Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Actavis Bupropion Xl.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 am0s

am0s

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

Hi! My name is Amy and I am new here. I noticed there were several negative reviews on the generic brand of Wellbutrin called TEVA. I discovered that on Friday when I had my prescription filled, my Bupropion XL was made by Actavis. I called the pharmacist right away to see if they carried WATSON, because I heard that was a good generic brand, but they only carry name brand or Actavis. I can't find out whether my insurance will cover name brand until Monday.

My Question is: How many of you have been taking the Actavis version of Bupropion XL, and what are your experiences with it? Is it at all different? I read somewhere that it has caused weight gain for some people. This is not good. I am trying to get rid of the 20 extra pounds that Paxil gave me!

I just took 300mg of the Actavis Bupropion XL this morning, and I can already tell that it feels nothing like the name brand, or whatever the purple Bupropion pills I was taking years ago. I had tried both. I used to feel pretty energized, with a loss of appetite right away. However, not so today.

Help me figure this out guys!!!

You can also post your experiences with all other kinds of generic Bupropion here. I would love to be informed. I know it varies from person to person, but it's good to compare and learn from each other.

I also suffer from mild anxiety and panic attacks which seem to get worse when I'm taking Bupropion, so I also take Klonopin (Clonazepam) as needed. Wellbutrin/Bupropion has worked wonders for my depression in the past!

Thanks!!! Hope to hear from you!

Edited by am0s, 14 March 2010 - 10:31 AM.

#2 GottaRun

GottaRun

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

Hi! My name is Amy and I am new here. I noticed there were several negative reviews on the generic brand of Wellbutrin called TEVA. I discovered that on Friday when I had my prescription filled, my Bupropion XL was made by Actavis. I called the pharmacist right away to see if they carried WATSON, because I heard that was a good generic brand, but they only carry name brand or Actavis. I can't find out whether my insurance will cover name brand until Monday.

My Question is: How many of you have been taking the Actavis version of Bupropion XL, and what are your experiences with it? Is it at all different? I read somewhere that it has caused weight gain for some people. This is not good. I am trying to get rid of the 20 extra pounds that Paxil gave me!

I just took 300mg of the Actavis Bupropion XL this morning, and I can already tell that it feels nothing like the name brand, or whatever the purple Bupropion pills I was taking years ago. I had tried both. I used to feel pretty energized, with a loss of appetite right away. However, not so today.

You can also post your experiences with all other kinds of generic Bupropion here. I would love to be informed. I know it varies from person to person, but it's good to compare and learn from each other.

I also suffer from mild anxiety and panic attacks which seem to get worse when I'm taking Bupropion, so I also take Klonopin (Clonazepam) as needed. Wellbutrin/Bupropion has worked wonders for my depression in the past!

Thanks!!! Hope to hear from you!

Hi Amy! I actually have the same question. I have never been on Wellbutrin before, but I started 150 mgs. of the Actavis version of Bupropion XL 10 days ago. I haven't really had any side effects like the feeling of euphoria that everyone talks about, and I have not experienced a loss of appetite. I also have had no sleep problems. It has helped with my depression somewhat but, at this point, I seem to be having some good days mixed with some bad days. I do have some increase in energy. Keep me posted about how you feel. My insurance will cover the brand name, although it will be more expensive.

#3 am0s

am0s

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

Sounds like the same thing I'm experiencing. No side effects at all. One thing I really liked about Wellbutrin was the energy it gave me, along with the loss of appetite.

I have to wait until tomorrow morning to call my insurance company to see if they will pay for the name brand. I hope they do. I want the real thing darnit!!!

I will keep you updated. Thanks for the reply!

#4 am0s

am0s

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:05 PM

Sounds like the same thing I'm experiencing. No side effects at all. One thing I really liked about Wellbutrin was the energy it gave me, along with the loss of appetite.

I have to wait until tomorrow morning to call my insurance company to see if they will pay for the name brand. I hope they do. I want the real thing darnit!!!

