Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Depression / Thyroid Symptoms For 18 Months

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whatever20

whatever20

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

Hello all:

I am here because in January of last year (2009), I began experiencing a number of strange symptoms, and still have not gotten it figured out. I have been in and out of several doctors, my PCPs, an endo, and 2 GI's. The endo and GI have recommended antidepressants, but before I go that route there are a few things I want to look into.

My symptoms are:

- NO sex drive (erections are OK but not great, I just feel uninterested in sex completely)
- Almost no appetite
- Very slow digestion
- Bloating after meals, meals feel "stuck" in the stomach region
- Constipation, sometimes days between bowel movements
- Acid reflux after big meals
- Constant brain fog
- Inability to concentrate
- Consistent weight gain (went from about 180 to 225 this year, currently at 205.) even though I exercise and work landscaping
- Loss of interest in everyday things
- Space out for long periods at the computer
- Some trouble sleeping
- Always tired and sluggish
- Completely drained after physical activity
- Low body temperature usually between 95.5-97.5, with only a few infrequent readings of 98.6+

Last year, for about a 1-2 week period in each month of may, july, sept, and november, i felt great. but then the symptoms came back.

My first theory was that it was a thyroid problem. A sluggish thyroid can lead to all these symptoms. Plus, I have a family history of hypothyroidism.

However, I did several blood tests, including TSH, Free and Serum Testosterone, T4, T3, Ferretin, and some others. All of these came back normal, except the testosterone was a bit low during one test. Saw the endocrinologist for this, tested again, and the level was fine. No supplementation was given.

In august I went on Nexium for about a month, and it didn't do anything. PCP referred me to the GI, who did a endoscopy and said my stomach looked to be pumping "slow." So, we did the barium-based gastric emptying study. The study went "normal" with no problems.

In early December, I met again with the GI and he did not have a solution for me. He recommended an anti-depressant. I saw an endocrinologist and he recommended the same thing.

But, when I checked out some forums, there are a lot of people who get the whole antidepressant recommendation from a doctor, only to find that it just masks their true underlying problems. This is what I DON'T want to happen. Plus, most antidepressants carry sexual side effects which would hurt my cause even more.

I would also like to mention that I get exercise about 3 times a week for about an hour (hockey) and spring-fall I work landscaping. I live a happy, stress-free life and am in a 5+ year SOLID relationship. This makes me doubt it's depression even more.

Also, there is a medical condition out there called Wilson's Temperature syndrome (first site when searching it on google will bring up the official page) which shows that there have been many patients with hypothyroid symptoms AND low body temperature but have normal lab results. This sounds exactly like me. These patients, even though their T3 looks normal, respond POSITIVELY to T3 supplementation, most seeing that their symptoms go away with this treatment.

So far this year, I have seen a new GI who did a colonoscopy and said every thing looks fine, except for a few internal hemorhoids which are apparently common. And I have started going to a new PCP , who seems more knowledgeable and willing to spend time with me than my last one. But thus far he has not come up with any solutions. In fact, I am going back to see him in a few weeks, in which time I have asked that he look at the website www.wilsonssyndrome.com, which he said he would do. I feel like this is my last hope to find something physically wrong with me.

I love my life, and I love the way everything is working out for me. I enjoy my college material, I am working, own a small business, am in a very healthy (6 year) relationship, and we will be getting engaged soon. I love my family. I could be spending more time with friends I supposed, but we're all working, trying to get on our feet, etc. I feel like I exercise enough and eat fairly healthy, although I should cut down on fast food and soda some more. Altogether what I'm trying to say is that I'm really not worried about much in life, and I am confused as to how I could be feeling this way.

Some nights are pretty bad. Right now I'm bloated, sluggish, tired, and can taste the food I ate several hours ago (acid reflux).

What I really need to know is if anyone has had experience with Wilson's syndrome, underactive thyroid, depression, or anything else you think it could be. Have any of you thought you were depressed but just ended up having a thyroid problem? Or vise versa? I have some more appointments coming up, and I am really trying to get this figured out. One year is too long. It can't go on any longer.

Thanks in advance

#2 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:21 AM

Hi whatever

Thyroid problems are quite common with depression.
Here is a link to a topic that you may find interesting:

http://www.depressio...ems-t39850.html

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#3 rusalka

rusalka

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

Hi, whatever.

I have experienced depression that was directly related to Hashimoto's Disease. I'd had a TSH and T4 that were normal, and a month later became suddenly depressed, incredibly sleepy, and irritable. My GP tried to put me on an SSRI immediately, but I held out until the TSH and T4 came back (abnormal). Increasing my thyroid dosage helped within the week. Sometimes Hashimoto's can cause rather sudden swings in thyroid levels and mood.

Since you have a family history of thyroid disorder, maybe you should be tested for thyroid antibodies. Some people have the antibodies for Hashimoto's (Thyroid Peroxidase - TPO, and Thyroglobulin - Tg), but otherwise test normal. Small amounts of supplementary thyroid hormone can help reduce or slow down further destruction of thyroid tissue in these patients. For many years, I tested "normal" (or low) on the TSH while feeling clinically hypothyroid. This only improved when I started taking natural dessicated thyroid (NDT), and found doctors who paid attention to free T3 and free T4 levels in addition to TSH. Thyroid disease can be difficult to diagnose because it affects your entire body, and some doctors are not used to seeing the disease in males. Also, you might look into your adrenal hormones, pituitary, and maybe hypothalamus. If your pituitary or adrenals are damaged, it can affect many other hormones.

