Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Wellbutrin Withdrawal Symptoms

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Lindsay

Lindsay

Forum Super Administrator

• Super Administrators
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

Wellbutrin (generic name Bupropion) is an antidepressant used to treat depression and smoking cessation. Wellbutrin restores chemical balance in the brain by acting on the norepinephrine and dopamine receptors, and reducing neurotransmitters that work to control muscles extending from the central nervous system.

Discontinuing Wellbutrin

1. Discontinuing Wellbutrin requires the advice of a doctor and should never be stopped abruptly. A gradual decrease is necessary to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Over 50 withdrawal symptoms associated with Wellbutrin have been reported. They range in severity from mild annoyances to life threatening conditions and generally require monitoring by a medical professional.
Physical
2. Physical symptoms include lack of coordination, difficulties maintaining balance, migraines or increased incidence of headaches, tingling or electric shock like sensations, and general lethargy and fatigue. These may signal a more serious condition that requires medical intervention.
Psychological
3. Wellbutrin withdrawal may trigger a host of psychological symptoms that are out of character for the user. Aggressive behavior that is not characteristic for the patient, hostility, irritability, paranoia may occur. Troubling thoughts, anxiety and worsening depression that cannot be explained by circumstances should be reported to the doctor. Highly emotional states, depersonalization, over reaction to normal situations, and severe internal restlessness occur for some patients. Nervousness and crying spells may surface with not apparent reason. Notify your doctor immediately if you experience psychological disturbances that are not characteristic for you or have suicidal thoughts.
Gastrointestinal
4. Withdrawal typically triggers some gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, flatulence, diarrhea, indigestion and stomach cramps. Symptoms are generally mild and last for a few days. If symptoms are severe or last for a prolonged period, medical intervention may be required.
Other Symptoms
5. Other withdrawal symptoms associated with Wellbutrin withdrawal include blurred vision and ringing in the ears. Impaired concentration, dizziness, hallucinations, repetitive thoughts, sleep and sensory disturbances, and tremors may result causing considerable discomfort. Check with your doctor if you experience these or any other symptoms after stopping Wellbutrin.
Time Frame
6. Although most symptoms subside within a few days, some may continue for 8 weeks or more and require medical attention. Early intervention greatly improves treatment and control of symptoms due to withdrawal. With proper medical advice, discontinuing Wellbutrin is safe. Most people experience mild symptoms that last for a few days while the body readjusts.
Expert Insight
7. This information is provided for educational purposes only and should not be substituted for medical advice. If you have questions or concerns contact you health care provider.
Source:
Nannette Richford, eHow Contributing Writer
© 1999-2010 eHow, Inc.

*Forum Admin Note: Most of the symptoms listed must be reported, but in our opinion are not very common if you follow directions from your physician, plus when you discontinue at a slow pace, you then will get through your discontinuation of your meds successfully without any major symptoms.
Warning- Most discomfort symptoms happen if you go off your medications Cold Turkey!
We have Discontinuation Articles and Symptoms through out our Forums if you do a search. :shocked:

• 20YearsandCounting likes this

Be Well....

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

Forum Super Administrator
DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.  
My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

#2 xtreme88

xtreme88

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

I dont think I would ever touch an anti depressent again in my life I got the ringing (tinnitus) from 1 week on citalopram and i got off right away and its been 3 months and i still hear it

and people say it can take even longer or never go away

Wellbutrin (generic name Bupropion) is an antidepressant used to treat depression and smoking cessation. Wellbutrin restores chemical balance in the brain by acting on the norepinephrine and dopamine receptors, and reducing neurotransmitters that work to control muscles extending from the central nervous system.

