Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Remeron / Mirtazapine And Male Libido

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 twixtwix25

twixtwix25

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

Hi folks
I have been on Remeron / mirtazapine for 6 months now and although I have more or less good things to say about the med, I have noticed that my libido has just about disappeared. I have done a lot of scouring on the internet and it seems as though that isn't much of an issue for most men out there. Have any of you had any issues with this?
Many thanks and best to all!

#2 Girly

Girly

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:42 AM

Hi folks
I have been on Remeron / mirtazapine for 6 months now and although I have more or less good things to say about the med, I have noticed that my libido has just about disappeared. I have done a lot of scouring on the internet and it seems as though that isn't much of an issue for most men out there. Have any of you had any issues with this?

Hi there twixtwix25,

Sorry to hear that you're struggling with your libido. I'm afraid that I'm not going to be able to answer your questions though, although I am sure you'll receive some input from the guys on here.

Take good care,

Girly
Girly

"No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou

Diagnosis - Borderline Personality Disorder. Meds - citalopram and olanzapine.

#3 X-ray

X-ray

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:24 AM

Hi folks

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your sexual problems,
but I don't think that Remeron is the culprit.

I switched from Elavil to Remeron three years ago.
My sex drive increased after this switch.

Remeron and Wellbutrin are two antidepressants,
which don't have a negative impact on libido.

Best regards,
X-ray

#4 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:48 AM

Hi twixtwix25,

This is a general problems for a lot of people on ADs, SSRI/SNRI etc, the amount of posts we get about drug side effects, loss of libido is the prominent one in posts from men.

Initially I had an increase of libido which lasted for 6 months and then it went downhill. I have changed SSRI meds several times and it has not go any better.

Do talk to your Doctor about this he might be able to prescribe something to help, but it is a real problem with taken ADs for some men.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Edited by jimbow15, 30 June 2010 - 09:49 AM.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#5 Ricardo

Ricardo

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

Hi folks

Hi twix - sorry about your difficulty but I think it might be due to something other than mirtazapine.

The main reason I switched from paxil to remeron was because my libido was zero on paxil. 6 months into remeron 30mg I can say that this is no longer a problem - the relief is huge - desire & performance are back to normal (for a 48 y/o married man...) . Remeron is working very nicely at the moment and I can live with the extra 5 or 6 kilos.

#6 North_to_South

North_to_South

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

Hi there Twix.

I agree with you on this one. My libido definitely went downhill after starting this AD (Mirtz.) My PDoc also said that is a very common occurence. For me the libido was mainly affected, not really the performance side of things, although sex somehow never "felt the same" after being on this AD (I am married, male, late thirties). This is the only AD I have been on since 9months back, and I take no other medication, so I am 99% sure Mirtz. is to blame in my case...

North

#7 twixtwix25

twixtwix25

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

Thanks all. Interestingly I have none of the other sexual side affects that I encountered on other SSRIs (delayed ejaculation etc), just zero interest in sex. Bizarre.

In any case, there is a bit more to this story than I let on in my original post. I was actually on Celexa for many years but I figured I should give Remeron a go since I had heard it was sexual-side-affect free. However very shortly after starting Remeron (and discontinuing Celexa) I noticed my libido plummeted. In hindsight though I am pretty certain that this is because I went into a state of mild to at times severe depression. In other words I think the Remeron was simply not a great anti-depressant for me (although it calmed my anxiety very well). I am now pretty certain that this is the case since I started taking Celexa again about a month ago and over the last little while I have noticed my libido returning quite nicely. It appears that my mood, which was simply not elevated enough on Remeron, was perhaps what a major cause of my dip in libido. I am now taking 45mg of Remeron and 20mg of Celexa and this combination seems to be working out quite nicely (short of the rabid appetite and the 10hr nights of sleep).

All that being said it's interesting that others have noticed a dip in libido since starting Remeron. North_to_South it would appear that if affects some people differently than others.

#8 Girly

Girly

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:30 AM

Hi twixtwix25,

It is great to hear that the (remeron/Celexa conbination working for you. You're right most ADs have different reactions to different people which is why it is often a case of trial and error.

I know I take Celexa (I only took remeron berifly) and the side effects for Celexa, includes common, reduced libido and problems with orgasms (men and women). it also has uncommon side effect of increased desire for sex!

I hope the new combo continues to work well for you,

GIrly
Girly

"No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou

Diagnosis - Borderline Personality Disorder. Meds - citalopram and olanzapine.

#9 houns339

houns339

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

I had increased libido for a few months and now it's decreased. As I'm single I'm not really bothered, I do feel really depressed again though. I just hope it passes.

#10 DivideByZero

DivideByZero

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

@OP:

I have taken mirtazapine a couple of times and I'm now in a taper to stop taking it. It completely devastated my libido... sure I couldn't climax on SSRI's but at least I had a libido with them. For me the w/d from mirtazapine is also one of the worst I've ever experienced. I dropped from 30 to 15 ok and from 15 to 7.5 ok but have been doing 7.5 eod to speed this s*** up since I have classes starting in a tad over a month and this insomnia is ******* me. No appetite, no libido, insomnia, nausea, headaches, muscle twitching, and anxiety through the rough coupled with heart palpitations.

Similar to alcohol/benzo dependence I feel that ime starting this drug after stopping causes a wind-up effect making it less effective and the w/d more pronounced. Or it could just cause such profound changes in the brain I never fully recovered in the off months... who knows? It made me an emotionless zombie at even 15mg a day. Seriously, I would rage in the car and think about ******* people without batting an eye. I lost my humanity on this crap.

I can say that when you're off the libido returns slowly, and physical exercise helps speed the process. I've also had bloodwork done and my testosterone levels were good as was everything else so it is certainly something it does to the brain.

Bad stuff. Wish I never went back on it... sadly there is nothing that helps my insomnia and I believe it to be hereditary.

#11 whereto

whereto

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

I have been on Mirtazapine (Remeron) for over 2 years, and in that time I have had a very thin libido...

For several years I had no interest in sex at all - it became a dispassionate abstraction that I chalked up to some personality disorder or something of the like.

I can feel the Remeron all day when I'm on it. I know it's there, protecting me from those all-too-familiar subterranean tempests of anxiety and dread. I don't know for certain whether my libido has been affected by Remeron's numbing effects, but it wouldn't surprise me.

#12 Ricardo

Ricardo

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

Hi,

One of the main reasons I switched from Paxil to Remeron was in order to save my libido which was really low on Paxil. Low libido = poor "performance" = increased anxiety/depression. Things are much better with Remeron, not highly driven but the interest is there and the thing works.
There are other factors which can affect libido - alcohol, fatigue, relationship issues, middle age.

#13 flavadave

flavadave

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

"Please PM Member for Link"

This link says that decreased libido is experienced by at least 1% of people who take Remeron.

Edited by Trace, 07 January 2011 - 04:52 AM.
Link Removed as per TOS

#14 Bradoonee

Bradoonee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

I don't think Mirtazapine has killed my libido. I think depression did though. I think sadly I wasn't given Mirtazapine to start with otherwise I think I would have been pretty okay. The Doctors here in the UK gave me some garbage drug called Sertraline (aka Zoloft). That pile of horse dung never helped my depression and each time I had a down period I slowly got worse.

Mirtazapine has been a life saver though but should have been given to me in the start.

SSRIs for depression are just lethal in my opinion. Mirtazapine on the other hand gets a massive thumbs up for me ... its just a shame I didn't start it earlier as it would have been the wonder drug!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users