Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Have Akathisia From Abilify....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rtp1969

rtp1969

ID: 45491

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

have akathisia from Abilify.... on 10mg for about 2 weeks...

it is horrible.... pdoc said to cut down to 5mg.....

could this help the akathisia? never had akathisia and never want to have it. it is HORRIBLE!!!!!

thanks, rt

#2 Guest_Sweetest1_*

Guest_Sweetest1_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:15 PM

could this help the akathisia? never had akathisia and never want to have it. it is HORRIBLE!!!!!

thanks, rt

rt,

I'm so very sorry to here about your troubles with abilify!

Cutting down on the med can indeed help the side effect.

I had akathisia as a side effect from Effexor and it was the craziest I've ever felt. I feel for you so much right now, it's the most horrid thing I've ever experienced.

I hope it eases for you quickly.

Peace

#3 rtp1969

rtp1969

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

Thanks...

Called my pdoc and he said to quit the Abilify immed instead of lowering the dosage....

He said we could lower it to 5mg but it takes the "mood stabilizing" affect away, something I need.

He is now putting me on Geodon......???

I hope the akathisia goes away fast - it is truly a horrible feeling.

And I wonder if I will have any side affects from going off the Abilify (been on it about 2 weeks)

It has been great except for the akathisia. : ( it is horrible when you find something that works but there is one thing
(i.e., akathisia) that stops someone from taking it.

thanks, rt

thanks, rt

rt,

I had akathisia as a side effect from Effexor and it was the craziest I've ever felt. I feel for you so much right now, it's the most horrid thing I've ever experienced.

Peace

#4 Guest_Sweetest1_*

Guest_Sweetest1_*

• Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

Bearing in mind everything my signature says...

Geodon is another AAP (atypical anti-psychotic). It's one of the newer ones like abilify is.

It has a lower chance of weight gain and diabetes than some of the older AAP's, like Seroquel for instance, and shouldn't make you feel quite as zombie-ish. However, just because the risk is less doesn't mean it isn't there.

Also, you need to be careful with antibiotics and Geodon as there are some drug interactions there that render the Geodon ineffective.

There is a pinned article about Geodon in this room that you can read if you are interested as well.

When I had akithisia I went literally 36 strait hours pacing and shaking my hands. That drive to move was so unbearable. It took about 2 days off the meds for it to ease up and a week before it was gone completely. Here's hoping it goes faster for you!

Peace

Thanks...

Called my pdoc and he said to quit the Abilify immed instead of lowering the dosage....

He said we could lower it to 5mg but it takes the "mood stabilizing" affect away, something I need.

And I wonder if I will have any side affects from going off the Abilify (been on it about 2 weeks)

It has been great except for the akathisia. : ( it is horrible when you find something that works but there is one thing

thanks, rt

thanks, rt

rt,

Peace

Edited by Sweetest1, 31 March 2010 - 08:35 AM.

#5 rtp1969

rtp1969

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

Still having the shakes and cannot stop pacing - been off over 2 (48 hours) days.....

This is seriously horrible. horrible. gets worse in the early evening and anything I take does not seem to help (sleeping pills, klonopin, ect....)

I am also in a very bad mood and feel like snapping. could this be SE from coming off 2 weeks of Abilify othe than the akathesia??

dont wish this on anyone.

thanks, rt

Bearing in mind everything my signature says...

Geodon is another AAP (atypical anti-psychotic). It's one of the newer ones like abilify is.

It has a lower chance of weight gain and diabetes than some of the older AAP's, like Seroquel for instance, and shouldn't make you feel quite as zombie-ish. However, just because the risk is less doesn't mean it isn't there.

Also, you need to be careful with antibiotics and Geodon as there are some drug interactions there that render the Geodon ineffective.

There is a pinned article about Geodon in this room that you can read if you are interested as well.

When I had akithisia I went literally 36 strait hours pacing and shaking my hands. That drive to move was so unbearable. It took about 2 days off the meds for it to ease up and a week before it was gone completely. Here's hoping it goes faster for you!

Peace

Thanks...

thanks, rt

thanks, rt

rt,

Peace

#6 salmon2k7

salmon2k7

ID: 46724

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

Still having the shakes and cannot stop pacing - been off over 2 (48 hours) days.....

This is seriously horrible. horrible. gets worse in the early evening and anything I take does not seem to help (sleeping pills, klonopin, ect....)

I am also in a very bad mood and feel like snapping. could this be SE from coming off 2 weeks of Abilify othe than the akathesia??

thanks, rt

Hello rt,

Sorry to hear that you are in not feeling good with the SEs of the medication.

