Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Generic Bupropion Sr 100 Mg (mylan)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 uncensored

uncensored

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

Anyone have any experience with this particular generic manufacturer's version of wellbutrin?

#2 Aerial

Aerial

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:22 PM

My pharmacy changes manufacturers every now and then. Honestly, I've never had a different experience with any "alternate" version of Wellbutrin.

If you have any kind of bad side effects (with a generic or brand name) I hope you'll call your doctor right away. Only the docs know best how to advise you.

Welcome to the Wellbutrin room, by the way. We strive to encourage and support one another!

Take care,
Aerial
Posted ImagePosted Image

"We've been around, we fall, we fly
We mostly fall, we mostly run
And every now and then we try
To mend the damage that we've done..."

(Song of Bernadette, lyrics by Leonard Cohen)

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." James Taylor

#3 Suscipe

Suscipe

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

My local CVS vendor "Cardinal" just recently switched manufacturer from Teva to Mylan.
Any experience with this particular generic brand change?
I tried to switch last month and went through fatigue, migraines, and missed a couple days of work. After two days back on Teva, I felt moderately depressed, and then slowly went back to normal w/ just a little extra anxiety.
NOW CVS has no supply left of Teva and their asking me to change to Mylan. The pharmacist believes that there is no difference.
Should I try again? Could my symptoms have been psychosomatic? Any thoughts out there?

Suscipe
Any advice I offer is just that - advice and opinions from my personal and family experiences. I have no degrees that are at all related to the medical field.

#4 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:54 AM

Hi uncensored and Suscipe ,

Well this is a common problem with different generic brands of every AD. In theory there is no difference at all , but in practice there is for some people.

I had the same problem with generic citalopram, when I got switched to another generic brand it did not work a all, so had to switch back to another generic brand from India which worked almost immediately.

So I guess that if you find that the Mylan does not work and that Teva does you should ask your Doctor about how he is going to get you the version that is effective. ( Teva)

This problem does not apply to first time users of course, only to those whose generic brand has been switched. Some people do find there is no difference between the brands. They do not appear to be sensitive to one brand only.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#5 Suscipe

Suscipe

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

Thanks Jim Bow!
That's great news for uncensored.
I think that I'll try the change again and report back my conclusions to the forum. Pharmacy's will change generics every time a cheaper generic becomes available so I might as well try to change along with it... if possible.
Keep me in your wishes!
Suscipe
Any advice I offer is just that - advice and opinions from my personal and family experiences. I have no degrees that are at all related to the medical field.

#6 MaryS

MaryS

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

I too was just switched from Watson to Mylan. I can feel a difference, but not yet sure if it is good or bad. I feel very mellow and not so irritable; might be a good swtich. Let us know what your 2 weeks are like.

#7 Suscipe

Suscipe

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:15 AM

After one week of hell because of the switch from Teva to Mylan, I had headaches like pulsing migrains and just wanted to sleep all day. I've had many sinus infections since the switch, but I don't think that there from the Mylan. I think it's just a bad sinus season and my immune system is a little down.
The only big change was that I had to increase the amount of time between my morning and afternoon dose by over 2 hours. It seems in my case, that the Mylan dispenses the bupropion over a longer time period or may ramp up exponentially near the end of the dose. Before I figured out the wait, I'd get an unpleasant spike from the bupropion -- shaky hands, persperation, jumbled thought process, panic, hard time expressing ideas. That took the second week.
So if anyone has the unpleasant symptoms, I'd recommend spread the time between dosages immediatly.
Suscipe

#8 pawsmiles

pawsmiles

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

Anyone have any experience with this particular generic manufacturer's version of wellbutrin?

i am about to call my pharmacy and tell them that the mylan generic of wellbutrin xl 300mg doesn't work. i have been feeling like crying for about a week although my life, world view, and coping mechanisms are improving. i noticed that the pills were different but took them any way. i have 20 left. i believe teva is the best company for generics. i am going to insist on the teva or come out of pocket for the brand name which i think is best. depression is hard enough without the pharmacies changing the patient's medication without permission.

#9 naomijagers

naomijagers

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:42 AM

I was on the Mylan generic immediate release 100mg. I started out taking it twice a day for three days, and was then instructed to increase to three times per day. After two days of that, I began to have horrible anxiety, racing heart, rapid pulse (around 100 beats per minute), muscle twitches, shakiness, restlessness, and difficulty completing sentences/finding the right words. I called my doctor who told me to go back down to twice a day. I stayed at this dose for about two weeks, during which I continued to have palpitations, elevated pulse, muscle twitches, and anxiety on a regular basis, although at a diminished rate. When I felt like I'd stabilized at 200mg, I increased to 300mg and all the side effects were exacerbated.

So, I saw my doctor and asked if I could switch to the 150 SR and see if the side effects would decrease. My pharmacy carries the generic SR made by Sandoz. Well, I have been on this version at 300mg per day for five days, and the racing heart, muscle spasms, and anxiety have completely disappeared- I noticed the change on the first day after switching. I can't believe how differently these two generics affected me, and I don't think it's because I just happened to get used to the drug after a month and that the side effects would have gone away if I'd stuck with the Mylan a little longer.

