Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Anyone Have Insomnia On Celexa ? Did It Go Away ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 over thinker

over thinker

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:31 AM

4 weeks on a low dose 10mg and im suffering insomnia from this drug.

Thinking of giving up.

Anyone have insomnia at the beginning and it went away ?

Thanks
I used to be idecisive, but now i'm not sure

#2 toots_83

toots_83

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:57 AM

4 weeks on a low dose 10mg and im suffering insomnia from this drug.

Thinking of giving up.

Anyone have insomnia at the beginning and it went away ?

Thanks

Welcome to the club!! I am suffering bad with my insomnia. I have just upped my dose to 15mg and experience a bit more problems. Look at my post. You are not alone for sure.

#3 henrithecat

henrithecat

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

I have bad insomnia still after 4 weeks on 15mg Lexapro - my psychiatrist gave me Trazodone for sleep and I think it works great for me. I just take 1/2 a pill because they are pretty strong, but I don't feel awful the next day. Something to maybe ask your doctor about? I hope you sleep soon :)
I'm on a roll this time. I feel my luck could change.

#4 over thinker

over thinker

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

I have bad insomnia still after 4 weeks on 15mg Lexapro - my psychiatrist gave me Trazodone for sleep and I think it works great for me. I just take 1/2 a pill because they are pretty strong, but I don't feel awful the next day. Something to maybe ask your doctor about? I hope you sleep soon :)

Thanks

I tried Lexapro a few years back and slept OK. I think Celexa and Lexapro, although similar, give different results.

Regarding Trazodone, the Doctors in the UK aren't that good at augmenting with other ADs and tend to give out Benzos for sleep which I don't like using.

Good luck

OT

Edited by over thinker, 04 August 2010 - 04:32 PM.

I used to be idecisive, but now i'm not sure

#5 toots_83

toots_83

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

Thanks

I tried Lexapro a few years back and slept OK. I think Celexa and Lexapro, although similar, give different results.

Regarding Trazodone, the Doctors in the UK aren't that good at augmenting with other ADs and tend to give out Benzos for sleep which I don't like using.

Good luck

OT

My doctor gave me Ativan and something called Zopiclone. It's a sleeping pill but I am afraid to use it. I don't know much about it. But the one time I did use it I cut a little corner of it and took it. It tastes soooo bad. I slept for 12 hours straight and still felt groggy. Anyone know about this pill?? Should I try Melatonin?

#6 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

Hi,

Yes I had insomnia for about 5 months and it did ease off in time. I sleep normally now and I am on 40mg.

Best Wishes

Jim bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#7 opalita

opalita

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

Hi,

Yes I had insomnia for about 5 months and it did ease off in time. I sleep normally now and I am on 40mg.

Best Wishes

Jim bow

I am *so* glad to hear this. I was on Celexa last year and i slept great, but got on something else over the summer, while searching yet again for an antidepressant that didn't cause side effects. Long story short, I ended up on Celexa again--day 27 on a smaller dose this time--20 mg. I feel pretty good now, but have had to take something for sleep for the past 3 weeks. I want things to be like they were before on Celexa--sleeping really well. When I got on it last time I didn't have insomnia. Not sure why. I tell myself "when you are ready to get off the sleep aid, you will"--I sure hope that is true!

#8 jb_alphamale

jb_alphamale

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

Same problem here. Almost 4 weeks on Cipralex and insomnia is actually my only serious SE. My doctor gave me traz (in week 3, start - 0.25 mg) and it works fine. Hang on there and if it's getting even worse go back to your doc and ask for help. Do not give up after 4 weeks of effort. As you heard from others it is going to improve over time. Your brain is now in adapting mode. Read more on this forum about insomnia related to AD's and you will get an idea about how it works but remember, everybody is different!!

#9 Alex925

Alex925

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:39 AM

I just started on Celexa about 10 days ago and I'm having bad insomnia. I started another thread about it under the main depression forum. I'm going to call my doctor today because I need to sleep in order to function at work.
You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ******* khakis.

#10 samuelle

samuelle

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:16 AM

Yeah i had i quite bad, went away once i stopped taking it.

#11 Alex86

Alex86

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

I went to a psychiatrist 2 weeks ago because for the last 9 months I couldn't sleep all night only when I have to go to work next day. I only worked 3-4 days a week and on every other night than my "work night" I literally slept like a baby.
My diagnosis was mild depression and anxiety and she put me on Celexa 10 mg for the first week and then after that 20 mg. She also prescribed Ambien, but only on nights when I can't sleep.
My first week on Celexa was fine, I was waking up at night but only for a couple of minutes. I took Ambien couple of times but since it makes me a little bit spaced out at 6'o clock when I have to go to work, I stopped taking it. I had a headache every morning after celexa for a week. Then if went away. When I tried to increase my dose to 20 mg of Celexa I felt really bad for 2 days and I just stayed on my 10mg dose. After 10 days of taking Celexa I am sleeping much better on the nights when I have to get up and go to work in the morning, but I keep waking up every night, sometimes at 2 am, sometimes 3am, usually after 3-4 hrs of sleep. Sometimes I can go back to sleep, but sometimes I just lay in bed until it's time to get up.
Does anybody have similar experiences? Is it safe to stop taking the medication, I want to see if I'm going to sleep normally again? I don't really feel depressed...

#12 Alex925

Alex925

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

I had insomnia because my doctor told me take the pills at night before bed. When I told him I couldn't sleep, he said I could take it in the morning. Now I can sleep normally most of the time.
You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ******* khakis.

#13 nannap

nannap

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

I having some insomnia and I was not sure if I could take the Ambien with the Citalopram at nighttime. Waking up with the hot flushed feelings in hands and feet! Mornings are not so great when I am very jittery. Only day 2 on 20 mg. of Citalopram for anxiety and hoping things improve. Any advise would be appreciated!

#14 LosingHope

LosingHope

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

I'm on 60mg of Celexa and I have horrible insomnia. I seriously only sleep about 3/4 hrs a day if even that. It's rough. I've been given several different sleeping pills- Ambian, Lunesta and some other one. None really seem to help. But Celexa is the only medication that has really seemed to help me so far with my anxiety.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users