Discontinuing Wellbutrin

1. Discontinuing Wellbutrin requires the advice of a doctor and should never be stopped abruptly. A gradual decrease is necessary to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Over 50 withdrawal symptoms associated with Wellbutrin have been reported. They range in severity from mild annoyances to life threatening conditions and generally require monitoring by a medical professional.
Physical
2. Physical symptoms include lack of coordination, difficulties maintaining balance, migraines or increased incidence of headaches, tingling or electric shock like sensations, and general lethargy and fatigue. These may signal a more serious condition that requires medical intervention.
Psychological
3. Wellbutrin withdrawal may trigger a host of psychological symptoms that are out of character for the user. Aggressive behavior that is not characteristic for the patient, hostility, irritability, paranoia may occur. Troubling thoughts, anxiety and worsening depression that cannot be explained by circumstances should be reported to the doctor. Highly emotional states, depersonalization, over reaction to normal situations, and severe internal restlessness occur for some patients. Nervousness and crying spells may surface with not apparent reason. Notify your doctor immediately if you experience psychological disturbances that are not characteristic for you or have suicidal thoughts.
Gastrointestinal
4. Withdrawal typically triggers some gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, flatulence, diarrhea, indigestion and stomach cramps. Symptoms are generally mild and last for a few days. If symptoms are severe or last for a prolonged period, medical intervention may be required.
Other Symptoms
5. Other withdrawal symptoms associated with Wellbutrin withdrawal include blurred vision and ringing in the ears. Impaired concentration, dizziness, hallucinations, repetitive thoughts, sleep and sensory disturbances, and tremors may result causing considerable discomfort. Check with your doctor if you experience these or any other symptoms after stopping Wellbutrin.
Time Frame
6. Although most symptoms subside within a few days, some may continue for 8 weeks or more and require medical attention. Early intervention greatly improves treatment and control of symptoms due to withdrawal. With proper medical advice, discontinuing Wellbutrin is safe. Most people experience mild symptoms that last for a few days while the body readjusts.
Expert Insight
7. This information is provided for educational purposes only and should not be substituted for medical advice. If you have questions or concerns contact you health care provider.
Source:
Nannette Richford, eHow Contributing Writer
© 1999-2010 eHow, Inc.

*Forum Admin Note: Most of the symptoms listed must be reported, but in our opinion are not very common if you follow directions from your physician, plus when you discontinue at a slow pace, you then will get through your discontinuation of your meds successfully without any major symptoms.
Warning- Most discomfort symptoms happen if you go off your medications Cold Turkey!
We have Discontinuation Articles and Symptoms through out our Forums if you do a search. :shocked:

#3 Aniela

Aniela

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:52 AM

I dont think I would ever touch an anti depressent again in my life I got the ringing (tinnitus) from 1 week on citalopram and i got off right away and its been 3 months and i still hear it

and people say it can take even longer or never go away

I am glad I didn't get ringing with it but they say everyone is different. I am being weened off it and am taking Wellbutrin and am glad to see this thread as now I know why I feel irritated. Does that feeling get better with Wellbutrin?
I try to be strong and not let them see my vulnerability.
I have a chronic need for approval but am told it's not about me.
I really want to belong somewhere and just to be happy....
To be wanted by those around me, especially friends and family.

#4 playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

Can wellbutrin cause depersonalzation or worse depersonalzation both on it or coming off of it? Also can wellbutrin cause worse visual snow coming off of it?

#5 bloodycrumpetlyra

bloodycrumpetlyra

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:54 AM

I just quit Wellbutrin (bupropion XL)cold turkey about a week ago, after being on it for a few months at 150mg. I had a few nasty side effects (superdepression, insane fatigue...etc) but they're mostly gone now. However, in the past week I have gained almost 5 pounds. I'm not sedentary and I have been eating barely anything ( like 600 calories a day- a habit since i've started antidepressants; i feel no hunger pangs anymore. My weight UNTILhas not fluctuated and has remained at a healthy 140 pounds. When I do eat, it's usually healthy.)
I really have done nothing to physically CAUSE weight gain, but it's starting to make me very anxious. Is it gonna stop, or is there anything I can do to counter it?

#6 AnneT

AnneT

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

Last year I tried to taper off Wellbutrin 150 XL by stretching the time between doses. Also tried compounded 140 mg, 130 mg, etc to go gradually - not sure it was actually long-acting. I got lots of terrible vertigo/vomiting episodes. I may also have Menieres, as I do have tinnitus and right sided hearing loss. Once I went back on the 150 XL daily, the really severe vertigo episodes stopped.

I'm now brave enough to try another taper, using the SR and breaking them. I know that in general you are not supposed to break long-acting meds, but I found a manufacturer's note about a study that showed breaking the SRs results in similar pharmacodynamics except for a peak at around 15 minutes.

Anyone else have problems/success with discontinuing Wellbutrin?