I just wanted to share this so that others experiencing problems on a particular generic, or after switching, aren't imagining things and that it's worth trying something different (either dosage or manufacturer) before giving up. I know Mylan has worked for some, but I will be sticking with Sandoz. My mood and outlook have improved somewhat, and I will give it a couple of weeks at the 300mg dosage to see how effective it is.

Edited by naomijagers, 22 February 2011 - 08:44 AM.

#10 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

So do you just ask your pharmacist what version they carry? I'm curious which one I am taking.

Just a thought: maybe part of the negative reaction people have is due to differences in the pills that have to do with dyes or other inert ingredients...? I've never really had issues with various generic brands, but I do believe they could be different enough to affect people in unpleasant ways.
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#11 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:03 AM

So do you just ask your pharmacist what version they carry? I'm curious which one I am taking.

Just a thought: maybe part of the negative reaction people have is due to differences in the pills that have to do with dyes or other inert ingredients...? I've never really had issues with various generic brands, but I do believe they could be different enough to affect people in unpleasant ways.

I just looked at my pills and apparently I have a Watson version.
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#12 Toy

Toy

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

From reading around the net I have found that Wellbutrin has a patent on the coating of the original product and the generic companies only have to stay with in a certain guideline release amount of the medication...so it may be one company is a little better then another on reproducing a 'good' coating matched closely to the guideline while the other is on the 'bad end of the guideline...just a thought.
I take "Ratio-Bupropion SR 100mg (BLUE/RND/RPH {B42})" twice daily and find them absolutely great...helped me tremendously. Where a friend is/was on 300 XL and they had little effects helping them...so I suggested taking a few of mine as a test...they are switching now. ;)
Also I had no side effects like I had on other AD's...but each person is different...but NEVER give up because something WILL work eventually ! :)

Toy
#1 - I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL !
#2 - I only speak from my life experiences. ;)

#13 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

This is very interesting. Apparently, the Food/Drug Administration does NOT require generic medicine get approval for clinical trials. It only requires lab results in 3 dozen or fewer people showing the drug seeming to act in a similar way as the name brand. I believe the main issues involve the XL version.
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#14 naomijagers

naomijagers

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

Interesting, indeed! And I also did some research and found that generics don't go through nearly as much testing. I believe the manufacturers and pharmacists who say that the active ingredient is the same, but as you suggested, it certainly seems plausible that the other ingredients could make a difference.

For others out there who are interested in this, if you find a generic that works well, I would recommend somehow ensuring that it's the one your pharmacy continues to dispense. It may involve some calling around if they switch, or if you switch strengths/dosage as they may carry different brands for immediate, sustained, and extended release.

#15 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:19 AM

I am definitely starting to notice that the generic pills sometimes release differently. Yesterday, it seemed like my afternoon dose was different, stronger. Maybe it was just me and my mood, but it sure seemed like I was more anxious and wired because of the bupropion. I think usually it is fine, but occasionally, you get a pill that is "uneven" or something.
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

#16 naomijagers

naomijagers

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

I've definitely noticed a difference between Mylan and Sandoz generics. I'm on Sandoz (150mg twice a day) and feel much more "even" in my mood and don't have the "wired" feeling I had on Mylan. However, while the Mylan decreased my appetite, the Sandoz makes me absolutely ravenous all the time. I've only been on it for six days, so will give it a little more time, but if this side effect doesn't go away, I'll have to switch again. The hunger pangs are severe, and don't subside even when I eat!

#17 ToscasKiss

ToscasKiss

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

This is a pretty long time from the last post, but I'm wondering about this now, so hopefully someone might respond.  I've experienced strong differences in varying generics of Bupropion, and have often heard of that happening to other people.  I thought that Teva was a problem, what with the recall of their 300 mg XLs in 2012; I don't think I've ever been on Teva's brand.  Anyway, awhile ago my doc wanted to try upping my dose from 400 to 450, to see if that would help, which I was glad to try.  Unfortunately, the one store I have the option of using had the 150 mg tablets from a different manufacturer than the one that made the 200 mgs I had been using.  I could quickly tell a difference, with the newer tablets bringing a real letdown, even at the higher dose.  I honestly wondered if they'd given me the wrong medicine, but it was correct (I checked).  After awhile, I told the doctor, and she put me back on the original at 400, and things quickly got better.  Wish I could try the higher dose with a good generic, but that one was pretty useless (sorry, I don't remember the name of its maker).  The brand that's been working fairly well is from Global.

Now, I've been dispensed a new brand, Mylan (pale green in color rather than pale peach), and, as others here have experienced, I'm not doing well: feeling much more fatigue, some headache (not common for me), far more depressed and hopeless feeling than I've felt in awhile, and getting crying episodes that are difficult to control (also not very common for me lately, and especially frustrating in public).  Anyway, I'd be interested in whether anyone has had experiences, good or bad, with Mylan generic lately, and also which generics work well for people.  Thanks, and aloha.

