Jump to content

  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.


Unemployment Benefits For Depression, Anxiety Sufferers?

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LaVieEnRose


    Just Registered

    ID: 51226

  • Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

Does anyone know if there are unemployment benefits for persons suffering from depression and anxiety within the state of new york? I am currently on leave from my job due to clinical depression and anxiety. I haven't lived here for very long and don't have the same resources I once had in a different state. Any information, websites, phone numbers, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!


#2 jimbow15


    Platinum Member

    ID: 35694

  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,390 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK and Ireland

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

Hi LaVieEnRose and :welcomeani: to Df,

Sorry I cannot answer your question as I only know the UK system.

People in the UK cannot get a disability benefit with depression, but like any other unemployed person they are entitled to unemployment benefits. .

Some member will know the US system and post here soon.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 Sheepwoman



    ID: 637

  • Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,201 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Santa Rosa CA

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

Unemployment benefits commence when you file a claim after you've been terminated from your employer. Normally there's a 2-week waiting period for benefits to begin-unless your former employer disputes your claim. If you voluntarily leave your job, you are ineligible for unemployment benefits. Since you are currently on leave from work, check with the state to see if there's short term disability available. If you are totally disabled by your mental illness and cannot work, you may be able to file for disability income from your state or via SSI.

Check the phone book under city, county or state government sections for mental health help offices. They can answer your questions and point you in the right direction for help.
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users