Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Just Starting Amitriptyline

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

I am on 30mg for anxiety and depression but mostly anxiety. I do feel as if I have no energy or motivation. How long does it take for this AD to help with the depression? Will I have energy and actually feel alive? I am just feeling down right now though :shocked:
The Guy. - Love is patient, love is kind, love never fails.

#2 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:20 PM

Hi theguy, It will take "weeks" for amitriptaline to reach full effectiveness. It's been several years since I've taken it and I can find no information that is more precise than "weeks". I'm sorry!!! It runs in my mind that it took awhile but I gradually started feeling better. Keep us posted.
iowa

#3 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

Hi theguy, It will take "weeks" for amitriptaline to reach full effectiveness. It's been several years since I've taken it and I can find no information that is more precise than "weeks". I'm sorry!!! It runs in my mind that it took awhile but I gradually started feeling better. Keep us posted.
iowa

How many weeks am I looking at here? ... more than an SSRI?

#4 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:32 PM

theguy, I'm fairly certain that it will not take longer than an SSRI and maybe shorter (more like 4 weeks at the most), but I really don't know that and am relying on my memory and the fact that each new classification of anti-depressants seems to take longer amounts of time to work. The tricyclics were developed in the 1950's and are much "older" than SSRI's.
iowa

#5 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:25 AM

theguy, I'm fairly certain that it will not take longer than an SSRI and maybe shorter (more like 4 weeks at the most), but I really don't know that and am relying on my memory and the fact that each new classification of anti-depressants seems to take longer amounts of time to work. The tricyclics were developed in the 1950's and are much "older" than SSRI's.
iowa

Ok, well I am at 30mg now at night. I am off the olanzapine as it makes me eat way too much. It has been 3 days now on 30mg. I feel ok sorta but i lack motivation to do much. Will this med eventually help with motivation?

#6 Guest_Sweetest1_*

Guest_Sweetest1_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

iowa

Ok, well I am at 30mg now at night. I am off the olanzapine as it makes me eat way too much. It has been 3 days now on 30mg. I feel ok sorta but i lack motivation to do much. Will this med eventually help with motivation?

Guy, I just did some research for you ( I like that stuff) Here is what I get (Elavil is another name for Amitriptyline):

"How Long Elavil Takes to Work: TCAs generally take 14 to 28 days to kick in.

Elavil's Half-Life & Average Time to Clear Out of Your System: It has a half-life of 24 hours. Expect it to clear out of your system or to be able to step down a dosage every 5 days."

Further reading suggests the same help with motivation you would expect with an SSRI. As depression lifts, motivation to do things increases.

I really hope this is the med that works for you, darling, what a long road you've been treading!

:wwww: :shocked:

I hope that helped

Sweetest

#7 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

iowa

Guy, I just did some research for you ( I like that stuff) Here is what I get (Elavil is another name for Amitriptyline):

"How Long Elavil Takes to Work: TCAs generally take 14 to 28 days to kick in.

Elavil's Half-Life & Average Time to Clear Out of Your System: It has a half-life of 24 hours. Expect it to clear out of your system or to be able to step down a dosage every 5 days."

Further reading suggests the same help with motivation you would expect with an SSRI. As depression lifts, motivation to do things increases.

I really hope this is the med that works for you, darling, what a long road you've been treading!

:wwww: :shocked:

I hope that helped

Sweetest

Thank you Sweetest. Ya I guess this is very soon to help with the depression. Geeesh. I think the zyprexa helped in that area but I ate way too much on that med. Oh I hate being depressed. :(

#8 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

I have noticed that my jaw is ever so sligtley agitated, not by the med but by my anxiety. Does anyone have a solution for my jaw muscles to stop being in spasm? I took a clonazepam and they are still in spasm 1 hour later. It is mostly in my right jaw and it seems to stimulate or saliva production .. I think. i also hear some crackling . Any ideas that I can use to feel more relaxed in my jaw?

#9 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,880 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:24 PM

I've been taking Elavil (200mg) about 2 years. It really helps with sleep. I feel better in the morning. However, I also take 150mg of Zoloft in the morning which gives me more motivation. I can't remember if I had motivation when I took it decades ago. The sleep effects started right away, the AD portion took a few weeks.

I'm not sure if tenseness is a side-effect. There is a FAQ sheet above that will give you more info or you can Google it. If this continues to bother you, talk to your pdoc. We all respond/react to meds differently.

