Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Very Tired And Sleepy On Prozac. Will This Wear Off ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Matty954

Matty954

ID: 42208

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:12 PM

Hi everybody,
I am 20 years old and I've been feeling depressed for more than six months now. After the diagnosis my doc first prescribed me Effexor and I've taken it until one month ago. It worked out pretty well at first, but then the effects on my mood started to wear off and I relapsed. I was in a such dark place. I had no energy, I was worn out, and felt like doing nothing, so my doc put me on Prozac.
I've been taking Prozac (10mg so far) for 10 days now and I feel much more depressed.
It kind of worries me because my doc told me this drug was supposed to "boost" me, and give me the energy I needed.
The problem is I still feel this fatigue and it's ******* me. I reached this point where I am desperate since I figure even the drugs that are supposed to make up for my lack of energy are helpless. I don't wanna start getting hyped up on amphets, just to get back my energy.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if you could share your experiences and maybe cheer me up a little bit. How long did it take for Prozac to kick in in your case ?? And above all is it possible to feel more tired and emotionally drained at first and then become more energetic once Prozac starts working?
I also heard of a possible combination of Prozac and Wellbutrin. What about it ? Maybe it could help me to get back on my feet. But still I don't understand why i can be so tired and listless when I'm taking meds to give me plenty of get-up-and-go's
  • sad_girl06 likes this

#2 Matty954

Matty954

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

So, from what I've read on this forum, I am not very optimistic. It seems that fatigue and drowsiness are not likely to go away once they start...
I am kind of desperate and I don't know if I should keep taking my meds or switch to another AD. It's been two weeks now.
Is there any chance this might ease off nevertheless ?
Has anyone here had a good experience with that?

#3 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

ID: 10376

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:14 AM

Hi Matty

You may want to give it some more time. It can take up to 6 to 8 weeks to work properly and for some of the side effects to wear off.
If in a few weeks you are still feeling this way, then it would be best to go back to your doc.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#4 curexcomplex

curexcomplex

ID: 45166

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:19 AM

You need to give it more time, it takes a couple of weeks to work, it is very fustrating trying to find the right antidepressant its a bit of a game of switching around. Still I'd say its too early to give up on it. Give it three or four weeks and if its still like this switch, you know yourself if its not working.

if it makes you feel better I've had a horrific time starting on the PTrain though they seem to have radically settled down today, I'm on day three so far and the first two days I spent throwing up everything shaking and tripping out like I was on acid XD

Forget me nots, second thoughts, live in isloation.
Heads or tails, fairy tales in my mind. Are we we are.
Are we we are the waiting unknown.
The rage and love story of my life.
The Jesus of Suburbia is a lie.

#5 Matty954

Matty954

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:38 AM

I decided to take my Prozac at dinner time, so hopefully it helps me sleeping and the drowsiness will wear off soon. Is anyone here taking prozac in the evening ?

#6 carolynv

carolynv

ID: 45822

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

Hi everybody,
I am 20 years old and I've been feeling depressed for more than six months now. After the diagnosis my doc first prescribed me Effexor and I've taken it until one month ago. It worked out pretty well at first, but then the effects on my mood started to wear off and I relapsed. I was in a such dark place. I had no energy, I was worn out, and felt like doing nothing, so my doc put me on Prozac.
I've been taking Prozac (10mg so far) for 10 days now and I feel much more depressed.
It kind of worries me because my doc told me this drug was supposed to "boost" me, and give me the energy I needed.
The problem is I still feel this fatigue and it's ******* me. I reached this point where I am desperate since I figure even the drugs that are supposed to make up for my lack of energy are helpless. I don't wanna start getting hyped up on amphets, just to get back my energy.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if you could share your experiences and maybe cheer me up a little bit. How long did it take for Prozac to kick in in your case ?? And above all is it possible to feel more tired and emotionally drained at first and then become more energetic once Prozac starts working?
I also heard of a possible combination of Prozac and Wellbutrin. What about it ? Maybe it could help me to get back on my feet. But still I don't understand why i can be so tired and listless when I'm taking meds to give me plenty of get-up-and-go's

I had an unusual experience starting Prozac... it launched me into a hypo manic episode within a week of starting it. But I did experience extreme tiredness and fatigue during the first 3 weeks or so. Then it turned into a feeling of being on edge whenever I was trying to fall asleep or when I would first wake up in the morning.

