelligence but is not intelligence in itself. If someone wins the lottery does that make them more intelligent? If someone is good at football and makes his living as a lineman does that make him intelligent? What about someone who inherents a lot of money from their parents? If someone is competitive and gets a good job does that make them intelligent? Do any of these mean anything relatively to brain capacity? Maybe, but usually no.

On the other hand: If someone were to write a book that no one bought, does that mean they are not intelligent? A song? Any art period? If someone "is" unemployed does that mean they are not smart? If someone is a genius at math with terrible social skills, does that make them stupid? How about someone starting a business that fails, does that make them stupid too? If Einstein was afraid to leave his home but still made his theories, would that mean he was a stupid man?

I see things that are much more relevant to getting rich as: greed, self-esteem/ego, competitiveness, a willingness to take advantage of others to get what you want, looks, a good financial starting point, and luck.

Dawgdean, that is a very good point, we should definately try and keep things civil here. I will leave my opinion here, but we may all have to just agree to disagree on this one.

Edited by chaku

Posted

jm187,

You may not realize how insensitive this post sounds, but it is very insulting to poeple with depression and people struggling with poverty.

Poverty is a very complex problem, caused by any number of circumstances. So is depression for that matter. Niether poverty nor depression can be 'willed' away.

Please think about whether you might be offending someone before you post. I think you could have made your thoughts known without being insulting.

KA

Posted (edited)

Hey All~

Interesting perspectives on this topic. I've seen genius type people suffer with depression and social anxiety. I'm not talking about 2 or 3 I'm talking like 15 people I know. They are book smart, street smart, and all those other smarts. I'm not a genius type, but I am an above average person. I do believe that my observations and listening skills have improved thanks to depression; I was always a good listener before my depression "kicked in", but now I "hear" people better. I feel more compassionate towards them. I am also very in-tone with myself. Depression makes me think a lot about myself what I want, don't want, who I am and who I am not. This is definitely helping me cope with my depression. There could be a correlation with depression and higher intelligence. I am biology freak so I wonder if the brain kind of re-wire its self over time. Its interesting nevertheless. Take Care :hearts:

Edited by Special K

Posted

In general? Maybe. I've thought about this a lot too. I guess it could go either way. I mean,

a) depressed people have reason to think more about society/the world/whatever troubles them, whereas people who don't have depression never need to find a reason to be happy or to trust in anything. They just are happy, and they just do trust that what they see, is.

b) People who are more intelligent tend to see the problems with the world/society/whatever troubles them, and they also tend to dwell on it, and that makes them depressed.

Maybe it's a mixture of the two? Of course, I also know a lot of intelligent people who have no signs of depression, and depressed people with... no signs of intelligence? ha ha...

I would choose 'a' if I had to, although I do agree that it's too complicated to find a definite answer. Maybe depressed people are just more expressive about their thoughts? Many artists/musicians/actors etc. are depressed, or manic depressive. I do think depressed people tend to be more artistic, out of necessity. Of course my dad has chronic depression and hardly uses *any* of his right brain.

In my opinion, humans know very little about their own minds. So who knows?

Posted

This *is* really insulting. How many depressed people do you know? Whether or not someone "can't cut it" has to do with their will do make something of themselves, and their ability to function, not always just their depression or intelligence. And have you noticed that there are many, many rich people who are obviously not intelligent? Maybe it would make more sense to say, rich people are more often left-brained. They are more logical and cool-headed. Ergo, they are willing to do things that a more sensitive or artistic person would not want to do or be willing to do to get rich.

I don't mean to say that all rich people are unartistic jerks, but I think it's a better corrolation. Look at the music industry... There are so many rich untalented people there, because they were less concerned with art and integrity, and more with having fun and making money. That doesn't make them any smarter. Look at Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes. He's a poetic genius, and he has depression. He also refused to sign to any major labels. Then we have all these pop artists who don't write their own music, or can't sing, or sing, but over a back-up track. Or just lip-sync. I resent the implication that depressed people are unintelligent just because they aren't all wealthy. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't measure intelligence by your bank account. I think that's a little shallow, and that that comment was a little thoughtless.

