Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

I Literally Can't Move Or Get Out Of Bed

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Inta

Inta

ID: 46939

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

I am feeling so overwhelmed at the mo with university. I love it so much there but my depression is holding me back. I have been on Venlafaxine since 2004 150mg. I have no motivation to cook myself a meal or do anything. I've been in bed 2 days. Just on the internet. I have been living on chocolate and diet coke to give me energy (yes I know). But its the only thing I have at home. I'm too tired to go to the shop for food and too tired to cook. I live on my own I'm 36.

Amanda

#2 Guest_Sweetest1_*

Guest_Sweetest1_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

I am feeling so overwhelmed at the mo with university. I love it so much there but my depression is holding me back. I have been on Venlafaxine since 2004 150mg. I have no motivation to cook myself a meal or do anything. I've been in bed 2 days. Just on the internet. I have been living on chocolate and diet coke to give me energy (yes I know). But its the only thing I have at home. I'm too tired to go to the shop for food and too tired to cook. I live on my own I'm 36.

Amanda

Could you get yourself to the doctor, or at least call. It sounds like you need a med adjustment. Sometimes they just poop out after you've been on them that long and simply raising the dose can work.

Call the doctor, Amanda

:wwww: :shocked:
Sweetest

#3 Inta

Inta

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:43 PM

Hi and thanks.

Yeah I was going to try and go today but I just cant get up. I can't even open my mail. I got an appointment for tomorrow. Feel like I'm covered in cobwebs. I've not even washed or brushed my teeth.

Amanda

#4 bluebutterfly646

bluebutterfly646

ID: 48400

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

why don't you try ringing a friend or relative and explain your situation and get them to come around and buy you food and cook you a meal or something?

#5 Inta

Inta

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

I don't really want anyone to see me. My place is a mess. I have texted some friends but its late here (London) 23:04pm. Its only at night it all seems worse. I've had my curtains closed all this time too. Doctor tomorrow. Even if I have to take a cab 5 mins walk away or I will get a house call.

#6 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

ID: 10376

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:47 AM

Hi Intagliogirl

I am glad that you are going to see the doctor, as it sounds like you are not doing too well at the moment.
Please let us know how it goes.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#7 Sphinxy

Sphinxy

ID: 15886

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I had to battle with that every day before my zoloft started working although this week I have had a very bad week and felt like you.

Hang in there, I know how hard it is.

Edited by Sphinxy, 14 May 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#8 Peace Walker

Peace Walker

Just Registered

ID: 48504

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

Amanda

I think that motivation is the key here. You have to literally force yourself to get up and live your life. I know it can be extremely difficult and wallowing seems like the easy option, but wallowing in depression and defeat is not the answer, because it digs you into an even deeper hole. The longer you wait, the harder it gets. However, I believe that depression is a personal journey which some people have to endure. So, while you should be doing things and at least attempting to enjoy your life, don't just think that depression will go away easily and completely, just like that. It is like a giant pit, and if you don't attempt to climb back up, you'll fall deeper. I think that depression can absorb your life completely, and that it almost puts you in a derealised state of extreme despair or emptiness. And that is extremely difficult to break out of. However, the more you attempt to live your life, the more pride you can feel for actually trying and the more pride you can feel in choosing strength over simply allowing it to beat you.
I won't say good luck, because that won't make a difference. But, I do hope things get better for you.

#9 Inta

Inta

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:19 AM

Thanks everyone

I went to the Doctor. I'm lucky that my mental health clinic has a duty team if you are having a crisis. I said I wanted to see my consultant or the registrar Psychiatrist to discuss my meds. I have been seeing a Junior Doctor for a while and as much as he needs to learn I need to get better. It took me just under 3 hours to get up washed and ready to go. I also went into university afterwards to see my classmates. I see the registrar on the 25th.

I was good to chat but exhausting. Small steps. I love university I thought it would motivate me but when things get too much or overwhelming I just want to hide away. I feel like I have weights attached to my limbs its so difficult to move. Bed just takes all the weight away from my body.

My friend is meeting me for lunch today so that will help.

#10 Sun_Through_Sky

Sun_Through_Sky

ID: 48305

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

Thanks everyone

I went to the Doctor. I'm lucky that my mental health clinic has a duty team if you are having a crisis. I said I wanted to see my consultant or the registrar Psychiatrist to discuss my meds. I have been seeing a Junior Doctor for a while and as much as he needs to learn I need to get better. It took me just under 3 hours to get up washed and ready to go. I also went into university afterwards to see my classmates. I see the registrar on the 25th.