My sister is on Prozac and she also experienced fatigue during the first month or so that she was on it.

#7 Matty954

Matty954

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

Hi everybody,

I had an unusual experience starting Prozac... it launched me into a hypo manic episode within a week of starting it. But I did experience extreme tiredness and fatigue during the first 3 weeks or so. Then it turned into a feeling of being on edge whenever I was trying to fall asleep or when I would first wake up in the morning.

My sister is on Prozac and she also experienced fatigue during the first month or so that she was on it.

Thanks for your account! Has this side effect eventually worn off after for your sister? What about you, are you still on Prozac?

#8 carolynv

carolynv

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:50 AM

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your account! Has this side effect eventually worn off after for your sister? What about you, are you still on Prozac?

Yeah the fatigue wore off for her too. I stopped taking it about 5 weeks ago. My sister had only been put on 10mg a day and thought she wasn't seeing much of a difference. I was on 20mg, but since I was feeling euphoria within a week of starting it, my doctor thinks it may have uncovered latent Bipolar II, which makes my experience somewhat atypical. 10mg is a very small dose so it isn't surprising you're not feeling anything yet. You may not feel anything for another few weeks.

#9 Matty954

Matty954

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:05 PM

Hi everybody,

Yeah the fatigue wore off for her too. I stopped taking it about 5 weeks ago. My sister had only been put on 10mg a day and thought she wasn't seeing much of a difference. I was on 20mg, but since I was feeling euphoria within a week of starting it, my doctor thinks it may have uncovered latent Bipolar II, which makes my experience somewhat atypical. 10mg is a very small dose so it isn't surprising you're not feeling anything yet. You may not feel anything for another few weeks.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate! I forgot to ask you when you took your Prozac. At night (since it used to make you drowsy) or in the morning ?

#10 ChitownBex

ChitownBex

ID: 43373

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

I have been taking it at night right around dinner time -- this seems to be okay with me ---

#11 carolynv

carolynv

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:40 AM

I think I started out taking it in the morning the first 2-3 weeks and then switched to nighttime to see if it made a difference with the drowsiness. Given the timing I'm not sure if the drowsiness wore off because of the switch or because the Prozac was hitting my system fully.

#12 Ruth

Ruth

ID: 43316

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:39 AM

I felt really sleepy for a couple of weeks, I had been signed off work so just lay on the sofa all day. I've been on for about 3 months now and it's deffo kicked in and I feel much more normal now.
Depression/anxiety/stress, 20 mg Prozac per day, trying to get through my nursing degree at university to get qualified...

#13 Matty954

Matty954

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

How long did the tiredness last in your case ? I'm feeling a bit better now but still very tired and sleepy.

#14 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

Hi, I'm not a professional but am a bit concerned about your depression and your age. If you have any suicidal thoughts, please call your doctor. If it just remains a depression you can handle, stick it out for at least 4 weeks.
iowa

#15 jakoons

jakoons

Just Registered

ID: 108914

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

I take 20mg of Prozac in the AM and 40mg in the PM.  It does make me groggy.... but I still need Xanax for anxiety.  I am thinking of taking all 60mg at night.  Any comment?

#16 Nibs

Nibs

ID: 61549

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Holy snap! I just increased my dosage to 20mg a few weeks ago and I am so tired I cannot even do anything. I'm sooooo tired. I'm even on adderall and I still can't get this fogginess away. 

• sad_girl06 likes this

#17 somewhatstuck

somewhatstuck

ID: 109576

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

hmm in my case i was on 20mg prozac for 4 months and had no sleepyness. after being switched to 40mg and taking it in the morning i am literally EXHAUSTED. could seriously sleep all day. serious brain fog when im awake. it has been 2 weeks of this. not sure how long i will wait to find out if it goes away with time or not........ would also love some information on this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users