I'm sure most of us here are depressed or have a family member, friend or lover who is depressed. I think it's insulting to come into a forum dedicated to people with depression and then call them stupid, or say that they all live in sheds and "can't cut it". So what if someone doesn't want to just work a job that makes them a whole lot of money? Maybe more depressed people just want to do what makes them happy, not what makes them money. How could you call them stupid for that? Everyone needs to be happy. And sometimes, it's hard to even get out of bed in the morning. Depressed people, more than anyone, need to do something with themselves that prove their self-worth. Money doesn't make a person happy, or good. It has no bearings on a person's intelligence. I mean, congratulations to all those people who worked hard and made themselves wealthy. I'm not trying to negate the fact that many people with money *do* work for it. But some of them don't. And some of them are still stupid.

I know a lot of people who are intelligent, but still find it hard to make everything work with their lives. Society is not very accepting of mental illness.

Anyway, this whole thing reminded me of a Bright Eyes song called 'Laura Laurent' where Conor Oberst talks

about a girl with depression, and says, "You should never be embarrassed by your trouble with living. 'Cause it's the ones with the sorest throats, Laura, who have done the most singing."

Being sad makes everything much harder. And sometimes, the solution is not obvious. Don't assume that because someone can't get up and be cheery every day that theyare stupid. A think a lot of them know a lot more than "normal" people about life. If you're not participating, you're at least usually observing. And that can teach you a lot more, I think.

Posted

Was this reply really necessary? Please just go troll somewhere else, where your bulls*** is actually tolerated. Because I can promise you that it will not be tolerated here.

Posted (edited)

lol, I thought we were trying to have a civilized discussion

resorting to name calling, def a sign of intelligence, guess the truth hurts..

Re : jm187-

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!

Trolls are looking to stir things up. To somehow get a distraction from whatever else is bothering them. The more we respond, the better he'll feel, because he got a reaction.

My advice would be to IGNORE ( and you can set this in your control panel) jm187 so that he takes his warped need for stirring up trouble elsewhere.

Just got to MyControls, Options, Manage Ignored Users, and add his screenname. end of story.

Bye jm 187!

KA

Edited by KeepingAwake

Posted

lol, I thought we were trying to have a civilized discussion

resorting to name calling, def a sign of intelligence, guess the truth hurts..

Well, I'm certainly being more civilized than you are. At least I can tell when I'm not wanted on a message board. That skill seems to have escaped you.

And onto "ignore" you go! Bah-bye, Mister Troll! :hearts:

Posted

This is a good thread to read. I remember I was not depressed when I was small and did not have the social values instilled in me by church, school, and home. Then the concept of money, rich vs poor people, black, white , mexican , poor side of town vs rich , different cliques of people forming and all the hyprocriscy that goes with it. Then I started to be depressed. Seems like they say do this in Public and then do what you really want in private and reward those who can do this game well. If you decide you don't want to play the game then you get excluded from the group and labled as anti-social or a trouble maker. If you try and make sense of societys games then you loose your marbles and have problems.

Brain chemistry seems to be studied by people who do not have depression and there fore are not really intune to our illness.

Posted

i dont have a problem with people pursuing their passion, its more the people who tout their intelligence and just wait for their welfare check every month.

And what does this have to do with depression? Do you seriously think that people who are depressed set around waiting on a welfare check? I understand your point that financial difficulties can increase depression; However, depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Just because one might have little money doesn't doom them to depression or vis versa.

Let me ask you something? Did you come to this forum to insult us? I think you probably came here because you needed some help. You are going about it the wrong way. If not, I think maybe you are looking for anger management, not depression forums. Anyway, if you meant no insult to anyone, why don't you say so in a nice way.. This can all be turned around.

Posted (edited)

I think there a lot of factors contribute when it comes to depression.

I don't think that intelligent people are necessarily depressed because they can't cope with normal society. I can say that I myself tend to feel stupid, because I dumb myself down because people usually don't understand me otherwise. Plus I usually like less intelligent people better. :P It brings me down a little but not enough to make me depressed.