#18 tweety33

tweety33

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

I have had the same bad experiences on the generics. Instant headaches and no relief. These headaches are so strong that I will take Motrin to relief them and as soon as the Motrin  wears off the headache is still there and I have to treat it  again! In addition to the terrible pain, my skin reacted with bumps all over my arms and my face and my back. It was like goose  bumps but much larger and they took a few weeks to go away.

Wellbutrin the non generic has worked well for me over the last 10 years but since the generics came around I have had nothing but problems. The doctor has put me on what she believed to be just about all of them over the last few years including when I first began treatment experimenting with what medications would work. That took a few years. Finally find one that your body agrees with and then your given a generic that makes you sick.

Currently I have gone without treatment because of the cost of the treatment that works for me. However I have been using an herb called St. Johns Wart. After six weeks or so I noticed I was not so sleepy all day .No side effects. It seems slow but It is better than not being treated. I still do not feel good and I am frustrated but the herbal extract is definitely doing something because it was so hard to stay awake and now its not.

I am preparing to just purchase the wellbutrin.

After some research I found on the wellbutrinxlcoupon.com  websight a coupon that helps pay for it. Also the helprx.info websight says they can have a discount card that lowers the cost of this medication. I just signed up so I will find out more about it.

#19 Stephenau

Stephenau

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

Now, I've been dispensed a new brand, Mylan (pale green in color rather than pale peach), and, as others here have experienced, I'm not doing well: feeling much more fatigue, some headache (not common for me), far more depressed and hopeless feeling than I've felt in awhile, and getting crying episodes that are difficult to control (also not very common for me lately, and especially frustrating in public).  Anyway, I'd be interested in whether anyone has had experiences, good or bad, with Mylan generic lately, and also which generics work well for people.  Thanks, and aloha.

IMO, this is just the body becoming use to a particular drug, switching between generics or the formulation xl/sr/ir, is about adjusting to it. IR seems to be my favorite, just because I can sleep at night. SR was keeping me awake at night.

#20 bine

bine

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

HI, iam new here and would like to ask a question.  J have been on Zoloft for a very long time, found that it was not working well anymore and my Doc said to take bupropion sr as well. My Zoloft is at 200 mg and the Bupropion at 200 mg twice a day as well.

Now I know that it will take up to 6 weeks before the full effects can be felt, but it seems to me that I can already see a difference.... and a positive one at that..... Iam wondering if that is even possible because this is only the sixth day since adding the new meds.... Any reply would be great...

Thanks

#21 Stephenau

Stephenau

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

Probably the honeymoon period, you might experience a dip in your mood for a few weeks following that, it depends on the person.

#22 afriendtoyou

afriendtoyou

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

Greetings,

This is my first post, but I have frequently read these forums. Thanks to the community for the hope you've given me.

I have a question that's a little bit gross, so if you're squeamish, feel free to quit reading now.

I take 150 MG of bupropion hcl delayed release. It is a generic made by Par Pharmaceuticals.

Anyway, I went to the restroom and before flushing noticed a pill in my stool. This is not the first time I've seen it. This isn't something I make a habit of, but I went ahead and picked it up. I washed my hands and the pill and noticed that it looked and felt in tact. It basically looked like the pill I swallow every morning, and was hard. Now, I know that name brand Wellbutrin has a non-dissolvable case that can show up in stool and, though it looks in tact, is hollow. This is NOT the case with what I found with my drug. 

Has anyone else heard of this or have had it happen to you? I'm concerned that the medication is not dissolving properly. Thanks to anyone willing to respond to this.

#23 Stephenau

Stephenau

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:00 PM

Greetings,

This is my first post, but I have frequently read these forums. Thanks to the community for the hope you've given me.

I have a question that's a little bit gross, so if you're squeamish, feel free to quit reading now.

I take 150 MG of bupropion hcl delayed release. It is a generic made by Par Pharmaceuticals.

Anyway, I went to the restroom and before flushing noticed a pill in my stool. This is not the first time I've seen it. This isn't something I make a habit of, but I went ahead and picked it up. I washed my hands and the pill and noticed that it looked and felt in tact. It basically looked like the pill I swallow every morning, and was hard. Now, I know that name brand Wellbutrin has a non-dissolvable case that can show up in stool and, though it looks in tact, is hollow. This is NOT the case with what I found with my drug. 

Has anyone else heard of this or have had it happen to you? I'm concerned that the medication is not dissolving properly. Thanks to anyone willing to respond to this.

Absolutely Talk to your doctor..

#24 afriendtoyou

afriendtoyou

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

I've gone ahead and gotten "real" wellbutrin prescribed. It's extremely expensive, but I think I'll try it for a month to see if there's any changes. I hope this works!

#25 afriendtoyou

afriendtoyou

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted Today, 06:41 AM

Greetings,

Absolutely Talk to your doctor..

Sigh, I've started the "real" wellbutrin. The pill casings are still coming out, which I know if supposed to happen. However, they still have a decent amount of undissolved wellbutrin inside them. So frustrating. Gonna have to let the doc know.

Edited by afriendtoyou, Today, 06:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users