Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Going From 75mg To 150mg Of Venlafaxine (effexor)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 holidaychick

holidaychick

ID: 45865

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:37 AM

Hi,

After 4 weeks on 75mg of venlafaxine i contacted my pdoc as i have not noticed any improvement in my anxiety/depression. I know I wouldnt be 100% but I thought I would have felt a slight improvement.

He has told me to double my dose from 75mg to 150mg starting tonight.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so did you find a greater benefit from the higher dose?

Also did you have the side effects all over again, nausea and dizzyness etc?

Many thanks

#2 holidaychick

holidaychick

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

ANYONE?

#3 curexcomplex

curexcomplex

ID: 45166

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

I've not felt much improvement on 75mg though I'm only two weeks in, people are on far higher dosages some people take 450mg a day, its just about playing around with dosages and meds until something workds, treating depresson and anxiaty is still very much trial and error unfortunetly. Try to stick with it, I have found when I've been on other meds and increased dosages don't tend to really feel the side effects all over again, you might get a return of some of the weaker ones for a day or two or at least I do then it settles out pretty quickly

Forget me nots, second thoughts, live in isloation.
Heads or tails, fairy tales in my mind. Are we we are.
Are we we are the waiting unknown.
The rage and love story of my life.
The Jesus of Suburbia is a lie.

#4 warpysaint

warpysaint

Silver Member

ID: 7345

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

Hi,

After 4 weeks on 75mg of venlafaxine i contacted my pdoc as i have not noticed any improvement in my anxiety/depression. I know I wouldnt be 100% but I thought I would have felt a slight improvement.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so did you find a greater benefit from the higher dose?

Many thanks

I did see an improvement with 150 over 75mgs, but I personally feel that eventually you experience diminishing returns, (above 225mg, my wife reported that my personality changed for the the worse,) if not an outright reversal. I did not experience the SE's all over again with every increase, although there were sometimes new ones.
-WS
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

"I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime..." -Big CountryPosted Image

#5 Taryn7

Taryn7

ID: 35195

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

Hi :)

The first time I was on it - I started at 150mg and didn't need to increase the dose..
This time I started at 75mg but after a few weeks - there was no improvement so I was put back on 150mg.
Been on 150mg now for a good few months.. Over 6 months but I can't remember exactly how long..
I still have days where I feel down in the dumps - but maybe 2 or 3 days a month..
And sometimes a get a little anxious - but it lasts maybe a minute and then goes away.
I replied to your other thread as well..

All in all - 150mg works great for me.. But like others have said - some people take up to 450mg a day..
Don't lose hope - a solution IS out there..

#6 holidaychick

holidaychick

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

Thanks again Taryn7,

I think if someone said to me give it another 2 weeks and you will feel better, i know i could cope. its the not knowing, especially since this is my 3rd AD in 16months and the other 2 didnt work.

I think im beginning to panic, even though i know its early days with the meds. But when you have anxiety 24/7 logical thinking goes straight out the window.

I cried today for about 2 hours while my kids were out, now they are back and i think i could cry for another 2 hours. I dread waking up each and every day.

just want to feel better, id honestly give my right arm if it would make a difference.

#7 zenmama

zenmama

ID: 10863

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

I noticed a definite improvement at 150mg and more at 225.... with the standard disclaimer that different brains react differently to different meds.... I'm one of those rarities taking 450mg currently. The norepiniphrine part kicks in around 150 and up.

I did have slight return of side effects with each dose increase, but thankfully it would fade after a few days. Taking it with food helps.

If your side effects are tolerable, I wouldn't give up on effexor until at least 225mg, but that's just my opinion.

#8 holidaychick

holidaychick

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for that Zenmama

How long did it take you to feel the anxiety lessening at 150mg?

I was on the 75mg for 4 weeks then it was upped to 150mg but that was only 6 days ago. Im just wanting the anxiety to go away.

#9 longshanks

longshanks

ID: 15909

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for that Zenmama

How long did it take you to feel the anxiety lessening at 150mg?

I was on the 75mg for 4 weeks then it was upped to 150mg but that was only 6 days ago. Im just wanting the anxiety to go away.

Was on 75mg for 12 months and increased to 150mg two weeks ago. For 7 days I had awful side effects, including dizyyness and much more severe mental debility and confusion. I've now been on the increased dose for 2 weeks and feel worse than I did when I was on 75mg (and that was truly awful!).