Another thought that comes to mind is food allergies. I was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease. The last couple months I've had nausea and mostly loose stools, but feel like the entire digestive system is "sluggish", or has no "oomph". The CD also caused anemia, which is similar to your symptoms. Any food allergy can cause malnutrition, which can lead to your symptoms. It's so frustrating to feel awful and have all the labs come back normal, no?

I agree that you should do your best to find a physical cause, but don't hesitate to try treating the depression if you need it. It's really, really tough to figure out when depression is a symptom of another issue, or the cause of your problems in the first place. I've found that some docs, once you get the "depression" or "anxiety" label, just attribute everything to that. Nevertheless, there are some effective treatments for depression that can help handle the stress while you figure out what else is going on with your body, and in turn take some of the burden off your body.

You may (emphasize may) have more luck getting a naturopath or DO to try treating Wilson's. I've had DOs who were more conservative than regular GPs, though. When I've had chronic, vague symptoms, I've found that any practitioner who will work holistically (diet, lifestyle, labwork, etc.) has been more helpful than the traditional "focus on the diagnosed condition and medicate" type. Your post is very clear and well-stated. I have good hopes that you'll find something you can work on. Please let us know how things turn out for you!

#4 pldowney51

pldowney51

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:29 AM

You might want to talk to an Endocrinologist. Sleep disorders can cause problems like to mention and you may not even now you have them, like sleep apnea. You have to get tested in a sleep lab by a doctor.
Goodluck ;)

Hello all:

I am here because in January of last year (2009), I began experiencing a number of strange symptoms, and still have not gotten it figured out. I have been in and out of several doctors, my PCPs, an endo, and 2 GI's. The endo and GI have recommended antidepressants, but before I go that route there are a few things I want to look into.

My symptoms are:

- NO sex drive (erections are OK but not great, I just feel uninterested in sex completely)
- Almost no appetite
- Very slow digestion
- Bloating after meals, meals feel "stuck" in the stomach region
- Constipation, sometimes days between bowel movements
- Acid reflux after big meals
- Constant brain fog
- Inability to concentrate
- Consistent weight gain (went from about 180 to 225 this year, currently at 205.) even though I exercise and work landscaping
- Loss of interest in everyday things
- Space out for long periods at the computer
- Some trouble sleeping
- Always tired and sluggish
- Completely drained after physical activity
- Low body temperature usually between 95.5-97.5, with only a few infrequent readings of 98.6+

Last year, for about a 1-2 week period in each month of may, july, sept, and november, i felt great. but then the symptoms came back.

My first theory was that it was a thyroid problem. A sluggish thyroid can lead to all these symptoms. Plus, I have a family history of hypothyroidism.

However, I did several blood tests, including TSH, Free and Serum Testosterone, T4, T3, Ferretin, and some others. All of these came back normal, except the testosterone was a bit low during one test. Saw the endocrinologist for this, tested again, and the level was fine. No supplementation was given.

In august I went on Nexium for about a month, and it didn't do anything. PCP referred me to the GI, who did a endoscopy and said my stomach looked to be pumping "slow." So, we did the barium-based gastric emptying study. The study went "normal" with no problems.

In early December, I met again with the GI and he did not have a solution for me. He recommended an anti-depressant. I saw an endocrinologist and he recommended the same thing.

But, when I checked out some forums, there are a lot of people who get the whole antidepressant recommendation from a doctor, only to find that it just masks their true underlying problems. This is what I DON'T want to happen. Plus, most antidepressants carry sexual side effects which would hurt my cause even more.

I would also like to mention that I get exercise about 3 times a week for about an hour (hockey) and spring-fall I work landscaping. I live a happy, stress-free life and am in a 5+ year SOLID relationship. This makes me doubt it's depression even more.

Also, there is a medical condition out there called Wilson's Temperature syndrome (first site when searching it on google will bring up the official page) which shows that there have been many patients with hypothyroid symptoms AND low body temperature but have normal lab results. This sounds exactly like me. These patients, even though their T3 looks normal, respond POSITIVELY to T3 supplementation, most seeing that their symptoms go away with this treatment.

So far this year, I have seen a new GI who did a colonoscopy and said every thing looks fine, except for a few internal hemorhoids which are apparently common. And I have started going to a new PCP , who seems more knowledgeable and willing to spend time with me than my last one. But thus far he has not come up with any solutions. In fact, I am going back to see him in a few weeks, in which time I have asked that he look at the website www.wilsonssyndrome.com, which he said he would do. I feel like this is my last hope to find something physically wrong with me.

I love my life, and I love the way everything is working out for me. I enjoy my college material, I am working, own a small business, am in a very healthy (6 year) relationship, and we will be getting engaged soon. I love my family. I could be spending more time with friends I supposed, but we're all working, trying to get on our feet, etc. I feel like I exercise enough and eat fairly healthy, although I should cut down on fast food and soda some more. Altogether what I'm trying to say is that I'm really not worried about much in life, and I am confused as to how I could be feeling this way.

Some nights are pretty bad. Right now I'm bloated, sluggish, tired, and can taste the food I ate several hours ago (acid reflux).

What I really need to know is if anyone has had experience with Wilson's syndrome, underactive thyroid, depression, or anything else you think it could be. Have any of you thought you were depressed but just ended up having a thyroid problem? Or vise versa? I have some more appointments coming up, and I am really trying to get this figured out. One year is too long. It can't go on any longer.

Thanks in advance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)