Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
_mandy

Wellbutrin For Low Libido?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I went in for a routine physical with a new GP recently. Everything checked out great, but I did tell her that my sex drive is like...0. I have gained ~40 lbs over the past 2.5 years and I'm sure that I've gotten mildly depressed because of that. And also my self-esteem is lower for that reason. She suggested trying Wellbutrin as both a possible appetite suppressant and a booster for the libido.

She put me on Budeprion SR 100mg. She told me to take just one pill each morning for the first week and then to increase to 1 pill twice daily. I have never been on an anti-depressant before and am kinda freaked out by all of the stories I have read online about possible side effects and how hard it can be to get off the meds at some point.

ANYway...have any of you found it to be helpful in the libido department? I am on Day 2 today. So far...I have noticed I haven't been starving between my meals so that's definitely something.

I do feel pretty spaced out though. I'm hoping that will pass. Finding it hard to get motivated to get my work done. Oh and a VERY slight metallic taste in my mouth.

Any thoughts/experiences are greatly appreciated!

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I started on citalopram last Dec for depression. I wasnt having libido problems but could not orgasm. 6 weeks ago a dr (not mine he was on vacation) stopped the citalopram and started me on 150mg of welbutrin and my sexual problems went away(I would even say got better) but my depression got way worse. So three weeks ago the dr added citalopram back and all is good.

The welbutrin made the anxiety and depression worse and I had no energy what so ever. But I was like that before welbutrin so it just made it worse for me.

Posted

Thanks for the reply, Misty.

See I have never considered myself depressed...if anything just generally down about my weight and I'm hoping this can help with my self confidence and libido. We will see. Only time will tell, right? I hope I don't BECOME depressed ;)

Posted

Definitely helps with libido. I'm on a combination of anti-depressants and my doc added 100mg WB SR to counter some of the sexual side effects of the other AD's; it's worked, and very quickly too!

Posted

Haha...thanks DT! That side effect hasn't kicked in...yet. Tomorrow is my first day taking 200mg (100mg am/pm)...we'll see!

Posted (edited)

I lost my Libido literally one day before I started on ADs specifically Sertraline 50mg. I'm gonna see the Doc on Monday and am going to ask him about Wellbutrin - do you think that'll help kick my Libido back into action? Cheers.

Edited by Bradoonee

Posted

Hi All,

Wellbutrin seems to be the only antidepressant medication that is obviously effective for libido problems?

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Posted

Fwiw, WB definitely revs up my libido. A lot.