Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Urination Issue - New To Cymbalta

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mishka66

mishka66

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

I started taking Cymbalta 9 days ago. I take it in the morning. Actually took Prozac for 3 weeks and it was just not right for me. Then started Cymbalta 30mg for 1 week and just went to 60 mg two days ago. I can deal with all the side effects but I'm experiencing weird urination issues. When i wake up in the morning, it's taking me longer to start peeing than normal and the stream is weaker than usual. During the day I feel like I need to urinate more frequently and the hesitancy to start a "stream" is still there but not as bad as first thing in the morning.

Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, is this a side effect that goes away in time?

#2 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

Hi mishka66, This is a possible side effect with Cymbalta but not a common one. For this side effect, Cymbalta recommends that you talk to your health care provider. I would call your prescribing doctor and tell them this and ask for their advice.
iowa

#3 mishka66

mishka66

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

Hi mishka66, This is a possible side effect with Cymbalta but not a common one. For this side effect, Cymbalta recommends that you talk to your health care provider. I would call your prescribing doctor and tell them this and ask for their advice.
iowa

Thanks for the reply Iowa.

I spoke to my doc about this and he brought my dosage down from 60 mg to 30 mg to see if this side effect gets better. It's slightly better but still not gone. Should I give it a couple weeks? Or try something else? BTW, I still feel emotionally pretty good on the 30 mg.

Has anyone else on this board experienced urinary issues with Cymbalta? And have they gone away? I sure hope they do because the AD is working for me. I don't want to go back to Effexor XR and I'm nervous about switching to something like Lexapro because I hear it absolutely kills your sex life. Plus I'm so busy at work and don;t know what kind of switching meds/startup symptoms I'll get.

Argh! So confused! Any help out there?

#4 Libra369

Libra369

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

HI, I also notice the delay in getting the urine stream going. I will be like "I know I have to pee, let's go already"! I have to sit there and relax. I find if I get frustrated it only takes longer. I have never NOT been able to go though. I think one of the random things cymbalta has been Rxd for is incontinence.

Did you Cymbalta give you sexual side effects? I just started it back up again yesterday after a year. When I was on it previously, it just took SO long to achieve orgasm but it would happen eventually. I guess this is better than no sex drive at all which I am currently experiencing.

#5 Tigereyes

Tigereyes

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:50 PM

HI, I also notice the delay in getting the urine stream going. I will be like "I know I have to pee, let's go already"! I have to sit there and relax. I find if I get frustrated it only takes longer. I have never NOT been able to go though. I think one of the random things cymbalta has been Rxd for is incontinence.

Did you Cymbalta give you sexual side effects? I just started it back up again yesterday after a year. When I was on it previously, it just took SO long to achieve orgasm but it would happen eventually. I guess this is better than no sex drive at all which I am currently experiencing.

Hi I know this is an older post, but for what it's worth, I am also having urinary issues--urine stream is weak and sometimes there is a delay in starting. I also notice I have been voiding a lot more often than usual between dinner and when I go to sleep.

It's not going to cause me to stop taking cymbalta, unless this is harmful in some way?

#6 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

Hi Tigereyes:

Thanks for finding this thread and posting.

I think it is worth asking your doctor about whether or not the side effect is harmful in any way.

Tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#7 Tigereyes

Tigereyes

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

Hi Tigereyes:

Thanks for finding this thread and posting.

I think it is worth asking your doctor about whether or not the side effect is harmful in any way.

Tim

Yes...thanks Tim. I spent a long time yesterday going through the older cymbalta threads.

I will be seeing my pdoc later this week. It helps, though, to see if other people have similar side effects. I don't understand why doctors never seem to discuss side effects...

#8 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

tiger:

I know what you mean. And with AD's the side effects can be fairly troublesome at times. Especially if we aren't told how they might effect us.

Tim

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#9 Tigereyes

Tigereyes

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:41 AM

tiger:

I know what you mean. And with AD's the side effects can be fairly troublesome at times. Especially if we aren't told how they might effect us.

Tim

Then again...who knows if I would have even given Cymbalta a try if I knew all of the possible side effects... So far the good still outweighs the bad, but only to a point...

#10 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

Tiger:

It could be one reason docs don't go over all the side effects (all my doctors mention at least a few) is that it sets some of us up for a self-fullfilling prophecy.

I hope the Cymbatla is helpful to you. And that the side effect is a just a small bump in the road.

tim

#11 Tigereyes

Tigereyes

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

Tiger:

It could be one reason docs don't go over all the side effects (all my doctors mention at least a few) is that it sets some of us up for a self-fullfilling prophecy.

I hope the Cymbatla is helpful to you. And that the side effect is a just a small bump in the road.

tim

Thanks, Tim. He did mention a couple, now that I think about it... The ones I am having are uncommon, so I can understand that. He said it's possible with time, the SE's will go away. Otherwise, I could go down in mg or take e/o day, but I'd rather now.

#12 ljacques

ljacques

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

I started taking Cymbalta 9 days ago. I take it in the morning. Actually took Prozac for 3 weeks and it was just not right for me. Then started Cymbalta 30mg for 1 week and just went to 60 mg two days ago. I can deal with all the side effects but I'm experiencing weird urination issues. When i wake up in the morning, it's taking me longer to start peeing than normal and the stream is weaker than usual. During the day I feel like I need to urinate more frequently and the hesitancy to start a "stream" is still there but not as bad as first thing in the morning.

Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, is this a side effect that goes away in time?

I'm glad to hear that some of the members here have had that experience and that I was not crazy when I told my doc. I had the same experience when I went from 30 mg to 60 mg with Cymbalta but it went away with time ... And it has been better since I take Cymbalta at night (to help reduce my morning anxiety). I remember wanting to pee and just a few drops would come out !!! I thought I had some kind of infection but everything was normal ...
GAD and Depression
There's always gonna be another mountain ... It's the climb (Miley Cyrus)

#13 Tigereyes

Tigereyes

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:39 PM

I'm glad to hear that some of the members here have had that experience and that I was not crazy when I told my doc. I had the same experience when I went from 30 mg to 60 mg with Cymbalta but it went away with time ... And it has been better since I take Cymbalta at night (to help reduce my morning anxiety). I remember wanting to pee and just a few drops would come out !!! I thought I had some kind of infection but everything was normal ...

I, too, thought I had a UTI.
I think my pdoc said that cymbalta is sometimes used off-label for urinary stress incontinence, but don't quote me on that...

I just thought of something. Am I possibly voiding a lot at night, because by then the cymbalta has worn off?? I've been voiding at least 2-3 times between dinner and bedtime, and sometimes I wake up to void, too. Hmm...

Edited by Tigereyes, 22 October 2010 - 09:41 PM.

#14 VincentR

VincentR

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

Hi, I've been having the same issue. I'm taking 60mg Cymbalda every morning.

It just take longer to start the pee and for me its ok, I got used to

=)

#15 rmalcolm88

rmalcolm88

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:39 PM

Hi!

When I first started on it I had the same problem. It took about 2 weeks for it to get better. If it doesn't get better soon mention it to the doctor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users