Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How fast can Zoloft make you manic?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 GottaGetaGrip

GottaGetaGrip

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:02 PM

I had a hypomanic response to Wellbutrin and started feeling the symptoms I think within the first 24-48 hours. The most noticable symptom (or possibly a s/a of the med not related to mania - not sure) was severe headaches.

Anyway, my doc started me on Lamictal yesterday, and conincidentally I crashed because I had been on Seroquel for a manic episode, and if anyof you have seen some of my post recently it was bad! So last night I went to his office and he gave me some Zoloft which he said should be ok since I am now on a mood stabalizer.

So this AM I took the first Zoloft and the second Lamictal, and I am already feeling a little wired. Granted I had some Easter candy this morning, but it feels a little more than just a sugar high. So my question is, could the Zoloft be affecting me this soon, I thought it would take a week to do anything! I also have a bit of a headache. My boss is going out of town and is leaving in an hour. I have been getting more work done in these last few hours than I have the entire week, could it happen this fast?

#2 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:12 PM

I had a hypomanic response to Wellbutrin and started feeling the symptoms I think within the first 24-48 hours. The most noticable symptom (or possibly a s/a of the med not related to mania - not sure) was severe headaches.

Anyway, my doc started me on Lamictal yesterday, and conincidentally I crashed because I had been on Seroquel for a manic episode, and if anyof you have seen some of my post recently it was bad! So last night I went to his office and he gave me some Zoloft which he said should be ok since I am now on a mood stabalizer.

So this AM I took the first Zoloft and the second Lamictal, and I am already feeling a little wired. Granted I had some Easter candy this morning, but it feels a little more than just a sugar high. So my question is, could the Zoloft be affecting me this soon, I thought it would take a week to do anything! I also have a bit of a headache. My boss is going out of town and is leaving in an hour. I have been getting more work done in these last few hours than I have the entire week, could it happen this fast?

I'm not sure about the Zoloft but I do know for a fact that Hellbutrin made me manic in less than 3 days. Supposedly Zoloft is a milder AD but it can, like any other AD make a person manic. I wouldn't panic over it until I contacted my doc and asked him, that's what he's there for, (or the pharmacy also can provide a few answers if he's out normally).

I did a search for what you're asking btw but came up with nothing worthwhile. So it seems contacting the doc asap would be your best alternative. I feel for you, I've just came off a super manic high that lasted a frickin week...I can handle the hypomania and low end mania but the high end sucks. Remember to "try" and get some rest if at all possible. That will do you a lot of good or it works for me "if" I can sleep.

Edited by Epic, 21 April 2006 - 02:14 PM.

So understand
Dont waste your time always
Searching for those wasted years
Face up... make your stand
And realise youre living in the golden years.

#3 GottaGetaGrip

GottaGetaGrip

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:14 PM

I'm not sure about the Zoloft but I do know for a fact that Hellbutrin made me manic in less than 3 days. Supposedly Zoloft is a milder AD but it can, like any other AD make a person manic. I wouldn't panic over it until I contacted my doc and asked him, that's what he's there for.

I did a search for what you're asking btw but came up with nothing worthwhile. So it seems contacting the doc asap would be your best alternative. I feel for you, I've just came off a super manic high that lasted a frickin week...I can handle the hypomania and low end mania but the high end sucks. Remember to "try" and get some rest if at all possible. That will do you a lot of good or it works for me "if" I can sleep.

Thanks a lot! I tried to google it too and didn't find much. Doc told me to check in today so we will discuss it.

#4 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

Thanks a lot! I tried to google it too and didn't find much. Doc told me to check in today so we will discuss it.