I also used to run quite often but have become so exhausted that this has stopped too.

L

#10 holidaychick

holidaychick

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

thanks for that Longshanks,

What does your pdoc or gp say about how you are feeling, did they say to give it more time?

#11 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

ID: 35694

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

Hi holidaychick,

Effexor , like most SNRI meds are pretty hefty in their effect. I could not tolerate them when I was put on it. Everyone is different, some people do need a pretty high dose and other people get on well at 75 mg or lower.

So the best of luck and do let your Doc know of any side effects you are having.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#12 longshanks

longshanks

ID: 15909

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

thanks for that Longshanks,

What does your pdoc or gp say about how you are feeling, did they say to give it more time?

Hi

Due to see Doc this Friday to review. I will ask to taper off as I can't gon like this much longer. I tried this higher dose about a year ago but reverted back to 75mg after a week or so.

#13 Mad2Bhere

Mad2Bhere

ID: 49292

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

Hi,

Many thanks

Hi,
i have been taking effexor for a few years, the 150 mg dose was bad for me i was sleepy, suicidal and edgy.
also the withdrawal from effexor is one of the worse, (been trying a lot of AD's for the last 10 years)..
my tip for you is to change the effexor to something with less side effects, and don't double the dose.
best of luck,
Mad2Bhere..

#14 holidaychick

holidaychick

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:51 AM

please help i dont know what to do.

Im having to take more diazapam than i usually do because im not able to get rid of my anxiety.

Ive been on the 75mg for 5 weeks and on the 150mg for 1 week.

Do i contact my pdoc or gp and tell them how im feeling?

Do i leave it for another week to see if that makes a difference?

I havent had a good day in weeks and even as im typing this im shaking inside and out and that after taking a diazapam

I NEED SOME ADVICE FROM PEOLE WHO HAVE BEEN THERE, PLEASE HELP ME

#15 zenmama

zenmama

ID: 10863

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time! Personally if you're feeling WORSE in the last week then I would go back to 75 and call the pdoc, ask about other options.

"3rd AD in 16months and the other 2 didnt work" is a hard thing to go through but remember there is ALWAYS hope and other treatments.

I tried 4 ad's semi/unsuccessfully before finding the 5th and 6th that I can tolerate and work well together. For me it's effexor and remeron that help; if it wasn't those, I'd keep trying. If my pdoc didn't agree with me about aggressively treating my conditions with the goal, I'd try and get a new pdoc, which I did a couple months ago. But again that's my philosophy and personal experience, for what it's worth for you.

Hope this helps some :)

#16 holidaychick

holidaychick

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

HI EVERYONE,

My pdoc phoned me today and said that it was normal to feel more anxious both when starting venlafaxine and again when the dose is increased. He also said it takes longer than other AD's for these meds to get into the system. Ive to give it another 2 weeks and in the meantime take a diazapam at night to help me sleep.

I hope they kick in soon as im going on holiday in 2 weeks (for 3 weeks).

Thankyou to everyone for their support, i dont know where i would have been without this forum xxx

#17 Girly

Girly

Community Assistant

ID: 8716

• DF Support
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

HI EVERYONE,

My pdoc phoned me today and said that it was normal to feel more anxious both when starting venlafaxine and again when the dose is increased. He also said it takes longer than other AD's for these meds to get into the system. Ive to give it another 2 weeks and in the meantime take a diazapam at night to help me sleep.

I hope they kick in soon as im going on holiday in 2 weeks (for 3 weeks).

Thankyou to everyone for their support, i dont know where i would have been without this forum xxx

Hi holidaychick, I am glad that you've been able to speak with the pdoc about your meds. I also hope that the diazapam helps with your sleep.

Three weeks holiday! You lucky thing you! Are you going somewhere exciting? I am sure the holiday will really help relieve the feelings of anxiety too.

Girly
Girly

"No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou

Diagnosis - Borderline Personality Disorder. Meds - citalopram and olanzapine.

#18 holidaychick

holidaychick

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

hi girly,

We are heading to a villa in Lanzarote, me my 2 kids and my mum and dad. the only problem is that going on holiday is one of my triggers!!!! But after a couple of days settling in im usually ok. Thats why i wanted to be even 90% better before I went.

#19 forest

forest

ID: 49536

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

I just increased from 75mg to 150mg yesterday. Despite some lightheadedness yesterday, I feel great today! I hope this continues. The plan is to increase to 225mg in a few weeks and then possibly add Adderall XL in a low dose for ADD.

