Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
theguy

Just Starting Amitriptyline

35 posts in this topic

Posted

I am on 30mg for anxiety and depression but mostly anxiety. I do feel as if I have no energy or motivation. How long does it take for this AD to help with the depression? Will I have energy and actually feel alive? I am just feeling down right now though :shocked:

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Hi theguy, It will take "weeks" for amitriptaline to reach full effectiveness. It's been several years since I've taken it and I can find no information that is more precise than "weeks". I'm sorry!!! It runs in my mind that it took awhile but I gradually started feeling better. Keep us posted.

iowa

Posted

Hi theguy, It will take "weeks" for amitriptaline to reach full effectiveness. It's been several years since I've taken it and I can find no information that is more precise than "weeks". I'm sorry!!! It runs in my mind that it took awhile but I gradually started feeling better. Keep us posted.

iowa

How many weeks am I looking at here? ... more than an SSRI?

Posted

theguy, I'm fairly certain that it will not take longer than an SSRI and maybe shorter (more like 4 weeks at the most), but I really don't know that and am relying on my memory and the fact that each new classification of anti-depressants seems to take longer amounts of time to work. The tricyclics were developed in the 1950's and are much "older" than SSRI's.

iowa

Posted

theguy, I'm fairly certain that it will not take longer than an SSRI and maybe shorter (more like 4 weeks at the most), but I really don't know that and am relying on my memory and the fact that each new classification of anti-depressants seems to take longer amounts of time to work. The tricyclics were developed in the 1950's and are much "older" than SSRI's.

iowa

Ok, well I am at 30mg now at night. I am off the olanzapine as it makes me eat way too much. It has been 3 days now on 30mg. I feel ok sorta but i lack motivation to do much. Will this med eventually help with motivation?

Posted

iowa

Ok, well I am at 30mg now at night. I am off the olanzapine as it makes me eat way too much. It has been 3 days now on 30mg. I feel ok sorta but i lack motivation to do much. Will this med eventually help with motivation?

Guy, I just did some research for you ( I like that stuff) Here is what I get (Elavil is another name for Amitriptyline):

"How Long Elavil Takes to Work: TCAs generally take 14 to 28 days to kick in.

Elavil's Half-Life & Average Time to Clear Out of Your System: It has a half-life of 24 hours. Expect it to clear out of your system or to be able to step down a dosage every 5 days."

Further reading suggests the same help with motivation you would expect with an SSRI. As depression lifts, motivation to do things increases.

I really hope this is the med that works for you, darling, what a long road you've been treading!

:wwww::shocked:

I hope that helped

Sweetest

Posted

iowa

Guy, I just did some research for you ( I like that stuff) Here is what I get (Elavil is another name for Amitriptyline):

"How Long Elavil Takes to Work: TCAs generally take 14 to 28 days to kick in.

Elavil's Half-Life & Average Time to Clear Out of Your System: It has a half-life of 24 hours. Expect it to clear out of your system or to be able to step down a dosage every 5 days."

Further reading suggests the same help with motivation you would expect with an SSRI. As depression lifts, motivation to do things increases.

I really hope this is the med that works for you, darling, what a long road you've been treading!

:wwww::shocked:

I hope that helped

Sweetest

Thank you Sweetest. Ya I guess this is very soon to help with the depression. Geeesh. I think the zyprexa helped in that area but I ate way too much on that med. Oh I hate being depressed. :(

Posted

I have noticed that my jaw is ever so sligtley agitated, not by the med but by my anxiety. Does anyone have a solution for my jaw muscles to stop being in spasm? I took a clonazepam and they are still in spasm 1 hour later. It is mostly in my right jaw and it seems to stimulate or saliva production .. I think. i also hear some crackling . Any ideas that I can use to feel more relaxed in my jaw?

Posted

I've been taking Elavil (200mg) about 2 years. It really helps with sleep. I feel better in the morning. However, I also take 150mg of Zoloft in the morning which gives me more motivation. I can't remember if I had motivation when I took it decades ago. The sleep effects started right away, the AD portion took a few weeks.

I'm not sure if tenseness is a side-effect. There is a FAQ sheet above that will give you more info or you can Google it. If this continues to bother you, talk to your pdoc. We all respond/react to meds differently.

(I didn't like Zyprexa for the same reason.)

Sheepwoman

Posted

I've just started amitriptaline too, been on 50mg for 2 weeks and now on 100mg for a few days..apparantely it can start working within 2 weeks but may take 3 or 4 everyone reacts differently..i started to feel a lot better, but since then have had a panic attack so have sunk down again..hopefully tomorrow will be better. Also my appetite has increased a lot since starting it. I'm a bit worried about these panic attacks as I've never had them before but the Dr said its a normal side effect when starting the AD/increasing the dosage. Has anyone else had them as a result of Amitriptaline?

Hope they kick in soon for you theguy!