Also remember you can always call your pharmacy and ask them about your concerns if the doc is out. I wouldn't suspect them to know more than he/she does but it is professional information at least.
So understand

#5 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,968 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

I'm currently on Zoloft and Lamictal. The zoloft did not make me manic in doses of 100mg.At the normal dose of 150mg I had side effects not listed in the PDR. We all react differently to medications. The normal step up dosing on this med starts at 25mg per the pdoc I had while in the hospital. If your doc started you at 100mg, this could be affecting how you feel, Maybe a lower dose could be in order. You may also be experiencing anticipation with the med. Afterall, in your other post you wanted out of your deep depression. I hope your discussion with your pdoc went well regarding your medication.

Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#6 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:41 PM

How are you feeling today Triple G? I hope you got some good news yesterday...

Wow Sheepwoman, you set a precedent for the PDR with Zoloft? That had to be nerve racking. :hearts: I'm the King of freak-the-crap-out when it comes to new meds, it used to be no p until that dang Hellbutrin. Now I have to be coaxed into taking new meds or take what the doc wants me to have, divide it by 4 or 6 if possible and start there.

Gotta, Sheepie maybe onto something when she speaks of anticipation, God knows I feel that way everytime I have to have a new med change. I hope all is going well for you today.
So understand

#7 brokenandscared

brokenandscared

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

New here, I'll get an avatar asap. but I couldn't help but notice your comment. Thought I would add my experience with Zoloft for what it's worth. I had an unexpected turn of events in my marriage last year that inevitably had my doctor diagnose me with depression. So he put me on Zoloft. Hmmm I think it was 50mg. I immediately got worse and began to want to die! He immediately changed me to Trazodone. It worked much better. The feelings went away. :bump: I was first put on 50mg.. Unfortunately things had gotten worse recently and am now on 100mg. But still no thoughts and such. :hearts: For what it's worth! James

Oh! I too had major headaches.

Edited by brokenandscared, 22 April 2006 - 01:34 PM.

Am I going to win this race?

#8 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:44 PM

New here, I'll get an avatar asap. but I couldn't help but notice your comment. Thought I would add my experience with Zoloft for what it's worth. I had an unexpected turn of events in my marriage last year that inevitably had my doctor diagnose me with depression. So he put me on Zoloft. Hmmm I think it was 50mg. I immediately got worse and began to want to die! He immediately changed me to Trazodone. It worked much better. The feelings went away. :shocked: I was first put on 50mg.. Unfortunately things had gotten worse recently and am now on 100mg. But still no thoughts and such. :bump: For what it's worth! James

Oh! I too had major headaches.

I was actually on Zoloft (among about 10 or more AD's over the course of my life) before being diagnosed BP, it took me about a week to get any nasty things like mania to occur. I also had the same thing happen on Paxil, you can say I'm one of those BP's that can't tolerate an AD at all.

Hopefully Gotta can handle them though. *Crosses fingers for luck* I hear it makes life much easier if you can take mood stabalizers and AD's. I wish I was one of the fortunate ones who could. It'd make this mixed mess a lot less painful...

I'm glad your mania was managed as quickly as it was James. It sounds like you have a pretty decent doc if he noticed that as fast as he did. Hellbutrin did the same thing to me, except I felt like I was on LSD for about a year because I had a crappy shrink, doc and pdoc who couldn't tell mania from their buttocks.

Btw :hearts: James!

Edited by Epic, 22 April 2006 - 04:46 PM.

So understand

#9 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

• 27,968 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:48 PM

GGG, how did your pdoc conversation go? was it of any help?

Epic, I am sensitive to meds. When the tried me on Lexapro, my blodd pressure dropped drastically-another side effect not listed in the PDR. So, yeah, maybe I do set precidences with meds. Hellbutrin did nothing for me, even at the maximum dose.

So far, after over a year, the Zoloft has given me good results. Needles-to-say, I am very pleased with it and the 3 stabilizers and other AD. They have kept me stable for a long time.
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

#10 brokenandscared

brokenandscared

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:10 PM

Ya! it was pretty decent for my doc. to notice as quick as he did. I was pretty scared at first. After all I've never had to be on any form of med for anything. As I have always pretty happy all the time. I still get scared at the thought of all these meds. My family was never any good at controlling there meds. Therefor there all pretty messed up and VERY dependent. So all this is very scary for me. Sort of depressing within it's self huh? Or am I just being paranoid?

