Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Unable To Cry

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 SWTCowgirl

SWTCowgirl

ID: 51664

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I am unable to cry. In rare occasions maybe two or three tears will fall, but normally nothing. If I feel like I need to cry, my eyes may well up, but nothing falls. Especially if anyone is around. It makes me feel stupid.

I am in therapy for depression, dissociative disorder, possibly schizoaffective disorder (remission? haven't had problem in years) and PTSD.

People have called me hard hearted. I have been told that I care more for animals than people. Because I did actually cry some when one of my kittens was injured and I had to put her down, but I didn't seem upset when I saw some pictures of a girl from an accident (I didn't know her). Was I supposed to cry for someone I didn't know? I offered sympathetic remarks and asked questions later about her condition. I had empathy, but I wasn't emotionally connected to her. I am not sure how I was supposed to react. I mean, I was extremely attached to my kitten and had nursed her for a week trying to keep her alive.

Sometimes I think it would be very theraputic to have a good cry, but I feel stupid and the tears just won't come. I use a lot of relaxation techniques, not just for the above disorders, but for my headaches, too. I can cry when I have a headache, but I try not to because it just makes it worse. Any other pain, physical or emotional, I just can't. I have broken ribs and shoulder blade during accidents involving horses which brought tears to my eyes, but I couldn't cry with the pain.

Sorry, I think I rambled a little.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Don't let fear get in your way! In whatever part of life, just look fear in the eye & keep on ridin'.

Soon I know I'll wake from this dream
Don't try to fix me, I'm not broken
Hello, I'm the lie that living for you so you can hide
Don't cry...
Evanescence

Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. John Wayne

#2 1099

Platinum Member

ID: 45372

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

Cowgirl,

I have heard this before. You're not alone in it.

There could be many factors causing you this numbness. It could also just be that you are not a very imotional person. Either way, it does not make you cold-hearted. Don't ever let yourself think that.

One more thought, are you on any psych medications? Some of my meds have caused this to happen during some periods of use.

Edited by 1099, 19 August 2010 - 03:10 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Be who you are and say what you feel...
those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

A little blank, a little numb, but always trying to have some fun!

Manic-Depression (Bipolar 1, rapid cycling)

Lithium: 1500mg, Lamictal: 300mg, Abilify: 10mg, Latuda: 40mg, Seroquel: 100mg

#3 SWTCowgirl

SWTCowgirl

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

No, I don't take medications. The doctors have prescibed me so many different medications at different times. I have stopped taking all medications. I just don't like the side effects. I am supposed to keep pain medications for my headaches, but I don't even keep them anymore.

At least I am not alone in this. I know that I am not cold hearted when it comes to animals, but sometimes I am not sure with people. I think that this has to do with the dissociative disorder though. But I do have compassion for others suffering.

Don't let fear get in your way! In whatever part of life, just look fear in the eye & keep on ridin'.

Don't cry...
Evanescence

#4 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

ID: 35694

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

Hi SWTCowgirl,

I personally feel that your issues around crying are very much linked to your Dissociative disorder as you will know more than I do how this can effect your feelings.

Has you Doctor told you will form of Dissociative disorder you have as there are four major dissociative disorders Dissociative amnesia, Dissociative identity disorder, Dissociative fugue and Depersonalization disorder.

I hope that you do well in therapy as I know how tricky it can be to treat this condition.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#5 SWTCowgirl

SWTCowgirl

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

I don't have multiples, I do know that. At least I don't think so. :rolleyes: :sigh: I don't remember much of my childhood and have some fugues (not major ones).

Unfortunately, my therapist doesn't feel qualified to treat that issue. She has no experience with it. We just touch on positivity exercises, relaxation techniques and my depression.

Sorry, if it seems like I hold these issues lightly. I have to laugh at life or not make it. :cool:

Don't cry...
Evanescence

#6 Hircon

Hircon

Gold Member

ID: 19021

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

Even at my worst depressive state I'm typically unable to cry myself, SWTCowgirl, so I can relate to what you're saying somewhat. I've always been very distant from my emotions... the kid who was as happy (or happier) with his lego or computer than with other people.

It freaked the heck out of me for a long time, then I just decided to accept it as part of who I am. Basically after mixing that in with depressive/obsessive thoughts I drove myself nearly off the deep end, so in the end I decided to just not worry about it.

And somehow that worked.

Hircon
I know one truth.
There is always hope.

#7 CookiePT

CookiePT

ID: 51637

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:30 PM

It happens to me too. I can feel sorry or sad for someone, but It's hard to cry.
When people hurt you, your heart gets cold. I guess there's nothing I can do about it :coffeebreak:

#8 SWTCowgirl

SWTCowgirl

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

Thanks so much. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one. Although, I wish noone else had to deal with that.

Don't cry...
Evanescence

#9 xxjasonxx

xxjasonxx

Just Registered

ID: 72589

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

I am unable to cry to, even a few minutes ago I felt my ears were on the verge of crying but nothing came out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users