(I didn't like Zyprexa for the same reason.)
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#10 makemesmile

makemesmile

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

I've just started amitriptaline too, been on 50mg for 2 weeks and now on 100mg for a few days..apparantely it can start working within 2 weeks but may take 3 or 4 everyone reacts differently..i started to feel a lot better, but since then have had a panic attack so have sunk down again..hopefully tomorrow will be better. Also my appetite has increased a lot since starting it. I'm a bit worried about these panic attacks as I've never had them before but the Dr said its a normal side effect when starting the AD/increasing the dosage. Has anyone else had them as a result of Amitriptaline?

Hope they kick in soon for you theguy!

#11 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:12 AM

I've been taking Elavil (200mg) about 2 years. It really helps with sleep. I feel better in the morning. However, I also take 150mg of Zoloft in the morning which gives me more motivation. I can't remember if I had motivation when I took it decades ago. The sleep effects started right away, the AD portion took a few weeks.

I'm not sure if tenseness is a side-effect. There is a FAQ sheet above that will give you more info or you can Google it. If this continues to bother you, talk to your pdoc. We all respond/react to meds differently.

(I didn't like Zyprexa for the same reason.)
Sheepwoman

I think my A type personality causes me to clench my jaw in general. If anything I think the amtriptyline helps it but I guess I have a long way to go to feel anything. I remember feeling really good on zoloft and celexa at some point like really happy. Will this med give me that feeling too?

#12 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:14 AM

I've just started amitriptaline too, been on 50mg for 2 weeks and now on 100mg for a few days..apparantely it can start working within 2 weeks but may take 3 or 4 everyone reacts differently..i started to feel a lot better, but since then have had a panic attack so have sunk down again..hopefully tomorrow will be better. Also my appetite has increased a lot since starting it. I'm a bit worried about these panic attacks as I've never had them before but the Dr said its a normal side effect when starting the AD/increasing the dosage. Has anyone else had them as a result of Amitriptaline?

Hope they kick in soon for you theguy!

Oh wow, you are on 50mg now 100mg? Why am I on such a low dose? I have anxiety and depression. Do you feel good at 100mg, do you feel motivated?

#13 allovertheplace

allovertheplace

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:48 AM

Hey, i'm so sorry you are not doing so great at the mo but i hope things will pick up soon!

I have taken i Amitriptyline on and off for 12 years now, infact i have only just just stopped taking it again as anti depressants effect my Bipolar too much at times.

This was a wonder medication for me when my depression went too out of control, i tend to react better to the older type of anti depressants.

The only side effect i had was dizzyness when standing, my blood pressure dropped lower when i took this and i wanted to drink more but as i am medication sensitive, this was a walk in the park for me compared to other side effects on other meds i have had.

Zyprexa was a nightmare for weight for me aswell, thats why i stopped taking this med too!

The dose of Amitriptyline i was on was 250mg at night, large dose i know but your we are all individuals and have different needsl. Perhaps your doctor is being cautious at this time, i know that most end up on around 150mg of this but ask your doctor if you are not sure about where you going with this medication. It took around 4 weeks to start to work for me but it did work well for me once it kicked in.

Sending you my best,
Allovertheplace

Edited by allovertheplace, 04 April 2010 - 02:49 AM.

#14 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

I am on 30mg for anxiety and depression but mostly anxiety. I do feel as if I have no energy or motivation. How long does it take for this AD to help with the depression? Will I have energy and actually feel alive? I am just feeling down right now though :shocked:

Hi TheGuy,

I do believe we go back a long way. I'm on 125mg of Amitriptyline. Unfortunately for me it took a good four months for my depression to go, but this med has saved my life for years now. It worked on my anxiety and sleep within a month, though. Been on it since Dec 2007 and today I've never felt better, got my life back.

Edited by kirkwuk, 04 April 2010 - 08:11 AM.

Beating depression since 2007

#15 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hi TheGuy,

I do believe we go back a long way. I'm on 125mg of Amitriptyline. Unfortunately for me it took a good four months for my depression to go, but this med has saved my life for years now. It worked on my anxiety and sleep within a month, though. Been on it since Dec 2007 and today I've never felt better, got my life back.

