Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Switching From Lexapro To Effexor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 breezin

breezin

Advanced Member

ID: 38216

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:07 AM

My doctor is considering switching me to Effexor. I was taking 15mg of Lexapro for the last 2 years but it seems to be pooping out for me. What's involved in switching? Do you have to go thru withdrawl of the Lexapro first?

Thanks for your replies.

#2 Joyce

Joyce

ID: 18983

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

My doctor is considering switching me to Effexor. I was taking 15mg of Lexapro for the last 2 years but it seems to be pooping out for me. What's involved in switching? Do you have to go thru withdrawl of the Lexapro first?

Thanks for your replies.

Hi breezin,

I am not sure about the withdrawal if you start effexor right away. But lexapro is an ssri and effexor an snri. Which means they affect different parts in the brain. I am no doctor but did you consider tappering the lexapro while starting effexor? You can start effexor at a very low dosage (37.5mg) while tappering off lexapro. I dont know exactly how this can be done but your doctor could help you with this I believe.

Let us know how it goes

:shocked:
Joyce
Posted Image

#3 maros612

maros612

ID: 10716

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for your replies.

hi breezin,
this is the case for me. along with maintaing dose of paxil I'm taking for 9 years (on and off); for the last 3 years I was taking lexapro. Today my doc switched me to effexor. I was wondering if it's ok to quit lexapro cold turkey (esp. after she put me on higher - 15mg - dose of a week) but she said it's ok. Well, they do say that.. but let's see.

I have no choice at the moment, i'm dealing with a severe depression, so I'm going for it, although i know that withdrawal from effexor it may be bad when it'll come to that.

so, if you're interested in first hand experience, stay in touch, i'll be able to tell you how the story went later. wish me luck please.

#4 Joyce

Joyce

ID: 18983

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for your replies.

hi breezin,
this is the case for me. along with maintaing dose of paxil I'm taking for 9 years (on and off); for the last 3 years I was taking lexapro. Today my doc switched me to effexor. I was wondering if it's ok to quit lexapro cold turkey (esp. after she put me on higher - 15mg - dose of a week) but she said it's ok. Well, they do say that.. but let's see.

I have no choice at the moment, i'm dealing with a severe depression, so I'm going for it, although i know that withdrawal from effexor it may be bad when it'll come to that.

so, if you're interested in first hand experience, stay in touch, i'll be able to tell you how the story went later. wish me luck please.

Hi Maros,

Why did your doctor switched you for lexapro to effexor?

I am no doctor so I cant say what you should do but as I told breezin lexapro is an ssri and effexor an snri which affect a different part of the brain. Well, at least give it a try and if you see you have real bad side effects seek help to help you tappering off lexapro while going to effexor.

Joyce
Posted Image

#5 maros612

maros612

ID: 10716

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for your replies.

hi breezin,

Hi Maros,

Why did your doctor switched you for lexapro to effexor?

I am no doctor so I cant say what you should do but as I told breezin lexapro is an ssri and effexor an snri which affect a different part of the brain. Well, at least give it a try and if you see you have real bad side effects seek help to help you tappering off lexapro while going to effexor.

Joyce

Hi joyce,
my depression has worsened to the point i could not function anymore. i was first put on higher dose of lexapro (10mg to 15mg) with no response. I also take paxil which has pooped out on me long time ago, but i take maintaing dose of 10mg because i seek mental stability for a long period of time to taper off further. (really bad experience from the past)

My doc believes that puting me on effexor will help, since it does more than just managing serotoine receptors.

I accepted it, but I am very, very scared, because i don't know what to expect, and I had bad response to welbutrin before. I didn't feel like me on it, and i felt somewhat aggressive beneath.

i got effexor to get me thru breaking point of my dep. episode, so i can start functioning and go back to work.
very weird is the dosage, morning and evening 75mg pill of XR version.

i'm sure she would get me off two pills to one later, but is dosage 1-0-1 normal even short-term?

Does it make any sense?

#6 warpysaint

warpysaint

Silver Member

ID: 7345

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

[/quote]

Hi joyce,
my depression has worsened to the point i could not function anymore. i was first put on higher dose of lexapro (10mg to 15mg) with no response. I also take paxil which has pooped out on me long time ago, but i take maintaing dose of 10mg because i seek mental stability for a long period of time to taper off further. (really bad experience from the past)

My doc believes that puting me on effexor will help, since it does more than just managing serotoine receptors.

I accepted it, but I am very, very scared, because i don't know what to expect, and I had bad response to welbutrin before. I didn't feel like me on it, and i felt somewhat aggressive beneath.

i got effexor to get me thru breaking point of my dep. episode, so i can start functioning and go back to work.
very weird is the dosage, morning and evening 75mg pill of XR version.

i'm sure she would get me off two pills to one later, but is dosage 1-0-1 normal even short-term?

Does it make any sense?
[/quote]

All sorts of combinations have been tried, and I still have not yet heard of a "standard" way to switch AD's. Currently I take Effexor Immediate Release 75mg 2x per day and a rather odd dosing of Wellbutrin XR.... 300mg in the a.m. and 150mg between dinner and bed. My Pdoc seems to like making rapid changes w/ overlaps in the taking of meds, whereas my physician used to like to do a week's taper down and then a week's taper up of the new med. Both techniques seem a bit rapid compared to some of the methods I have heard about here, but I don't think either of my doc's wanted to leave me unmedicated for long. Lol. I guess the short answer is there doesn't seem to be such a thing as "normal."

-WS
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

"I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime..." -Big CountryPosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users