I was good to chat but exhausting. Small steps. I love university I thought it would motivate me but when things get too much or overwhelming I just want to hide away. I feel like I have weights attached to my limbs its so difficult to move. Bed just takes all the weight away from my body.

My friend is meeting me for lunch today so that will help.

You sound like you have atypical depression. That heaviness in the limbs is called leaden paralysis. One more symptom you have is that you're feeling worse in the evening, while in nonatypical (i.e. melancholic) depression, you feel worse in the morning.

Do you oversleep and overeat as well?

I have the same symptoms as you, and I've been on Zoloft for 5 and a half months. I feel better, more positive, and have a brighter view on things, not so anxious, do not overeat at all (I had pretty bad bulimia). But my lack of energy, motivation, will and interest to do anything (take a shower, etc.) have persisted (although less than before Zoloft). So my pdoc prescribed me Wellbutrin this Monday to give me some energy and motivation. It works on noradrenaline and dopamine. So I'm taking both Zoloft and Wb now. Since I've started taking Wb I wake up a lot easier in the morning and hear my alarm even when I don't have enough sleep! Usually I would not hear it, I have such a deep sleep.

How did things go for you in regards to meds? What are you on now? :shocked:

#11 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:23 AM

Hi Intagliogirl

I am so glad that you went to the doc and that is great that they have crisis duty team.
Take each moment and each day as it comes and you will get there.
How did the lunch go?

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

Posted Image

#12 Inta

Inta

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:17 AM

Hey

Im still pretty bad with the eating and getting up, I ant bear food at the mo which is not helping the energy thing. I have started not getting to sleep till 02:30 then waking really early but my mind is the only thing awake. My body feels so heavy. I have made myself go to university every day so far this week. It takes me about 3 hours to get up and out. Everything is such an effort. My appointment with the psych is not till 25th.

Amanda

#13 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:04 AM

Hi Amanda

The 25th is not that far away now and I hope you can get some help.
I am glad that you are going to university every day, even though it is hard for you to get going.
It shows that you have strength and eventually things will get easier.

Trace

Posted Image

#14 Inta

Inta

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

I went to see my Psychiatrist yesterday. It was a new registrar and he was really lovely (and good looking :shocked: ). He had put aside an hour to talk with me and really reassured me about my worries. I still feel really tired but this week has been better. I'm trying to achieve one thing a day no matter how small. He told me if my body needs a rest I've not to feel guilty or worry about it. He recons with all the exam stress I will get tired quicker.

I've just to keep taking the Venlafaxine for the moment as he doesn't want me to get upset during exam time. He said incase I don't get on with a different dose etc

So thanks for the support and I know where to come now for advice.

Amanda : )

#15 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:55 AM

Hi Amanda

I am so glad that the psychiatrist was lovely and good looking!
He sounds like he is really thoughtful and gives good advise too.
Thank you so much for letting us know how it went and keep strong.

Trace

Posted Image

#16 Inta

Inta

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:30 AM

Its weird though. I'm up and out but I seem to be wandering aimlessly. I decided to go out for a coffee yesterday but after I did that I stood outside the coffee shop for ages trying to figure out what to do next. Even at university they are noticing and commenting on my aimless wandering. My doc is sending me to neurology on Tuesday because I'm getting numb down my left hand side. Ugh will this never end?

Amanda

#17 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

ID: 532

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

Its weird though. I'm up and out but I seem to be wandering aimlessly. I decided to go out for a coffee yesterday but after I did that I stood outside the coffee shop for ages trying to figure out what to do next. Even at university they are noticing and commenting on my aimless wandering. My doc is sending me to neurology on Tuesday because I'm getting numb down my left hand side. Ugh will this never end?

Amanda

I get up like today and I often try to figure out what to do. I know what I should do but what do I want to do? That I don't always know.
The Guy. - Love is patient, love is kind, love never fails.

#18 Violet31

Violet31

ID: 47678

• Platinum Member
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:57 AM

(((Amanda)))

I just finished cleaning my house, working in the garden and gathering pile of garbage after a long period of depression. I was in bed for months, worked from home and didnt want to see anyone, and did not want to have anyone at home. My car was like a junk heaven on wheels until a month ago. I was overweight and lived on junk food. Im slowly getting myself together.