#7 caitlin12095

caitlin12095

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

I'm scared! After having an anxiety attack my pdoc told me to quit Wellbutrin cold turkey. He said I wouldn't have any withdrawals but I'm not sure I believe him. I've been on Wellbutrin SR 75 mg twice a day (150 mg) for a month. My symptoms on this medicine so far have been hell, and I don't want to go through withdrawals too! Help!

#8 DavidM

DavidM

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

This is my first time in one of these forums and I am scared too. I started taking Lyrica (75mg) once a day a few months ago. Around March 15, I got a very bad cold/flu that lasted for several weeks. I developed tinnitus in my right ear that came and went and is now at a constant level. My right eustachian tube feels full but I have no hearing loss. I am on my second round of Prednisone which seems to do nothing but make me retain water and make me really aggressive. On April 11 I began taking 150mg of Wellbutrin XL once a day. Since then I have descended into constant vertigo/dizziness. I have been tested for everything under the sun - they first thought it was BBPV and then they thought it might be Labrynthitis. Now I'm thinking it might be Menieres disease. I do not recognize my body anymore, I feel like I am walking on marshmallows all the time. I am doing my best to keep my panic attacks/stress/anxiety to a minimum. I have a psychiatrist and an ENT who don't communicate and continue to think this is related to some virus that has taken up residence in my inner ear region. Meanwhile, I keep going to get scans/tests/scripts and I feel like I'm up s*it's creek with no paddle (excuse the coarse language) and I am really, really scared. I used to think the tinnitus would make me go insane and now the lack of balance has really incapacitated me. I just want to stop taking everything and see what happens. AnneT seems to have a bit of a similar experience with the tinnitus and vertigo. Can anyone help me? Advice? Words of support? Whatever you've got, I'll take. I'm so grateful for forums like this. Thank you for reading.

#9 gallio

gallio

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

David, side effects of Wellbutrin can include vertigo and increased anxiety/irritability/reactiveness. Since you haven't been taking Wellbutrin for long, you can probably stop without experiencing withdrawal symptoms but I'd definitely talk to your psychiatrist first. Presumably that's the one who prescribed Wellbutrin? It seems odd to me that, given your symptoms, any medical professional would add Wellbutrin before figuring out the origin of the other problems. I hope you feel comfortable enough with your doctors to talk to them about the emotional effects you're experiencing; these are just as real and significant as the physical symptoms.

Do all your doctors have a complete list of all your medications? Even if they don't talk to each other, they should know about everything you take, even vitamins. You mention virus rather than infection. I used to get a lot of sinus infections and know they can be very difficult to treat. Some doctors still try multiple antibiotics; others now cite research saying that the antibiotics don't eliminate these infections. Viruses, on the other hand, definitely do not respond to antibiotics.

Edited by gallio, 29 April 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#10 kesari99

kesari99

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

I was on Wellbutrin for over a year. My hair was thinning out tremendously, ans also was feeling better. So, after consulting my psychiatrist, I have discontinued it since the past 3 months. To stop hair loss started a supplement. Since then, I have put on 5-7 lbs of weight. Cannot figure out what might have triggered it, withdrawal from Wellbutrin or the Hair Nail and skin supplement. Am freaking out, wouls appreciate some help or anyone has similar withdrawal symptoms..I do not wish to start Wellbutrin again.

#11 Sunday8

Sunday8

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hello - Just want to post my experience with coming off Wellbutrin - hopefully to allay some fears. I was on 300mg for 2 years for severe depression. At the beginning the side effects were so extreme I didn't think I could keep taking it - dry mouth, headaches, horrible toothaches, constantly clenched muscles, dry skin, ringing in the ears, weightloss(ok...that wasn't so bad..ha),insomnia, etc. And because the effects going ON the drug were so harsh, I fully expected coming OFF the drug to be just a bad, if not worse. Well...its actually pretty ok so far. I've been off for 3 weeks and the only effects worth noting was being pretty sleepy. Whih isn't suprising since WB is a stimulant. Take away the stimulant, you take away the extra energy and probably the weight loss. My metabolism will adjust to burning less calories. My doctor assured me that Wellbutrin has minimal reports of withdrawal symptoms. That my experience is typical and i really didn;t believe him but i should've. That's not to discount anyone else having a hard time with it but I wanted to put out a good experience for people to see, too.