Good luck with your treatment!

#20 cjchicka31

cjchicka31

ID: 45131

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

I was on Effexor 300mg for 5 years before I ran into complications last August and explored other medication options. Now, I am back on Effexor and loving it all over again.

I had switched from Pristiq 100mg, so I went up to 150 mg of Effexor within 9 days, and have been on that dose for about a week now. I know I will most likely have to go up again, and I'm okay with that. If I get the same results I had last time I took Effexor long term, I am willing to do whatever I have to. I have never experienced wierd side effects with Effexor, and did not as I increased doses this time around or last time.

Good luck to you, hope you find a dose that works for you. :)

Trying to change ourselves in order to please others -
so that we can feel temporarily whole for having won their approval -
is like cutting a flower into pieces so that it will fit into a vase.
- Guy Finley

Diagnosed with GAD and Social Anxiety in 2005, taking Effexor 300mg

#21 holidaychick

holidaychick

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:47 AM

Hi,

im back from my holiday and I felt like a "normal holidaymaker" (apart from 4 days when i was anxious but it passed as quick as it came) I went out for meals, bbq'd and drove all over the island and on the wrong side of the road, i was sooo confident and happy and really enjoyed myself.

Now im home the anxiety has started all over again!!!!!!! Ive been on the 150mg venlafaxine for 6 weeks now but if its helping why am i like this now? Ive to see my pdoc next Monday and I will see what he says.

I bought a Claire Weekes book called Self help For Your Nerves and I swear i could have written it myself its just me to a T. She has said not to fight the symptoms of anxiety but to accept them. After reading the book it makes total sense, BUT I CANT SEEM TO LEARN HOW TO ACCEPT THE SYMPTOMS and its so frustrating. Has anyone else managed to grasp her methods and if so can you please advise me.

Thanks for listening

Holidaychick xxx

#22 VisitorQ

VisitorQ

ID: 50710

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

Hi,

im back from my holiday and I felt like a "normal holidaymaker" (apart from 4 days when i was anxious but it passed as quick as it came) I went out for meals, bbq'd and drove all over the island and on the wrong side of the road, i was sooo confident and happy and really enjoyed myself.

Now im home the anxiety has started all over again!!!!!!! Ive been on the 150mg venlafaxine for 6 weeks now but if its helping why am i like this now? Ive to see my pdoc next Monday and I will see what he says.

I bought a Claire Weekes book called Self help For Your Nerves and I swear i could have written it myself its just me to a T. She has said not to fight the symptoms of anxiety but to accept them. After reading the book it makes total sense, BUT I CANT SEEM TO LEARN HOW TO ACCEPT THE SYMPTOMS and its so frustrating. Has anyone else managed to grasp her methods and if so can you please advise me.

Thanks for listening

Holidaychick xxx

Ah i see you're from Northern Ireland...Im from Dublin. Not sure if you consider yourself irish or british so greetings fellow irishwoman/islander.

I am also on Effexor XL 150mg but for severe depression. I had been on 75mg for 2 weeks to which I felt an immediate response after just 2 days! Unfortunately I went on a massive boozer a week into this medication, had a really bad hangover and have been in the pits of a severe depressive episode. Because of this I went up to 150mg and have been on that dosage for 4 days now....Also, I should mention that I've been on Mirtazapine 15mg for the past 4 and a half weeks.

I am still in the throes of an awful, suicidal relapse right now and what makes matters worse is my expectations of Effexor based on my experience of it in the past. I'm 25 now and suffered my first episode when I was 18. I was prescribed effexor 75mg and, HONESTLY, i felt IMMEDIATE relief from it...I took my first one ever in the morning and by that night, I was noticing something happening in my brain..within 2 days, I was on top of the world and felt fantastic! i was on and off it over the years(through my own denial and negligence) and am now back on it...full-time(i expect to be on this for the rest of my life and i dont mind that once i can live a normal life)....so i did get a really good response from effexor in the past and am annoyed that it hasnt kicked in yet....

I dont know if this has been of any use to you but i'd like to talk to you more about both our experiences
~ Mysteriously and in ways that are totally remote from normal experience, the gray drizzle of horror induced by depression takes on the quality of physical pain ... it is entirely natural that the victim begins to think ceaselessly of oblivion. ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users