Im glad youve talked to the doctor and pshyciatrist, seeking support and getting better. I know the feeling of wandering aimlessly. Take one step at a time. Youve made an important step by getting out of bed, but remember, dont do too much at once.

Have you considered reading a self help book? There are some really good ones out there. Im now using CBT and had my medication altered. It really works.

Sending you hugs. :shocked:

Edited by Violet31, 29 May 2010 - 10:58 AM.

When you´re going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Viktor Frankl

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Use adversity      Declare Independence 

Violet :rose:

Posted Image

#19 Inta

Inta

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

I've read lots of self help books. I bought a book on procrastination and still haven't read it. Im having schema therapy at the mo. I've had cognitive and psychodynamic in the past but this seems to be helping a lot better. I bought a vitamin tonic thing today to see if it would boost me up. I'm back in bed though. Its supporting all my tired limbs.

Amanda

#20 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:36 AM

Amanda

I just realized how much I feel like you do today with this first post. I am 37, live on my own and too tired to do anything.

#21 Violet31

Violet31

ID: 47678

• Platinum Member
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

I've read lots of self help books. I bought a book on procrastination and still haven't read it. Im having schema therapy at the mo. I've had cognitive and psychodynamic in the past but this seems to be helping a lot better. I bought a vitamin tonic thing today to see if it would boost me up. I'm back in bed though. Its supporting all my tired limbs.

Amanda

Thats good. Just go slow and take your time.

Im currently reading Undoing Depression, What Therapy doest Teach you and Medication cant Give you. I find it really excellent.

Another thing that worked for me is fish oil. I take one capsule of cod oil and one capsule og shark oil.

When I was in bed all those months this winter, I decided to set one goal, work towards it and take it from there. I decided to lose weight and lost 14 kilos since December. It was amazing how boosting it was and it really helped to beat the depression.

Best of luck to you. Youre doing all the right things.
When you´re going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Viktor Frankl

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Use adversity      Declare Independence 

Violet :rose:

Posted Image

#22 george50

george50

ID: 32968

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

I know EXACTLY what you're going though. I was studying an post-grad degree last year, and the stress of final term totally overwhelmed me. For the last few weeks I could barely leave my room, and I just ate nachos (or sometimes just the dry nacho chips when I was too scared to go to the shared kitchen).

I was stuck in a cycle of procrastination. I would just go to the lab, sit there for eight hours, then go home, feeling more depressed as I hadn't achieved anything. Procrastination is a horrible, debilitating state to be in. Its ironic that doing nothing can be so stressful... exhausting even.

I still passed though. You'll get through it, I promise you. :shocked:

#23 nicki_sp

nicki_sp

ID: 1353

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:42 PM

Sun_Through_Sky I have the same symptoms as well. Oversleeping and overeating, although I dont seem to taste anything I am eating. I have been sitting in my apartment with all the blinds closed in the dark....not even realizing I am doing so. It is just quieter and more relaxing...havent been able to shower and the thought of cleaning my apartment is exhausting. Been off work for the last 2 days and finally told work what is going on (although I am sure they already know since I am never to work on time, dont hear my alarm ever). I have been on many different AD's over the last 10 years. Starting to slip again so I am now coming off Effexor XR and going on Cypralex.

Small steps indeed Intagliogirl. Every day is a new day. Hope tomorrow goes well too. Be sure to update us.

#24 Inta

Inta

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

I know EXACTLY what you're going though. I was studying an post-grad degree last year, and the stress of final term totally overwhelmed me. For the last few weeks I could barely leave my room, and I just ate nachos (or sometimes just the dry nacho chips when I was too scared to go to the shared kitchen).

I was stuck in a cycle of procrastination. I would just go to the lab, sit there for eight hours, then go home, feeling more depressed as I hadn't achieved anything. Procrastination is a horrible, debilitating state to be in. Its ironic that doing nothing can be so stressful... exhausting even.

I still passed though. You'll get through it, I promise you. :shocked:

You totally described it well, I am eating crap like nachos and just quick fixes. Prob why I'm so tired. I'm kind of like if I hide away it will go away. I went into university today and basically wandered for 4 hours. I was too anxious to rest and tired walking it is horrible. :wwww:

#25 Inta

Inta

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:33 PM

Sun_Through_Sky I have the same symptoms as well. Oversleeping and overeating, although I dont seem to taste anything I am eating. I have been sitting in my apartment with all the blinds closed in the dark....not even realizing I am doing so. It is just quieter and more relaxing...havent been able to shower and the thought of cleaning my apartment is exhausting. Been off work for the last 2 days and finally told work what is going on (although I am sure they already know since I am never to work on time, dont hear my alarm ever). I have been on many different AD's over the last 10 years. Starting to slip again so I am now coming off Effexor XR and going on Cypralex.