#12 MeohS7

MeohS7

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

I'm kind of scared. i just mailed away for my wellbutrin. i wont be starting it for another 12 days. i took it 14 years ago and it made me very tired but i may have had epstein-barr virus or possibly i was at the end of a 5.5 year hypo-manic episode.

I have been lethargic for the last 14 years with only the briefest moments of energy. i am really hoping this drug doesn't undo what the adderall does for me but i need an anti-depressant and serotonin aacting drugs really screw me up.

#13 Down That Road

Down That Road

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

I have been on and off a number of medications over the years. The only one that I ever had a problem with was Effexor, which was the worst I've ever felt in my life. I've gone off Wellbutrin before, cold turkey, and didn't have any real side effects that I recall. I'm not sure why. Perhaps because I was taking a serotonin medication at the time as well. I'm currently taking Wellbutrin again, this time with no other medication and am tapering off. I take SR 150 mg once daily and for the past two days have taken 1/2 a pill.

I am extremely tired already, fatigued as well as really sleepy. I've felt this before when I would forget to take the pill on a given morning, so I'm not really surprised. I'm feeling a little foggy too. More alarming to me is that when I am falling asleep or waking up I am feeling this kind of extreme impending doom, something awful is about to happen, panicky feeling. Today I've been trying to nap because I'm so sleepy, and I will sleep for a few minutes and then wake up, over and over and each time having this feeling. I also am having more vivid, intense dreams, including a lucid dream, none of which have been pleasant. The bad feelings abate somewhat once I'm up, but it really scares me. I also have my period, so I'm hoping that these effects are exacerbated by that and that this will not continue.

Has anyone else had something similar happen? I feel like I can handle the physical side effects but these emotional changes are very worrisome for me. I saw my doctor today and told her I wanted to taper off Wellbutrin to see what would happen because I felt it was making me too jumpy and my depression/anxiety symptoms were gone. She prescribed me 100 mg SR and told me to take it for a week before I stopped taking it completely, which doesn't seem that different from the 75 mg I've taken for the past couple of days, unless there is is some effect of breaking the SR in half or something.

#14 From Cambria

From Cambria

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

I've been on Wellbutrin for a few months now, but I can't say that I like it very much. My doctor didn't even warn me that there were serious withdrawal symptoms when forgetting/discontinuing treatment with it. Needless to say I was really, really freaked out the first time I forgot a day of pills. I seriously thought I was severely ill or something.

What I dislike the most is that my body seems to be building an immunity to it. Originally I was prescribed bupropion as some sort of an add-on to my paroxetine (generic for Paxil) to act as an antidepressant. (The paroxetine is for my anxiety.) But it's not doing much at all now, and its effects have been reaching ultimate lows lately. Not to mention that every time I forget to take it (which isn't often, mind you) the withdrawal symptoms get worse and take longer to go away. My regular dose is 150mg, and I had to take 225mg in the span of four hours just in the vague, maybe-hope that the nausea and dizziness would go away. The migraine I can deal with in other ways, but...

Additionally, I would like to mention that the maximum dose that can/should be prescribed for bupropion is 450mg. Which is why I didn't feel too uncomfortable taking an extra half pill. But I wouldn't suggest anyone do the same; what I did was moderately reckless, and should really not be attempted.

...that is all.

#15 mcb00

mcb00

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

I too started Wellbutrin recently as an add on to Zoloft. I was still drowsy/tired and unmotivated on Zoloft. The nurse thought Wellbutrin was a reasonable add on to improve depression and also help with concentration/focus (I'm in grad school and struggle a *lot* with procrastination and reading).

Last time I tried Wellbutrin years ago I did not like it. It gave me muscle twitches/involuntary movements on arms and legs. I also got what could have been an episode of panic or depersonalization. Hard to describe. I just remember feeling unreal and feeling like something was really wrong. I was scared I would black out, but it did not happen.

I'm not sensitive to meds and rarely get really bothersome side effects that don't fade in a week or two. Wellbutrin was the one I reacted the worst to, and I've tried quite a few antidepressant/mood regulators.

Anyway, that was years ago and I was on other meds at the time, so I thought I'd give wellbutrin a second try. I started it 9 days ago. The first few days I noticed my pupils were very dilated and my eyes felt strained. They were dry but also tired and bothered by light and by unfocused images.