#5 GottaRun

GottaRun

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

I have a new prescription for the name brand Wellbutrin - same dose. The doctor just wrote "medically necessary" at the top, so my insurance will cover it. I will start tomorrow, so I'll be able to compare the two. am0s - tell me what the Wellbutrin (name brand) side effects were for you. What can I expect?

#6 am0s

am0s

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

I actually just got my prescription changed back to the name brand xl as well today. Hehehe! That actavis was making me eat like crazy! LOL!

The name brand side effects were: headache, nervousness, insomnia, loss of appetite/weight loss, and dry mouth. They eventually taper off after a couple of weeks. The worst was the headache, but I just took an aspirin or ibuprofen for that. The insomnia also sucked! Luckily this time I have some Klonopin for those sleepless nights.

The weight loss went pretty quick in the beginning, but slowly tapered off after awhile. But it seemed like I could eat more than normal and not put any weight on. After about a month, I started to feel the therapeutic part of it. Wellbutrin works pretty good as an antidepressant. I also have adult ADD symptoms that it seems to help with as well.

I would always go with the brand name!!

I'm starting 300mg XL (name-brand) in the morning just as you are. I will keep you posted. Good luck!!

#7 GottaRun

GottaRun

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

I actually just got my prescription changed back to the name brand xl as well today. Hehehe! That actavis was making me eat like crazy! LOL!

The name brand side effects were: headache, nervousness, insomnia, loss of appetite/weight loss, and dry mouth. They eventually taper off after a couple of weeks. The worst was the headache, but I just took an aspirin or ibuprofen for that. The insomnia also sucked! Luckily this time I have some Klonopin for those sleepless nights.

The weight loss went pretty quick in the beginning, but slowly tapered off after awhile. But it seemed like I could eat more than normal and not put any weight on. After about a month, I started to feel the therapeutic part of it. Wellbutrin works pretty good as an antidepressant. I also have adult ADD symptoms that it seems to help with as well.

I would always go with the brand name!!

I'm starting 300mg XL (name-brand) in the morning just as you are. I will keep you posted. Good luck!!

Hey Amy! Just wondering how you're doing on the name brand. Do you still find it better than the Actavis? Side effects?

#8 cat98037

cat98037

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

[quote name='am0s' date='Mar 14 2010, 10:31 AM' post='613649']

Thanks!!! Hope to hear from you.

Hi Amy. I'm new to this forum. I have depression and used to take generic wellbutrin(actavis) along with zoloft. I had terrible side effects, like the headaches, heart pounding, racing thoughts but felt like I glued to my bed and no sleep for 5 days! I also lost 10lbs in one week. I abruptly stopped the wellbutrin and weaned off the zoloft. In the last 3 months, I've gained 40lbs, craving carbs and irritable, so, my doctor put me back on wellbutrin(actavis generic) 150mg twice daily. I have NO side effects and still feel irritable....snapping at people. I still crave carbs. Would like to lose the weight I gained when I went off the meds. I'm going to give the generic one more month before I ask for name brand, my insurance covers it. I will keep you posted on any changes. I'm sooooo glad I found this forum.

#9 liberty

liberty

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

I started on Actavis 300 XL about two weeks ago, after previously being on generic SR 100 for a couple of months and 200 for a week. I've definitely been feeling less depressed and more energetic, although this uptrend actually started shortly before I upped my dosage to 300. I am sleeping OK most nights, but often very jittery; it's more difficult to exercise fine motor control as my hands shake. I've cut out almost all caffeine, and that has helped with the jitters somewhat.

#10 cat98037

cat98037

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

Yes, definitely no caffiene while on Wellbutrin. It works on the dopamine and nor epinephrine receptors, which is why you have bursts of energy and jitters. I had the same symptoms when I first started generic WB. I tried to eat jello and it fell off the spoon! Ha!Ha! I weaned myself off all caffiene....it can be done. If you HAVE to have coffee, drink a small cup mid morning or you will just feel more jittery and nausea. I promise, I felt so amped up...it was hard to even remember to eat, thus the 10lb weight loss in one week. Since I've restarted it, none of the previous side effects have emerged. Good luck! All in all, generic(actavis) worked well for me. Fingers crossed this time around or I will switch to name brand.