I have however asked myself this question, whether intelligence plays a part in being depressed?...and almost posted it once. I think in my head why I always ask myself the question is because of the state of the world. How many wrongs there are. You also look at statistics and see that by 2020 depression will be the #1 health problem around the world (or something along those lines). Which makes me also wonder about how screwed up the world is now, and I think will continue to be. I tend to think people with higher intelligence tend to pay more attention to world affairs and information being put out there.

Also I think people who are more analytical tend to overanalyze themselves and get more into the negative thinking set of mind. You see cognitive thought therapy being used more and more which would suggest that a lot of depression is in the way one thinks...I tend to think that this therapy might work better for those with above average intelligence, because I kind of think it hits that group of people.

I think though having higher intelligence does make it easier to problem solve and get yourself out of depression, or prevent it...but as most probably have experienced tunnel vision tends to play part and a lot of things are thrown out the window including the ability to problem solve.

In the end I would say being of above average intelligence can contribute to being depressed, but is not a result of depression. And I don't think anyone one factor could be a sole cause for depression.

It would be interesting to see some statistical studies done on the correlation. I'm sure there probably have been, but as someone has said they probably would be in scientific journals which usually have restricted access. Has anyone looked through the psychology magazine archives? I would suggest a poll with IQ range/depression...but of course this forum would be biased. I might do that on one of my other forums...though it's really not to scientific.

Edited by TwilightZephyr

Posted

Did y'all never just get bored by being surrounded by idiots? Not feel stiumulated. That's what makes me depressed!

Posted

Did y'all never just get bored by being surrounded by idiots? Not feel stiumulated. That's what makes me depressed!

As funny as that sounds, no joke! I don't mean in a mean way. I agree in that the people I feel depressed or anzious around has no idea about so much in life. They seem to be nieve.. or not in tune to the things that are important in life.. the things that make us "artistic"

Posted

CHILDREN OF BIPOLAR PARENTS SCORE HIGHER ON CREATIVITY TEST, STANFORD STUDY FINDS

STANFORD, Calif.

Posted (edited)

i dont have a problem with people pursuing their passion, its more the people who tout their intelligence and just wait for their welfare check every month.

oh i dont know, if you look at it another way, they are getting something for free, and that doesnt seem entirely stupid to me.

and of course as they dont work, they have lots of free time to pursue their passion in the process.

Not that im advocating welfare as i dont know the system in the USA. Personally in the UK, as a single parent im better off not working at this time.

So i stay at home, look after my child and use my free time to follow my passions instead.

I also use this time to look into career avenues and job options for when i do return to work.

The intelligent thing to do is to always follow the route that is the most advantageous at the time :hearts:

If i went out to work at this time, it would be the stupid thing to do. When my child is older then i shall change my approach, but not just yet.

Edited by Angelofshadows

Posted

Did y'all never just get bored by being surrounded by idiots? Not feel stiumulated.

I dont really get bored of my own company, no

And im perfectly capable of stimulating myself, thanks.

Posted

I see things that are much more relevant to getting rich as: greed, self-esteem/ego, competitiveness, a willingness to take advantage of others to get what you want, looks, a good financial starting point, and luck.

here here!!

Posted

As I read through this thread, I am seeiing one thing very similar.....we have all thought this. I believe there is truth in it so let me explain why....

Someone once told me that a blind man can usually see better than average and a deaf man tends to have 20/20 vision by nature.... this is because when God takes away one of your senses, he inhances another....hence, if depressed people have the issues that we all have, then we should by nature be stronger with something else.

Only problem with my theory is that I can't prove it. I can't identify my inner strength.(yet) What about you guys....any hidden strengths that surpass average out there?

Hey Angel of Shadows, I have that painting above my bed.