The next few days they felt less weird, but still tired and dried. I'd wake up with a feeling of congestion, like when you have a cold or allergies. My eyes would feel watery/blurry. I thought it would go away but instead it got worse. It got to the point where I felt like I had the flu permanently. A constant dull headache and feeling of malaise. My head felt heavy and tired.

I was a having a hard time with school and I thought it was the result of these flu-like symptoms and not enough sleep. I would not understand people discussing complex ideas in class. Then I realized I was having a hard time reading and writing complex things. I could not get my homework done.

I have a midterm paper and don't know how I will do it! It's due in 3 days. If I quit the wellbutrin I might get worse symptoms. If I take it, I'll keep getting these side effects or worse. I'm calling the nurse tomorrow.

Anyone has any thoughts on what I can do to deal with side effect so I can write my midterm??

Thanks!

Edited by mcb00, 12 October 2012 - 01:22 AM.

#16 mayally

mayally

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Here's what I know about Wellbutrin, and also why it was prescribed for me. For those who may have an inability to function for elongated periods of time and experience hypersomnia, (constant sleep and inability to wake up), as well as major depressive disorder..Wellbutrin may be one of the first Rxs a physician will try. Psychiatrists, therapists and neurologists have all pondered the question:
Is it the hypersomnia and inability to function that is creating the depression..
or
is the depression creating the constant sleep..?

I used to be consumed with the answer to that question and now (I hate to report)..I guess I just don't care. Direct stimulants that were strong enough to make an elepahnt hyper sedated me. Indirect stimulants did the same. Now all I care about is finding some way to function and stay awake for longer than 2 1/2 hours at a time. I've been on every single antidepressant (including 3 MAOi's) and they have all sedated me within minutes with a couple of exceptions. For approximately 5 1/2 months, an MAOi called Parnate was beneficial and I thought I had (finally) landed on the "magic pill" that would "fix" me. The side effects and restrictions were many (as with all MAOi's), but I didn't care. I would have cut off a hand if it meant relief from depression and constant sleep. The benefits of Parnate were outweighed by the negatives at first but within 6 months time, it too fully sedated me (not to mention I fainted numerous times). The other exception was Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin is known as an indirect stimulant, or one of the antidepressants that is less sedating. I have revisited Wellbutrin because I still hold out a small glimmer of hope that it will do the trick..this time around. It (non clinical term) pooped out after 5 - 6 months each of the 4 times I have been on the med. The shocking thing was that when it pooped out..it really pooped out. For me, it simply stopped working all together..within days (no kidding) it just stopped. I've heard/read others who reported that a med stopped all-of-a-sudden and some have said ..'it was as if my Rx had been replaced with a placebo because it simply stopped working'..which is exactly what happened to me. None the less, I still weened off (even though it had pooped out).

It should be mentioned however, that since then I have read about some meds and how they are no longer sent in the mail because high heat can reduce their effectiveness and at the time, I was getting my Wellbutrin via mail..it's possible the abrupt pooping out was a result of having a Rx program that mailed meds.

I have been on Wellbutrin (again) for the last 2 months now and I'm on the fence as to it's benefits for me personally. As noted..we are all very different from one another. Each of our grey matters are unique. For any of you contributors who have experienced agitation, nervousness, increased depression, jitters, possibly even sleepless nights..just know that you aren't imagining things. Wellbutrin was prescribed for me because I have some sort of (for lack of a better term) sleep-coma disease and Wellbutrin is the least sedative, indirect stimulant form of an antidepressant. That means that any of you that are bi-polar, or experience mania, extreme agitation and nervousness with panic attacks and/or heart palpitations..anxiety, etc.. the truth is, I question prescribing Wellbutrin when one is prone to panic and has insomnia. Wellbutrin may very well be exacerbating your condition(s). That really could be a dangerous thing. No doubt about that. It doesn't do that for me because I'm plagued with an inability to function and chronic sleep..but for one who has panic disorder, this med could flip your switch (so to speak).

Weening off is mandatory for any/all antidepressant and you owe it to yourself to touch base with the prescribing physician. If he/she is disinterested (some are)..go to your pharmacist and discuss the adverse effects and other particulars re: weening off. I am following this thread closely, as I really want to believe that Wellbutrin is effective for some people = will be effective for me, too. Hope so.

Take care, everybody. Try not to get discouraged.

