Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LaVieEnRose

Unemployment Benefits For Depression, Anxiety Sufferers?

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

Does anyone know if there are unemployment benefits for persons suffering from depression and anxiety within the state of new york? I am currently on leave from my job due to clinical depression and anxiety. I haven't lived here for very long and don't have the same resources I once had in a different state. Any information, websites, phone numbers, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Hi LaVieEnRose and :welcomeani: to Df,

Sorry I cannot answer your question as I only know the UK system.

People in the UK cannot get a disability benefit with depression, but like any other unemployed person they are entitled to unemployment benefits. .

Some member will know the US system and post here soon.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Posted

Unemployment benefits commence when you file a claim after you've been terminated from your employer. Normally there's a 2-week waiting period for benefits to begin-unless your former employer disputes your claim. If you voluntarily leave your job, you are ineligible for unemployment benefits. Since you are currently on leave from work, check with the state to see if there's short term disability available. If you are totally disabled by your mental illness and cannot work, you may be able to file for disability income from your state or via SSI.

Check the phone book under city, county or state government sections for mental health help offices. They can answer your questions and point you in the right direction for help.

Sheepwoman