New here so how do I go about beginning a new topic ex. "new here" under the newbie forum? I tried as I normally would and was told that I didn't have the permission? How do you guy's do it? :bump: Thanx :hearts: James

#11 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:56 PM

New here so how do I go about beginning a new topic ex. "new here" under the newbie forum? I tried as I normally would and was told that I didn't have the permission? How do you guy's do it? :bump: Thanx :hearts: James

You have to have 5 responses to threads to begin a new topic anywhere outside of the new members area. ;)

KA
Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#12 brokenandscared

brokenandscared

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:16 PM

You have to have 5 responses to threads to begin a new topic anywhere outside of the new members area. ;)

KA

Oh! thanks very much. I appreciate it. I was a little puzzled at first. Take care hope to talk moore soon!

Jim
:hearts:

#13 Guest_I am Cat_*

Guest_I am Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:45 PM

Welcome Jim....
Yes, once you get your 5 posts, you may start your own thread. WElcome to the DF!

I'm with EPIC on the AD thing... Unfortunately, I can't take any AD's either, so I have to rely on mood stabilizers myself... fortunately, Topamax and Abilify work wonders for me! *knocks on wood*

Zoloft worked more than 20 years ago, before I became bipolar, but when I tried it again about five years ago... I became manic! :bump: No wonder they say you can't come home again. :hearts:

LOL!

Good luck GGG! I hope things come around for you....

wishing you love and laughter,
Cat

#14 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:00 PM

GGG, how did your pdoc conversation go? was it of any help?

Epic, I am sensitive to meds. When the tried me on Lexapro, my blodd pressure dropped drastically-another side effect not listed in the PDR. So, yeah, maybe I do set precidences with meds. Hellbutrin did nothing for me, even at the maximum dose.

So far, after over a year, the Zoloft has given me good results. Needles-to-say, I am very pleased with it and the 3 stabilizers and other AD. They have kept me stable for a long time.

Man that is so strange Sheepie, at least the hellbutrin didn't spin you off and the zoloft is working. I envy those able to take AD's. I'd give a shaving of something very close to me to get rid of this stinking depression. The drop in blood pressure would have completely freaked me out. I'm sorry you had to go through that mess. :bump:

Do you notice a distinguishable difference in your depression with the AD's or do they just even you out and keep you in the middle and high ends?
So understand

#15 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:19 PM

Ya! it was pretty decent for my doc. to notice as quick as he did. I was pretty scared at first. After all I've never had to be on any form of med for anything. As I have always pretty happy all the time. I still get scared at the thought of all these meds. My family was never any good at controlling there meds. Therefor there all pretty messed up and VERY dependent. So all this is very scary for me. Sort of depressing within it's self huh? Or am I just being paranoid?

Don't worry you're not the only one here who hates to take new meds. I think my pdoc hates it when I have to switch because I stay hypo or manic for about a month or longer switching which is all my fault since I take it in lower doses than he recommends just to be "safe".

I'm in the same boat as Sheepie is when it comes to being sensitive to meds. The wellbutrin gave me so many side affects I couldn't even count them all and I'm pretty sure dissociating isn't one of them nor are body rush's or feeling like I had spiders crawling all over me. Of course you have those folks who can take almost anything. Just remember to always have access to your doc, keep all appts., get your blood work done as the doc asks you etc. and it won't be bad at all. Another thing to remember is most of the side effects supposedly only affect a very, very small percentage of people. :bump:

I think it's a good idea to never take a new med on a weekend since docs normally aren't having office hours on weekends and this hospital where I live I wouldn't take my dog to let alone myself if I did have a reaction (that is of course after asking the doc about it). <---That's me being paranoid after the hellbutrin experience. I'm not recommending doing this at all...it's just me being paranoid. :hearts:
So understand

#16 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:24 PM

No wonder they say you can't come home again. :shocked:

LOL!

