Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Fluoxetine Tablets Vs. Capsules?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 goodmom

goodmom

ID: 51935

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:36 AM

Hi, I was just wondering if there is a difference between taking a tablet and a capsule (non delayed release) form of fluoxetine? Maybe it's my imagination but I feel a little different (sometimes better, sometimes worse) if I take the tablet form vs. the capsule form. Both are 20 mgs. The pharmacy was supposed to give me the tablet form but gave me the capsule form instead which I didn't think was a big deal since they are both 20 mgs. of the generic. I had some tablets left from when I was on it previously (not expired yet). Anyone out there who has had a similar experience and which one worked better? Still waiting for the normal feeling to return....patience can be a real pain in the b----.

#2 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

ID: 35694

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

Hi goodmom,

Yes there can be a difference in effect from a tablet to a capsule as there is from one generic brand of fluoxetine to another generic brand (different manufacturers) In theory there is supposed to be no difference, but I tried several different brands of generic fluoxetine and there was a definite difference in that some did not work for me at all.

I found the exact same difference on Citalopram, I had to change from one generic brand to another to get it too work for me.

Each manufacture uses a different filler and I feel that is what makes the difference. Many other people have had the same experience.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 goodmom

goodmom

ID: 51935

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

Jim, Very interesting. I think the tablets make me less numb. I am going to stay off the capsules for a few days and use the tablets and see if that feeling keeps up. Other than that no real change - keeping my fingers crossed for some big changes. Thanks for the info.

#4 akasnicka

akasnicka

Just Registered

ID: 110265

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

I have had this same issue. When I take the capsules, they don't seem to be nearly as effective, and I feel tired all the time. When I spoke to my doctor about this, she said that a possible reason for this may be that my body absorbs the tablets better than the capsules. I don't know if that's the case or not, but I'm definitely going to stick with the tablets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users