#17 mayally

mayally

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'm kind of scared. i just mailed away for my wellbutrin. i wont be starting it for another 12 days. i took it 14 years ago and it made me very tired but i may have had epstein-barr virus or possibly i was at the end of a 5.5 year hypo-manic episode.

I have been lethargic for the last 14 years with only the briefest moments of energy. i am really hoping this drug doesn't undo what the adderall does for me but i need an anti-depressant and serotonin aacting drugs really screw me up.

It's been a while since your post..hopefully all is well with you. I thought it was important to touch on mail order Rx meds, as newer reports have revealed that certain medications lose effectiveness when subjected to high heat. Thyroid meds and antidepressants are greatly effected by heat. (as are vitamins and supplements..matter of fact, all Rx and over-the-counter meds should never be in high heat for periods of time). Ordering via mail order should be addressed with the customer service pharmacy team.

healing well.com~mail order Rx meds losing effectiveness due to heat:
http://news.healingw...news1&id=522025

#18 Butterfly81

Butterfly81

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

When I first started on Welbutrin XL in 2008 it was a miracle drug for my major depression within a week literally my depression lifted and I felt so much better over the years while remaining on Welbutrin XL at the max dose of 450mg and going back and forth to 300mg the effects have not benefited me as much, but no other anti-depressant has worked. Welbutrin XL as explained by my psychiatrist is in a class of it's own and there is no other drug out there like it. I did try vibryd which did work but when I came off the welbutrin XL and saw that I gained 5lbs in a week I went right back on it. The only thing I can say is while being on Welbutrin XL I have episodes every 6 months and I wonder if I didn't care as much about my weight if Vibryd would resolve that solution but I am not willing to gain weight and be miserable. If that makes sense.

#19 C George

C George

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

Just A quick story as I've been on Bupropion for many years. So many that I actually

have forgotten how long. I'm extremely sensitive to medications , chemicals , ect.

I usually only take 112.50 mg. and rarely 150 mg. a day.

I dropped my daily intake to 75mg for a few weeks and it sucked big time .

I actually didn't think it was the Bupropion as I just felt like crap , splitting headaches ,

crash at 2-3 in the afternoon and sleep for 2-3 hours , really depressed.

This week I went back to the 112.50 mg.'s a day. Scary how much better I feel.

I wish I wasn't as dependant on it but what you going to do.

#20 artv4nd3l4y

artv4nd3l4y

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

This surprises me, I may be lucky as for never experiencing withdrawal from anything but here's my story.  I began at 14 getting prescribed to 30 mg Cymbalta which increased to 60 mg ater two months and took it for another week until I started doing some out of character things, like vandalizing.  So I quit that and was taken off with no trouble and that's when I started Wellbutrin.  I started out at 150 mg and slowly went up to 300 mg until about a year then I went up to 450 mg the usual max dose.  When I was 17 for some reason I started taking even more than I should've, sometimes I would literally double the dose (not a problem with the tolerance I had to it), all in all I took this medication until I was 19 at the maximum dosage (and even higher) for the majority of it.  When I turned 19 I played on the Vans Warped Tour and started to not really feel like taking it anymore and I just stopped with no problem.  A lot of withdrawal I believe can be mental as well, not saying it is for everyone as everyone's bodies are different.  Just felt like saying there's many people that can stop cold turkey without a problem or feeling terrible.  Also from 19 to 20 I drank heavily once I discovered what alcohol was like (family history likes alcohol a lot), i started to drink literally everyday for about a year and stopped no problems (unbelievable amounts many nights 20 beers in under 2 hours and would wake up fine with no hangover somehow, not anymore though that i'm 21 of course lol im not used to it anymore) not that alcohol has anything to do with wellbutrin, but both are capable of producing withdrawal when used for an extensive period, and perhaps some people are just less vulnerable to dependence for whatever reason.  Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've read that many people can discontinue Wellbutrin with only minor issues, so don't assume you're going to have withdrawal, but as always refer to your doctor's supervision as some people can experience really bad symptoms and it was not smart for me to stop on my own.

#21 SandyCheeks

SandyCheeks

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

I am weaning off of Bupropion SR, 150 mg a day. This is my first AD and I have been on it for about 7 months. This is my third attempt at trying to come off. It worked great in the beginning. I felt so much better, then i must have gained a tolerance to it because I feel worse then ever on it. It makes my anxiety so much worse. So, this is day 3 or so of withdrawal and I barely slept last night, and I have had a headache/neck ache for the past 24 hours. I have two little ones at home to take care of, I just have to push through. Send some positives thoughts my way please! Also, does anyone have any tips for helping the withdrawal headaches and sleeplessness?