Thanks kirkwuk, I am hoping for better days then as I am only on a low dose and I end up sleeping and dreaming and wake up ok but I feel nearing the end of the day my mood starts to slip. I guess I can only cross my fingers and hope that the doctor will get me to a dosage that works well for me.

#16 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hi TheGuy,

Thanks kirkwuk, I am hoping for better days then as I am only on a low dose and I end up sleeping and dreaming and wake up ok but I feel nearing the end of the day my mood starts to slip. I guess I can only cross my fingers and hope that the doctor will get me to a dosage that works well for me.

The higher dose of Amitriptyline is for anxiety and depression (I think the leaflet says 100mg-200mg). My doctor advised me to build up to the higher doses as increasing the dosages too much tends to "zonk" you out. I introduced a 10mg increase every two nights at the advice of my doc until I was on 175mg for 1 year, cutting down to 125mg, and seem to be doing fine. I am still quite anxious but that may be because I bought a house, hopefully I'll drop down to 100mg soon and see how that goes.

I would be very patient on this med and try not to get too worked up about it not working for a few weeks. I'd advise trying to do some learn some coping mechanisms and trying to stay calm as much as possible. I nearly gave up on Amitriptyline as it's an old med and didn't work on my depression for a while, but it was so worth it. I am almost a new person. This med is as good as any of the newer SSRI's. I hope the trip doesn't end.

#17 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:02 AM

I am on 30mg for anxiety and depression but mostly anxiety. I do feel as if I have no energy or motivation. How long does it take for this AD to help with the depression? Will I have energy and actually feel alive? I am just feeling down right now though :wwww:

Hi TheGuy,

The higher dose of Amitriptyline is for anxiety and depression (I think the leaflet says 100mg-200mg). My doctor advised me to build up to the higher doses as increasing the dosages too much tends to "zonk" you out. I introduced a 10mg increase every two nights at the advice of my doc until I was on 175mg for 1 year, cutting down to 125mg, and seem to be doing fine. I am still quite anxious but that may be because I bought a house, hopefully I'll drop down to 100mg soon and see how that goes.

I would be very patient on this med and try not to get too worked up about it not working for a few weeks. I'd advise trying to do some learn some coping mechanisms and trying to stay calm as much as possible. I nearly gave up on Amitriptyline as it's an old med and didn't work on my depression for a while, but it was so worth it. I am almost a new person. This med is as good as any of the newer SSRI's. I hope the trip doesn't end.

That is inspiring. Well I believe the zyprexa I was on 5mg helped with my depression because since coming off of it I am depressed again and on on the 30mg dose of Amitriptyline. I feel very down today and the two drinks I had yesterday I am sure did not help. I just wanted to have fun for once and I did but today I just feel down and my jaw hurts a bit but I think that is the anxiety part of my problems. Well that explains it, the 30mg is hardly touching my anxiety or depression, so far it has just helped with my back pain. I feel like a bag of crap right now. :shocked:

#18 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

The jaw thing is definitely anxiety related. I tend to get an awful lot of stiffness there until I catch my breath again when anxious.

Drinking; if you mean alcohol this will DEFINITELY impact your meds especially when starting up. Please try and refrain from this until you get some stability. I don't want to tell everyone what they can and can't do on meds, but it's important you realise how this effects your treatment.

#19 makemesmile

makemesmile

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

Your doc will probably increase your dosage after 2 weeks make sure you tell them how you've been feeling... I felt really good for 2 days after I'd taken the 100mg dose so was motivated, able to concentrate etc. but now I'm back at my lowest :( But like with any medication there's going to be ups and downs on the way to recovery. I think i've been on it 3 weeks now so hoping in a week to feel a lot better consistently. Also, I'm taking a reduced dosage of cipralex to come off it gradually so that may be affecting how the amitriptaline works. I guess we just have to try be patient, it is so frustrating though when you really want to get better.

About drinking, it is definitely not a good idea, especially with Amitriptaline, my pharmacist said even 2 drinks can make some people pass out as its a sedating AD. I know its hard but really try not to have any alcohol as it can be dangerous and will also affect the AD working.

#20 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

The jaw thing is definitely anxiety related. I tend to get an awful lot of stiffness there until I catch my breath again when anxious.

Drinking; if you mean alcohol this will DEFINITELY impact your meds especially when starting up. Please try and refrain from this until you get some stability. I don't want to tell everyone what they can and can't do on meds, but it's important you realise how this effects your treatment.