Cat

We're hobos?? :hearts: Yeeeah that's the ticket!! (((((Cat))))) :shocked: :bump: :blush21:
So understand

#17 brokenandscared

brokenandscared

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:49 PM

Welcome Jim....
Yes, once you get your 5 posts, you may start your own thread. WElcome to the DF!

I'm with EPIC on the AD thing... Unfortunately, I can't take any AD's either, so I have to rely on mood stabilizers myself... fortunately, Topamax and Abilify work wonders for me! *knocks on wood*

Zoloft worked more than 20 years ago, before I became bipolar, but when I tried it again about five years ago... I became manic! :shocked: No wonder they say you can't come home again. :shocked:

LOL!

Good luck GGG! I hope things come around for you....

wishing you love and laughter,
Cat

I'm really sorry to hear about the bipolar situation. At this point I really fear of something like that coming of me. :bump: I couldn't imagine trying to balance something with that magnitude along with all the other crap! I have allot of respect for those of you dealing with this type of situations.

Jim :hearts:

#18 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

I'm really sorry to hear about the bipolar situation. At this point I really fear of something like that coming of me. :bump: I couldn't imagine trying to balance something with that magnitude along with all the other crap! I have allot of respect for those of you dealing with this type of situations.
Jim :hearts:

I think you're gonna win this race. :shocked: Just remember to work with your pdoc and T man. It makes alot more difference than just using a GP.

Wishing you and everyone else the best!
So understand

#19 brokenandscared

brokenandscared

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:42 PM

I think you're gonna win this race. :hearts: Just remember to work with your pdoc and T man. It makes alot more difference than just using a GP.

Wishing you and everyone else the best!

Sorry Epic to sound so stupid. But remember I'm new. What is T man or GP???

thanks for the encouragement! To keep crawling forward. But soo tired.

Jim

#20 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:23 PM

Sorry Epic to sound so stupid. But remember I'm new. What is T man or GP???

thanks for the encouragement! To keep crawling forward. But soo tired.

Jim

Oops, sorry. Therapist is a T, GP is a family doc, Pdoc is a Shrink. Btw you didn't sound stupid, everyone new here asks the same question. Sometimes I just forget...alot. :hearts:
So understand

#21 GottaGetaGrip

GottaGetaGrip

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:27 AM

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for all of your responses. I spoke to my pdoc and he said unless I get like I did with the WB to continue throught the weekend and check in on Monday (today). I seem to be doing well, although I am a little scared that mania might be creeping up on me. I had tons more energy this weekend than I usually do, and got out of the house and did a lot! My DH (darling husband, not sure how y'all refer to your spouses) loved it, since he is alway trying to get me to go out and do things.

We had friends over to the house Saturday and Sunday. Friday we went to the drive in, and Saturday we watched the sunset at the beach (Central Coast, CA BEAUTIFUL):) Now usually, after having company I would be no good for anything. I would be lucky to clean up after everyone before plopping down on the couch. Granted I am usually incredibly depressed, so I may just be returning to normal. I had some minor insomnia last night, so I don't know what to make of that. I was scrubbing bathrooms till midnight last night (but I sleep in on the weekends, so that could be why I was still wide awake).

So I am carefully watching for synptoms of mania, and if I don't sleep well tonight I think I will call the pdoc. After 9-10 hour work days I NEVER have trouble falling right to sleep (unless I'm manic) so that should give a good indication.

OKAY IM DONE RAMBLING, BOTTOM LINE I AM FEELING MUCH BETTER, AND WE WILL SEE SOON IF THE ZOLOFT IS TRULY THE KEY!