#22 RVP

RVP

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hi! well, I am with great problems to stop wellbutrin... I am currently taking as high as 900mg/day and my blood pressure is getting too high. I tied to stop it for a week and I got sleepy and very irritable, and I gained about 10 pounds. Now I am askig for help to stop it. I am on mirtazapine, abilify and rivotril... I was reading some threads and I am thinking in add memantine(till 40mg/day if needed). Do you think it could help me? what about sertraline?

I'd really appreciate any help cause alone I dont think I can stop it cold turkey...

Tanks for awhile... Regads, RVP.

#23 ScarlettPill

ScarlettPill

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hi everyone!

I need some help.

I start taking buproprion 150mg on the 22th, as prescribed by my psychiatrist. Until then I was taking escitalopram.

Theese two weeks felt like hell to me. I get really nauseous for hours everytime I eat, no matter what I eat, I'm always dizzy, my head feels weird, my insomnia got worse, my hands shake all the time, my mouth is dry and tastes funny, I cry all the time, I have constant headaches ... Well, I got a lot of the listed side effects, and the nausea and dizziness are too strong, I can't focus, I can barely stand up, I'm in bed almost 24/7. And I don't feel any positive effect.

I try to contact my psychiatrist, but she's on vacation, and I only have her practice number, where no one answers. I got a consult with my GP, but she says she doesn't feel comfortable changing the medication, so she prescribed me doxylamine for the nausea, and that didn't help at all. A pharmacist also suggested domperidone instead of doxylamine, but I still feel bad, and it's not helping.

My psychiatrist is not coming from her vacation until August 26th, but I can't wait that long, I can't study or work or even do daily household tasks.

I was thinking I should stop taking burproprion at all, but I'm afraid I'll get even worse with withdrawal symptoms. Do you think two weeks is enough to cause withdrawal symptoms?

#24 Saros

Saros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

Scarlett, could these symptoms also be related to you stopping escitalopram? If you went cold turkey when you switched to bupropion, nausea and dizziness wouldn't be unusual for escitalopram withdrawal. Check out that subforum, too.

#25 in the shadows

in the shadows

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

I stopped the wellbutrin and I became so paranoid and had very disturbing thoughts,

#26 lcdream

lcdream

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:06 AM

I have only been on Wellbutrin SR 100mg for 5 days, and 50mg for 4 days before that. I am finding the increased anxiety unbearable. My question is whether I can stop it cold turkey, since I have been on it for such a short amount of time. My doc says I have not even reached the "therapeutic dose - 200 mg" yet. I am supposed to be titrating up to that today, but I am too terrified because of the non-stop panic symptoms. So, can I just stop it altogeher, without going back down to 50 mg for a week, etc.?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

#27 Saros

Saros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

I have only been on Wellbutrin SR 100mg for 5 days, and 50mg for 4 days before that. I am finding the increased anxiety unbearable. My question is whether I can stop it cold turkey, since I have been on it for such a short amount of time. My doc says I have not even reached the "therapeutic dose - 200 mg" yet. I am supposed to be titrating up to that today, but I am too terrified because of the non-stop panic symptoms. So, can I just stop it altogeher, without going back down to 50 mg for a week, etc.?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

You'll have to rely on the recommendation of your mental health specialist for your specific circumstances. That being said, I stopped 300mg after a few months cold turkey, no problems, no objections from my psychiatrist.

My psych has pointed out that bupropion can contraindicated by excessive anxiety, so it's a reason others have backed down to.

I thought "therapeautic dose" varied very much from person to person, and there is no "200mg" rule.

#28 taylor_d

taylor_d

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

Withdrawals Or Whats Under The Bandaid?

I just wondered if anyone could help advise me about withdrawal symptoms from wellbutrin?
Im feeling agitated, restless, heightened senses in sound and smell, easily annoyed, slow from thought to speech, cant bare repeating or explaining myself. Feeling strong sense of anger and almost rage throughout my body at times
I don't understand it as there is no reason for any of it. Theres no thought or stress that could make my body and brain react this way.

