Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Has Anyone Here Committed Themselves To A Hospital For Severe Anxiety

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OverAnalyzer

OverAnalyzer

ID: 26970

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

Having a difficult time at the moment. My GAD, OCD and Panic is cyclic and waxes and wanes. Currently on Rermeron 15mg (for sleep), Ativan 0.5mg twice daily and just added Buspar 5mg twice daily increase to 15 mg daily next week. Plan is to get off the Ativan once stabilized.

Sometimes I get do panicked I feel like I am going to hole and have a nervous breakdown (I already had one 2 years ago which was the onset of this mess).

The Dr. gave me Prozac 10mg to augment iwth the Remeron and BUspar. They say that Prozac works best for OCD and Anxiety. I am too obsessed about the side effects to try it. Mainly this stupid PSSD (Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction). I took one pill and felt pretty good believe it or not (I am very sensitive to meds and can usually feel some effect on first day of starting). Anyways as the night came the OCD and racing thoughts crept in to my head about Prozac and PSSD so I stopped taking it.

I feel like maybe I should commit myself to a Mental Hospital where I am forced to take proper meds for my Anxiety and OCD. I mean I cannot function a lot of days and am housebound most of the time.

Getting up everyday is a chore and as soon as I rise the thoughts, worries start.

Still holding out hope FOr BUspar though, it's Day 3 and I do feel some effects.

SO has anyone been committed for severe anxiety to a hospital and did it help you, what was it like?

I feel like if maybe I just took the PRozac the Obsessive worries about PSSD would stop...but it's so hard to take something if you are not comfortable with putting it in your mouth. At least with Rmeron, Ativan, Lyrica, Buspar whatever happens is reversible it is the permanent PSSD that scares the you know what out of me. Any advice?

Thanks

Edited by OverAnalyzer, 10 March 2010 - 07:04 PM.

#2 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

ID: 10376

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:29 AM

Hi OverAnalyzer

I think that going to hospital could be a really good idea to get your anxiety under control and get the right meds for you.
Some people have had really good experiences, especially if they go in voluntarily.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#3 Pink Sock

Pink Sock

ID: 43119

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

OA, everyone is different, but I have been on antidepressants for years and it has never affected my sex drive/life. And I have never heard about the side effect of an antidepressant-depressed sex drive not recovering once the person quit the a/d. If that happens, I would have to think there are contributing factors.

#4 Bribarian

Bribarian

ID: 45053

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

Boy you sound like someone I know.

I've recently been worried about the whole PSSD thing, but there's no proof that it happens from the ADs. You have to remember that if a person stops their AD they may become depressed and anxious again, and that effect sex drive as well.

When I'm feeling anxious, I think I'm going to have to go to a "mental hospital" It's just irrational thinking my man. I know it feels real, but anxiety plays tricks on you. You're not going crazy and you're not going to end up in a mental institution. You're just in a temporary sensitized state that any human being is capable of being in.

I worry as much as you do, especially about taking drugs, but you kind of have to accept that you'll at least be a little bit calmer on the drugs. I take 10 mgs lexapro 25mgs seroquel. And I have ativan nearby in case of extreme anxiety and panic.

I don't like taking any of them though to be honest, even when they make me feel good. It feels so fake.

Edited by Bribarian, 13 March 2010 - 07:59 PM.

Panic Disorder/GAD/OCD/Clinical Depression

300mg Effexor XR 50mg Seroquel 1mg ativan PRN

#5 govinda

govinda

Advanced Member

ID: 45835

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

Overanylzer,

Maybe you could talk with your doctor and attend an outpatient day program until you start feeling better if you do not feel ready, or feel the need to go in to a hospital to get your meds under controll.

Good luck!

Best wishes and hope you feel better soon.
We come from stronger stuff than feelings,
Essence does not fail or fade, diminish, or trade reality for illusion.