#11 liberty

liberty

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

Yes, definitely no caffiene while on Wellbutrin. It works on the dopamine and nor epinephrine receptors, which is why you have bursts of energy and jitters.

I might have to cut down even further. Today, I thought I could get away with having a cup of white tea, which has the least caffeine of all real (not herbal) teas, in addition to my usual cup of black. Now my hands are shaking so bad I am dropping things. I'm still in a good mood, though!

#12 cat98037

cat98037

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

Liberty, are you on any other medications? Sometimes WB interacts funny with other meds and can increase the side effects. When I initially started WB the first time, I was on Zoloft as well. My doctor did not wean my up to 300mg WB....he just started 150mg twice a day. It was just too much for me. I had severe reactions to the meds...serotonin syndrome, which is why I went off ALL AD. In three months off meds, I gained weight and of course, the ugly depesiion returned, so I've gradually been on WB with increment doses of 150mg. So far, no side effects and I'm up to 150mg twice a day. Maybe you might need to decrease your dose a bit. I always say......YOU know your body best. I'm an ER nurse, so at least I get the benefit of kind of "dictating" my care to the doctor. BTW, I have a new doctor. The previous one who started me on all the high doses of AD was "fired" for lack of a better word...by me. When I went to his office confused, shaking, slurred speech, he told me those were all symptoms of depression! As I say, you know your body best. Check with your doctor to see if you can decrease the dose for a week and gradually taper up.

#13 liberty

liberty

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

Liberty, are you on any other medications? Sometimes WB interacts funny with other meds and can increase the side effects.

I'm on 40mg Prozac (generic) which my psych thinks I might be able to discontinue if the WB works well. I would love to get rid of Prozac's sexual side effects, which are not entirely ameliorated by the WB. I have an appt with my psych next week so I'll discuss my next moves with him then.

#14 cat98037

cat98037

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

Hi Liberty. Definitely discuss with your doctor. Prozac is a SSRI, just like Zoloft. The two together were not a good mix for me at all, even though my former doctor thought the combination was good. In fact, he kept wanting to increase the dose of both of them......which, as an ER nurse, I knew was not the right thing. I've read that a lot of doctors just keep pushing meds on you. Just be informed beforehand. I was not. I did not read or ask about AD. I found out the hard way but I research the heck out of things now and my new doc and I work really well together in regards to medication side effects. Remember....YOU know your body. Best Wishes.

#15 liberty

liberty

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:35 PM

Well after several weeks on 300mg XL and feeling more consistently positive and energetic than I had in years, yesterday I collapsed while walking down the street, began having seizures, and woke up with several emergency medical personnel hovering over me. I must have landed on my face and hands as they were all scratched up, and I needed stitches in my chin. I have no memory of the actual seizure incident. I didn't have any of the risk factors that would normally be associated with increased seizure risk, but taking 300mg was still a slight gamble.

I consulted a neurologist today and am getting MRI and EEG scans scheduled (already had a CAT scan and many other tests in the hospital), but regardless, looks like it's back to the drawing board with antidepressants. D***, I thought this one was going to be the solution too. Neurologist suggests looking into Effexor or Cymbalta so I guess I'll discuss those with my psych next...

#16 Pahndora2012

Pahndora2012

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

Sooo I've been on various version of Wellbutrin since July 2008. I started Teva budeprion, got sick of the monster I became due to the bad release cycle (note: it is now in an FDA report)... so I switched to t he name brand... sure, not all name brands are the same but then I started to be more 'normal'... then I tried Actavis a month and a half ago. The dizziness and disorientation have not subsided so I am switching back to name brand ASAP. There's certain side effects that were stronger with the name brand and this was not one of them, at least for me. The dizziness was something I had when I very first started the Teva budeprion too, but never on the name brand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users