I was on zoloft 100mg and wellbutrin 450mg and klonapin 2mg before bed for 2 years since a massive car accident in whichni had multiple fractures and a head injury. Im now down to only the 300mg wellbutrin and the 2mg klonapin.

The reason im coming off is because I have done the emotional journey work and in the last 2 years ive been very flat and apathetic. I have no motivation to go anywhere or do anything. As weird as this may sound....I dont feel depressed.

I wanted to come off the meds under the guidance of my psychiatrist, to see where I am in my head.
Is this withdrawals or have I been masking issues over the last 2 years with pills?
I feel like im trapped in someone elses head and body as im not an angry, agitated person. Its like being held prisoner and its so uncomfortable 

#29 Saros

Saros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:22 AM

So you've gone from apathetic to angry, corresponding with titrating down on the meds?

There could be underlying issues, but you're the best person to assess the possibility for that. You may have to just ride it out for a few months until the medication is finally half-lifed out of your system, and after that when your chemistry decides on a new balance point. Whatever your mental health specialist can suggest or recommend would be better-informed than my opinion.

Anyway, if there's one point of real information I can offer, it that's plenty of people here have posted apparent withdrawal side-effects after having been on meds for a while, and these have included altered mental states. Anger, confusion, and crying jags have all been described.

Hope things get better for you soon.

• taylor_d likes this

#30 taylor_d

taylor_d

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

So you've gone from apathetic to angry, corresponding with titrating down on the meds?

There could be underlying issues, but you're the best person to assess the possibility for that. You may have to just ride it out for a few months until the medication is finally half-lifed out of your system, and after that when your chemistry decides on a new balance point. Whatever your mental health specialist can suggest or recommend would be better-informed than my opinion.

Anyway, if there's one point of real information I can offer, it that's plenty of people here have posted apparent withdrawal side-effects after having been on meds for a while, and these have included altered mental states. Anger, confusion, and crying jags have all been described.

Hope things get better for you soon.

Hi

Thank you for replying to me, I really appreciate it.

My psychiatrist has now advised me to take Prozac 20mg whilst tapering off the Wellbutrin (today im on 150mg). I def think its just me reacting to wellbutrin on its own as I used to be on zoloft at the same time.

I've done a huge amount of personal development emotionally and whilst being on the wellbutrin and zoloft ive managed to work through a lot of deep rooted stuff.

It just kept me uninterested in life, which i didnt realize tll over year later i got a car and suddenly realized..'why dont i want to go anywhere'

There could be underlying issues like you say, but i just couldn't withdraw under the wellbutrin without feeling like i was a prisoner in an angry persons head.

ok, so lets see what the prozac does :)

wish me luck and thanks again

#31 ChloeC

ChloeC

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:39 AM

Withdrawals from Bupropion.SR 150 ml.

#32 ChloeC

ChloeC

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:07 AM

I have been taking 150ml.of Bupropion For three years.Not so much for depression but going through difficult times and have mild adult ADD. My Dr assured me when I was ready to stop..I would not have any problems just stopping.I felt like I didn't really need to be on it any more Within about 2 weeks of stopping abruptly I had a severe attack of vertigo diagnosed as BPPV. I was hospitalized for a day until we could Rule out a stroke or something more serious. I never at the time put the two together..I am 53 very healthy and have never been dizzy in my life. This was unusual in its severity for me..I have gone for therapy at a vertigo clinic which did help.I am now slowly feeling my head on my shoulders like I used to. Thank god it is passing. It has been 5 weeks since it happened. I would assume not stopping gradually may have contributed or maybe just having been on it for 3 years.Im not sure I'll ever know for sure, But if this happens to enough people we will know that this drug has some wild scary consequences regardless of its great reputation for so many various uses. .

Edited by ChloeC, 09 June 2014 - 01:10 AM.

#33 ChloeC

ChloeC

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:15 AM

Btw..have also had some minor anxiety attacks but have paled in comparison to the vertigo episode.

#34 MarchWinds

MarchWinds

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

I stopped 300mg of Wellbutrin XL cold turkey on the advice of a psychiatrist. I already take escitalopram. He said I would have no withdrawal symptoms. He was right! Nothing. Nada. Zip. In fact, I had no side effects when I first started Wellbutrin, no anti-depressant effects from it, and not withdrawal effects. If might as well has been sugar. 

It is the only drug I have ever taken that did nothing. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users