Small steps indeed Intagliogirl. Every day is a new day. Hope tomorrow goes well too. Be sure to update us.

I have been keeping my blinds closed too. I'm trying not to feel guilty about naps too like my doc said if I'm tired sleep! Hungry eat! There was three days last week I had no shower or cleaned my teeth. But I just couldn't think about doing it. I just lay in bed. Thank goodness I live alone. I looked like S**t. Find out if your work has occupational health. I'm British and we are allowed up to 6 months sick on full pay. Then it goes down to half pay. Your doc will need to sign you off work though. Might do you good to "gather yourself". :shocked:

Ugh I'm gonna have "things can only get better" on my tombstone. lol. :wwww:

#26 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:47 AM

It seems like I am at the same stage as you two here. I wake up and just sit on my couch wanting to just sleep the entire day. I haveo motivation. I am supposed to meet someone today and I am wondering how I am going to muster up the energy to do so. I tend to leave my place quiet as well. Noise bothers me right now.

#27 Jkm

Jkm

ID: 28

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:38 AM

I have been dealing with depression for years and find that sitting in the sun to be more helpful than staying in bed. Maybe you can try this. I hope the docs don't find nything else wrong. I know you are worried about things, but that's one of those things that keep us depressed. Maybe your thoughts are at work here and finding something more positive to think about may change the way you precieve things. I know this may be difficult to master, but it's helped me form feeling the helplessness you describe.
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#28 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

I have been dealing with depression for years and find that sitting in the sun to be more helpful than staying in bed. Maybe you can try this. I hope the docs don't find nything else wrong. I know you are worried about things, but that's one of those things that keep us depressed. Maybe your thoughts are at work here and finding something more positive to think about may change the way you precieve things. I know this may be difficult to master, but it's helped me form feeling the helplessness you describe.

I went for a short walk. I actually felt nauseous today. It might have been because of the food I ate yesterday though; too many chocolate chip cookies.

#29 nicki_sp

nicki_sp

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

Hope everyone is doing better this week. My meds are kicking in and now I have a bit of a hop to my step again. Living life to the max. Going to auditions and photoshoots and my day job and generally just living life to the fullest. I hope everyone get to this point...just stick with it and take it day by day. Surround yourself by caring health professionals and go from there :)

#30 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:35 PM

Hope everyone is doing better this week. My meds are kicking in and now I have a bit of a hop to my step again. Living life to the max. Going to auditions and photoshoots and my day job and generally just living life to the fullest. I hope everyone get to this point...just stick with it and take it day by day. Surround yourself by caring health professionals and go from there :)

Nice, that is awesome, what dosage and for how long till it worked for you?

#31 Inta

Inta

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:24 PM

I was wondering how you all were getting on? I got a bit better then pooped out again. I feel narcoleptic! Sleep is physically and mentally irresistable. I also wake with a start as if I jumed out my skin. Its horrible.

#32 Alex925

Alex925

ID: 53646

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

Find out if your work has occupational health. I'm British and we are allowed up to 6 months sick on full pay.

I'm interested if anyone in the US knows what our laws say about this. I think it would fall the under the Family Medical Leave Act.
You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ******* khakis.

#33 nicki_sp

nicki_sp

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

Nice, that is awesome, what dosage and for how long till it worked for you?

sorry for the way delayed response. Been really busy. Like the opposite of what I was feeling this summer. Lots has happened. Switched from Effexor to Cipralex and that worked for a while...until my body became accommodated to it. Then I felt the same symptoms of "zombieishness". Finally got in to see a Psychiatrist...even though the assessment was short I was "diagnosed" with ADHD. I am no longer on antidepressants I am taking Strattera - which is working great. I don't have any side effects. I have energy and a new lease on life....however, I still have that general low mood...I think it is genetic. I found a great article today which is why I signed back into this site...because I wanted to share it. Who knows, you might take something from it.

Life is about helping people and connecting, I hope I can do much more of that in the future. Take care and update us on how you all are doing!

"Please PM Member for Link"

Cheers,

Nicki

Edited by Trace, 25 November 2010 - 05:14 AM.
Link Removed as per TOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users