Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Citalopram And Amitriptyline Together?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

I am unsure if this is just a coincidence or not but I have had a lot of head tension, chest tightness, neck tension. and just feel like I am struggling to take a breath. I know that people have taken these 2 meds at the same time so I am guess it is ok. I am on 30mg of citalopram and 50mg of Amitriptyline. Does anyone know if this is ok? I just can't believe all the head tension I have and other than the 3 bowls of soup I had for dinner yesterday (possibly full of MSG which I am sensitive too) I don't know what else is causing me so much head tension.
The Guy. - Love is patient, love is kind, love never fails.

#2 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

I am just going to note that I called Telehealth here in Canada and they suggested an ambulance come. They came and tested my heart and my blood pressure which was all fine. I don't understand why I have been having this feeling most of today except that I attended an eviction hearing this morning and that was a bit anxiety provoking. I have been very stressed lately but I don't recall having all this tension for this amount of time. Oh the air here is also very stale and muggy. I am glad my heart is ok and my blood pressure too. I am so embarrassed the ambulance had to come if this was only prolonged anxiety or panic, but I tell you it is very uncomfortable and lights are very bright to me right now. This just feels too weird right now because I don't recall having panic prolonged most of the day.

#3 AngelOfTheMoor

AngelOfTheMoor

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

I guess the combo is okay, if the doctor prescribed it for you.

However, just because it's fine for others doesn't mean it's fine for you. Everyone is different, and meds affect people in disparate ways. Perhaps you should discuss your concerns about the combo with the doctor? He/she could probably tell you if it's possible that the combo is causing your head tension.

Don't be sorry that an ambulance was sent. You were in a bad state at the time, and it's always nice to know that your blood pressure and heart rate are good. The eviction meeting does sound stressful; I can understand how that could set off anxiety. Take care. :shocked:

#4 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

Hi,

I would not worry about calling for medical assistance, your needed to be checked out and you were advised as well.

It may be you are so stressed about a lot of things. Did the citalopram have any good effects, the added Amitriptyline I assume is a recent addition, has this addition had much impact on you yet.

I would be interested to know how you are reacting to this combination and did the Citalopram have much effect over the weeks you were on it alone.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#5 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

I guess the combo is okay, if the doctor prescribed it for you.

However, just because it's fine for others doesn't mean it's fine for you. Everyone is different, and meds affect people in disparate ways. Perhaps you should discuss your concerns about the combo with the doctor? He/she could probably tell you if it's possible that the combo is causing your head tension.

Don't be sorry that an ambulance was sent. You were in a bad state at the time, and it's always nice to know that your blood pressure and heart rate are good. The eviction meeting does sound stressful; I can understand how that could set off anxiety. Take care. :shocked:

I have confirmed this combo to be ok from 2 psychiatrists and 2 doctors so I guess it is ok. Actually that day I was really stressed out I was afraid to take the 50mg of Amitriptyline. I prayed and did it anyway. Well I eventually went to sleep and woke up rested and relaxed. So I now know and am content to know that the meds are ok. I still get an unfamiliar tension or knot is what it feels like in the back of my head by my occipitals. I massage my neck and occipitals as much as I can and I feel ok. I am suspecting the coke and/or wheat I had or the darn unknown soup broth (MSG) had messed with my chemicals lol and so the muscles back there all spazzed out on me. Well I have not had any major problem with that area since. I have eaten a bit of wheat but mostly fruit and veggies and protein like fish and I have been ok. I did have a couple tea's this morning though and I can feel myself a little shaky and a little tension in the occiput area as usual but I am ok. My family doctor has ordered an MRI (don't know the date yet) to ensure everything is ok back there. It very well could be muscle spasms or some spine misplacement which somehow flares up when I have stressed it too much.

I feel great today! I had my first 2.5mg of zyprexa with my Amitriptyline yesterday night. I slept like a baby and woke up this morning a bit mucousy but felt rested. I have already taken my citalopram and I am fine. I can't wait to get back to work and I can get a massage so my occipitals can be worked on .. I do though, get a bit dizzy when I feel the tension back there so that is also why I am getting the MRI done. I hope it is nothing serious. I will keep praying. Thank you for your response :)

#6 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hi,

I would not worry about calling for medical assistance, your needed to be checked out and you were advised as well.

It may be you are so stressed about a lot of things. Did the citalopram have any good effects, the added Amitriptyline I assume is a recent addition, has this addition had much impact on you yet.

I would be interested to know how you are reacting to this combination and did the Citalopram have much effect over the weeks you were on it alone.

Best Wishes

Hi Jimbow, as I stated above the amitriptyline actually helped calm me down and I got some good sleep. I do though seem to have some kind of muscle knot or spasm in my occipital area that when throbbing I get dizzy a bit. I have it now but it is not painful. I actually think it is a trapped lymph node because I can feel it releasing sometimes. That is what it feels like anyway. My psych has added zyprexa 2.5mg to my drug mix and today I feel really awesome! I almost feel like I can conquer the world .... at my own pace of course :) I wonder why panic attacks have to feel like a heart attack? Did God intend for us to pay money for ambulance calls every time we had one? lol Why does God want us to be broke? We suffer enough. Anyway, I am just kidding about the God stuff but I would have rather had the panic attack feel like a sprained ankle or something lol As if eh?

I think the citalopram is doing something but that day the citalopram I took didn't really help because my head was still in spasm and my chest was still tight the same evening. I am sticking to the fact that my diet is still not perfect for me and probably caused some of the tension I had. I am still suspecting MSG from the soup the night before which was not out of my system until a day later or it was the coke. It might sound strange to say that but I have suspected MSG and coke/pepsi/caffeine to have a drastic affect on me for quite a long time but my cravings sometimes keep me from excluding it from my diet at times. I am still working on my diet and I am vouching not to ever have pizza, coke, pepsi, or coffee ever again. I am still testing regular tea and green tea. I am also trying to eat more fruits and veggies.

I think the citalopram was helping a bit over all but my moods were still going from being down to anxious. It worked in the past though. I could perhaps have gotten a lot worse since February and maybe that is why it is taking so long to work.

Jim Bow

#7 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:26 PM

Hi,

Glad to hear the combination is giving you a good response.

Hope to hear in time that you are getting much better, could use some of that "I almost feel like I can conquer the world" feeling myself!

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#8 Violet31

Violet31

• Platinum Member
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

(((((Theguy))))

I saw this only today. I take both Citalopram and Amitryptilin and that combo is working out great for me.

Glad to see that your combination worked out. :)
When you´re going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Viktor Frankl

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Use adversity      Declare Independence 

Violet :rose:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users