#22 brokenandscared

brokenandscared

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:57 AM

Oops, sorry. Therapist is a T, GP is a family doc, Pdoc is a Shrink. Btw you didn't sound stupid, everyone new here asks the same question. Sometimes I just forget...alot. :shocked:

Ahaa! Now I'm on the same page. :hearts: Ya I was at first seeing a T and GP But i had to move suddenly to take care of the my boys that were left behind along with I. So I'm waiting for my transfer to go threw. Then I can continue with work and also see a new T and GP. But ya I really need that as I think I'm going crazy at times! :bump: please take care evryone.
James :wave:

#23 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

• 27,968 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:17 PM

GGG<
That is good news that the Zoloft is giving you a hand with your depression. I take mine when I get up (around 6AM) and have not had trouble sleeping at night. I do have irregular sleep patterns which have been under control for almost a year. However, when I forgot and took the Zoloft later in the day, I had trouble sleeping no matter what. You have much more energy from it than you had before. I doubt that you are manic. You just want to do things you let slide while you were depressed. And you did say you wanted out of that hole! I am hoping that all goes well for you from this point forward. Congratulations!
Sheepwoman

#24 GottaGetaGrip

GottaGetaGrip

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

Honestly, I really do feel great! And I am hoping (and thinking) that you are right. I'm not getting manic, just getting out of that hole. Since you mention it, I did take the Zoloft really late in the day yesterday (like 3pm) so that could be why I couldn't sleep. My pdoc did say I had to take it in the morning.

He said he might slowly increase my dose since I generally am very depressed, and rarely manic. I know I used to have a lot of energy, and I wasn't depressed of manic. I am glad to be getting some of that old self back, and I have started several new projects around the house, and have finally getting out and spent time with friends. I have a good feeling about my new pdoc, and I think this is the start of some relief from my symptoms! It feels great!

#25 SchroedingersCat

SchroedingersCat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:59 PM

Hello to the new folks! I'm glad you found us. There are a lot of great people here who will give you lots of support when you need it. So, don't be shy. Just jump right in!

I've never taken Zoloft, but I have taken several other ADs and without exception they made me manic eventually. Hellbutrin was the absolute worst of them all for me. It took about two days before I became manic in a dysphoric kinda way and just wanted to throttle somebody. Not fun.

The pdoc finally figured out that I can't take ADs at all. I do take Lamictal which is a mood stabilizer with antidepressant properties. It seems to help somewhat without sending me off on the manic rollercoaster.
SC Posted Image

#26 GottaGetaGrip

GottaGetaGrip

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

It almost scares me to feel great. Every time I feel good I end up being manic. It's one extreme or the other with me. COuld this really be it, the middle ground I have been searching for?

One more thing...do AD's in general give any of you bad headaches? Hellbutrin did it to me, and now I have another terrible headache, and I am hoping it isn't from the Zoloft, since it seems to be working miracles. Is this common, will it go away?

Edited by GottaGetaGrip, 24 April 2006 - 02:18 PM.

#27 brokenandscared

brokenandscared

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

It almost scares me to feel great. Every time I feel good I end up being manic. It's one extreme or the other with me. COuld this really be it, the middle ground I have been searching for?

One more thing...do AD's in general give any of you bad headaches? Hellbutrin did it to me, and now I have another terrible headache, and I am hoping it isn't from the Zoloft, since it seems to be working miracles. Is this common, will it go away?

Hmmmm, I had major headaches with Zoloft. But I haven't with trazodone yet.
James :wave:

#28 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:00 PM

Honestly, I really do feel great! And I am hoping (and thinking) that you are right. I'm not getting manic, just getting out of that hole. Since you mention it, I did take the Zoloft really late in the day yesterday (like 3pm) so that could be why I couldn't sleep. My pdoc did say I had to take it in the morning.

He said he might slowly increase my dose since I generally am very depressed, and rarely manic. I know I used to have a lot of energy, and I wasn't depressed of manic. I am glad to be getting some of that old self back, and I have started several new projects around the house, and have finally getting out and spent time with friends. I have a good feeling about my new pdoc, and I think this is the start of some relief from my symptoms! It feels great!

