Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Commitment Phobia Or Bipolar Disorder?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Babette00

Babette00

ID: 51771

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:17 PM

I've never been in a relationship and I'm 29. I'm slowly trying to be proactive about finding love and companionship but like in the past, I'll get high when I first meet someone and then low immediately thereafter. I'm trying to reconcile for myself, after being diagnosed with bipolar disorder: is this a symptom of the disorder or just basic commitment phobia. The more I over-analyze, the more I conclude it's the latter. There are plenty of bipolar sufferers who've been in relationships. Although, for me relationships of any kind are burdensome and emotionally/psychologically overwhelming. I shut off immediately at any sign of impending turmoil. Can anyone relate?

#2 r90

r90

ID: 48887

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hello there, welcome to DF =)

I've also never been in a relationship before, I suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder among other mental health issues, anyway I can relate to the emotions you're having, it sounds to me that you also suffer from some relationship issues, a group therapy may be really helpful for you to teach you some skills to be applied in your social life, are you taking meds ? Meds are the primary treatment for Bipolar disorder, keep writing to us and remember we really listen =)

r90
Borderline Personality Disorder: Is it just a diagnosis label or a constant chaos of suffering?

DepressionForums.org is a community support group for mental health issues, our job is to support, if you're seeking a medical advice or treatment, please refer to a qualified mental health professional
Posted Image

#3 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

ID: 10376

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:54 AM

Hi Babette00

Unfortunately we can't tell you if Bipolar is causing this. However, it can be very hard for someone suffering from Bipolar to keep a relationship going. My ex husband has bipolar and it was not easy at all. We got married, everything was ok, then he got paranoid, locked his emotions away and then eventually left without saying a word.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#4 Babette00

Babette00

ID: 51771

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

Hello there, welcome to DF =)

I've also never been in a relationship before, I suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder among other mental health issues, anyway I can relate to the emotions you're having, it sounds to me that you also suffer from some relationship issues, a group therapy may be really helpful for you to teach you some skills to be applied in your social life, are you taking meds ? Meds are the primary treatment for Bipolar disorder, keep writing to us and remember we really listen =)

r90

Hi, r90, thanks for responding. No I'm not on meds yet. I'm awaiting treatment but I'm at the point where everything is coming to a head. I've lost a decade of my life -- dropped out of college, unable to complete any of the infinite ideas or endeavors I've undertaken, no relationships, etc. And now that I've been diagnosed I'm getting a little anxious to take back my life. I'm reminding myself not to pressure myself about companionship b/c it will only make things worse. I've felt safe from the complications of unions but I also feel it's so unhealthy to have never allowed myself to be loved or love. Anyhoo, I'm doing research on the various non-med treatments to take.

And Trace, your husband reminds me of myself. I can go MIA at the drop of a dime, I've done that with employers and friends.

#5 Hircon

Hircon

Gold Member

ID: 19021

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

Hi Babette

I'm BP and have kept up a few relationships over time. What I've noticed (naturally only personal experience) is that if I don't have my moods strictly under control, or logging them, then I can hit a high, be all excited about things, then hit a low and think everything has changed, its worse, they're too good for me and I want to break it off.

I also think most of us naturally get a high/low at the start of any potential relationship, as we get all excited about someone, then over-analyse whether their SMS not arriving is because they don't like us or whatever... so there is a natural set of mood swings at the start of a relationship.

So, (again, personal opinion only!) I think that when you add a BP high/low to relationship start-up high/lows, it can very quickly throw us over the edge if we don't pay really close attention to ourselves, rather than the other person.

Silly as it sounds to get over the whole relationship thing at the start I've basically trained myself into not caring that much, which helps. I no longer get anxious over whether I've received a message or whatever. But it is quite hard to change your thought patterns like that.

So the constructive advice is that the previous suggestions of therapy groups is great. The other thing is to just put yourself out there with no expectations of relationships, but in situations where you are dealing with lots of different people. That helps give you confidence in yourself, which is really important to have before trying to be in a relationship.

Best wishes
Hircon
I know one truth.
There is always hope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users