Anyway, I'm a musician, and have apparantly picked up music unusually quickly. Does that count? Also, I have a really good auditory memory. I can still remember exact conversations I had five years ago, down to the inflections and vocal tones of those involved. It sortof freaks people out sometimes, because they don't think I'm listening to what they're talking about, but later, when they can't even remember what they said, I can tell them exactly what it was. Sometimes my auditory memories are so strong, I almost think they're real (happening right now). Eg. I'll hear a song one day, and the next morning, I keep thinking it's playing even though no radios are on.

Also, I was pulled from my Kindergarten class because I was learning faster than the other kids. There were no special programs in my school, so they had to put me in seperate lessons. After that, I transferred to a better school, where I was again stuck in a pull-out class. I've been in AC and IB ever since. Mind you, some of the kids in IB are still not that intelligent. You can get in if you're a hard worker too. You just need high grades.

I have several disorders (apparantly) though. I've been diagnosed for depression/bipolar disorder (they haven't figured out which yet), general anxiety, panic disorder, OCD, and ADD. So I have a few factors besides depression.

I'm not sure the blind person analogy works here... Depressed people aren't necessarily "missing" anything, are they? It makes sense that if a person is missing one sense, the rest are strengthened: Their concentration isn't being divided as much as if they had all their senses. It isn't really the same for depressed people though, is it? I guess though, our concentration *is* being divided differently. We don't pay as much attention to everyday things, I think. I know I don't... Things like clothes, hair, television. I do think that there is a link between depression and intelligence, generally. I'm just not sure that this is the best way of expression the relationship.

Posted

jeffster84 -- I never get bored with "idiots" no one is really a complete *****. You'd be suprised at the other gifts people without smarts have...like more compassion. You can always learn something from everyone. Granted there are times I feel surrounded by idiots...but mostly because I think my country has way to many of them in high places.

tlmorowsky -- that was an interesting read...my mother was/is manic-depressive. I feel anything but creative...lol. I have no talent for creativity...so maybe it is more an evironment thing.

bint_button81 -- I think everyone has strengths and talents to compensate for what they lack. I actually think that one of the reasons a deaf man's sight or whatnot is strengthened because their body has one less strength to use, so it moves the focus and work to other areas. Try closing your eyes, and see if you don't become more aware of what you are hearing.

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure the blind person analogy works here... Depressed people aren't necessarily "missing" anything, are they? It makes sense that if a person is missing one sense, the rest are strengthened: Their concentration isn't being divided as much as if they had all their senses. It isn't really the same for depressed people though, is it? I guess though, our concentration *is* being divided differently. We don't pay as much attention to everyday things, I think. I know I don't... Things like clothes, hair, television. I do think that there is a link between depression and intelligence, generally. I'm just not sure that this is the best way of expression the relationship.

I agree with your point and wonder perhaps if they are, in a sense, talking about the concept of balance? For every negative there is a positive etc and all that? A lot of philosophies are based on it, negative/positive, good/evil, yin/yang, light/dark, night/day and all the shades of grey inbetween.

For every injustice there is a justice, for every sorrow there is a joy and so on and so forth. All in all coming together to create balance.

and there might even be a little splash of karma in there too.

im rambling now so im going to shut up whilst i think im making sense :D

Edited by Enigmatic_Soul

Posted (edited)

I won't try to make a guess as to whether depressed people are more intelligent than the average population or that intelligent people have a greater tendency to be depressed. Without solid, empirical evidence, it would be a mistake to try. But, even though I am not qualified to comment, I will try anyway. I am throwing my two cents in because this is an extremely fascinating topic, but I'll let you draw any conclusions you want.

(Warning: This post is longer than I planned, so let the reader beware. And sorry.)

First, about me:

The best I have been able to ascertain is that I have been depressed since fairly early childhood (3,4,5 or so). This is based on memories of my behavior then. The depression became worse to the point of incapacitation at times when I was in high school. I don't know if there is a connection to my intelligence. My IQ has tested high but with different results at different times (probably a difference in testing methods). When I was a kid, my parents had me tested and the supposed result was 170. I think that result was a bit too high. My most recent test, a couple of years ago, was 147. I have a strange mix of right-brained thinking that connects well to the left brain in some areas. In standardized testing in school, I pegged the top in math areas, yet made absolutely crappy grades in math. I tested well in verbal and visual skills, the two areas I have actually used professionally. Visual orientation is very strong in me, either a result or a cause of my ADD. I understand visual cues in learning faster than oral. I understand written instructions better than oral. All that is connected with ADD.