Congratulations! :bump: !!!!!!! I know if I start feeling well, I freak out lmbo. What a life huh? It sounds like you had a good time though, I'm really happy for you! :hearts:
So understand

#29 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

• 27,968 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:06 PM

The middle ground to wellness? I think so. I haven't had such feelings of normalcy and have lots more energy from the Zoloft and Imipramine. I do not heve the manic highs nor the deep depression. I can truly say I am on that middle ground and very happy to be there. Like the rollercoaster has stopped. Check out the information slip given to you by the pharmacy or ask your doctor about the headaches. I had none, but that doesn't mean headaches are not a temporary side effect as you get used to the AD. If your headaches are severe and continuos, I would definitely talk to my pdoc regarding this side effect-especially if you have not had headaches before taking this med.

Happy to hear that you are improving with the Zoloft in combination with the lamictal.
Sheepwoman

#30 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:13 PM

[quote name='GottaGetaGrip' date='Apr 24 2006, 03:08 PM' post='110179']

/quote]

I had a headache for about two weeks with Lexapro and then it went away. Hope yours goes away too!

ka

#31 GottaGetaGrip

GottaGetaGrip

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

Question, could the Zoloft become less effective after about a week of taking it? I still feel 1000X better than I did before I started it, but I don't feel as good as I did when I first started. I am only taking 25 mg, and my doc said we might increase it if we need to, so maybe that's what needs to be done?

Anyone had this experience, and did it help to increase the dose?

#32 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:38 PM

Question, could the Zoloft become less effective after about a week of taking it? I still feel 1000X better than I did before I started it, but I don't feel as good as I did when I first started. I am only taking 25 mg, and my doc said we might increase it if we need to, so maybe that's what needs to be done?

Anyone had this experience, and did it help to increase the dose?

I wish I could be of some help Triple G but my experience with AD's are horrible. Sheepie maybe on soon though or you could PM her and she might have an answer. Then again a definitive answer would be to call your doc.

I'm just glad you're feeling much better than you have been feeling. =D
So understand

#33 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

• 27,968 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:53 AM

GGG,
25mg is the lowest dose of Zoloft. Stepping up the dose is probably wise until you get to the optimal and most effective dose of 150mg. I am on 100mg as at 150 I was experiencing a side effect not listed in the PDR. I think your doc is right in increasing the dose. One week is not long enough nor is the low dose to fully get the effects of Zoloft. The pdoc in the hospital had me on a quick step up program in the 4 weeks I was there. It wasn't until about the 6th week that the full benefit of this med was truly felt. It was like a great weight was taken off of me. I was and still am able to function at a higher level and only have some small dips in mood that last a day or two.
Sheepwoman

#34 GottaGetaGrip

GottaGetaGrip

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:00 PM

Thanks sheep. I will talk to my doc about stepping it up. I have an appt on Monday. I have also been experiencing fatigue in the afternoons that wasn't presentin the first week of taking it. I feel like it helped at first but now it's not quite enough?! Ironically I couldn't sleep last night, so I don't know what that was about! We'll see how the next few days go, and I will talk to my doc.

#35 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

• 27,968 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:33 AM

Let us know how your appointment goes. I know about the sudden surge and then getting tired in the afternoon.
Sheepwoman

#36 car523

car523

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:35 PM

My experience with Zoloft was the worst I ever had. I was conservative and started at 12.5 mg a day instead of 25mg b/c I am very sensitive to meds. I wasn't on a mood stabalizer at the time. Day one, I felt great. Day two, I felt amazing. Day three--I was on Jupiter. Fortunately, I had read about Bipolar II, and realized that this reaction to an AD was almost a sure-fire diagnosis. I called my Dr. and said so, and she said, no, no, we just need to get you on another AD. Then she called back the next day, said she had spoken to the staff pychaistrist, and--yep--it was a diagnosis for Bipolar II. Freaked me out so bad, I stayed off all meds for a while, but now (two years later) I am functioning well on 250 mg a day of Depakote, 100mg of Tryptophan, and a little Klonopin thrown in as needed. (I tried Wellbutrin for a while in conjuction with the Depakote, but it petered out...find the Trytophan works better for me).