Posted

I've been taking Elavil (200mg) about 2 years. It really helps with sleep. I feel better in the morning. However, I also take 150mg of Zoloft in the morning which gives me more motivation. I can't remember if I had motivation when I took it decades ago. The sleep effects started right away, the AD portion took a few weeks.

I'm not sure if tenseness is a side-effect. There is a FAQ sheet above that will give you more info or you can Google it. If this continues to bother you, talk to your pdoc. We all respond/react to meds differently.

(I didn't like Zyprexa for the same reason.)

Sheepwoman

I think my A type personality causes me to clench my jaw in general. If anything I think the amtriptyline helps it but I guess I have a long way to go to feel anything. I remember feeling really good on zoloft and celexa at some point like really happy. Will this med give me that feeling too?

Posted

I've just started amitriptaline too, been on 50mg for 2 weeks and now on 100mg for a few days..apparantely it can start working within 2 weeks but may take 3 or 4 everyone reacts differently..i started to feel a lot better, but since then have had a panic attack so have sunk down again..hopefully tomorrow will be better. Also my appetite has increased a lot since starting it. I'm a bit worried about these panic attacks as I've never had them before but the Dr said its a normal side effect when starting the AD/increasing the dosage. Has anyone else had them as a result of Amitriptaline?

Hope they kick in soon for you theguy!

Oh wow, you are on 50mg now 100mg? Why am I on such a low dose? I have anxiety and depression. Do you feel good at 100mg, do you feel motivated?

Posted (edited)

Hey, i'm so sorry you are not doing so great at the mo but i hope things will pick up soon!

I have taken i Amitriptyline on and off for 12 years now, infact i have only just just stopped taking it again as anti depressants effect my Bipolar too much at times.

This was a wonder medication for me when my depression went too out of control, i tend to react better to the older type of anti depressants.

The only side effect i had was dizzyness when standing, my blood pressure dropped lower when i took this and i wanted to drink more but as i am medication sensitive, this was a walk in the park for me compared to other side effects on other meds i have had.

Zyprexa was a nightmare for weight for me aswell, thats why i stopped taking this med too!

The dose of Amitriptyline i was on was 250mg at night, large dose i know but your we are all individuals and have different needsl. Perhaps your doctor is being cautious at this time, i know that most end up on around 150mg of this but ask your doctor if you are not sure about where you going with this medication. It took around 4 weeks to start to work for me but it did work well for me once it kicked in.

Sending you my best,

Allovertheplace

Edited by allovertheplace

Posted (edited)

I am on 30mg for anxiety and depression but mostly anxiety. I do feel as if I have no energy or motivation. How long does it take for this AD to help with the depression? Will I have energy and actually feel alive? I am just feeling down right now though :shocked:

Hi TheGuy,

I do believe we go back a long way. I'm on 125mg of Amitriptyline. Unfortunately for me it took a good four months for my depression to go, but this med has saved my life for years now. It worked on my anxiety and sleep within a month, though. Been on it since Dec 2007 and today I've never felt better, got my life back.

Edited by kirkwuk

Posted

Hi TheGuy,

I do believe we go back a long way. I'm on 125mg of Amitriptyline. Unfortunately for me it took a good four months for my depression to go, but this med has saved my life for years now. It worked on my anxiety and sleep within a month, though. Been on it since Dec 2007 and today I've never felt better, got my life back.

Thanks kirkwuk, I am hoping for better days then as I am only on a low dose and I end up sleeping and dreaming and wake up ok but I feel nearing the end of the day my mood starts to slip. I guess I can only cross my fingers and hope that the doctor will get me to a dosage that works well for me.

Posted

Hi TheGuy,

Thanks kirkwuk, I am hoping for better days then as I am only on a low dose and I end up sleeping and dreaming and wake up ok but I feel nearing the end of the day my mood starts to slip. I guess I can only cross my fingers and hope that the doctor will get me to a dosage that works well for me.

The higher dose of Amitriptyline is for anxiety and depression (I think the leaflet says 100mg-200mg). My doctor advised me to build up to the higher doses as increasing the dosages too much tends to "zonk" you out. I introduced a 10mg increase every two nights at the advice of my doc until I was on 175mg for 1 year, cutting down to 125mg, and seem to be doing fine. I am still quite anxious but that may be because I bought a house, hopefully I'll drop down to 100mg soon and see how that goes.

I would be very patient on this med and try not to get too worked up about it not working for a few weeks. I'd advise trying to do some learn some coping mechanisms and trying to stay calm as much as possible. I nearly gave up on Amitriptyline as it's an old med and didn't work on my depression for a while, but it was so worth it. I am almost a new person. This med is as good as any of the newer SSRI's. I hope the trip doesn't end.

Posted

I am on 30mg for anxiety and depression but mostly anxiety. I do feel as if I have no energy or motivation. How long does it take for this AD to help with the depression? Will I have energy and actually feel alive? I am just feeling down right now though :wwww:

Hi TheGuy,

The higher dose of Amitriptyline is for anxiety and depression (I think the leaflet says 100mg-200mg). My doctor advised me to build up to the higher doses as increasing the dosages too much tends to "zonk" you out. I introduced a 10mg increase every two nights at the advice of my doc until I was on 175mg for 1 year, cutting down to 125mg, and seem to be doing fine. I am still quite anxious but that may be because I bought a house, hopefully I'll drop down to 100mg soon and see how that goes.

