Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Do You Tell A Therapist You Don't Want To See Them Anymore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tryingtobehopeful

Tryingtobehopeful

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:02 AM

Hi,

I have been seeing my psychiatrist for far too long. I withhold information from her just because she isnt very comforting to me when I tell her of all of the pains in my life. I should have told her long ago that it just wasnt working, but am scared to do it. I have another therapist that I have seen in the past and really like, I was wondering if she could talk to my psychiatrist and tell her...

Have you ever had to tell a therapist you don't want to see them anymore? How did you do it? What was their reaction?

Thanks.

#2 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:11 AM

Hi Tryingtobehopeful

I had one therapist that I did not like and I just said to him that I did not need him anymore.
They are used having people ending therapy.
I know you are nervous about it, but there is not much your therapist can do and she should not stop you.
She may ask you why you want to discontinue and you could tell her something along the lines of that you think you have outgrown her and you need to move on.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#3 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,603 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:59 AM

If you're not receiving positive guidance and feedback as you work through your issues, it's time to take a look at yourself and the working relationship with your therapist. It may be time for you to take a break to see if you can handle things on your own. You can tell your therapist just that-that you want to go it alone for awhile. She will understand as that is what they truly want to hear from a client-that they feel well. If, at a later time, you feel the need for therapy again, you choose another therapist or go back to her.

I have been told by my therapist that it's time to try life on my own without her. She would be there if I needed to come back. Another time, I told the therapist, he wasn't listening to me (most the time he fell asleep during sessions) and sought a new therapist within the group practice.

If you can't tell your therapist face-to-face, write her a letter that you won't be returning. Thank her for her help (leaves the door open). Don't involve another therapist as it will make him/her uncomfortable and sort of interferes with their professional ethics/courtesy.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#4 AngelOfTheMoor

AngelOfTheMoor

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:42 AM

I had extreme problems with doing this, too. In fact, I saw my therapist for months longer than I wanted to just because I was afraid to tell him that I didn't want to see him anymore. I know that therapists deal with that all the time, but I still couldn't bring myself to tell him. It make me feel panicky. I still need(ed) therapy; I just didn't want him to be my therapist. Here's what I did (an approach I don't recommend):

I canceled the last appointment that I'd had scheduled with him because I wasn't feeling well. Then, I just never called back to schedule an appointment. I feel really guilty about it because I'm afraid that I just left him hanging. But I couldn't bring myself to actually tell him that I didn't want to see him. If he ever calls me, I'm just going to pretend that I'd forgotten about making appointments with him and then explain that I don't want to do so. I'm seeing another therapist now, and I ensured that I chose someone who doesn't work in the same building as him because I don't want him to know about it. My pdoc does work in the same building as him, though, so I'm constantly afraid that I might see him when I go to the pdoc.

So, I can relate. And this story goes to show that, no matter what you do, it can't be worse or more awkward than what I did. :shocked: Good luck.

#5 warpysaint

warpysaint

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:35 AM

I had extreme problems with doing this, too. In fact, I saw my therapist for months longer than I wanted to just because I was afraid to tell him that I didn't want to see him anymore. I know that therapists deal with that all the time, but I still couldn't bring myself to tell him. It make me feel panicky. I still need(ed) therapy; I just didn't want him to be my therapist. Here's what I did (an approach I don't recommend):

I canceled the last appointment that I'd had scheduled with him because I wasn't feeling well. Then, I just never called back to schedule an appointment. I feel really guilty about it because I'm afraid that I just left him hanging. But I couldn't bring myself to actually tell him that I didn't want to see him. If he ever calls me, I'm just going to pretend that I'd forgotten about making appointments with him and then explain that I don't want to do so. I'm seeing another therapist now, and I ensured that I chose someone who doesn't work in the same building as him because I don't want him to know about it. My pdoc does work in the same building as him, though, so I'm constantly afraid that I might see him when I go to the pdoc.

So, I can relate. And this story goes to show that, no matter what you do, it can't be worse or more awkward than what I did. :shocked: Good luck.

I told one that money and logistical problems were necessitating an end.... which was MOSTLY true.... but it still was hard to do... come to think of it, I believe I left that as a message on her answering machine when I knew she was with a client.

-WS
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

"I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime..." -Big CountryPosted Image

#6 Guest_bravetwilight_*

Guest_bravetwilight_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

Just don't make any more appointments. It's easy actually. It's part of their job to accept that patients/clients won't show up anymore. But it is a good thing to call them and tell them why you changed therapists because they have to write something in their patient's notes and you don't want them making something up that isn't true. I've had many shrinks, counselors, social workers, you name it and I found out the hard way that they write stuff in the patient's notes that will cover their legal *** if ever anything happens. And another good idea is to request copies of all of your doctor's/therapist's notes. This way you have control over the situation, legally and mentally too.

Remember that you are paying them for a service. Bottom line. I call therapists, mental prostitutes! HA. I buy their time to listen to me and hopefully they will be wise and trained enough to give my mind something good to chew on, something that will guide me and direct me to accepting what I go through in depression...all that jazz. Oh another thing I learned was that therapists are not there to make us feel good. If they do then that's a bonus but in their minds they are there to a service that is designed to help us process our "issues" and that is hard work. With each new therapist I went to it was only in the first two session where s/he made me feel good. It is a method of gaining our trust so we will continue on with them therefore making more money.

I know I sound jaded about therapists but in a fundamental vein of thinking, mentally ill people should not have to travel to a therapists office or clinic and their services should be free and appointments/sessions should not be clocked ! The way our healing systems are set up work against nature, not with it.

hope this helps in some odd way.....HA.

bravetwilight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users