I also do a lot of lifestyle stuff to stay stable...

But--Zoloft: never again!!!!!

#37 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

• 27,968 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:07 PM

GGG<
How are you doing? How was your pdoc appointment?
Sheepwoman

#38 GottaGetaGrip

GottaGetaGrip

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:09 PM

My appointment went well. THe doc is hesitant to up the dose as of yet because he said I had a wonderful reaction to a micro dose of Zoloft. Meaning that if we step it up it might be just enough to make me manic again. So we are meeting in a couple of weeks to see how I'm doing.

I have been having some trouble with someting I don't feel comfortable talking to my doctor (or anyone) about. It seems that since I have been taking these medications I have been having some strange thoughts and feelings. Not suicidal or anything like that. Also, I have been incredibly paranoid. I don't know if it is or even could be a result of the medication (Zoloft and Lamictal), bipolar, or something else. It is kind of starting to freak me out, and I am thinking I need to find the courage to talk to my doctor about it, but it is pretty embarassing. I don't know if I am over reacting, I mean could this really be related???

Anyone who had/has this trouble with meds let me know, so at least I will know what is causing it.

Thanks

#39 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

My appointment went well. THe doc is hesitant to up the dose as of yet because he said I had a wonderful reaction to a micro dose of Zoloft. Meaning that if we step it up it might be just enough to make me manic again. So we are meeting in a couple of weeks to see how I'm doing.

I have been having some trouble with someting I don't feel comfortable talking to my doctor (or anyone) about. It seems that since I have been taking these medications I have been having some strange thoughts and feelings. Not suicidal or anything like that. Also, I have been incredibly paranoid. I don't know if it is or even could be a result of the medication (Zoloft and Lamictal), bipolar, or something else. It is kind of starting to freak me out, and I am thinking I need to find the courage to talk to my doctor about it, but it is pretty embarassing. I don't know if I am over reacting, I mean could this really be related???

Anyone who had/has this trouble with meds let me know, so at least I will know what is causing it.

Thanks

I'm not on Zoloft, but what you are describing with uncomfortable thoughts and paranoia could be hypomania. Sheepwoman's input here would be great.

I think you should speak with your doc. If you don't think you can talk to your doc, could you write it down and let him read it? Odds are that no matter how strange these thoughts or how embarrassing you think they might be, he's probably heard them before from a patient. And he is trained to respond to whatever you tell him professionally and confidentially. He's not there to judge you--he's there to help you feel better. :hearts: So often we think that we are the only one going through something, only to find out that so many of us have similar issues. Try to keep your focus on getting well, rather than a few possibly uncomfortable minutes talking to your doc, ok? He can't be fully helpful if you don't tell him how you are feeling.

Could we help you figure out how to talk to him?

KA

#40 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

• 27,968 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:57 AM

Have you ever had paranoia before taking Lamictal and Zoloft. You could be actually having anxiety issues with taking either or both of the meds. My paranoia happened way before taking these meds. I felt I was constantly being watched or spied upon by my bosses and coworkers. It was completely delusional thinking on my part. I even carried this way of thinking home and thought they could spy on me there. I know this sounds really stupid, I would actually hide from the UPS man! I have since overcome the delusional thinking with the help of new meds and therapy. It's best to live in the present and not in the past or future. That is what I have learned. Also, paranoia at its best only causes more problems than what its really worth. Your pdoc will not be surprized to learn of your paranoia. He is there to help you. Don't worry if you will shock him; he has heard many a story and yours will be taken with sincerity.
Sheepwoman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users