We are wordless, wide and wise beyond time. Within us is a flame of truth that never dies. Let that be the focal point of life. Let that be the light aht guides us from the shadows.- Danna Faulds

#6 Ahoffman

Ahoffman

ID: 47650

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:24 AM

I have been in two hospitals three times (one twice). It really depends on which ones you go to. I was sent my third time to another city almost 300 miles away, after the first time you get use to it. One there was hardly anyone there and it was long days of sitting in a room alone and thats when i began to hallucinate without drugs, walls started moving and things would change. The one in a different city was well a blast. All my worries were gone, there were people feeding me, we had tv, games, group, and really pretty and nice student nurses would come in and you can talk to the one you wanted to. The only problem about the hospital far away was that it was very unorganized, they had a planner and set things to do like gym everyday and i was there for a while and we only went once. Two people attempted suicide in there while i was there and they didnt die but i just thought id add that. So you will be with people that you say "Man, and i thought i was crazy". I was known as one of the more crazy people in there because of my panic attacks as well as paranoia so there was some respect from the other patients but if your gonna commit yourself your probably gonna want to be let loose after about a day. The only problem is with committing yourself is that ive seen people go in and want to get out but the doctors didnt let them, its their way of showing you your not crazy and let the doctors treat the people who really are. A few times we the patients would gather as a group and make a plan to do something very wild and try to get "code green" which is tranquilized haha so there was times where you would go against the ward just like in "one flew over the kookoo's nest". If you really think you need it you should commit yourself and be ready for whats on the inside rather than just do it out of curiosity. Best of luck and talk to your doctor about it. I was sent there from medical hospitals so i didnt commit myself. If you really feel yourself as out of control, do it and it will help, if you think you are manageable without dont go.
I just saw this post, sorry if youve already made a decision but if you have more questions id be happy to answer them.

#7 infobabe1

infobabe1

ID: 46278

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

I have been in two hospitals three times (one twice). It really depends on which ones you go to. I was sent my third time to another city almost 300 miles away, after the first time you get use to it. One there was hardly anyone there and it was long days of sitting in a room alone and thats when i began to hallucinate without drugs, walls started moving and things would change. The one in a different city was well a blast. All my worries were gone, there were people feeding me, we had tv, games, group, and really pretty and nice student nurses would come in and you can talk to the one you wanted to. The only problem about the hospital far away was that it was very unorganized, they had a planner and set things to do like gym everyday and i was there for a while and we only went once. Two people attempted suicide in there while i was there and they didnt die but i just thought id add that. So you will be with people that you say "Man, and i thought i was crazy". I was known as one of the more crazy people in there because of my panic attacks as well as paranoia so there was some respect from the other patients but if your gonna commit yourself your probably gonna want to be let loose after about a day. The only problem is with committing yourself is that ive seen people go in and want to get out but the doctors didnt let them, its their way of showing you your not crazy and let the doctors treat the people who really are. A few times we the patients would gather as a group and make a plan to do something very wild and try to get "code green" which is tranquilized haha so there was times where you would go against the ward just like in "one flew over the kookoo's nest". If you really think you need it you should commit yourself and be ready for whats on the inside rather than just do it out of curiosity. Best of luck and talk to your doctor about it. I was sent there from medical hospitals so i didnt commit myself. If you really feel yourself as out of control, do it and it will help, if you think you are manageable without dont go.
I just saw this post, sorry if youve already made a decision but if you have more questions id be happy to answer them.

TO answer the question...yes high anxiety, no sleep, an uptick that runs in my family. Can't sit still, worrier. Not ADHD or caffeine induced either. No past abuse or PSTD it is inherited or a predisposition..totally sucks.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

#8 OverAnalyzer

OverAnalyzer

ID: 26970

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for the info and interesting responses.

I am not keen on out-patient as I did that for a few weeks and found it to be not very helpful. We just learned about Anxiety, the fight or flight, the types of medications and were given a workbook and reading/situational exercises to work through...it almost felt more like school to be honest. We all sat in a big classroom like setting and would break off into smaller groups of 3 or 4 people to discuss things. There was no one on one at all which what I had hoped for. I already have a very good understanding of Anxiety disorders and what/how to recognize the physical and emotional sensations as they happen, it's the compulisive behavious and obsessive worries that will not leave my mind no matter how many deep breathing exercises or self talks I do at the time they are happening - this is what can sometimes make me question my sanity when it goes on for hours at a time - that is the problem for me anyways.

Cheers for the responses I will keep myself out of the Mental Ward for now anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users