Ya I know, but do I listen? nope. I just wanted to feel free and involved in the partying like everyone else. Ya I feel down and lethargic today.

#21 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

Your doc will probably increase your dosage after 2 weeks make sure you tell them how you've been feeling... I felt really good for 2 days after I'd taken the 100mg dose so was motivated, able to concentrate etc. but now I'm back at my lowest :( But like with any medication there's going to be ups and downs on the way to recovery. I think i've been on it 3 weeks now so hoping in a week to feel a lot better consistently. Also, I'm taking a reduced dosage of cipralex to come off it gradually so that may be affecting how the amitriptaline works. I guess we just have to try be patient, it is so frustrating though when you really want to get better.

About drinking, it is definitely not a good idea, especially with Amitriptaline, my pharmacist said even 2 drinks can make some people pass out as its a sedating AD. I know its hard but really try not to have any alcohol as it can be dangerous and will also affect the AD working.

Well yesterday I felt keyed up so I drank but todayI feel lethargic and down. I agree that it is frustratin when all we want is to feel better. Ya, I want to get on with my life and be enjoy life with others and I want to be productive but my depression prevents that, especially today.

#22 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

Wow did the depression hit really hard today. I feel so empty and do not want to be here anymore. It is difficult to see a happy ending today. I feel so alone and lonely. :shocked: :wwww: :sneaky2:

#23 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:00 AM

:shocked: :wwww: :sneaky2: :huh:

I called my mother this morning for support because I was feeling down. Usually she is helpful but today she told me to "stop feeling sorry for myself" That just threw my mood way off. I got upset and hung up on her. I wish I was dead. Sometimes it feels like no one cares.

#24 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

Ya I know, but do I listen? nope. I just wanted to feel free and involved in the partying like everyone else. Ya I feel down and lethargic today.

Get your health back on track before considering doing things which could potentially derail you.

Keep on the meds, do things which distract you, ensure you are doing things which do not make you anxious like reading, even playing a video game or house work. You've probably heard this a million times; drinking is one of the worst things you can do at this time.

I had to learn the hard way and stay off alcohol for a long, long time (and still know my limits). At first it hurt but I realised I wasn't going to let the illness beat me. Focus on your goal of getting better. That should be priority one, guy!

Edited by kirkwuk, 06 April 2010 - 03:19 PM.

#25 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

Ok I am trying.
  • Theresa06 likes this

#26 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:59 PM

Well I am still at 30mg of Amitriplyline but I think I need to go up because I can still feel the lack of motivation and some depression. I see the psych on Wed April 14, 4 more days. It seems like eternity.

#27 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

My anxiety is very high today. I am only at 30mg of this med. Has anyone ever had relief of their anxiety with this med and at what dosage?

#28 makemesmile

makemesmile

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:03 AM

the guy, how did your appointment with the psych go? are you still on 30mg?

I've been struggling a lot too, although I have had a few days where I really feel back to my best! :) so there is hope.
I've been on 100mg for 3 weeks now I think and 50mg for 2 weeks before that. However, everyone's situation and psych's approach is different so don't worry about what dose you're on. Guess we just have to be patient, which is very hard (especially as I'm not a patient person). Try and act kind to yourself each day, if that makes sense. I know I'm very critical of myself, especially on a bad day as I get frustrated not being productive. BUt I'm trying to learn that on the bad days I need to do something nicer like watch a film or something, instead of just sitting there with loads of negative thoughts going through my mind.

About the drinking... I know how hard it is not to drink.. my friends go out drinking at the weekend and i wish i could too but it's jsut not worth it. Yeah you will have a good time that night (unless you pass out from the alcohol mixed with the medication) but it will definitely affect your medication working, as amitriptaline is a sedating AD. Some of the others like some SSRIs are more safe if you're having a drink or 2, but I know for a fact that amitriptaline is very dangerous to mix alcohol with it. So if you really want to get better, I really think you should use all your will-power to avoid alcohol. I'm trying to, its not easy, but you will be so grateful for making the decision not to drink in the long-term, when you feel the rewards of feeling happier!