I would be very patient on this med and try not to get too worked up about it not working for a few weeks. I'd advise trying to do some learn some coping mechanisms and trying to stay calm as much as possible. I nearly gave up on Amitriptyline as it's an old med and didn't work on my depression for a while, but it was so worth it. I am almost a new person. This med is as good as any of the newer SSRI's. I hope the trip doesn't end.

That is inspiring. Well I believe the zyprexa I was on 5mg helped with my depression because since coming off of it I am depressed again and on on the 30mg dose of Amitriptyline. I feel very down today and the two drinks I had yesterday I am sure did not help. I just wanted to have fun for once and I did but today I just feel down and my jaw hurts a bit but I think that is the anxiety part of my problems. Well that explains it, the 30mg is hardly touching my anxiety or depression, so far it has just helped with my back pain. I feel like a bag of crap right now. :shocked:

Posted

The jaw thing is definitely anxiety related. I tend to get an awful lot of stiffness there until I catch my breath again when anxious.

Drinking; if you mean alcohol this will DEFINITELY impact your meds especially when starting up. Please try and refrain from this until you get some stability. I don't want to tell everyone what they can and can't do on meds, but it's important you realise how this effects your treatment.

Posted

Your doc will probably increase your dosage after 2 weeks make sure you tell them how you've been feeling... I felt really good for 2 days after I'd taken the 100mg dose so was motivated, able to concentrate etc. but now I'm back at my lowest :( But like with any medication there's going to be ups and downs on the way to recovery. I think i've been on it 3 weeks now so hoping in a week to feel a lot better consistently. Also, I'm taking a reduced dosage of cipralex to come off it gradually so that may be affecting how the amitriptaline works. I guess we just have to try be patient, it is so frustrating though when you really want to get better.

About drinking, it is definitely not a good idea, especially with Amitriptaline, my pharmacist said even 2 drinks can make some people pass out as its a sedating AD. I know its hard but really try not to have any alcohol as it can be dangerous and will also affect the AD working.

Posted

The jaw thing is definitely anxiety related. I tend to get an awful lot of stiffness there until I catch my breath again when anxious.

Drinking; if you mean alcohol this will DEFINITELY impact your meds especially when starting up. Please try and refrain from this until you get some stability. I don't want to tell everyone what they can and can't do on meds, but it's important you realise how this effects your treatment.

Ya I know, but do I listen? nope. I just wanted to feel free and involved in the partying like everyone else. Ya I feel down and lethargic today.

Posted

Your doc will probably increase your dosage after 2 weeks make sure you tell them how you've been feeling... I felt really good for 2 days after I'd taken the 100mg dose so was motivated, able to concentrate etc. but now I'm back at my lowest :( But like with any medication there's going to be ups and downs on the way to recovery. I think i've been on it 3 weeks now so hoping in a week to feel a lot better consistently. Also, I'm taking a reduced dosage of cipralex to come off it gradually so that may be affecting how the amitriptaline works. I guess we just have to try be patient, it is so frustrating though when you really want to get better.

About drinking, it is definitely not a good idea, especially with Amitriptaline, my pharmacist said even 2 drinks can make some people pass out as its a sedating AD. I know its hard but really try not to have any alcohol as it can be dangerous and will also affect the AD working.

Well yesterday I felt keyed up so I drank but todayI feel lethargic and down. I agree that it is frustratin when all we want is to feel better. Ya, I want to get on with my life and be enjoy life with others and I want to be productive but my depression prevents that, especially today.

Posted

Wow did the depression hit really hard today. I feel so empty and do not want to be here anymore. It is difficult to see a happy ending today. I feel so alone and lonely. :shocked::wwww::sneaky2:

Posted

:shocked::wwww::sneaky2::huh:

I called my mother this morning for support because I was feeling down. Usually she is helpful but today she told me to "stop feeling sorry for myself" That just threw my mood way off. I got upset and hung up on her. I wish I was dead. Sometimes it feels like no one cares.

Posted (edited)

Ya I know, but do I listen? nope. I just wanted to feel free and involved in the partying like everyone else. Ya I feel down and lethargic today.

Get your health back on track before considering doing things which could potentially derail you.

Keep on the meds, do things which distract you, ensure you are doing things which do not make you anxious like reading, even playing a video game or house work. You've probably heard this a million times; drinking is one of the worst things you can do at this time.

I had to learn the hard way and stay off alcohol for a long, long time (and still know my limits). At first it hurt but I realised I wasn't going to let the illness beat me. Focus on your goal of getting better. That should be priority one, guy!

Edited by kirkwuk

Posted

Ok I am trying.

Theresa06 likes this