Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Anxiety And Napping

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hkc9591

hkc9591

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

I know this is going to sound like a really weird question. I am battling anxiety and depression. When I lie down for a nap my anxiety seems to intensify. Most of the time I can't nap during the day because I start thinking of everything I'm anxious about. Is there something about the horizontal position that heightens the feelings of anxiety? Anyone else experience this?

#2 hkc9591

hkc9591

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

It's like my stomach gets butterflies and does flip flops and I have to get up because I get so depressed.

#3 jgillen

jgillen

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

I understand this perfectly! The ironic thing is, what I want to do MOST in the world at that particular time is go to sleep...so I can get a break from the yukky feelings.

#4 bsphil

bsphil

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:41 PM

You end up getting anxious because when you're lying down trying to fall asleep, you have nothing but free time to mull over all of the stressors in your life. Try to avoid naps anyway if you can if you don't have a regular sleep schedule, and if you do nap, keep it as short as possible.

Do something to occupy your mind. Exercise is probably the best thing you can do. Listening to music, watching an engaging TV show or movie (it has to be interesting enough to hold your focus), talk to someone on the phone (you have to be talking as well, not just listening - your mind can wander when you're being spoken to but it's incredibly hard to talk about one topic and think about another), etc. Just find something you enjoy doing. Make a list if you need to and write it down. When you're finding yourself stressing out, pull out your list.

#5 hkc9591

hkc9591

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

You seem to know me so well! It's so hard for me to focus on a movie or tv show for more only 30 minutes. Also, phone calls, and actual conversations can be hard for me to concentrate on too. My mind wanders. The bad thing about depression is that it robs you of the things you like or liked to do. I am trying to do more excercising and trying to find other things as well. I raised kids for 23 years, and now that they're all out of the house I find myself at a loss.
Thanks for your good advice! I appreciate it!

#6 Violet31

Violet31

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

I know this is going to sound like a really weird question. I am battling anxiety and depression. When I lie down for a nap my anxiety seems to intensify. Most of the time I can't nap during the day because I start thinking of everything I'm anxious about. Is there something about the horizontal position that heightens the feelings of anxiety? Anyone else experience this?

Interesting thread. When Im depressed or anxious, napping is the worst thing I do. It leaves me in a terrible state.

I prefer to sit down with a paper and pen and look for solutions. I ask myself what I can do to solve the problem.

If the anxiety is irrational, I try CBT methods by challenging the thoughts.

I wish you the best of luck.
When you´re going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Viktor Frankl

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Use adversity      Declare Independence 

Violet :rose:

Posted Image

#7 bsphil

bsphil

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

Interesting thread. When Im depressed or anxious, napping is the worst thing I do. It leaves me in a terrible state.

I prefer to sit down with a paper and pen and look for solutions. I ask myself what I can do to solve the problem.

If the anxiety is irrational, I try CBT methods by challenging the thoughts.

I wish you the best of luck.

This is pretty good advice too, being able to put your problems down on paper and brainstorm ways to deal with them go a long way to helping ease the anxiety from lingering in your head. Just make sure that you're also using that opportunity to manage the burden of stress rather than find a new way feel overwhelmed by it (don't spend too much time on it, in short).

As for the exercise, the more you can do to enjoy the time spent exercising, the more likely you'll be able to get through it. Running on a treadmill can be daunting even to people who aren't dealing with a mental disorder, but say if you like nature, taking a walk to and around a local park can feel less like work because you're enjoying the time rather than dwelling on the labor. Or playing tennis, swimming, etc. I listen to music or audiobooks while I go biking, but whatever you do to make anything that is physically strenuous enjoyable will help immensely to boost your mood.

Edited by bsphil, 27 June 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#8 xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:13 AM

i know this probably weird but when i was younger and somtimes now when i have trouble falling asleep. well when i was younger (9 -14) i would hide away up in my bedroom and to take my mind off feeling sad or to stop myself from thinking about well life i would pick a favorite movie or tv show or book and make a charicter for myself and just lie down and imagine myself apart of the story and eventually coming up with my own stories and whenever i would it usually ended up with me falling asleep becuase it was alot like reading a good book it kept my mind off from things that stressed me out even now when im really tierd i stop thinking about whatever it is i am thinking about and imagine myself being someone else i know this is really nerdy but i was and am a big fan or the movies Underworld so i would make a werewolf charicter and if i wanted to fall asleep i would go to this mental image of myself being exhausted from werewolf things lol and i would imagine i fall onto a big comfy couch and its full of soft blankets and pillows and i imagine in detail how soft they are and how exhausted i feel that i cant keep my eyes open and i litterly keep replaying htat over and over and it usually only takes a very short while to fall asleep too i know i am such a nerd but it works! you can try making up your own mental images that even come from real life experiences sometimes i will imagine myself as a cat lieing in a sunny spot becuase cats always look so peaceful and sleepy when they are sleeping in a sunny patch on the sofa or the bed it just seems so comfortable!
I f i could get a firm grip on reality- id Choke it.
God is good,but never dance in a small boat
"No fair sky IM the one who feels like Crying..."

#9 hkc9591

hkc9591

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

That sounds like it's working very well for you! It's your own type of meditation, and it just sounds like a healthy thing for you. I have trouble concentrating on one thing for very long. You have a great imagination!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users