I actually am on 22.5 mg of the Abilify med. since about 4 days. I don't know what
to expect but, like a week ago, I did not actually felt any tremors or anything like that,
but had intense desire to be walking or doing something else that involves my hands.
My pdoc. told me to involve in some excersise, workout, or similar and do not actually involve
in learning activities, like computer programming, or similar. He said that anything involving
body movement actually would help with the anxiety, like cleaning around the house. I was on 15 mg. of Abilify for about one month and was just regular. Now, I am on 22.5 mg. since about 4 days and actually don't know what to expect. I think am at the point of no return. Hope sincerely
you get better. Please keep talking to your pdoc.

Salmon.

#7 Guest_Sweetest1_*

Guest_Sweetest1_*

• Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

rt,

What you're describing sounds like exactly how I remember akethisia feeling. The longer off the abilify the sooner until you'll feel better.

Hang in there, it can't last forever.

Peace

#8 rtp1969

rtp1969

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

thanks for the inspiration. still am feeling it!!!!! horrible!!!!!!!

rt

rt,

What you're describing sounds like exactly how I remember akethisia feeling. The longer off the abilify the sooner until you'll feel better.

Peace

#9 rtp1969

rtp1969

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:14 PM

So you were ok on the 15mg? you did have an intense desire to do something with your hands? did you feel "uneasy"?
I am just wondering if you got akathesia from the 15mg.... but I think you would know if you have it.

thanks, rt

thanks, rt

Hello rt,

Sorry to hear that you are in not feeling good with the SEs of the medication.

I actually am on 22.5 mg of the Abilify med. since about 4 days. I don't know what
to expect but, like a week ago, I did not actually felt any tremors or anything like that,
but had intense desire to be walking or doing something else that involves my hands.
My pdoc. told me to involve in some excersise, workout, or similar and do not actually involve
in learning activities, like computer programming, or similar. He said that anything involving
body movement actually would help with the anxiety, like cleaning around the house. I was on 15 mg. of Abilify for about one month and was just regular. Now, I am on 22.5 mg. since about 4 days and actually don't know what to expect. I think am at the point of no return. Hope sincerely
you get better. Please keep talking to your pdoc.

Salmon.

#10 rtp1969

rtp1969

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

did your akastatia come during cerrtain times.... it seems as if mine starts in around noon and then goes to about 8-9pm......

I find this weird.....

rt

quote name='Sweetest1' date='Mar 31 2010, 10:24 PM' post='618377']
rt,

Peace
[/quote]

#11 salmon2k7

salmon2k7

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

So you were ok on the 15mg? you did have an intense desire to do something with your hands? did you feel "uneasy"?
I am just wondering if you got akathesia from the 15mg.... but I think you would know if you have it.

thanks, rt

Hello rt,

I did have some "uneasy feelings". I felt definitely uneasy. Lots of anxiety, but nothing to the
extreme of tremor in my hands or any part of my body. Many times I thought about just quitting.
After my dosage was increased to 22.5 mg (15 mg bedtime, 7.5 mg in the morning) It is getting worse. I am thinking seriously about quitting. I will trust my pdoc as he said that the med takes about 4 to 6 weeks for full efectiveness. I will hang in there. As for what you were saying about the times when the akathisia comes,... mine (anxietly, uneasyness, desire to be moving ) comes at noon and continues until 8 to 9 pm. It is horrible for me , because my mind seems to be blocked for any
cognitive activity and that is frustrating, cause I am currently involved in the reading of a book that
is crucial for me. At the same time, if I quit, I will have to gradually cut down with the medication and wouldn't know what to expect as the SEs of medication withdrawal. For that, I guess you, rtp1969, are the indicated person to explain what could happen. Sorry to be negative about
my whole situatiion, but I just wanted to share something. I am sure, there are other options but,
I feel I am at the point where I could just "keep swimming for the other shore"

Salmon

#12 salmon2k7

salmon2k7

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:35 AM

Hello rt,

I did have some "uneasy feelings". I felt definitely uneasy. Lots of anxiety, but nothing to the
extreme of tremor in my hands or any part of my body. Many times I thought about just quitting.
After my dosage was increased to 22.5 mg (15 mg bedtime, 7.5 mg in the morning) It is getting worse. I am thinking seriously about quitting. I will trust my pdoc as he said that the med takes about 4 to 6 weeks for full efectiveness. I will hang in there. As for what you were saying about the times when the akathisia comes,... mine (anxietly, uneasyness, desire to be moving ) comes at noon and continues until 8 to 9 pm. It is horrible for me , because my mind seems to be blocked for any
cognitive activity and that is frustrating, cause I am currently involved in the reading of a book that
is crucial for me. At the same time, if I quit, I will have to gradually cut down with the medication and wouldn't know what to expect as the SEs of medication withdrawal. For that, I guess you, rtp1969, are the indicated person to explain what could happen. Sorry to be negative about
my whole situatiion, but I just wanted to share something. I am sure, there are other options but,
I feel I am at the point where I could just "keep swimming for the other shore"

Salmon

Hello,

Stilll experiencing the SEs (anxiety, uneasyness)
Already 4 weeks on the medication. Getting to normal little by little.

salmon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users