Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

I Want To Isolate Myself. Good Idea?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flowing_waters

flowing_waters

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:03 PM

Hello there. I don't know how long this post will be, but for those of you who do read, thank you. And I apologize if I sound whiny or so in this post, but I really need to vent. As of now, I really hate myself. For the past two weeks, I have thoughts of wanting to **** myself so I can gain a sense of relief from this emptiness I am feeling. I don't even know if emptiness is the word to use. So many emotions are flowing around in me, and I just don't know what to feel anymore.
I hate the fact that I feel so jealous of others. It has gotten so worse lately that I don't know what to do with myself. To me jealousy is horrible and evil. I hate myself for feeling it so strongly. I constantly have this belief of how I am inferior to others, and I am beginning to accept that it is true.
I have several groups of friends that I care for, even though sometimes I can't stand the way they act. But same goes for them, they probably can't stand the way I act sometimes either. Anyhow, I guess you can say that I am pretty attached to this one group of girls. Why? I don't really know myself. It's interesting because we are so different from each other. Sometimes I wonder how we all became friends in the first place. I don't even know why I regard them so highly. In the group, the total is four, including me. We were 'created' last year. Some interesting events of stress in our lives have made this our fate. Lol. So I'll label those friends A, B, C.
Then there is another friend of mine. I'll call her P. I sometimes really can't stand her. I have known her and hung out with her during high school. Most of the time, I found it only ok to hang out with her once in a while. Other than that, hanging out with her too much makes me feel terrible, and I snap sometimes. Generally, I am a pretty cool person who doesn't snap or give attitude. It takes a lot for that to happen to me.
Anyhow, to make things simple, all of us are mutual friends. Recently, P has been hanging out with me and the group of girls. It all started when she started talking to B. B is a very open person, so P has convinced her somehow to be invited to things we do. And within the group of girls, A knows P since high school like me. For the past few times that me and A hung out, P finds out and hangs out with us too just because her other friends are busy. Basically, I am getting tired of hanging out with P. For the last few times we hung out, I found myself shutting up and having no personality. I found myself feeling jealous. This is the point where my thoughts get nasty. I feel like my friends are going to forget about me because she is more fun. She is also updated with a lot of things in the world, whereas I am just well...lost in the world? Sometimes, I feel like she is trying to prove that she is much better than me. And, sadly, it works. As of right now, I feel so inferior to her that I don't even feel any self-worth anymore. Sometimes I want to tell my friends that I don't want to hang out with her, but I can't. They all seem to really like her, and I feel like I will eventually get pushed out of the picture. I also don't want to start anything. I just know that they will like her more than me.
At this point, I just want to isolate myself from everyone. I hate the fact that P invaded my space. Last year, I went through something similar, and I can't stand the fact that it's happening again this year. I just want to **** myself. It's always like this. Just when I am starting to find happiness and a place to be in my life--aside from family and friend problems I have to deal with--someone comes in and steals it from me. At least that's what it feels like. I can't stand it anymore--it keeps happening. I don't even know who I am anymore. I am starting to feel that being myself isn't enough, but that's all I can be. I just want to isolate myself so I don't have to deal with these feelings of jealousy or being replaced by someone who I don't really like. Honestly, I don't know why I have been hanging out with P all these years. It's like, she always come back. As stupid as it is, I hate the fact that she is majoring in the same thing I am. I feel like she can do better in it than me too. Whenever we talk, she talks like she knows her stuff, (yeah she does) and for me, she will be like "You didn't know that?"
I don't feel happy anymore. I don't know what to do with my life. I don't know where I stand even though I thought I did. I was a confident and better person before. I use to be a lot nicer too. Maybe my happiness and confidence was a lie. Now I feel like an unworthy piece of nothing. If P wants to have a place in the group, fine, she can have it. I don't even want to hang out anymore if she's going to be there. I am tired of seeing her. Seeing her on an individual basis in the past was a pain already, and now that I have to see her even more often since my friends like her, I don't want any part in that. I have other issues in life (I can't even think about now) to deal with already. I don't want to deal with this problem of jealousy. Problems just keeps adding up this year and I don't know how to handle all my feelings anymore. I feel so burnt out. I do have friends who would probably understand my situation, but up to this point, I don't even want to bother telling them anything. It's just going to waste their time...they have better things to do. I don't want to see anybody anymore. I don't know how many times I typed this but, I don't know what to do with my feelings or myself. Everything is falling apart. I don't know how to organize my thoughts and feelings...I'm sorry for sounding obnoxious. I really don't mean to...

Thank you for reading,
Jane

Edited by flowing_waters, 25 June 2010 - 02:09 PM.

#2 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,848 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

Wlecome to DF, Jane,
I take it you all are in first year college together also. I've not personally had this happen to me but I did have a few "distinct" groups of friends through high school and afterwards. My "groups" really didn't have anything in common so they never mixed except at school functions. I did have a friend like your "P", I could only take so much of her at one time so we only hung out maybe a few times a month. She didn't like any of my other friends, so no big deal. A few years out of high school we lost track of each other and went our separate ways. Actually, I still have one friend left from high school (44 years ago).

I tended to isolate more in the last 10 years than ever before. It's not really a good thing to do to yourself as you do start turning inwards and distorting things. Maybe you're isolating from this group of friends because you've let P into the group and maybe because you're starting to compare yourself with her. You didn't say anything about C. Is she someone you could hang out with without the group? Couple of things: the group will eventually break up as you get older and other interests occur. Stop comparing yourself to P or other people, you will learn you are unique and have your own talents. Comparing to others will only make you feel poorly about yourself. Now is a time for growth and exploration. Try meeting new people at college or even at work. Expanding friendships expands your life. It's like learning something new.

Take a deep breath and reevaluate your "group" friendship. Is it really hard to enjoy a group activity when P is there? Of your friends outside this group, are there any you would prefer to spend time with? You have a lot of options and isolating should not be one of them.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#3 crabshk

crabshk

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

sounds like you need better medication (are you taking medicine?). if you're in college, then have you ever tried going to the medical clinic and trying to counseling? hope you find relief soon. If you don't want to isolate yourself, then do you have family nearby?

Edited by crabshk, 02 July 2010 - 03:29 PM.

Dx: Depression. My Meds: Vistaril, prozac, Seroquel.
Meds that didn't work: Lexapro made me more depressed. Buspar=more anxiety. zoloft, wellbutrin=nausea.

#4 fwilson

fwilson

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

It depends on what type of person you are and what type of circle you are hanging out in....right now I am trying to really make a change in my life, and the friends I have just dont understand. So I rather spend time alone with my books and audiobooks. But then again, Ive always been a loner and am comfortable alone. It helps me gain momentum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users