This all tied together for me in a number of ways. For example, I understand pretty well many of the basic concepts of both quantum and relativisitic theories of the physical universe. But it's visual. In my head, I see it and get it. If I had to explain what I understand, I would have do it with visual representations. But I could never do the math or be a physicist. I am in awe of the whizes who can and are.

I can remember the faces of everyone I have ever met and the sound of every song I have heard. I can't tell you the name of someone I met last week or the title of a song that was on the radio a hundred times this month.

When I define myself (in a vocational sense and apart from what I am currently doing for a living), I say I am a media person, a communicator. I think I am best at taking information and concepts and converting them to messages that help people understand them. I have worked in newspaper, radio, television and now internet -- all communication media. The problem is that right now, I am working as a contract application programmer, which puts me right on the cusp of what I can do and what I am not qualified to do (remember my crappy math grades?). Where I excel in this is taking what a client's goals are, the business to be done on the web, and creating interfaces that are intuitive and understandable. I am good enough at programming, but there are far more people out there who are better trained, better qualified. The interesting thing to note here is that I have worked with those guys, and to a man, they would excel in programming skills, able to kick my coding butt in a single bound, and yet totally blow at communicating with customers and developing interfaces that could be understood and used by anybody but themselves.

So how does this connect to my depression?

Someone once said that "depression is rage suppressed." I don't know about rage, but I do think that one factor in MY depression is that I feel stuck in the wrong vocational box and I don't know how to get out without losing my house and starving for a while. Here I am, fighting my demons, trying to work at programming (which I have done for more than 7 years), and yet it is NOT what I would be doing if I could snap my fingers. I would rather write... talk about the human condition... about us and how the things we say and do have a profound effect on the people around us and spreading exponentially to others as time moves on. But I am not. Instead, I am stuck in a box with no visible way out.

Is my depression connected to my intelligence?

Only in that my mind works in certain ways and although I want to accomodate it, I don't see how I can and that contributes to my affliction. So the depression is not a consequence of my intelligence (or the other way around). My depression is a consequence of my psychic conflict. One part of my brain KNOWS where I am supposed to be right now and wants it more than anything else. Another part of my brain can't figure out how to get there and feels trapped. So the part in between seems unable to resolve this dilemma and I live in pain as a result.

What can I do about it?

I try to spend a little time working on things I would like to do: outlining story or article ideas, researching and making notes and working on ideas for illustrations. But I feel conflicted doing that because I know there is "real" work on the table waiting to be done, clients wondering where it is and many, many bills to pay. So I usually shut off after just a few minutes; it's like my demon throws a switch that I cannot reach. So I usually end up just sitting here, paralyzed.

What about others?

Do I think other people have the same experience? I can't say. When I read posts here, the one thing I see that thay all have in common is the internal conflict each person suffers. Everyone one here seems intelligent enough, maybe some know more about some stuff than others, but I don't see a correlation between their verbal abilities, knowledge they may have or any other IQ indicator and the degree to which they suffer from depression. The main difference may not be whether people of different intelligence suffer depression, but rather how the symptoms manifest themselves and how they deal with the affliction. The biggest difference that may make is that some people, based on how other things in their lives have gone, will have better options for care than others, such as better insurance (or any at all), different notions about any stigma mental health issues have, etc.

One thing for sure, we are all very, very different from each other. Just read the RX posts. For any given drug you will see a variety of responses and side effects. I think that is an indicator of why depression has both similar and variable effects on each of us. Our brains, no matter how you measure intelligence, are so different (and thank God for that, eh?) that we will have different stressors, chemistries and triggers.

My version of the bottom line

With apologies to the real estate industry, the common denominator is:

CONFLICT, CONFLICT, CONFLICT.

Edited by DuckDodger