• Announcements

• Lindsay

Depression Forums Are Back Online!   02/09/2016

Hello Members! Please understand that this upgrade was huge and is a process that will be ongoing for a tad longer. Somethings may not seem 'right' or look a bit 'strange' at the moment, such as your profile page or "Quotes" etc.. Some things may not work as expected... for the time being, but please appreciate that we have to prioritize function over appearance. Eventually DF will all come together and be wonderful! It will be as if nothing had ever changed... As an afterthought...DF will be ACCESSIBLE ANYTIME/ANYWHERE
      Whether you’re on your smartphone, tablet or computer, access to Depressionforums.org/forums is right at your fingertips with our new upgrade. The
      refreshing, dynamic look translates across all platforms and devices.
      Come join up, become a member if not already! It’s free to post to your peers about anything that is troubling you.  We are certain there is a Forum for that. Tomorrow we will have a Forum set up for members to answer any questions that you may have about the upgrade. We really appreciate all of your feedback! Your Forum Administrators
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goodmom

Fluoxetine Tablets Vs. Capsules?

4 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Hi, I was just wondering if there is a difference between taking a tablet and a capsule (non delayed release) form of fluoxetine? Maybe it's my imagination but I feel a little different (sometimes better, sometimes worse) if I take the tablet form vs. the capsule form. Both are 20 mgs. The pharmacy was supposed to give me the tablet form but gave me the capsule form instead which I didn't think was a big deal since they are both 20 mgs. of the generic. I had some tablets left from when I was on it previously (not expired yet). Anyone out there who has had a similar experience and which one worked better? Still waiting for the normal feeling to return....patience can be a real pain in the b----.

Posted · Report post  

Hi goodmom,

Yes there can be a difference in effect from a tablet to a capsule as there is from one generic brand of fluoxetine to another generic brand (different manufacturers) In theory there is supposed to be no difference, but I tried several different brands of generic fluoxetine and there was a definite difference in that some did not work for me at all.

I found the exact same difference on Citalopram, I had to change from one generic brand to another to get it too work for me.

Each manufacture uses a different filler and I feel that is what makes the difference. Many other people have had the same experience.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Posted · Report post  

Jim, Very interesting. I think the tablets make me less numb. I am going to stay off the capsules for a few days and use the tablets and see if that feeling keeps up. Other than that no real change - keeping my fingers crossed for some big changes. Thanks for the info.

Posted · Report post  

I have had this same issue. When I take the capsules, they don't seem to be nearly as effective, and I feel tired all the time. When I spoke to my doctor about this, she said that a possible reason for this may be that my body absorbs the tablets better than the capsules. I don't know if that's the case or not, but I'm definitely going to stick with the tablets.