Hope things get better for you :shocked:

#29 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:49 AM

I've been struggling a lot too, although I have had a few days where I really feel back to my best! :) so there is hope.
I've been on 100mg for 3 weeks now I think and 50mg for 2 weeks before that. However, everyone's situation and psych's approach is different so don't worry about what dose you're on. Guess we just have to be patient, which is very hard (especially as I'm not a patient person). Try and act kind to yourself each day, if that makes sense. I know I'm very critical of myself, especially on a bad day as I get frustrated not being productive. BUt I'm trying to learn that on the bad days I need to do something nicer like watch a film or something, instead of just sitting there with loads of negative thoughts going through my mind.

About the drinking... I know how hard it is not to drink.. my friends go out drinking at the weekend and i wish i could too but it's jsut not worth it. Yeah you will have a good time that night (unless you pass out from the alcohol mixed with the medication) but it will definitely affect your medication working, as amitriptaline is a sedating AD. Some of the others like some SSRIs are more safe if you're having a drink or 2, but I know for a fact that amitriptaline is very dangerous to mix alcohol with it. So if you really want to get better, I really think you should use all your will-power to avoid alcohol. I'm trying to, its not easy, but you will be so grateful for making the decision not to drink in the long-term, when you feel the rewards of feeling happier!

It's in the thread starters best interest to NOT drink at this moment. The sedating effects of Amitriptyline wear off in time. I sometimes have a couple and feel fine, either way discussion of alcohol is forbidden here considering health comes before introducing depressants like alcohol.

Edited by kirkwuk, 25 April 2010 - 07:03 AM.

#30 theguy

theguy

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

The psychiatrist took me off of Amtriptyline and now has me on seroquel xr 200mg at night and to start 10mg of celexa which worked for my depression before. I can do stuff but I get so exhausted afterwards. I have not really felt like going to a club or even drinking lately either so I guess I will not worry about that for now.

#31 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

Hi theguy,

I hope you are better.

You are a smart guy aren't you? Don't let alcohol get in the way of your recovery.

#32 russiangirl

russiangirl

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

my doc just put me on Nortriptyline. I feel like I took huge dose of benadryll (spell?). I dont' even want to continue w it.
Any updates on how you feel?? Please let me know if anything changed at all with your mood and motivation
Thanks

#33 gemlu

gemlu

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

I just started amitriptyline 2 days ago... i have been a guinea pig for AD's for over a month now.I went on Sertraline but it made my anxiety go through the roof!!...I was on Mirtazapine for 3 years which helped me sleep but didnt help with my depressive episodes...

Since starting Amitriptyline I have become quite weak and all i want to do is sleep... prob cos ive hardly slept for 3 weeks... my whole body feels weak.

Just want to know how long it takes for the weakness and sleepiness to go... also how long it takes to hit the depression..i found i was fine on the first day but the depression has returned today :shocked:

It would be nice to hear from someone with similar experience ...Thanks xxx

#34 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:06 AM

I just started amitriptyline 2 days ago... i have been a guinea pig for AD's for over a month now.I went on Sertraline but it made my anxiety go through the roof!!...I was on Mirtazapine for 3 years which helped me sleep but didnt help with my depressive episodes...

Since starting Amitriptyline I have become quite weak and all i want to do is sleep... prob cos ive hardly slept for 3 weeks... my whole body feels weak.

Just want to know how long it takes for the weakness and sleepiness to go... also how long it takes to hit the depression..i found i was fine on the first day but the depression has returned today :shocked:

It would be nice to hear from someone with similar experience ...Thanks xxx

Hi Gemlu,

Are you still upping your dose of Amitriptyline or has your body stabilised? When the dose is consistent daily it tookaround two weeks for the weariness to go away. It will knock you out for a while but you won't feel tired after a while.

Amitriptyline didn't help with my depression for a while to be honest but I'm so glad I persevered. Others say it worked right away. I was in a really horrible place though so I'm not surprised it took two months for me to feel a benefit.

I've been on Amitriptyline for nearly 3 years and it's the best med I've ever been on. My life has been transformed.

#35 lia_domingues

lia_domingues

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hi guys,

This is an old topic here (last post date 2010), but I have started elavil (amitriptyline) yesterday. I am taking 3x25mg a day. I just want to know if you are still on this med, if you have changed, if in the end worked well or not, if you gained any weight or not... This is my 4th or 5th medication and I am loosing hope. I've been very down these past few days, with some suicidal thoughts that I never had before. They've started in the beginning of the week and is by far the worst week of my depression.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users