Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Fluoxetine And Nytol?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 steffialexa

steffialexa

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

I've got pretty bad insomnia at the moment and am on 20mg fluoxetine a day and was wondering if I'm safe to take 2 Nytol pills (the recommended dose)? I bought them when I was on citalopram and the pharmacist told me to take just 1 because the citalopram should already make me feel sleepy. I'm just really fed up of not being able to sleep! Though how much help Nytol will be remains to be seen...

#2 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

Hi steffialexa,

I have no heard of any contra indicators for taking Nytol and any SSRI med. I do not believe it has any active ingredients that affect Prozac.

Do ask you Doctor though just to check.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#3 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,603 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

Prozac is an "energizing" AD for most people and should be taken in the morning. I found taking it after 10AM, I would be awake all night. Confer with your pdoc in regards to your insomnia and ask if taking Nytol would be appropriate.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#4 steffialexa

steffialexa

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:02 PM

Hi steffialexa,

I have no heard of any contra indicators for taking Nytol and any SSRI med. I do not believe it has any active ingredients that affect Prozac.

Do ask you Doctor though just to check.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Okay, thanks. I'll ask my GP/psychiatrist when I next see one of them if this carries on.

Prozac is an "energizing" AD for most people and should be taken in the morning. I found taking it after 10AM, I would be awake all night. Confer with your pdoc in regards to your insomnia and ask if taking Nytol would be appropriate.
Sheepwoman

Ah, okay, I wasn't told that when I was prescribed it. I don't think I've taken it earlier than about 10AM before as I've had mild insomnia for as long as I can remember and it's only gotten worse with the depression (add in a fear of sleeping and you have quite the fun mix(!)) so am rarely up before then now that school's finished. I'll set an alarm to go off and take it earlier, see if that works.

Thanks again!

#5 steffialexa

steffialexa

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:03 AM

For the past few days I've tried taking fluoxetine between 5am and 7am. It's made no difference. It's now 2pm and I still haven't gone to sleep, I just can't. I'm guessing this probably isn't down to the medication TBH, but my doctor's going to know very soon because it's driving me insane!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users